• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Bildi

I couldn't go and see G3 last time they were here unfortunately (Satriani, Vai & Petrucci), but my friends loved it. I've never seen Satriani live actually, but I'd really like to as he can really get an audience rocking.

Re backplates - I just don't like having to take them off! Because I just play at home I change strings fairly seldom, and so I sometimes undo the springs and lift the bridge out with strings attached so I can get to the fretboard for a clean or fret polish. That's the main thing. Or sometimes I want to move the bridge a little forwards or backwards.

Here's some eye candy - a friend's Hughes & Kettner that I snapped some pics of a while ago. He's been through tons of equipment trying to find an amp he loves and this is what he ended up with. I have to agree - it sounds really damn good and he's had it for a few years so I think he's finally found something he likes. And anyway - it lights up!

20061211_225140.jpg

20061211_225855.jpg

And some arty guitar pics I took a while ago:

20050723_004637.jpg

20050723_004028.jpg

20050723_002844.jpg

I did this about 4 years ago and we had some fun with it, so I'll try again. I recorded a backing track and wrote a very simple drum beat to go with it for everybody to solo over. I'll try and have mine up by tonight, but in the meantime everyone that has the means should give it a go. My guitar is in Eb so evrything might be a hair lower than people are expecting. Have a go though, lets have some fun with this.

EDIT - forgot the download link

http://rapidshare.com/files/103701744/backing_track.mp3.html

"I love Jaguars, they're beautiful guitars. How do you like yours?"

It's the one guitar related thing I haven't sold/replaced. Absolutely love it.

Here's a pic of me rocking out on my Epiphone Les Paul. This is about 3 years ago; I don't look quite this young now:

Picture098.jpg

I also have these:

PH3.jpg

SD-1.jpg

BF-3.jpg

boss_ds1.jpg

All of those pedals are really awesome for the price.

Ok, I got rid of my Deluxe Strat and Les Paul Custom, and bought a Gibson ES-137:

309nfjn.jpg

I also got a Fulltone OCD distortion/overdrive pedal. Best fucking distortion pedal ever.

Fusebox

Banned
Scoooore! I swapped an old laptop for a classic white USA 1967 re-issue Gibson Flying V! It hadn't been played in ages and had some horrid old strings on it when I got it, as a result the frets are discoloured from light rust and the fretboard was really gunky but it's in the local guitar store today getting a professional clean and should make an excellent guitar (and a nice little investment too) once its done. This is the exact model I got, mine was made in 2003:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson usa/products/designer/v-factor/

I'm stoked, I've always wanted a white V. :D

2730630950_645eb5ef5a.jpg

2730630962_a552492d0b.jpg

I got that retro looking red amp for free (its a re-badged Epi) with it, it sounds ordinary and a bit boomy on its own, but I'm running both amps using the stereo-out from my Boss ME-50 and blending them and I get a much bigger sound using both amps. I'm in the market for a new amp though, currently tossing up between these (from cheapest to exyest)

Krank Rev Jr half-stack
Marshall JVM-205 combo
Mesa Boogie 5:25 combo or half-stack.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just got this exact guitar (not mine in the pic):

29blyme.jpg

telecaster

I've got a little amp that I've had for four years as well.

A while ago I was playing on this guy's amp and it had knobs for like a dozen different effects on it, and I had a lot of fun with that. Can you buy anything like that separately? I try to search for something like that, but all I come up with are pedals and individual things that only do one effect.

Fusebox

Banned
Nice cherry paintjob on that Tele, where was it made? And check out the Line 6 gear if you want a bunch of digital effects built into your amp.

demon

It's just a mexican telecaster. And it's more of a wine red than a cherry red. It's my second guitar, my first being a PRS Tremonti SE, but I just didn't like how it played. This is easier to play so I'm hoping I'll be motivated to practice more.

and I'll look into Line 6, thanks.

Bildi said:
I couldn't go and see G3 last time they were here unfortunately (Satriani, Vai & Petrucci), but my friends loved it. I've never seen Satriani live actually, but I'd really like to as he can really get an audience rocking.

Re backplates - I just don't like having to take them off! Because I just play at home I change strings fairly seldom, and so I sometimes undo the springs and lift the bridge out with strings attached so I can get to the fretboard for a clean or fret polish. That's the main thing. Or sometimes I want to move the bridge a little forwards or backwards.

Here's some eye candy - a friend's Hughes & Kettner that I snapped some pics of a while ago. He's been through tons of equipment trying to find an amp he loves and this is what he ended up with. I have to agree - it sounds really damn good and he's had it for a few years so I think he's finally found something he likes. And anyway - it lights up!

20061211_225140.jpg

20061211_225855.jpg

And some arty guitar pics I took a while ago:

20050723_004637.jpg

20050723_004028.jpg

20050723_002844.jpg

Nice pics :O

Zoltrix

Phthisis said:
Just picked up the guitar for the first time a couple months ago. I'm still learning, but I have made some good progress and fallen in love with the sound of the acoustic.

Looks like the Yamaha I bought a few days ago. Mines brown though. I'm also learning. =)

Fusebox

Banned
Wait.... you got rid of a PRS for a Mexicaster?

o_0

In other news, I just got that V back from my tech and it is freakin SWEET. :D

demon

Fusebox said:
Wait.... you got rid of a PRS for a Mexicaster?
not quite. I sold my PRS over a year and a half ago since I wasn't happy with how it played, and it was having some problems. I played a US telecaster a bit at the store and couldn't tell the difference, so I'm not going to fret over it, lolollo. I didn't pay for it anyway.

Fusebox

Banned
Fair enough, I just have a hard-on for all things PRS - but you did the right thing anyway coz the main thing is you got a guitar that feels right to you, enjoy man.

demon said:
It's just a mexican telecaster. And it's more of a wine red than a cherry red. It's my second guitar, my first being a PRS Tremonti SE, but I just didn't like how it played. This is easier to play so I'm hoping I'll be motivated to practice more.

I love Telecasters. It's a really versatile instrument. And there's nothing wrong with a MIM (Made in Mexico). The body and neck are the same as US, although the hardware might be a little lesser quality. I swapped the pickups in mine for Keystones, added a 4-way switch and made the tone a no-load pot and I couldn't be happier. What specific model is it, demon? I hear great things about the $300 Squier Classic Vibe, I have to stop myself from getting one.

I bought a Behringer V-Amp 2. I can't really crank an amp, and my wife would have no understanding that different amps produce different sounds, so this lets me have a wide range of sounds and works great with headphones as well.

I recently borrowed my sister's MIM Stratocaster, which she hasn't picked up in 5 years. I've never really liked Strats, but I was having a good time playing it and offered to buy it from her. Unfortunately, our dad told her not to sell it to me! Oh, well, I'm still holding on to his Gibson Les Paul, so I guess it's a wash.

Fusebox

Banned
Just gave my new Flying V a good cane for the first time, I'm not normally a fan of chunky necks OR necks with finished backs but fuck me this axe is just too much fun with my pants on! Awesome balance, awesome tone, it doesn't make me wanna rip out big stretches or fancy sweeps like my Ibanez RG Prestige does, it just makes me wanna rock out with my cock out. :D

v3832.jpg

demon said:

The cheaper Line 6 Spider ams pretty much suck though. Vox Valvetronix series amps are better, and Roland Cube amps are not half bad either.

Powerslave said:
Guys a quick q. Can I clean the fret strips (the metal parts) with the Dunlop lemon oil fretboard cleaner?

Sure.

soakrates

Feel like I've posted this here a million times, but here you go:

zjrig.jpg

Ernie Ball Musicman JPM6 with piezo. Last night I broke like 4 strings at once attempting some Allan Holdsworth-style legato runs with the trem bar. I'm probably gonna take it in to have it set up by someone who has half a clue how to do that sort of thing. I find myself breaking strings on it more than I'd like.

Amp is a Vox ADVT120 head and 2x12 cab.

I also have an Ibanez SF420 from c. 1996 and an S470 from 2003. Need to do some maintenance on those two, though.

I've got a Roland Cube 30 and while it's ok I'm not entirely too happy with it. Distortion is fine but it's too messy, noise all over the place. I still haven't figured out how to properly play something like this without the open E string devouring all sound with it's ultra ugly distortion:

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-4------------5----------------7-------------9-------------------------------|
|----5-----------7----------------9--------------10---------------------------|
|-------0-----------0---------------0----------------0-------------------------|

adamsappel said:
I love Telecasters. It's a really versatile instrument. And there's nothing wrong with a MIM (Made in Mexico). The body and neck are the same as US, although the hardware might be a little lesser quality. I swapped the pickups in mine for Keystones, added a 4-way switch and made the tone a no-load pot and I couldn't be happier. What specific model is it, demon? I hear great things about the $300 Squier Classic Vibe, I have to stop myself from getting one.

I must say that usually American Telecasters are clearly better than Mexican made ones (The HW1 series notwithstanding)... even if there are obviously both good Mexican teles and bad American teles around. I have a Fender American Series Telecaster and a Mexican Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster, and even though they are both have ash bodies, the American one is noticeable lighter in weight. You'd expect that the Thinline would be the lighter one, but nope.

Powerslave said:
I've got a Roland Cube 30 and while it's ok I'm not entirely too happy with it. Distortion is fine but it's too messy, noise all over the place. I still haven't figured out how to properly play something like this without the open E string devouring all sound with it's ultra ugly distortion:

|-4------------5----------------7-------------9-------------------------------|
|----5-----------7----------------9--------------10---------------------------|
|-------0-----------0---------------0----------------0-------------------------|

If you play that with a lot of distortion, you should probably mute the strings with your pick hand, especially the e-string. Or just turn the amount of distortion down and add some mids...

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, try rolling a bit off volume off at the guitar - you'd be surprised how little gain a band like Iron Maiden use.

Fusebox

Banned
soakrates whats its like using that sweet Vox half-stack for home, can you get a good tone without breaking your windows? I could live with the sound of my Vox Valvetronix, it sound perfect for my needs, great sound, big volume for my the only venue I play - my home, but I look over at my setup and it's just so small next to my guitars, I think I've got a bad case of amp envy with a good dose of the upgrade bug to go with it.

So - I want to replace the Vox with something similar sounding, bigger looking, but I don't want to venture into silly wattage territory and end up playing on 0.5 volume forever either. It has to look good, sound decent and have good crystal cleans and silly hi-gain. Here's some choices I'm considering, all comments and thoughts are apppreciated.

This guy makes the Tiny Terror sound ace, but it doesn't have channel switching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

Orange%20PPC112%20Tiny%20Terror%20set2.jpg

But the Krank Rev Jr sound awesome here too, but I'd prefer to wait for the Rev Pro which is coming with channel switching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE

krankjr.jpg

Both with boost pedals.

Pity the Marshall micro-stack is based on the reportedly crap MG range - it looks shit-hot, my flying V would look sexy leaning against it:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=82

micro-stack.jpg

But if it at least has a decent clean channel I could use the ME-50 distortion into it, I might still look into them.

The Bugeras look hot and have ace specs, and their relationship with Behringer doesn't scare me but might need to be cranked to sound good:

http://www.bugera-amps.com/_01/prod...33XL-212&groupName=Guitar Valve Amplification

333XL+212.JPG

A Mesa Express short head and 2 x 12 cab would be heaven, but I can't afford anything boutique. What other big, good looking amps would you guys recommend for between around $500 to $1500?

soakrates

Fusebox said:
soakrates whats its like using that sweet Vox half-stack for home, can you get a good tone without breaking your windows? I could live with the sound of my Vox Valvetronix, it sound perfect for my needs, great sound, big volume for my the only venue I play - my home, but I look over at my setup and it's just so small next to my guitars, I think I've got a bad case of amp envy with a good dose of the upgrade bug to go with it.
Heh, funny you should ask, because the head actually is a Valvetronix (hence the "VT" in "AD120VT"). It has both a "High" and a "Low" channel so that you can get a good sound without blowing out your neighbors' eardrums.

I originally thought about getting the combo, but apparently they're notorious for breaking down. Sure do sound great though.

Fusebox

Banned
Thats awesome, I'm gonna go check your amp online now, it's going on my short list for sure.

edit - looks like yours has been replaced with a head/cab that has the same styling as my lil AD15VT:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/

I far prefer the looks of yours though, I'm gonna try and track one down locally to demo - hows its high gain sound?

Found a 60W version with the 2x12, it looks hot:

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/vox/valvetronix/ad60vthad212.htm

edit edit - took some searching coz its been discontinued but I found a local dealer with the head and cabinet in stock, now to scrape up some cash. :D

whitehawk

Banned
I'll post it tomorrow hopefully. Too lazy right now, I just go off rocking on it.

I've only been playing for 3-4 months, but I'd say I'm pretty good for how short amount of time I've been playing. Maybe I'll make a video of my best playing sometime.

it's anice amp...you can get mod kits installed to really get more variety tonewise. i prefer to shape sound via effects and someday i will have a collection of Devi Ever pedals

http://deviever.com/fx/

this guy knows how to make em!!!! sweetest fuzz i've ever heard!!!!

Fusebox

Banned
I just spent the last hour or so giving the Tiny Terror a work-out, also got to compare it to Crates new 18w tube-combo (fwiw I grew up with Crate amps, I loved their old stuff but none of their new stuff really gets me wet) http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=2 . The Crate was a 1x12 combo, I was playing the TT head through a sexy Mesa 2x12 half-cab.

Anyway, TT for the win. Really nice, clean bell-like tubey cleans on the neck pick-up with the amp volume up and the gain down, or I can swap to the bridge pickup, lower the amp volume and dial the gain up and get that classic rock riff tone, or I could roll the EQ knob on and go from chugga chugga 5ths all the way up to an ear-splitting solo tone.

So far I'm hugely impressed, the TT has my tone, and I can easily dial in any more gain I need from the Boss ME-50. Now I've just gotta find a nice non-bright-Orange matching cab to pair with it.

Yeah, I tested Tiny Terror quickly once, and it did indeed sound fantastic. The new Chinese made ones are supposed to have worse factory tubes than the older Korean ones, you may want to swap them for JJ tubes and keep the old ones for spares.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
New toy:

Zoom_H4.png

This thing is fucking awesome. A pocket-sized recorder (with built-in condenser mics or two external mic inputs) and 4-track mixer. The mic inputs (which can provide phantom power if needed) double as guitar/bass input sockets, and there's on-board effects and amp simulation.

Fusebox

Banned
Thanks man, it sounds superb! It is a little squawky and not as bright as it was in-store but thats just because of the average amp speaker cabinet I'm using (the speaker had the same sound signature when I used the amp as a combo) so I know it'll sound even better when the matching Orange 1x12 cab I ordered arrives to go with it but yeah, I love it. There's so many sweet spots juggling the vol and gain and it goes great with my multi-effects pedal too, I can get everything from clean to chugga chugga metal. Two thumbs up!

A quick snap:

2765918827_9630e8522c.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
My matching cab arrived yesterday:

2800863433_aec8af5db5_o.jpg

And fuck it sounds good now. Heaps more treble and bass, and less fizz in high-gain modes. Even dry with just a guitar jacked straight in the TT and cab sound sooooo sweet.

Fusebox said:
My matching cab arrived yesterday:

2800863433_aec8af5db5_o.jpg

And fuck it sounds good now. Heaps more treble and bass, and less fizz in high-gain modes. Even dry with just a guitar jacked straight in the TT and cab sound sooooo sweet.

WOW

bows down

That looks pretty cool, Fusebox. Orange cabinets are nice looking compared to the usual boring Marshall ones :)

I bought an another guitar a couple of weeks ago, hopefully this will be the last one for a while:
27ytp37.jpg

A Mexican Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster reissue. Sounds great and looks very nice. The neck is not as good as in American made Fenders, and the nut needs adjusting, but I still like this guitar very much...

Fusebox

Banned
Thx guys, I wanted something that was good looking as well as good sounding, and speaking of good looking that is one sexy Tele! How do those pups sound compared to the single/lipstick setup?

Fusebox said:
Thx guys, I wanted something that was good looking as well as good sounding, and speaking of good looking that is one sexy Tele! How do those pups sound compared to the single/lipstick setup?

It sounds pretty different, but the guitar is still brighter sounding than mahongany bodied Gibsons etc. And there is some of that tele twang left... I quite like the sound, bright (for a humbucker), crisp and cuts through the rest of the band pretty easily. Some people have said that these reissue models are not bright enough, but you can add brightness by changing the pots...

Top Bottom