• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kade

Got my pre-purchase. Almost didn't link my GW1 account because I thought It'd be useless but then I remembered all those mini-pets I have in my HoM. I want that full Heritage armour set.

01DragonFly

That's strange because I asked him if it was the 3 day headstart and he said yes, but I only put down $5 for it.

yeah go to the store and change it , they are suppost to charge you full (59.99 or whatever it cost in your there)
if they give you a recipe with a code , in the recipe it tells you that the code is for betas and the hero's band
unless you want just 1 day head start and no hero's band then there is no need to change it

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I had a couple of random questions that kinda always bothered me:

Are the humans and nord related at all? The human and norn are the only races that really look similar so I would like to know if there is a reason because GW2's races all are distinctive (except the norn, which look like just giant humans).

In the character creation screen, there is one question that asks you about an item - if you choose that item, will all loot that you get fit into that item (for instance - TB's character creation video had the warrior human female pick pauldrons - does that mean that you can only wear pauldrons as opposed to the other options?)?

I believe he also did a nord ranger (I guess) because it asked him what pet fought at his side. Those questions just seem like they have some importance as far as what your character uses. So do they?

I'm from the UK but I'm in the US atm. My brother who works at gamestop got me a beta key but I'm not sure what that entitles me to and how to use it. Anyone got any clue about how to make use of it? I'll be back in the UK next week and was hoping I would be able to use it for an EU beta.

I think the reason for the difference between a pre-order and pre-purchase is because when Starcraft 2 was available for pre-order, people would put down $5 everywhere and sell the beta codes online. By making you put down $60/80/150, it's harder to cancel and reduces the reselling.

nataku

Are the humans and nord related at all? The human and norn are the only races that really look similar so I would like to know if there is a reason because GW2's races all are distinctive (except the norn, which look like just giant humans).

In the character creation screen, there is one question that asks you about an item - if you choose that item, will all loot that you get fit into that item (for instance - TB's character creation video had the warrior human female pick pauldrons - does that mean that you can only wear pauldrons as opposed to the other options?)?

I believe he also did a nord ranger (I guess) because it asked him what pet fought at his side. Those questions just seem like they have some importance as far as what your character uses. So do they?

I'm positive those choices only affect your personal story, and not what you can equip. I forget what podcast it was exactly, but an ANet employee said that those choices will affect the story at various points in the personal story and that there are a ton of them throughout the story. The branches aren't just limited to the number of choices they have you make at character creation.

It might have been the latest Game Informer podcast.

EDIT: I believe this is the podcast. About 15 minutes in.

How the heck do I even get in the beta for this? Do you have to have pre-ordered?

Pre-purchase. Pre-order only gets you the 1 day headstart and no beta access.

If it's possible, I think it would be great to either Have this link or link the images directly showing the differences on the main page so that people pre-ordering from EBGames are warned about the possibility of getting the wrong box.

Arksy

Just because they look similar doesn't mean they're the same race. It has been strongly hinted that they cannot interbreed although there are a few indications to the contrary but for the most part it seems that the Human and Norn are distinctive races. Just because they bear a resemblance doesn't imply much in a fantasy world, after all most Dwarf races are just short humans. Norn in this game are 9 foot tall, immune to cold and have the ability to shapeshift into different forms.

01DragonFly

I'm from the UK but I'm in the US atm. My brother who works at gamestop got me a beta key but I'm not sure what that entitles me to and how to use it. Anyone got any clue about how to make use of it? I'll be back in the UK next week and was hoping I would be able to use it for an EU beta.

you get beta access and you register here https://register.guildwars2.com/ probably is just the betas since I don't think gamestop will let employees have free new games.

Arksy

They went quiet over the weekend, so here's hoping for an announcement come monday. Hype levels are through the roof at this point.

nataku

The sooner the better. They need to make sure everyone can get the client downloaded. If we don't hear something by Tuesday at the latest I don't think it will be this week.

Trey

For a moment this weekend I considered getting my abysmal HoM score up, but then remembered that I buried GW and want to part of the mind-numbing grind required to get a respectable score.

Retro

It's unclear at this point. The Kodan (a race of walking polar Bearmen) believe that the Norn are failed kodan "who have forgotten their place as judges and protectors of the balance, and that is why their true "bear" form has been replaced with a fragile, furless state." That's really the only origin we know.

This is part of the Guardian's Biography and (as near as I can tell) really only affects your character's appearance. It just means you start with x instead of y. All of the professions appear to have one (Warrior helm, Ranger Pet, Mesmer Mask, Elementalist Circlet, etc.)

Those questions just seem like they have some importance as far as what your character uses. So do they?

Those specific ones only determine your starting parameter. However, there are several other questions asked during character creation that have bearing on your Personal Story. Here's a good link about it; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography

How the heck do I even get in the beta for this? Do you have to have pre-ordered?

You have to have Pre-Purchased, at which point you would receive a code which, when registered, grants access to the Beta Weekend Events, a 3-day head start at launch, and an in-game ring (which is a pretty basic starter item).

I'm thinking we need a confirmation for BWE tomorrow if it's going to be this weekend. If not, has to be the week after. What y'all think?

It's the start of a new week tomorrow, the first after the Pre-Purchase began and the Stress Test. We should be getting some news, hopefully.

Gvaz

Banned
So basically you have to buy the game to get beta access?

After buying the first game and xpacs only for everyone to jump ship I don't think I can live with that again unless I can get in a beta and try it out.

(I've read no videos or anything but heard the hype through the grapevine)

After buying the first game and xpacs only for everyone to jump ship I don't think I can live with that again unless I can get in a beta and try it out.

You're going to be hearing a lot more information once the beta goes through and such, if you're cautious, always a good time to wait.

You're not really missing out by not pre-purchasing in all respects.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You're going to be hearing a lot more information once the beta goes through and such, if you're cautious, always a good time to wait.

You're not really missing out by not pre-purchasing in all respects.

Unless you want to play the game. This will give you a taste of what to expect when the full game comes around. I still haven't gotten mine. I'm waiting for a date before I pre-purchase.

nataku

There's probably going to be key giveaways for the BWEs on a bunch of sites anyway, so if you don't want to pre-purchase just keep an eye out on those and you can probably get in if you see a giveaway early.

Jira

Well shit, if I didn't know anything about a game I wouldn't buy it either.

Read my thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!

Also, they'll have beta signups each month for betas that are separate from the pre-purchase BWEs so you could always sign up for those.

Gvaz

Banned
Well shit, if I didn't know anything about a game I wouldn't buy it either.

Read my thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

Also, they'll have beta signups each month for betas that are separate from the pre-purchase BWEs so you could always sign up for those.

Sounds like what mmos should have been doing all this time. However I'm still pretty skeptical. I love the art style and customization but I don't know how they'll be able to make persistent worlds catered to each character and cross server. It seems like an extreme version of rifts that would just make it harder once everyone's moved on to later levels in the game.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sounds like what mmos should have been doing all this time. However I'm still pretty skeptical. I love the art style and customization but I don't know how they'll be able to make persistent worlds catered to each character and cross server. It seems like an extreme version of rifts that would just make it harder once everyone's moved on to later levels in the game.

That would be because the parts of the game that are specific to a single player occur in an instanced version of the world.

PewPewK

Does it use phasing? or hard instancing through portals and the like? (i.e is it seamless)

Hard instancing (not seamless) for every zone in the world and individual instancing for the personal story (tailored to the decisions each player has made). I have not seen any phasing technology.

Ashodin

The podcast will be this tuesday as scheduled. We'll talk about everything since last time, and we'll do it more informally.

Also, I hope to have my pre-purchase paid off by then. LOL

Aesthet1c

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but how do I know if I have the pre-order version or the pre-purchase version? I put like 30 dollars down on it at GameStop and got a code that the clerk informed me was for the beta weekends.

Jira

For the Personal Story it takes a small part of the world that you're near and makes that into an instance which you can bring up to 4 other people in and it will scale to make it more difficult. Outside of that every zone can fit X amount of people where X is at least 300 people that we know of. If a zone fills up it creates another version of that zone called the overflow and you can then queue up to go back into the original version of the instance when a slot opens if you want to.

The way the Personal Story works is you just go to the starburst on your map and let's say it's at the entrance to a cave. You go near the starburst and accept the dialogue box that pops up and your friends get a prompt asking them if they want to come with you if they're in your group. Once inside it kinda takes the surrounding area that applies for the Personal Story and instances it, once you complete the objectives it pops you back into the normal world with everyone else.

Jira

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but how do I know if I have the pre-order version or the pre-purchase version? I put like 30 dollars down on it at GameStop and got a code that the clerk informed me was for the beta weekends.

There's only one type of code, that clerk just so happened to have given you something that you weren't technically supposed to get unless you paid in full. Be happy. :D

So two different codes right? So to answer Aesthetic's question, he might have recieved a pre-order code and not the pre-purchase beta code since he didnt pay in full.

Then again its Gamestop, and who knows wtf they are doing.

Aesthet1c

So two different codes right? So to answer Aesthetic's question, he might have recieved a pre-order code and not the pre-purchase beta code since he didnt pay in full.

Then again its Gamestop, and who knows wtf they are doing.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm concerned about. Is there a way to confirm it on my account?

Arksy

I'm quite surprised at the lack of phasing technology. I don't think I've really seen any other MMO use this technology aside from WoW. But thanks for the info. :)

Jira

I'm quite surprised at the lack of phasing technology. I don't think I've really seen any other MMO use this technology aside from WoW. But thanks for the info. :)

Phasing wouldn't work in GW2 because of the entire focus on a persistent world where changes made affect everyone at once while phasing affects very specific areas for specific people at specific times.

Jira

So did WoW

That it did.

Could this be accurate? They just put Guild Wars 2 CB on their calendar for the 20th of April.

http://feature.mmosite.com/upcoming_onlinegame/2012/index.shtml?fromkeyword

I don't really have any experience with this site. Anyone else can perhaps tell us if this is trustable information?

There was a leak from the official forums where the date April 20th was seen in a sticky post from a dev, but was quickly taken down. If we don't have the link to the client by Tuesday, it won't be starting on Friday.

So what have I missed in the past week or so? Any decent videos or news bits? I saw a little bit of the GI video and thought it was great.

I still can't get over the art designs. From the concepts to the in-game locales.

I think my favorite part of the art is the paint look to a lot of things. The map, the events popping up, even the splashed paint look to the aura type things that appear around the action bars.

Wow reading up on the world pvp I will have to give this a shot. Are we finally getting something close to DAoC's pvp? It'll be worth the $60 for me to find out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom