• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness World Records crowns new hottest pepper - Meet Pepper X

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

The Guinness World Records has crowned Pepper X as the hottest chili pepper in the world, dethroning the Carolina Reaper chili pepper after 10 years.

For comparison, a habanero pepper typically hits 100,000 Scoville heat units, but Pepper X registers at 2.69 million units. Breeder and grower Ed Currie created both record-breaking peppers.

In lab tests at Winthrop University in South Carolina, Pepper X registered an average of 2,693,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), which is more than one million units hotter than Mr Currie's previous innovation, the Carolina Reaper which averaged 1,641,183 SHU.

Mr Currie is one of only five people who has eaten an entire Pepper X.

"I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came," Mr Currie told the Associated Press.

"Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

I bet this came with the most painful shit in the world afterwards. Must have been like shitting out lava.

_131454268_pepperx.jpg.webp

Last edited:

IDKFA

I want to eat one but I also very much don't want to eat one.

Judging by the reaction of the creator, it seems more like torture than a food you'd enjoy.

He should sell these to world governments. Rather that wasting the tax payers money locking people up for petty crimes, have them eat two of these and a LSD tab every day for a month.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

The Guinness World Records has crowned Pepper X as the hottest chili pepper in the world, dethroning the Carolina Reaper chili pepper after 10 years.

For comparison, a habanero pepper typically hits 100,000 Scoville heat units, but Pepper X registers at 2.69 million units. Breeder and grower Ed Currie created both record-breaking peppers.

In lab tests at Winthrop University in South Carolina, Pepper X registered an average of 2,693,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), which is more than one million units hotter than Mr Currie's previous innovation, the Carolina Reaper which averaged 1,641,183 SHU.

Mr Currie is one of only five people who has eaten an entire Pepper X.

"I was feeling the heat for three and a half hours. Then the cramps came," Mr Currie told the Associated Press.

"Those cramps are horrible. I was laid out flat on a marble wall for approximately an hour in the rain, groaning in pain."

I bet this came with the most painful shit in the world afterwards. Must have been like shitting out lava.

_131454268_pepperx.jpg.webp
For what purpose?

If I were him, I'd partner with a canned chili company, throw one of those in a 100,000 gallon vat of chili and market it as "using the world's hottest chili!".

People who are curious what it tastes like get a watered-down version of it, and can say they tried it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Dude has a bit of a sadism streak. He likes to see the pain it causes. Also he’s a recovering addict and this is his new thing to get high.

I’ve eaten some spicy stuff before, but this is refined weapons grade, it even fucks up Ed whose tolerance is crazy high.
I love spicy I'm Mexican but habanero and scotch bonnet peppers are my limit anything hotter than that is not enjoyable or flavorful imo

IDKFA

What if there was a way to measure the heat of these things with science and not actually eating them.

There is:

Science was used to test the heat. It was confirmed to be a weapon of mass destruction.

He didn't need to eat it. 2,693,000 SHU is confirmation enough that eating this bad boy would be like sucking off Helios and swallowing.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Judging by the reaction of the creator, it seems more like torture than a food you'd enjoy.

He should sell these to world governments. Rather that wasting the tax payers money locking people up for petty crimes, have them eat two of these and a LSD tab every day for a month.

I think that would legitimately alter many people's psyche permanently...

LET'S DO IT

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I legit await these peppers becoming so intense on the Scoville meter that they become illegal to grow or sell. Not these specifically, but there logically comes a point where these go beyond hardcore and bleed into chemical weaponry. Dumbass kids have killed themselves doing challenges less severe than this pepper.

I've had Pepper X hot sauce. It's significantly hotter than Reaper.

It's not even close to the hottest stuff out there though. There are extracts out there, where I've literally dipped only a toothpick into and had my entire day ruined.

This was the unofficial hottest pepper for like 4-6 years?
A pepper of this magnitude would cause all sorts of chaos, inside of your body. Birds seem unaffected by extreme capsaicin, just an FYI.

Laieon

I've had Pepper X hot sauce. It's significantly hotter than Reaper.

It's not even close to the hottest stuff out there though. There are extracts out there, where I've literally dipped only a toothpick into and had my entire day ruined.

Reaper is weird to me because I don't think it's spicy as much as it is sweet. It almost tastes sour to me, just a really weird taste overall. I like Ghost Pepper a lot more.

Top Bottom