• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 2 Co op Impressions?

harry2020

I've picked up the demo and I've got the chance to get a 2nd guitar (3rd party) for dirt cheap from work so I can play some co-op - just wondered if anyone has played in co-op mode on the demo? How is it?

one word...

awesome.

more words...

even the lead part will regularly be different to what you play in single player, as often times in single player the part you play incorporates rhythm and/or bass at certain times.

playing bass feels very different due to the different types of patterns and generally speaking, a lot less chords. the bass part on YYZ is nuts.

playing rhythm doesn't feel as different as bass does, but it still feels very different. it's weird to be accompanying solos!

your multiplyer shoots up very quickly, which balances out the fact then when either of you make a mistake it resets it quite nicely. the 'shakey' thing that happens when you break a combo makes a lot more sense in co op because it makes it clear who was the one who screwed up.

also, the sound for a bad note on bass is actually really pretty cool. i catch myself strumming at the end of songs just to hear it and freestyle a bit, and have caused more than one fail at 99% as a result.

you can't totally carry someone. if you're playing 100% perfect the other person can still screw up badly enough to game over the song. it feels like the balance there is just where it should be.

it's a great addition that plays really really well. just a shame they couldn't get hotel california and it's two lead guitar solos in there. THAT would have been the ultimate (and i don't even like the song that much).

It's nice that both me a my friend can rock at different difficulty level. He can Wow the public, and I can play without looking like a dumbass.

duderon said:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think third party guitars work with the demo.
no this is true. but we don't know if this is true for the full game too yet. you can't use a ps2 pad in the demo either like you could in the last one.

harry2020

plagiarize said:
no this is true. but we don't know if this is true for the full game too yet. you can't use a ps2 pad in the demo either like you could in the last one.

I thought I read something in the other thread about a 'workaround' which involves swapping the guitar controller conector over at certain points so the game 'thinks' you are using an official guitar?

Are you sure the demo have bass/rythm/lead guitar selection ?
I don't know if i'm that stupid but i didn't find it in my demo.

Chû Totoro said:
Are you sure the demo have bass/rythm/lead guitar selection ?
I don't know if i'm that stupid but i didn't find it in my demo.
in the demo if you play co op player one will play lead and player two will play bass or rhythm depending on the song. you don't get to pick.

in the full game, player one and player two will get to pick who plays which part, but there will still only ever be two per song (so it's always going to lead and bass/rhythm). it hasn't been confirmed but some people have suggested that practice mode will let you play the two co op parts by yourself.

mrwilt

Co op is awesome! The game does a great job of seperating the lead from the rythm/bass guitars. It's cool that both players have to lift their guitars at the same time to get in the star power, too.

mrwilt said:
Co op is awesome! The game does a great job of seperating the lead from the rythm/bass guitars. It's cool that both players have to lift their guitars at the same time to get in the star power, too.

Not at the same time, though. It warns the other player when the first player is ready.

vireland

So I'm guessing nobody knows of a workaround to use a 3rd party guitar with the demo then?

As the other poster said, it's alleged that you can plug in an official guitar to start the song, then once the song loads, swap to the wireless (unofficial) guitar. I read it, but I had already returned my wireless Vs, so I couldn't test to verify. If anyone can verify this swap trick, that would be great!

M3wThr33

Banned
duderon said:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think third party guitars work with the demo.

There's already been TWO THREADS dedicated to bitching about this!

Why aren't people reading them?!

Top Bottom