• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy makes fan film,sees Uncharted 4 in action: "Almost scary real, photo realistic”

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reads like fanboy hype.

Uncharted was never photorealistic... I hope that's just his way of saying it was believable.
If what he saw was running at 60fps then I could see his perceptions being influenced by that. I know even last night there was one part in AW gameplay that looked almost photo real in motion but when I looked at the screens I took later it became clear where the flaws were.

martino

There is nothing irrational about GAFs love for Vanquish.

UC3's problem was that it followed UC2, which I think surprised everyone with how awesome it was. Expectations were unreasonably high, plus UC3 had a few weird sequences that really stick in people's minds. I'm not sure that UC4 will top UC2, but I'm sure ND is using the extra horsepower for more than just prettier graphics.

not at all
I played the 2 first game 3 times in a row , 3 times !
I was bored and forced me to finish their 2 last game....because they don't play better...
but they sure are overhyped better after u2 !

TheAssist

5xaOcLJ1EwSaVqVTwQg.gif

cant be more real than far away LOD drake

Spinluck

If what he saw was running at 60fps then I could see his perceptions being influenced by that. I know even last night there was one part in AW gameplay that looked almost photo real in motion but when I looked at the screens I took later it became clear where the flaws were.

Ah, I see what you're saying, it's true. I had moments like that in Infamous, although, they aimed more towards photorealism in that game--especially with the lighting. Still lots of expression with the colors in that game. ND has good artist and tend to use them as a heavy influence--so I'm not too worried.

My favorite thing about the visuals in the Uncharted games is the blend of some realism, with a very stylistic world. Saturated colors, and great motion capture work that is exaggerated in game. It never feels like they're heading into uncanny valley.

At the same time, I wonder if that was because of the PS3s limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned a few things in favor of a more realistic look now that they have the tech.

I feel like these same hype filled words have been uttered every generation since 32/64bit, and everyone is always amazed by the novelty of some new graphical benchmark. Then a couple years pass, the veneer dulls a bit, and everyone realizes that it still looks nothing like an actual photograph. Closer maybe, but still worlds apart from the subtlety and complexity of a genuine physical environment.

None of which diminishes the accomplishments of dev teams who break new technical ground, but "photo real" is a shitty metric, and ultimately never very accurate. And honestly, I'm not even sure it's the goal I want devs to aim for.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah, I see what you're saying, it's true. I had moments like that in Infamous, although, they aimed more towards photorealism in that game--especially with the lighting. Still lots of expression with the colors in that game. ND has good artist and tend to use them as a heavy influence--so I'm not too worried.

My favorite thing about the visuals in the Uncharted games is the blend of some realism, with a very stylistic world. Saturated colors, and great motion capture work that is exaggerated in game. It never feels like they're heading into uncanny valley.

At the same time, I wonder if that was because of the PS3s limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned a few things in favor of a more realistic look now that they have the tech.
One of the things I'm most impressed about with what the Drake model we've seen is how they moved so well from a more stylized character to one that's more grounded but is still immediately identifiable.

I feel like these same hype filled words have been uttered every generation since 32/64bit, and everyone is always amazed by the novelty of some new graphical benchmark. Then a couple years pass, the veneer dulls a bit, and everyone realizes that it still looks nothing like an actual photograph. Closer maybe, but still worlds apart from the subtlety and complexity of a genuine physical environment.

None of which diminishes the accomplishments of dev teams who break new technical ground, but "photo real" is a shitty metric, and ultimately never very accurate. And honestly, I'm not even sure it's the goal I want devs to aim for.
I agree. I want games to be obviously rendered but I always think it's fun early on in a new gen when everyone is impressed again. I really hope Nd can pull of the fidelity they're aiming for at 60fps. I think it would send a real message that visuals and framerate can coexist and set a strong predecedent for other linear titles. AW really impressed me on that front.

KKRT00

I can believe that main characters models look amazing, its what most exclusive games are know for - making the most visible/important assets as the best as possible.
I can believe that vegetation physics are very good, we already have Crysis 3 as proof that its doable not only on current gen, but also on past gen, and Frostbite 3's physics in Battlefront looked amazing too.
But going 1080p60 means tons of compromises on PS4 hardware.

Oh boy. If any proof of fanboyism was needed, there it is. He probably saw some assets they're gonna use for cutscenes.

The way this kind of replies keeps coming back, suggest some people want to cling to it tp justify their already prepared "I am disappointed" reply. When I hear somebody saying that some piece of footage is unbelievable, I usually take it to mean that he was really impressed by the way it looks, so I don't hold it against him when I end up realizing that there was no reason not to believe what I was have been watching.
Also, the cutscenes are in real-time this time...

Ishida

Banned
There is nothing irrational about GAFs love for Vanquish.

UC3's problem was that it followed UC2, which I think surprised everyone with how awesome it was. Expectations were unreasonably high, plus UC3 had a few weird sequences that really stick in people's minds. I'm not sure that UC4 will top UC2, but I'm sure ND is using the extra horsepower for more than just prettier graphics.

The problem here is not people calling UC2 superior to UC3, that's a valid opinion. The problem is that constant vocal crowd who even calls UC3 "garbage", "crap", and the like. Make a tour around any thread about this game, and you will see hyperbole and shit posting to its finest.

The problem here is not people calling UC2 superior to UC3, that's a valid opinion. The problem is that constant vocal crowd who even calls UC3 "garbage", "crap", and the like. Make a tour around any thread about this game, and you will see hyperbole and shit posting to its finest.

Yea the "UC3 is crap" hyperbole is nauseating. I thought UC2 was amazing, and better than UC3, but that doesn't mean UC3 is bad.

It's like looking at a Bentley and going "That's trash this McClaren is so much better and it came out before it"

OsirisBlack

Banned
It's crazy how This game looks better than The Order already.

They are in my opinion the two best looking games shown so far this gen but I cannot definitively say UC4 looks better than the Order.

bpMKHJ1.jpg

8YTuY4d.jpg

J1PV1n1.jpg

wc9dUjw.png

Afom5Nn.jpg

aFCbsDy.png

Both look absolutely ridiculous and I cannot wait to see more.

Edited to add: Looking over the pictures again I am actually amazed at how good both of these games look so early on in the consoles cycle.

Salz01

Personally I'm keeping my expectations in check. This year has been an overall disappointment in what next gen was supposed to bring to us. Sure some games like second son didn't disappoint graphically, but other than that everything just seems like a higher rez port of a last gen game. That includes anything on PC too. Maybe next year that will change, but till I see or play a game that looks like this e3 trailer, and not just a few second clip, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Because I'm starting to think I'm never going to play a game with this fidelity on current gen platforms. Maybe next gen. I'm afraid it's just smoke and mirrors.

-SD-

Banned
Not sure what the point of quoting yourself was...
Well what's the point of interneting if you can't be pretentious?
People who blow things out of proportion a.k.a. drama queens (like you two) and politics discussion on gaming threads are what I really, truly hate about GAF, at the moment.

There was nothing "pretentious" in quoting myself. I just wanted to show that there was a similar post made by another gaffer within a short time frame and self-quoting just happened to be the best way to do it.

Top Bottom