• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive developer (beril :D) working on a Zelda-inspired game for the 3DS

serplux

From Siliconera: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/2...king-on-zelda-inspired-game-for-nintendo-3ds/

It's still very early in development and a lot of the design isn't finalized, but it's very heavily inspired by the early Zelda games; it uses a topdown perspective with 3D graphics and it's for the 3DS. The artstyle is fairly different from the new Zelda but has some influences from [A Link to the Past] as well, so yes I think comparisons will certainly be made to [A Link to the Past 2].

Man I wish these indie guys would get inspired by something other than Mario, Metal Slug, Contra, SOTN, Gradius, or Zelda

VanWinkle

Cool. Gunman Clive was a decent game. Nothing great but it was cheap and good quality, so that makes me interested in this.

JulianImp

I still have to catch up with some Wii and DS games I absolutely want to own, but I intend to buy a 3DS by the end of the year and I'll be looking forward to this game.

I've always had the dream of developing for a Nintendo console, so I've been silently rooting for beril since I head Gunman Clive was going to be released for the 3DS, and wish him the best of luck with this new project!

rjc571

Banned
Sweet, I just hope it's a bit more substantive than Gunman Clive. I'd rather spend 10 bucks on a 5 hour game than 2 bucks on a half hour game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck man, will be there day 1 if you price it like Gunman Clive. :p

Man I wish these indie guys would get inspired by something other than Mario, Metal Slug, Contra, SOTN, Gradius, or Zelda

Someday, the people who shout "STAR TROPICS" in every nintendo franchise revival thread will inspire an indie dev to make a version of that game.

I have high expectations for this one. Maybe as much as for the next 3DS Zelda.:eek:
If there's enough content, I might buy it at high price.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm, Gunman Clive was alright by me but this is gonna have to be a far meatier experience to be a decent game that doesn't feel like a mobile low budget low cost copycat, does he have the resources for that?

I think it was a while ago he said that, but yeah. Gunman Clive was pretty fun (though I don't like Western settings very much) so I'd be interested in trying out whatever he puts out next.

javac

Hmm, Gunman Clive was alright by me but this is gonna have to be a far meatier experience to be a decent game that doesn't feel like a mobile low budget low cost copycat, does he have the resources for that?

He has something far greater. He has GAF. With the power of GAF within him and all the support of yours truly he shall succeed.

Gambit

Hope beril's brother is doing the music again, he's super talented!

Agreed. The music was superb.

Really loved the game and only yesterday got my friend to download it as well.

I hope Beril will keep the Western theme. Would make for a nice change from the medieval settings.

redcrayon

So basically 2D games then? Gunman Clive had more in common with mega man.

Expecting developers in their 30s not to have been inspired by the best 2D games is a bit unreasonable. They pretty much make up my entire top ten games of all time list- when you don't have a bloated 3d world to play with, gameplay has to be tight, so the best 2d games are often based around simple stuff that is also well within the skill set of a single developer.

Thomas Was Alone isn't based on any of the above, and the only thing Super Meat Boy has in common with Mario is the tight jump controls. I think you just notice the games with those influences more.

The problem is that reviewers are often also of a similar age, and those games make up the birthplace of modern console franchises and so are the easiest comparisons to make, rather than the most accurate- if you wanted to talk about a game about jumpin' and shootin', it's a fair bet that Contra, Metal Slug and Mega Man are the easiest frames of reference to engage as many readers as possible, rather than an old Amstrad game that nobody remembers.

You can see them doing it now with Dark Souls- any adventure game with RPG and fantasy elements gets compared to it as its become a bit of a cult barometer of quality for readers like us.

redcrayon

Most gamers have bad taste and won't try something new.
Was the word you were looking for 'conservative' rather than 'bad'? Because liking Mario, SOTN, Contra, Zelda, Gradius and Metal Slug isn't exactly bad taste by any metric other than a bizarrely contrary, massively outnumbered opinion. I can understand not liking several of them, but thinking all of them are bad is just comical.

It would be like me sneering at six of the mot highly regarded recent games:
"All I see is games inspired by Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Halo, GTA, Elder Scrolls and Battlefield. Gamers have terrible taste and won't try anything new."
Just because something is popular and used as a benchmark because of it doesn't make it bad. Bad imitators are bad all on their own.

Top Bottom