• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games/Sony doubles the price of Horizon Zero Down on the Brazilian Steam after one day of good selling.

GAMETA

Banned
I mean, I know it's random and all, but fuck man, I'm too pissed not to rant.

They opened the pre-orders yesterday, the game was R$ 99. A good and decent price, it was as if they made sure to understand the reality of the brazilian market and set a decent price for the consumer. I was truly happy, I was truly very happy, so much so that I though, you know what, I'll show them my appreciation and buy the pre-order, which isn't something that I usually do, but "I'll buy it this week" because they deserve it and I would like to support them.

One day later, boom, it's costing R$ 200 now. 200 fucking brazilian bucks, out of fucking nowhere. That's 1/5 of the country's minimum wage. Had they announced the game at $200 I wouldn't mind, some developers do, it's expensive as fuck but we understand our currency isn't worth much, so that would've been alright...

But fuck man, release at a price just to double it the next day because it's probably selling well, this is fucked up, this shit pisses me off, it pisses me off because this is them spitting on us. I'm not buying this fucking game anymore.

And it wasn't a bug, it stood there the whole frigging day, they did it consciously. Yeah yeah, I get it, it's their product, they have the right to do whatever the fuck they want and blablabla, and I get it, and I even agree with that, but fuck them. Fuck them. Fuck you Guerrilla. Fuck you Sony. Motherfuckers.,

I don't mind not playing the fucking game, it just drives me crazy to be treated as a fucking cockroach. Fuck them.

Last edited:

iorek21

I just looked at EGS, it's still R$94, very cheap move from Sony if it's not a mistake.

Argentina's price was R$40, now it's up to R$150.

This sucks

Portugeezer

yeah, I get it, it's their product, they have the right to do whatever the fuck they want and blablabla, and I get it, and I even agree with that, but fuck them. Fuck them. Fuck you Guerrilla. Fuck you Sony. Motherfuckers.,

I don't mind not playing the fucking game, it just drives me crazy to be treated as fucking cockroach. Fuck them.
tenor.gif

HE1NZ

Banned
Well thats a cunt move for a 3 year old game you can get for 10 bucks.
Wonder if they pull the same shit with death stranding.
Just get it on ps4 or wait for possible patch on ps5.
The price on DS was very high from the beginning. Which lead me to believe Horizon price was a mistake and I preordered it ASAP. I wasn't going to spend more than $12 anyway, so whoever made that mistake shouldn't be fired.

GAMETA

Banned
You don't think that's the case? The fact that almost every single thing that comes to this motherfucking country costs 2 to 5 times more than they do at other places? And I'm not talking about the currency, I'm talking about base prices being double, tripled quadru-whatever the word is. And it's not just taxes, and it's not just locals doing shady business, no...

They do it because they know people will pay for overpriced shit and they laugh at us for buying it. Pieces of shit like us can't have decent things for decent values, can we?

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
You don't think that's the case? The fact that almost every single thing that comes to this motherfucking country costs 2 to 5 times more than they do at other places? And I'm not talking about the currency, I'm talking about base prices being double, tripled quadru-whatever the word is.

They do it because they know people will pay for overpriced shit and they laugh at us for buying it. Pieces of shit like us can't have decent things for decent values, can we?
Doesn't Brazil tax videogames like it's their only source of revenue?

Jtibh

Banned
You don't think that's the case? The fact that almost every single thing that comes to this motherfucking country costs 2 to 5 times more than they do at other places? And I'm not talking about the currency, I'm talking about base prices being double, tripled quadru-whatever the word is. And it's not just taxes, and it's not just locals doing shady business, no...

I know shit about brazil but i try to understand the situation.
So these pirces are digital prices yet they still put tax on it?
Over here digital store prices never have sales tax . So its cheaper than retail.

Also cant you just open a us account and buy through that for less?

GAMETA

Banned
Doesn't Brazil tax videogames like it's their only source of revenue?
Digital games sold on foreign platforms don't pay local taxes. Steam, PSN, Nintendo Eshop... Lots of devs/publishers/stores offer better prices for 3rd world countries because they understand it's better to sell with a discount than not selling at all... but I'm not demanding them to do any of that, I've bought a lot of games for R$200 or more, and did so with no problem whatsoever.

It's like I said, I wouldn't mind if the game was announced at R$200. The fucked up practice was to announce it at R$90 and double it a day later, probably because it was selling well. This is what pisses me off.

Last edited:

mhirano

Over here digital store prices never have sales tax . So its cheaper than retail.

You can do that but even that isn't worth it now because our currency is screwed and worth almost nothing.

HE1NZ

Banned
Digital games sold on foreign platforms don't pay local taxes. Steam, PSN, Nintendo Eshop... Lots of devs/publishers/stores offer better prices for 3rd world countries because they understand it's better to sell with a discount than not selling at all... but I'm not demanding them to do any of that, I've bought a lot of games for R$200 or more, and did so with no problem whatsoever.

It's like I said, I wouldn't mind if the game was announced at R$200. The fucked up practice was to announce it at R$90 and double it a day later, probably because it was selling well. This is what pisses me off.
Actually they do. I know my country established a tax on every digital purchase a few years ago. But don't know about Brazil.

Jtibh

Banned
You can do that but even that isn't worth it now because our currency is screwed and worth almost nothing.
So what are we looking at if we compare pricing?
And is it really due to exchange rate or does your goverment add duty or some other crap on top?
Over hear gaming has never been cheaper then it is now.

iorek21

I don't really have a problem with the actual price, my problem is with the sudden change of the said price.

It's VERY unfair to change the price of something in less than 24h making it 100% more expensive. Worst still, why is the price unchanged in Epic Store? This makes no sense.

Actually, I think that this hurts some of Brazil's consumer defense.

I'd advise GAMETA GAMETA to report the game on Steam while citing some of PROCOM's sections

GAMETA

Banned

On Steam I'd need a VPN to buy at other countries, plus it's a shady practice.

But that's not the problem. Steam/publishers/devs all set different prices for different countries based on their economy. So if you access the Russian Steam, for example, you'll see that the games cost extremely cheap. Same for Argentina, Chile, Mexico and so on... Brazil, on the other hand, having an economy just as fucked up as those countries, doesn't get the discounts anymore. We used to, but not anymore... the reason is not very clear but it involves a Brazilian congressman doing partnerships with Bethesda some years ago, as well partnerships with local physical copy sellers, and doubling the prices from one day to another... it's fucked up to the core....

So now, what probably happened is. Guerrilla/Sony sets the price to R$90, a decent value based on the Steam price suggestions by economy, it starts selling very well, and they decide to double it because "hey, these fuckers are buying too much, we're losing money". That or Sony Brazil (that loves to fuck the Brazilian fans, the PS4 being sold by the equivalent of USD $1200 at launch (R$4000) being a good example) told them to double it...

I don't know, it just really pisses me off to be spit on.

Last edited:
On Steam I'd need a VPN to buy at other countries, plus it's a shady practice.

But that's not the problem. Steam/publishers/devs all set different prices for different countries based on their economy. So if you access the Russian Steam, for example, you'll see that the games cost extremely cheap. Same for Argentina, Chile, Mexico and so on... Brazil, on the other hand, having an economy just as fucked up as those countries, doesn't get the discounts anymore. We used to, but not anymore... the reason is not very clear but it involves a Brazilian congressman doing partnerships with Bethesda some years ago, as well partnerships with local physical copy sellers, and doubling the prices from one day to another... it's fucked up to the core....

So now, what probably happened is. Guerrilla/Sony sets the price to R$90, a decent value based on the Steam price suggestions by economy, it starts selling very well, and they decide to double it because "hey, these fuckers are buying too much, we're losing money". That or Sony Brazil (that loves to fuck the Brazilian fans, the PS4 being sold by the equivalent of USD $1200 at launch (R$4000) being a good example) told them to double it...

I don't know, it just really pisses me off to be spit on.
Maybe we should pirate more.

GAMETA

Banned
Maybe we should pirate more.
I don't like pirating. I don't have a problem with emulating old games or watching movies that aren't on any platform, but other than that I don't like the practice. I support the original whenever possible.

On this one though, I rather not play it.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Can't you just use a VPN and buy it from different country's Steam store? Or have they finally blocked that?

Exede

Shm maybe i'm reading this wrong but doesn't this chart say that europe got screwed over not brazil? Even at R$ 200 it's way cheaper than europs R$ 300 (50€)

Holammer

There's obviously problems with regional pricing, so I'm waiting till Monday before I buy it. Maybe they'll adjust it by then.
In my region it costs 49,99€ while it costs aprox 36€ in the UK and Eastern European countries where the average wage is much lower they're still expected to pay 49.99€. That's almost 1/6th of the minimum wage there.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So a bunch of people abused the system so they had to raise the price blame those abusers. I am laughing i told everyone this is why Sony is stupid to release games on PC. Enjoy that 70% of 19 dollars. As i said the market is not worth chasing they are the cheapest out there. Your trading 60 dollar sales for sub 20 dollar sales.

mhirano

Shm maybe i'm reading this wrong but doesn't this chart say that europe got screwed over not brazil? Even at R$ 200 it's way cheaper than europs R$ 300 (50€)
That chart is a straight up currency conversion. It doesn't acknowledge differences in local economies, purchasing power, etc...

GAMETA

Banned
Well, you get paid in Euros, right? You can't compare currency like this because the economical reality of the country adapts to its currency. R$300 in Brazil is "somewhat" what 200-300€ is to you.

Minimum wage in Brazil is R$ 980 a month... that will give you a better idea.

Shin

Banned
Told ya their greed knows no boundaries.
They act like they are starving harder than some countries that its the driving force in their decision making.

You got fucked for your one sided and blind love. While it applies to everything this is a shorty move, one of many but all is forgiven because they are called Sony (Group).

Paracelsus

It's not just South America.

On one hand, it's a first party title, they didn't have to do this.
On the other, it was bundled since launch and could be found for free after few months. > 50€ after 44 months.
If you could wait that long, you can wait the next sale.

Top Bottom