• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun store owners 'seeing up to four times as many black and minority customers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeron

Is there a gun OT thread floating around here? Looking to get my first weapon and wanting to get some recommendations.

Edit: beaten

Could always ask in this thread. The community thread doesn't get a lot of traffic but the regulars are knowledgeable.

SpecX

Here's the de facto gun OT. We might need an actual OT soon though.

Edit: beaten

Could always ask in this thread. The community thread doesn't get a lot of traffic but the regulars are knowledgeable.

Thanks! Good point, looks like that place can go a few days without posts.

Question is pretty much the same, looking for my first weapon, nothing crazy. Looking to get a hand gun for home safety, but I have no idea where to begin. Talking with a friend and we're talking about going out to one of the ranges nearby to get some hands on especially since CA has a test you need to take prior to being able to attempt to purchase. Looking for something simple, easy to maintain, reliable, and doesn't cost a fortune. Planning to spend around $600 - $700 on this. Any tips?

rykomatsu

First guy there was a mexican man and his son looking to buy an AR. I'm black and the guy behind me was black as well. I tried to go the day before and it was a no go. I live in Torrance CA and gun sales are up big time judging by how packed turners is every day.

Well, the CA assault weapons ban is going into place on 1-Jan-2017, and you need 10 days for DROS to clear (if no issues are found). So you probably have some (a lot) panic buying setting in for "scary" looking weapons as well.

Thanks! Good point, looks like that place can go a few days without posts.

Question is pretty much the same, looking for my first weapon, nothing crazy. Looking to get a hand gun for home safety, but I have no idea where to begin. Talking with a friend and we're talking about going out to one of the ranges nearby to get some hands on especially since CA has a test you need to take prior to being able to attempt to purchase. Looking for something simple, easy to maintain, reliable, and doesn't cost a fortune. Planning to spend around $600 - $700 on this. Any tips?

You don't need to get experience at a range to pass the test.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf

Study that for like 30min to an hour and you should be set to go. It's ridiculously easy. I studied, went to take exam, and came back with my cert while my wife was napping. Range experience definitely doesn't hurt, but there's no reason you couldn't be done with this portion say tomorrow if you really wanted to.

Do you want to buy new? Or used OK? Some good deals can be had (like a Sig 226 for ~$750 for example)

SpecX

Well, the CA assault weapons ban is going into place on 1-Jan-2017, and you need 10 days for DROS to clear (if no issues are found). So you probably have some (a lot) panic buying setting in for "scary" looking weapons as well.

You don't need to get experience at a range to pass the test.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf

Study that for like 30min to an hour and you should be set to go. It's ridiculously easy. I studied, went to take exam, and came back with my cert while my wife was napping. Range experience definitely doesn't hurt, but there's no reason you couldn't be done with this portion say tomorrow if you really wanted to.

Do you want to buy new? Or used OK? Some good deals can be had (like a Sig 226 for ~$750 for example)

What are some of the pros and cons to buying new vs used? I'm completely new to this and the consumer in me would prefer new, but without really knowing I couldn't say to be honest.

The gun you want is a Glock 19.

Thanks, watching this now. So far this guy makes this look like a piece of cake to handle and use.

What are some of the pros and cons to buying new vs used? I'm completely new to this and the consumer in me would prefer new, but without really knowing I couldn't say to be honest.

Thanks, watching this now. So far this guy makes this look like a piece of cake to handle and use.

Used vs new is all about who had it previously, how good they took care of it and what brand it is. I bought a mini 14 used years ago, didn't know the guy too well, but new his friends from the calguns.net forum. Mini 14 is also stupid reliable so I knew at least that it would shoot at the least and be an awesome rifle at best, which it is. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, but talk with the seller, get some background and make sure it is a reliable make/model.

rykomatsu

You can get decent discount compared to equivalent new firearm. However, don't expect to find that bargain of a lifetime...if something seems excessively cheap, there is probably a reason for that.

This probably doesn't apply to you, but you can also purchase off roster handguns in CA if via private party transfer which you otherwise wouldn't be able to. For example, a law enforcement officer can obtain a Gen4 Glock, then sell it used via private party transfer (can't be a strawman purchase though). For off roster guns, though, most command a premium...

Jonm1010

Banned
Honestly, that piece boils down to, "I and my side take a vicious cycle view of human civilization, Human nature doesnt change and ultimately a bloody circle will complete itself. That current gun laws are an effective deterrent against total U.S. government tyranny. I am not going to qualify my thesis empirically(in fact side step it when I take on the counter-point) but you need to accept it and if you want to do anything about it, you need to ignore questioning our assumptions, and leave our guns alone. Instead, focus on the other liberal things I like and through that shared prosperity people will find guns antiquated...Even though I just argued earlier my side will never buy into that."

I appreciate the thoughtful attempt at thinking about this issue on his part, and I think he points out some things that may hold true for people on either side in terms of their reasoning, but by failing to incorporate empiricism into his argument, he left himself open to some easy deconstructions. On top of what seems to be a sort of self-defeating logic.

For instance he implies a hard line between shared prosperity and a reduction in the desire for gun ownership. Setting aside his own logical knot, in this supposed struggling economic times, where the gap between the very rich and every one else is at levels not seen in nearly a century, household gun ownership on a per-person basis has fallen. It certainly may describe some of the present logic of the gun owners that are around, that are buying more and more guns, but as a whole that doesn't seem to hold true in America.

SpecX

Thanks for the tips. Read through and took the mini test in each chapter. Heading out to the range this weekend to get a feel for some hand guns and planning to take the test early next week so I can start the process.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Met a guy at a new work site that just moved from Brooklyn to Salt Lake City, I spent a few minutes trying to explain to him what gun ownership in Utah is like, and that even to pleasant polite Mormons he's still just a brown face with curly black hair. He said coming from New York he hates guns, so I said to him "it's not about how you feel about them, it's about being responsible for your own safety."

He seemed in doubtful, it seemed like he had an idea that people own guns here but just leave them at home. Then another guy working there came in, took off his jacked and had a 45 loaded with hollow points on his belt, with two full spare mags. I looked at him and said "it's no joke here, these people are armed. If someone means to do you harm you have to be able to meet them with equal force."

I had hoped to get his phone number so I could follow up with him about at the very least investigating a gun safety class and maybe a CCP class, but we separated and I don't think either one of us is going to be at that site again. Maybe that moment will stick with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom