• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games Explains Why Horizon Zero Dawn Doesn’t Need a Multiplayer Mode

This is disappointing. Bearing in mind that Guerrilla Games are much better at multiplayer than they are at single player.

Killzone 2 campaign was actually a great experience, but KZ3 & KZ:SF campaigns were terrible compared, and even then all their multiplayer components were superior.

Mman235

It's nice that we seem to be moving on from the fad of tacking on MP even when it has nothing to do with the vision of the game and is dead in a week.

This is disappointing. Bearing in mind that Guerrilla Games are much better at multiplayer than they are at single player.

Killzone 2 campaign was actually a great experience, but KZ3 & KZ:SF campaigns were terrible compared, and even then all their multiplayer components were superior.
They need to make single player work great first before they jump on MP. It makes no sense for a game of this caliber for a team that's jumping on a new IP to strain themselves even further with MP. Lets hope they nail SP down first.

It's nice that we seem to be moving on from the fad of tacking on MP even when it has nothing to do with the vision of the game and is dead in a week.

I wonder how much work went into the MP mode in God of War Ascension and how quickly it was just abandoned by players.

QaaQer

They need to make single player work great first before they jump on MP. It makes no sense for a game of this caliber for a team that's jumping on a new IP to strain themselves even further with MP. Lets hope they nail SP down first.

that is the message.

I'm really looking forard to seeing what the metarpg hooks are. I'm hoping the hunting is the method of settlement building, sort of a single player monhun X minecraft.

NotMyPsn

Banned
If the game is good, there is no need to explain these things.
No one was saying that bioshock needed MP, and when it was announced with 2, people where asking why...

Not every game needs multiplayer.

Not every game needs single player modes. I wish resources had been taken from Battlefronts shitty horde modes and placed into the multi. Battlefield 4 had this problem too, it launched broken online and with a shitty campaign that could have been ignored in favour of getting the game working at launch.
Same with Street Fighter V, why they are hyping their story mode is beyond me. The business model of the game is clearly based on the competitive mode of the game, new characters, outfits, stages etc over the seasons. The story mode will be a long forgotten whisper when season 2 and 3 are going. So why even bother with it? Put more effort and resources into the multiplayer.

Not every game has to do everything.

Koobion

Not every game needs single player modes. I wish resources had been taken from Battlefronts shitty horde modes and placed into the multi. Battlefield 4 had this problem too, it launched broken online and with a shitty campaign that could have been ignored in favour of getting the game working at launch.
Same with Street Fighter V, why they are hyping their story mode is beyond me. The business model of the game is clearly based on the competitive mode of the game, new characters, outfits, stages etc over the seasons. The story mode will be a long forgotten whisper when season 2 and 3 are going. So why even bother with it? Put more effort and resources into the multiplayer.

Yet lots of people wish Battlefront had a single player campaign. You can't please everyone, but arguments can certainly be made on a case by case basis.

Banned
They shouldn't have to explain. Not every game needs a tacked on multiplayer. There's nothing wrong with single player games.

Yeoman

The game caught my interest the second I saw the trailer. I'm glad they're not going to drain any resources tacking on an unneeded multiplayer.

Good on you Guerrilla.

There have been many games that I feel were worse overall packages when they went the tacked on MP route. Glad they aren't doing that.

captainpat

I'd rather have the multiplayer. Guerilla games seems big enough or hell get someone else to do it. They got Sony money.

Freeman

Banned
If I was a PR guy my instructions would be to just not talk about features your game doesn't have, you don't need to explain why it doesn't have a multiplayer mode. It just doesn't have it. Whether it needs it or not is up for people to decide when they play the game.

The Order is a good example of how not to handle this stuff.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't think the game needs it. It's okay for games not to have multiplayer.

However, it's not like it's some crazy wacko idea for a game with some strong Monster Hunter influences to have multiplayer.

QaaQer

Most multi's do need some single player stuff so people are jumping into multi without any practice. & it's nice if there is some semblance of campaign and not just tutorials.

As others have said not every game needs multiplayer.

I actually prefer single player games that are DLC-free, but hey that's just me.

post-S

KZ3's single player is not that bad, it's just that they completely screwed the pacing with those random ammo boxes.
KZ3's multiplayer is terrible compared to KZ2 tho.

Some Nobody

I would venture that it doesn't work backwards like that. Evolve and Titanfall had no story modes and were forgotten within months after release. In Evolve's case people cited the absolutely massive amount of unnecessary DLC, but in Titanfall's case many people said they definitely skipped because of a lack of SP.

SF V is hyping their story because MK9, Injustice, and MK X saw great success due to their story. The FGC is an impressive size but not large enough to consistently do numbers like that. They'll get the game regardless, but casuals are going for story mode. Injustice 2 is almost guaranteed to get my money because I'm sure it'll have another cool story mode. If it doesn't, I don't care that I love the fuck out of DC, I'll pass.

I think the actual question is is this game coming out this year or will it be delayed? If we don't see any new footage of this, Dreams, and TLG until E3, I will start getting worried. :\ This is a massive new IP. It looks like they will focus on SP in the first title to ensure single player is good and possibly add MP on the sequel if they can make it work.

I'm pretty much not believing any release date until the game goes gold. That may sound extreme, but the same people who'll call me paranoid are the same ones who will be in any delay thread saying things like "But you confirmed", either in disbelief or spouting mindless vitriol at the developers. It just, does not feel like they're ready to bring this out this year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
After years of throwaway garbage multiplayer components, i feel sad that devs have to explain away not including one.

I think the reason why they had to answer this question at all is that a lot of gamers now don't think kindly of SP or MP only games unless they carry the title of GTA or Fallout or The Witcher, especially when they are dropping $60.

TBH I'm surprised the Witcher did as well as it did because lots of newer games that launched before it, especially non-rpg's, have performed pretty poorly (compared to MP titles) as a standalone SP/MP only experience

What I really want is someone to challenge GTA for once & actually give me a great SP experience backed with a MP good enough to constantly come back to it because the last time that happened to me was probably COD4.

Good on Guerilla though, at least they are offering us something completely new from them and their history. That alone is exciting enough, can't wait to try it. Easily one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They shouldn't have to. I'm liking this semi trend of single player only games making a comeback.

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein New Order
Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 3
Dragon Age Inquisition
Horizon

Keep it coming devs.

Mexen

If this gets a sequel, I look forward to their explanation of how multi-player was an essential design decision. Lol.

Seriously though, I like that all the effort is going to SP. I expect a rich experience.

I'm happy that they have the balls to actually make an rpg where it isn't a "make your character, choose your adventure" with tacked on multiplayer game. Games with character creation instead of a set protagonist usually results in the story being very general and vague, since it has to encompass all player types.

Rpg's with set characters, like Geralt from Witcher, give the writers freedom to develop a deep and interesting story. That, I believe, is why many stories in rpg's *cough* Fallout 4 *cough* suffer.

And they have said it's a single player rpg, so why do they need to explain that there isn't a multiplayer component?? Makes no sense to me...

I'm pretty much not believing any release date until the game goes gold. That may sound extreme, but the same people who'll call me paranoid are the same ones who will be in any delay thread saying things like "But you confirmed", either in disbelief or spouting mindless vitriol at the developers. It just, does not feel like they're ready to bring this out this year.
Yeah... To me, the red flag was this game not showing up at PSX (along with listed games I mentioned). Even the PGW demo a few months later was the exact same thing, same location. I imagined we would get a 5-10 minute town gameplay trailer at PSX with release date and some unique mission during E3 to seal the hype. The fact we got nothing out of Dreams, TLG, Horizon & Rime this PSX makes me very skeptical any of these games will make it this year.

prwxv3

Yeah... To me, the red flag was this game not showing up at PSX (along with listed games I mentioned). Even the PGW demo a few months later was the exact same thing, same location. I imagined we would get a 5-10 minute town gameplay trailer at PSX with release date and some unique mission during E3 to seal the hype. The fact we got nothing out of Dreams, TLG, Horizon & Rime this PSX makes me very skeptical any of these games will make it this year.
Wat. There was a huge dreams stream for psx that showed a tone of new stuff.

And they are keeping TLG stuff secret because of the nature of the game. They did have the interactive trico exhibit at PSX though.

Shinypogs

I was hoping for a co-op mode.

I was also hoping they'd have have a separate co-op thing where you were random people from the MC's tribe going out to hunt cyber dinos. I don't think this game needed such a feature but it's the sort of thing where I'd actually want it just for the uniqueness of the setting. I don't want multiplayer where I fight other people, I want to track and battle cybernetic monsters with my friends.

I'm fine with a pure singleplayer experience though, given that they are my usual preference when it comes to games.

Dragon

Banned
YOU FOOL WHAT ARE YOU DOING! Don't give them ideas, we have to live with this Zero Dawn monstrosity already. :'(

Horizon: Eclipsing Dawnset will complete the trilogy with background about how the Sun became what it is.

Top Bottom