• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xCloud improvements inbound through "Better xCloud" application. Local Co-op, mouse and keyboard support.

MarkMe2525

Apparentely this has been "approved" by MS. As mentioned in the article, a few new features are on their way to the xCloud thanks to "Better xCloud" These seem like great additions(even though I can't imagine they will be widely used). Only once can I recall wanting to play local co-op over the xcloud when I visited my sister out of town. Hopefully, we can see some of these features rolled out to the official Xbox app in the future.

You can visit the githib to download the appropriate file type for iOS, Android, SteamOS, and windows.

Edit: I have to dig deeper, but after thinking about it, I bet this is just using remote play and not actually using xCloud servers.

Edit edit: So I did dig a little deeper and this is streaming a remote play session of xcloud through the browser. Interesting approach, and I am surprised at how little lag is introduced using such a method.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
That's all? How about better hardware and bitrate.

I use it on the tablet from time to time, but xcloud doesn't get many updates. There are long pauses in between.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This thing is ancient, Stadia had better quality then xcloud...

And third parties are having to add functionality? Just bizarre.

"November 2019"

Coming up on five years?

Matthew Broderick GIF

MarkMe2525

Hopefully one of the features is the ability to stream your owned library, not just content on game pass.
You can already with XBXplay on the android app store. You can even stream 360 games.

Edit: my bad, I'm referring to remote play and you are talking about gaming from the server adamsapple adamsapple

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Has the latency gotten any better? That’s always been my biggest issue.

MarkMe2525

Yeah, I'm in the ATL area and latency isn't bad for most games. But when I'm traveling, it is hit and miss regardless of how fast the internet access is.
Yeah, we are trained to view the raw speed as an important attribute for cloud gaming, and it is not in the slightest. It's all about distance and line noise (packet loss). Hell, I went from 76ms avg ping to 38ms ping by removing a line splitter I had in the wall. It removed my 3-8% packetloss which was the true culprit.

Last edited:

iHaunter

All of that is pointless if your IQ is terrible. Which seems to be the case. XCloud is at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of IQ.

MarkMe2525

All of that is pointless if your IQ is terrible. Which seems to be the case. XCloud is at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of IQ.
This is overstated, it's perfectly fine with a clean connection. Just because something is "less than" doesn't mean it is bad.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Terrible analogy.

The biggest pro of using it is that you can use it anywhere, I use it on a laptop or phone when needed, not the console itself.

You can already with XBXplay on the android app store. You can even stream 360 games.

Edit: my bad, I'm referring to remote play and you are talking about gaming from the server adamsapple adamsapple

Yes, I meant your owned library over cloud, like how PSN does.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Simply stating it's worse than their competitors.
It's a different product. It's built to work on your phone, laptop, tv. It can't rely on having high specced hardware and is designed to run on tv cpu's for crying out loud. Even stadia had a disclaimer for potential issues if you attempted to run it on a non-approved smartphone. Simply put, the comparisons are interesting for sure, but pointless.

Crayon

There's a 3rd party ps app that streams better than the official stuff. Someone give this a shot!

Topher

Gold Member
There's a 3rd party ps app that streams better than the official stuff. Someone give this a shot!

Are you talking about Chiaki? I've been using that daily playing Persona 3 Reload on PS5. It is pretty awesome. Not really the thread for it though.

Crayon

Are you talking about Chiaki? I've been using that daily playing Persona 3 Reload on PS5. It is pretty awesome. Not really the thread for it though.

I can't quite remember... I think it was called PS Play. I was surprised that it worked better than the official one.

Crayon

With full / proper integration? Interesting. Please post if you recall the name.

K just checked to make sure. It's PSPlay: Remote Play by Stream Game Dev. Not sure about integration. I actually just tried it because I was experimenting with a controller clip, etc. I didn't end up doing too much of that, though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You can only stream your PSN library on your PS5. It’s only really useful for completing PS Stars quests that ask you to start a game. It’s not the same as being able to stream from any web browser.

Topher

Gold Member
You can only stream your PSN library on your PS5. It’s only really useful for completing PS Stars quests that ask you to start a game. It’s not the same as being able to stream from any web browser.

That's a massive limitation for PS cloud streaming and I don't get why. They obviously have the data center for streaming. They have the clients for multiple devices for Remote Play. Don't see why Sony cannot connect the dots between client and server and not limit it to PS5.

adamsapple

Interesting, I didn't know that was limited to a console only. Personally, I've never used cloud stuff on the console itself, it comes in handy on a laptop or something a lot more for me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's a massive limitation for PS cloud streaming and I don't get why. They obviously have the data center for streaming. They have the clients for multiple devices for Remote Play. Don't see why Sony cannot connect the dots between client and server and not limit it to PS5.

I think Sony is taking their time rolling out their cloud stuff. Testing and introducing things one at a time.

Reallink

Xcloud is trashcan sludge and a total waste of money and resources. The 30fps "console blades" with 100's of ms of lag, streaming compressed as fuck 480p/720p Youtube video is utterly unplayable and the absolute worst way anyone could choose to play a game. Everyone would be infinitely better off if they torched it tomorrow and put all that wasted money into securing more Gamepass games.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Xcloud is trashcan sludge and a total waste of money and resources. The 30fps "console blades" with 100's of ms of lag streaming compressed as fuck 480p/720p Youtube video is utterly unplayable and the absolute worst way anyone could choose to play a game.
I understand someone not "preferring" cloud gaming, I sure don't. I can understand not being interested in the gamepass/xcloud library. What I can't understand is taking the time to post something like this. It's patently inaccurate and full of hyperbole.

Last edited:

Reallink

I understand someone not "preferring" cloud gaming, I sure don't. I can understand not being interested in the gamepass/xcloud library. What I can't understand is taking the time to post something like this. It's patently inaccurate and full of hyperbole.

I have no problem with cloud streaming, the image quality of 4K Stadia was more than adequate, and 120Hz Geforce Now is more responsive than most console games. The problem is with Xcloud specifically, and there's nothing inaccurate or hyperbolic about what I said. If you find no issue with it, you're clearly playing on too small a display from too far away and have little to no experience or point of reference beyond a laggy 30Hz console experience. Xcloud's video quality is absolutely garbage and is literally 720p Youtube quality, completely drowning in compression artifacts. This is only compounded by the weak console hardware they have powering it that runs so many games at 30fps with end to end lag exceeding 200ms. It's a horrible experience top to bottom.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I have no problem with cloud streaming, the image quality of 4K Stadia was more than adequate, and 120Hz Geforce Now is more responsive than most console games. The problem is with Xcloud specifically, and there's nothing inaccurate or hyperbolic about what I said. If you find no issue with it, you're clearly playing on too small a display from too far away and have little to no experience or point of reference beyond a laggy 30Hz console experience. Xcloud's video quality is absolutely garbage and is literally 720p Youtube quality, completely drowning in compression artifacts. This is only compounded by the weak console hardware they have powering it that runs so many games at 30fps with end to end lag exceeding 200ms. It's a horrible experience top to bottom.
Nothing you said was hyperbolic? Do you know what hyperbole is? I couldn't think of a better example of hyperbole than these two phrases you gave us "Utterly unplayable" "trashcan sludge utter waste of money". Sounds like you just live far away from an xcloud data center, though it's not surprising that you make these proclamations, as many people tend to believe their experiences are indicative of everyone else's experiences.

Your experience doesn't change the fact that for me (and many many others), xcloud works great with good enough IQ and responsive gameplay. In saying this, I recognize that cloud gaming has limitations based on distance from server, and stability of one's connection to server. That's why I wouldn't be so naive to make such hyperbolic statements like "xcloud is awesome and everyone should get it", as that is just not true.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Terrible analogy.

The biggest pro of using it is that you can use it anywhere, I use it on a laptop or phone when needed, not the console itself.

Wasn't an analogy. Was a statement. Which is correct.

adamsapple

Wasn't an analogy. Was a statement. Which is correct.

Nah, it was already incorrect when you started with "all of that is pointless if your IQ is terrible". Someone using xcloud on a 13 inch laptop or 7 inch phone doesn't need a 4K stream like if you're playing on a PS5, some people don't use cloud on the console itself, they use it on other devices.

Reallink

Nothing you said was hyperbolic? Do you know what hyperbole is? I couldn't think of a better example of hyperbole than these two phrases you gave us "Utterly unplayable" "trashcan sludge utter waste of money". Sounds like you just live far away from an xcloud data center, though it's not surprising you that you make these proclamations, as many people tend to believe their experiences are indicative of everyone else's experiences.

Your experience doesn't change the fact that for me (and many many others), xcloud works great with good enough IQ and responsive gameplay. In saying this, I recognize that cloud gaming has limitations based on distance from server, and stability of one's connection to server. That's why I wouldn't be so naive to make such hyperbolic statements like "xcloud is awesome and everyone should get it", as that is just not true.
My experience is with a gigabit fiber connection in a SE US major metro that's situated less than 2 hours from several other major metros, so there aren't many scenarios that would qualify as a more "ideal" test bed.

As a matter of timely happenstance, it seems Digital Foundry just did a cloud faceoff article a few days ago that demonstrates clearly how dogshit Xcloud video quality is (easily an industry worst), and also backing up my claims with measurements of 30fps cloud games exceeding 200ms of input lag. So yeah, those were statements of fact, not hyperbole. Your own personal standards being under the dirt doesn't change the reality that it's objectively trash and the worst way someone could choose to play most games.

Last edited:

Brucey

My experience is with a gigabit fiber connection in a SE US major metro that's situated less than 2 hours from several other major metros, so there aren't many scenarios that would qualify as a more "ideal" test bed.

As a matter of timely happenstance, it seems Digital Foundry just did a cloud faceoff article a few days ago that demonstrates clearly how dogshit Xcloud video quality is (easily an industry worst), and also backing up my claims with measurements of 30fps cloud games exceeding 200ms of input lag. So yeah, those were statements of fact, not hyperbole. Your own personal standards being under the dirt doesn't change the reality that it's objectively trash and the worst way someone could choose to play most games.
Yes it was only a few years ago that it was taken for granted that xcloud was going to defacto win the streaming segment by virtue of Mocrosofts superior data center infrastructure.

What's clear to see is that simply having the general compute datacenter infrastructure presence ala Azure cannot compete with other solutions on the market from a graphical image quality perspective. Seems to be a few posts on this thread about xcloud quality being "good enough" but it's woefully behind what the marketplace is offering based on the digital foundry review.

Three

Took long enough, I remember mentioning that one of the few benefits of cloud is the possibility for easy support of couch splitscreen with 2 simultaneous lower resolution streams of online games. Yet nobody was implementing it. Hopefully this is what is meant by local co-op.

Last edited:

Three

They really need performance improvements on the image quality side more than anything else, IMO.
Why do you think digital foundry did a recent comparison? It's likely to come if they are covering that sort of thing out of the blue years late. They've likely been given marketing material for it already. Get ready for an xcloud controller and "better xCloud" marketing soon.

Three

That's all? How about better hardware and bitrate.

I use it on the tablet from time to time, but xcloud doesn't get many updates. There are long pauses in between.

Hopefully one of the features is the ability to stream your owned library, not just content on game pass.
This is just an unofficial browser extension guys, it's "approved" in that they've said they won't ban you from using it but you're not going to get backend improvements like that from this unofficial client.

Burger

I remember on the Steam Deck and Logitech G-Cloud you have to use a browser that can spoof itself as Microsoft Edge in order to get a video stream that wasn't complete mush.

MarkMe2525

720p mobile video stream = dogshit. What a clown. Xcloud is primarily for mobile phones and laptops. The face off you reference is interesting, but gives us no useful information considering their use cases are so different. One is designed to take advantage of a powerful console (which also means there are not many cases where it makes sense to use it vs playing natively), and the other is designed to run on cheap mobile soc. A difference is expected and while one looks better (at the expense of lag), the other is far more useful and versatile.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Seems to be a few posts on this thread about xcloud quality being "good enough" but it's woefully behind what the marketplace is offering based on the digital foundry review.
I would agree if xCloud was limited to console only use, like the Sony platform that xCloud was compared to. They both have their place, but are designed for different use cases.

Top Bottom