• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear: Strive DLC character Johnny and Season 3 update announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
Arc System Works has announced Guilty Gear: Strive Season 3 downloadable content character Johnny and the Season 3 update. Both will launch on August 24 and act as the official start to the game’s third season.

Get the latest details below.

Johnny ($6.99 / 880 yen)
  • Ease of Use: ★★★✩✩
Severs all with an unseen strike. Natural-born gambler.
Guilty Gear: Strive
Leader of the Jellyfish Pirates. He is a master of the Hirofumi Style of swordsmanship. He’s a world-class outlaw but lives by the mantra, “Help the weak and sprain the strong,” which has made him popular among the masses.
Johnny is an easy-going guy who’s always ready to kick back, but when the going gets tough, he’s undoubtedly the man for the job. No matter how grim the situation, he never loses his cool and is often there to break the tension with a clever joke. He rescues children orphaned from war (women only) and brings them aboard his ship. He loves the members of the Jellyfish Pirates like his own family and has often told them he puts their safety before his own life.
Season Pass 3 ($24.99 / 2,750 yen)
Includes the following content:
  • Playable Character: Johnny (August 24)
  • Playable Character: ??? (2023)
  • Playable Character: ??? (2024)
  • Playable Character: ??? (2024)
  • Additional Battle Stage #1
  • Additional Battle Stage #2
  • Season 3 Characters Additional Colors
  • Season 3 Characters Extra Colors #13 to #15
Season 3 Update (free)
  • New Special Moves – Added to six of 15 initial roster characters. More characters to come in later updates.
  • New Offensive Mechanic – Wild Assault: Perform a lunging attack to the front. Available to all characters. Properties vary depending on the character.
  • New Defensive Mechanic – Deflect Shield: Can block any attack. Including overheads, lows, and projectiles. Available to all characters.

Watch a new trailer below.

[Sigma]

Glad someone made this thread. Can't stress how sorely this was need in my eyes as a GG fan. Talking about a battle update. Giovanna could definitely use some new moves so i'll finally be back on this game. Likely focusing on Baiken and Gio still. I don't anticipate playing Johnny, never been a Johnny player though he looks cool as aways.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like this character w/o the coins. Always liked his moves. Gotta love the smell of the game at the very end. When GG goes silent, it goes silent. I use to play Strive a lot, even had the first season pass. Bought Bridget and then forgot about it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Arc System Works being Arc System Works 🙄🙄🙄🙄.... How more editions will release to get the Definitive Edition?

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Arc System Works has announced Guilty Gear: Strive Season 3 downloadable content character Johnny and the Season 3 update. Both will launch on August 24 and act as the official start to the game’s third season.

Get the latest details below.

Watch a new trailer below.

Turning Around GIF by Max

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Crazy to see Johnny as a 3/5 star level of difficulty lol.

Happy for the strive fans. The new mechanics should help take the game into a better direction. For me I don’t see myself ever playing unless the wall mechanic stuff was completely reworked or taken out.

Labolas

Man, Bridget and Happy Chaos are what kinda ruin the game beyond the mechanics of the game itself. Imo the game went in a bad direction and hasn't recovered since. Hopefully, the changes will make the game feel like GG again..

Last edited:
He looks great 👍🏼
Hopefully the update he’s in also includes a nerf for Happy Chaos

All the new mechanics will freshen things up too. Saw my girl Ram got some new hotness in there. Very cool.

splattered

This is on sale on Xbox right now... Tempted as I liked older GG titles but doesn't seem like people are into Strive as much. KOFXV also on sale pretty cheap

Johny's always been my favourite GG character. Can't play him for crap though.

... 'kay, can't play anyone else for that matter. :messenger_pensive:

Jinjo

I remember watching Omito play Johnny in Xrd finals in what was like 2019 I think. That was thé reason (Obama's commentary helped) that made me interested in Guilty Gear. Looking forward to diving back into this game, but will be tough to balance with all the fighting games out now / coming out.

I remember watching Omito play Johnny in Xrd finals in what was like 2019 I think. That was thé reason (Obama's commentary helped) that made me interested in Guilty Gear. Looking forward to diving back into this game, but will be tough to balance with all the fighting games out now / coming out.
Just drop everything except SF6 and GGSTRIVE
Problem solved!

splattered

GG Strive Daredevil on sale right now for $80 on Xbox.. i think i'll finally bite and give this a shot. Loved GG in the past on the older systems, haven't played it recently though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's funny I used to be excited about Guility Gear, until during their Blazblue generation that's all I played...

Now with all their anime fighters I'm more invested in Granblue Fantasy versus. I might pick this up when it releases its final form. But with all the fighters chasing after live services these days i have to pick one and stick with it, this one ain't it.

Last edited:

splattered

I haven't bought it yet and i've seen some complaints about some mechanics and stuff on here.. what's wrong with the game specifically? The microtransactions aspect doesn't bother me as much, so what else sucks about the game?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I haven't bought it yet and i've seen some complaints about some mechanics and stuff on here.. what's wrong with the game specifically? The microtransactions aspect doesn't bother me as much, so what else sucks about the game?

This is a joke, i have no idea

Last edited:

splattered

This is a joke, i have no idea

I mean some move spamming n stuff but actually looks fun to me? haha

I really like the characters, voice overs, lore, music... yeah i think i'll pick this up.

Not an online super competitive rank match person so i'm sure i'll enjoy this solo and with friends n fam.

Pejo

I heard they absolutely gutted Johnny's kit.

Only tangentially related, but I feel disappointment in anyone that continues to support this abomination of the Guilty Gear franchise.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
GG Strive Daredevil on sale right now for $80 on Xbox.. i think i'll finally bite and give this a shot. Loved GG in the past on the older systems, haven't played it recently though.

Beautiful graphics, great gameplay, amazing music - the major issue with Strive is that they tend to listen to Twitter on how characters should be written and have characters regress.

Fake

Beautiful graphics, great gameplay, amazing music - the major issue with Strive is that they tend to listen to Twitter on how characters should be written and have characters regress.

I agree, but after played the game myselft I found the game extreme slow in comparison with Guilty Gear Rev.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I agree, but after played the game myselft I found the game extreme slow in comparison with Guilty Gear Rev.

It is definitely slower and a different style to what came before. Feels more akin to Samurai Showdown than it does traditional guilty gear, but given my preference to that style of fighting, it only made me love Strive all the more.

I really hope the creators get their heads out of their asses though and revert specific character lore and not appease the twitter folk any longer.

splattered

Sounds good to me, i don't regret picking it up then. Today bought GGS DD and TK8 DLX. Yay year end sales.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean some move spamming n stuff but actually looks fun to me? haha

I really like the characters, voice overs, lore, music... yeah i think i'll pick this up.

Not an online super competitive rank match person so i'm sure i'll enjoy this solo and with friends n fam.

there is indeed deep lore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom