• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo del Toro confirms he will not be collaborating with Kojima on Silent Hills

How can a single company be this dense
What were they actually thinking?

Book-of-Memories-Logo.jpg

Seriously who gives a shit about the Silent Hill franchise? P.T. was awesome by itself.

If people don't give a shit anymore it's because how the franchise has been handled after around SH3. I think PT demonstrated that when you do something of quality, people will be interested. I thought PT was pretty cool but for me it was always just a promise. I do prefer the third person, story-driven aspect of Silent Hill and while PT was neat it didn't scratch that itch. But it promised something that would dig into that itch later on down the line with a tube of Neosporin.

People care about Silent Hill, you just have to give them something that promises greatness. PT did that, hence the excitement. I'm not saying a series with the concept of PT wouldn't be cool, it would be, but Silent Hill is fucking awesome and yes, people do give a shit about it.

Adachi

Banned
So what's left in term of Konami games now? Are they becoming a MGS and PES factory? Calling it right now that they won't be making console games at the end of this gen anymore.

Paz

It's hard not to view Konami as one of the worst companies in gaming right now, maybe some details will come to light about this whole situation but as things stand they just look to be ruining a bunch of amazing things for no reason.

PT was/is incredible and the plan for Silent Hills had me so excited.

What if he made a silent hill game with KAIJUS?

That'd actually be pretty lovecraftian.

A Jonah and the whale type story where you are swallowed up by a Kaiju and have to survive as long as you can against various creepy crawlies sounds OK.

Wouldn't really be Silent Hill though

Veldin

Konami is a piece of shit publisher that no longer has any value to me anymore.

They don't care and neither do I.

careksims

What terrible news to wake up to. I was looking so forward to this game. Uuuugh. Konami is nothing after MGSV. They had so many great games in the past... now they are just a former shell and full of fuck.

I kinda hoping Sony picks Kojima up XD

Manu

Fuck you Konami. You motherfuckers had something special with P.T.

But it's fine, enjoy making PES games until the end of time. Assholes.

I think I'm going to cancel my MGSV special edition.

I'm not going to make consumer-based decisions for other people, but that decision would have my full support.

Either going to borrow MGSV from a friend or Gamefly it. I hate that because I love Kojima, but it is what it is.

Tizoc

Kusonami
...at least til they're somehow saved and remember the company's legacy and what they were really known for in the past 20 years up til the late 2000s

Yet people are gonna buy mgs5 in droves

Not me. Going to either borrow it or buy it used. MGSV went from day one to buy it used sometime maybe.

It just sucks. I want to support Kojima and his work for MGSV, but I don't want to give Konami a dime. I think P.T. was the nail in the coffin for me.

If people don't give a shit anymore it's because how the franchise has been handled after around SH3. I think PT demonstrated that when you do something of quality, people will be interested. I thought PT was pretty cool but for me it was always just a promise. I do prefer the third person, story-driven aspect of Silent Hill and while PT was neat it didn't scratch that itch. But it promised something that would dig into that itch later on down the line with a tube of Neosporin.

People care about Silent Hill, you just have to give them something that promises greatness. PT did that, hence the excitement. I'm not saying a series with the concept of PT wouldn't be cool, it would be, but Silent Hill is fucking awesome and yes, people do give a shit about it.

Well I want more of what P.T. gave me, and non of that relied on it secretly being a teaser for a Silent Hill game. P.T. generated huge interest when we only suspected it had something to do with Kojima. It didn't need a publisher we'd heard or, or a franchise we'd heard of, or a horror director's name attached to it or even confirmation that it came from Hideo.

Kojima announcing a horror game in the vein of P.T. would be huge news, more so if Del Toro is attached. P.T. didn't need Silent Hill. Any further horror projects from Kojima won't either.

Nzyme32

Well, on the bright side, at least we know Toro is interested in that kind of thing, and so are plenty of gamers, so hopefully someone else will pick up the idea and make there own thing

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I don't know what this bodes for the MGR property.
I'm fully assuming Rising 2 is dead at this point, which upsets me more than anything from this whole fiasco.

Majanew

Banned
Well, on the bright side, at least we know Toro is interested in that kind of thing, and so are plenty of gamers, so hopefully someone else will pick up the idea and make there own thing

Yeah, Kojima and del Toro teaming back up to make a first-person horror game.

Konami might own the P.T. brand and Silent Hills, but so what? Kojima doesn't need either to give us more and I'm confident he will. It seems a much more likely course of action for his next title than another stealth action affair, something we know he'd been wanting to move away from.
The thing is, say that Silent Hills was 10% complete but with a complete design doc and most of the pre-production finished and was seen by a million different people at Konami, with the management pouring over them and approving them (even if only for budgetary reasons).

If KojiPro recycles ANY of that, it might mean an immediate lawsuit after the game reaches a point where that content is revealed to the public (i.e., when the game is almost done). If they change thew new Pyramid Head character into a Square Head character, that's still a little iffy.

The path of least legal and financial resistance is to just abandon the dream, and mourn that they went through all the trouble of making a digital Daryl for nothing.

There really wouldn't be anymore silent hill anyway.

True.

In fact, they could just go the whole hog and create a Pacific Rim horror game. You control Charlie Kelly who, fearing a second Kaiju invasion, drifts with a Kaiju brain once again and is stranded inside a literal alien nightmare.

You can put whatever you want inside the game, giant monsters, tiny insect monsters, his own childhood memories of school, hospital visits, ron perlman chasing you with a switchblade, it's all on the table.

It would be Silent Hill in all but name.

Top Bottom