• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW2 GAFGuild | Community Thread

Ferny

bannerxvyypy.png

Gaming Age Force [GAF] (or "GAFGuild") is the official NeoGAF presence within Guild Wars 2. We will be a fairly casual guild but will have our hands on different aspects of the game including WvW/PvP, dungeon runs, among other things. Membership is entirely optional but is encouraged, as we are offering many useful services.

tempx3uo0.png

The easiest way to get an invite to the guild is to whisper an officer or GM in-game with the </w name message> command (e.g. "/w <officer> Hey, this is <username>, can I get an invite"). This makes it so we can simply right-click your name in chat and invite you from there. Officer names will be posted as soon as we have them secured and will be posted IN THIS SPACE:

Ferny: Name not reserved.
Hawkian: Name not reserved.
Jira: Name not reserved.
Kayos09: Name not reserved.
Maxrpg: Name not reserved.
Mulligan (EU): Name not reserved.
Naito (EU): Name not reserved.
Retro: Name not reserved.
Warrior_Keoni: Name not reserved.

REMEMBER:
/w <officer name> Hey this is <your GAF name>, can I get an invite?

temp26suw7.png

Guild Website
To keep the official thread as on-topic as possible, and to aid in event planning and community building, we have created a separate guild website; GAFGuild.com. Registration is quick and easy, and grants access to features such as an event calendar, profession-specific discussion and

Guild Mumble
Gaming Age Force uses Mumble for all voice communication.
The address appears at the top of this post when quoted.
Please use your GAF name when logging in so we know who you are.

Guild Twitter
Stay up to date on GW2 and guild information by following @GAFGuild.

Guild Emblem
This is the symbol you'll see on your arms and armor, and flying from banners in WvW. The original emblem was suggested by Piecake, flipped by Chapel, and the appearance of the N/G was noticed by Lump of Cole.

guildemblem4lkyl.jpg
emblem2r6kn5.png

banner__1531jtp.png

We&#8217;ll be using GAF&#8217;s rules as a basis for our own policy in-game, since everyone should be quite familiar with them already. Not every rule will transfer over exactly, but a good rule of thumb is, if it would get you banned on NeoGAF, it will probably get you kicked out of GAFGuild.

One noteworthy difference is that the GAFGuild has a Zero Tolerance policy on Drama. The guild is meant to be a place for GAFers to play together and we know disagreements are bound to happen, but anyone intentionally holding grudges, starting arguments or causing trouble within the guild will be dealt with swiftly. The worst thing that can happen is one person ruining the atmosphere and attitude within the guild and hurting it in the long run. Our goal is just to have a friendly guild where people can log in and have a good time with fellow GAFers without having to face a lot of drama.

You should also provide your GAF Username in your Personal Note (or GW2 equivalent) so we know who everyone is on both the forums and in-game.

Non-GAF Membership
We know that several of you have friends and family you want to play Guild Wars 2 with that may not be part of the GAF Community. There will likely be players who are still pending account approval as well. Friends and family of GAF Members are welcome to join as long as they are vouched for by a member. We will likely ask that non-members list who vouched for them in their Personal note (or GW2 equivalent) so we know roughly where everyone is coming from.

Those awaiting GAF approval should contact one of the Officers or GMs in-game for an invite. GAFGuild cannot do anything about the wait time for approval.

banner__164tjtr.png

Unlike most Guilds, GAFGuild&#8217;s ranks are meant to be as fair and simple as possible.

At the head of the guild are the GMs, who have the most control over the guild. We currently have two volunteers serving as co-leaders.

After the GMs are the Officers, those who have exhibited their knowledge of the game and willingness to help others. Officers are not &#8216;better&#8217; than regular members and are there only to answer questions, keep the peace and perform basic guild management. It is worth noting that GMs and Officers are required to have additional account security (as applicable) to ensure the Guild is not hacked and plundered.

Members are players who are GAF Members or who have been vouched for by a member. Members can recruit players into the guild, but cannot promote them above Recruit status for security reasons; please ask an officer to change their personal note and increase their rank for you. Members who vouch for players who later engage in unscrupulous behavior may be asked to make reparations (replacing items stolen from the bank, for example).

Finally, there are Recruits. This is the rank for players who have not had their GAF Account approved or who have been recruited at the request of a member but have not had their Personal/Private note edited to reflect this. Recruits are not considered &#8216;lower&#8217; than members and should not be treated as such. The only difference between a recruit and a member is slightly limited bank access to ensure security.

banner__14mtk6i.png

GM: Ferny, Jira
Officers: Retro, Hawkian, Kayos90, Maxrpg, Warrior_Keoni, Mulligan (EU), Naito (EU)

Retro

Awesome.

At first I was worried it was a bit early to start up a Community thread, but in two weeks the pre-purchase starts. While I'm sure there will be some kind of NDA for those who participate, I don't think it will apply to arranging to meet up in the game. After all, at that point, it will not longer be a question of luck but a question of if you pre-purchased or not.

I would like to add that the community thread is not a replacement for the News thread that's currently active; this really should just be a place to discuss community issues. General discussion of the game should be in the old thread for sanity's sake (having two simultaneous threads talking about the same thing is going to cross more than a few of my wires.)

We should probably start trying to figure out what name we want to go by, so that's a good conversation starter for this thread.

Anyways, the wife asked me earlier tonight "How many people do you think will join?". It dawned on me that there's probably gonna be a ton of GAFers, a lot more than I think any of us thought at first. That's why I'm glad Ferny, Jira and the Officers have all kind of poked at the concept of a GAFGuild and gotten a nice, simple set of rules and ranks set up that encourages less drama and more community.

Looking forward to digging into the game with everyone.

Ferny

Thank god for no factions. One guild, one community, one bond.

That's honestly one of the things i'm most excited for in terms of guilds. Being able to just have one guild that can be a bunch of different races and professions without sacrificing people's desire to try different things will help guilds in GW2 thrive.

KaoticBlaze

Oh yeah first page :-D lol... But seriously watching all the new press videos today and reading the articles and listening to the gaf podcast brought my hype meter up once again... Cant wait for this game :-D

#Addme

Seems a little early for this thread considering since the beta isn't for another month, but whatever I'm in.

As far as the name of the guild goes I think <GAF>NeoGAF and/or Believe is the best option. No one can really complain about it since its the name of the site. I know some people wanted an acronym, but personally I don't like the idea and there's no way everyone will agree on which one to choose. I figure if people really want one it can go in the description/motd or whatever. That way it's easy to modify whenever the mood changes or people get bored of it.

#addme

Retro

Seems a little early for this thread considering since the beta isn't for another month, but whatever I'm in.

A moderator was asked and the thread was given the go-ahead. Only a few more weeks before Pre-purchase and then we're going to be getting into a more pen Beta.

As far as the name of the guild goes I think <GAF>NeoGAF and/or Believe is the best option.

I'd like to toss a few more ideas around a bit, but "NeoGAF" with the <GAF> Tag definitely gets the job done.

I'm definitely in (assuming you accept lowly juniors).

If you can post at GAF, you're automatically a Member in the guild. The only reason we have a "Recruit" rank is to temporarily hold people who have been invited (all members can invite) but have not had an officer update their personal note / officer note with the name of whoever vouched for them. It's purely there to prevent Guild resources / bank plunder. The idea is that if Joe Blow invites a shitton of friends, they can't raid the GBank and quit. And if somehow they do, Joe Blow is kind of held responsible.

Wallach

Do we know what kind of servers they'll be deploying? Like the typical East Coast/West Coast servers? I wouldn't mind playing with GAF but I won't be playing on an East Coast server, so it might not be compatible.

j_hiro

Is there any requirements to how much you play in the guild? I'm used to playing with a couple of close friends but when they aren't on I'd love to play with you guys. If that isn't a problem l then count me in.

#addme

zon

As I have said before, my primary guild will be the one me and some of my gaming buddies will have in gw2. If we're on the same server I'd like to join the GAFGuild too.

#addme

Ferny

Is there any requirements to how much you play in the guild? I'm used to playing with a couple of close friends but when they aren't on I'd love to play with you guys. If that isn't a problem l then count me in.

#addme

No not at all. Play for as long or as little as you want.

Retro

Do we know what kind of servers they'll be deploying? Like the typical East Coast/West Coast servers? I wouldn't mind playing with GAF but I won't be playing on an East Coast server, so it might not be compatible.

ANet has said that there are no regional locks on servers (source), so if it's a matter of time, you're good. I have a brother who works nights and is always rolling on Oceanic servers because of the time difference.

If it's a matter of latency and wanting to play on servers close to you, we have no idea how GW2's network will be set up.

I would add that there are no restrictions on server migration, with one minor caveat. You can play with anyone on any server at any time, free of charge (no $25 transfer fee), but only in PVE or Competitive PVP. Due to the server-vs.-server nature of World vs. World, you will only be able to play on and represent your 'home server'. Your home server is account based, so you can't have 3 characters here, 3 characters there; all of your eggs are in one basket, so to speak.

So, if you want to do WvW and represent GAF while doing it, we all need to be on the same server. We haven't seen for sure how joining a guild off your home server will work out, but from the sound of thins it will be possible.

Even if there was content that required scheduling in advance, we probably wouldn't force it. GAFGuild is meant to be a casual guild for people to hang out and play with other GAFers. We know everybody has their own friends they want to play with, and if you want to vouch for and invite them to GAF or just multi-guild, it's up to you.

As I have said before, my primary guild will be the one me and some of my gaming buddies will have in gw2. If we're on the same server I'd like to join the GAFGuild too.

Yeah, we're going to try to work out which server we land on in advance and try to pick something that isn't high pop (like, we'll find out where other large communities are forming and avoid those) and isn't in a strange time zone for everyone. Even if the server selection isn't ideal, it only limits you in terms of WvW; you can play with anyone you want at any time outside of that feature.

SteveWD40

I am so in for playing with GAF'ers (haven't been this exited for a game since WoW) but I am wondering how things will be for us EU folks.

I assume they will have good data centres for us, since the MMO community in the EU is massive (just look at the majority of "top" guilds in the EU from WoW) but the time difference must be an issue.

Hoping there are other UK / EU guys playing...

Retro

I am so in for playing with GAF'ers (haven't been this exited for a game since WoW) but I am wondering how things will be for us EU folks.

I assume they will have good data centres for us, since the MMO community in the EU is massive (just look at the majority of "top" guilds in the EU from WoW) but the time difference must be an issue.

Hoping there are other UK / EU guys playing...

See my post above on region locked servers.

As for having other UK/EU players, Guild Wars is actually huge in Europe, especially Germany. This last Beta event was run from Europe too, that's why the embargo lifted so early in the morning; it was done on Central European Time rather than ArenaNet's usual Pacific time.

Whatever server you land on, you can still play with and be part of GAF Guild, as near as we can tell, with the exception of WvW. However, given the 24/7 nature of that game mode, I actually think you'd be able to hop in and play that and still have fun whether it's 3AM or PM.

We'll know more soon, hopefully.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whoa, what? I'm in!

Definitely willing to be an Officer if more are requested. I have over 1300 hours in GW and belonged to three guilds including GAF's (though long after it was not so active anymore).

#addme

GrizzNKev

Banned
Just checking in here. I don't think I need to say much.
#addme
Whether or not I can be an officer depends on the release date.

Ferny

Lots of people interested so far which is awesome. As for the questions about the timing of the thread, I wanted to get it up early enough to start getting everything organized and get certain topics discussed. We have two weeks till pre-purchase and then two weeks after that is BWE so it doesn't hurt.

Wes

venison crêpe
A Euro here that will definitely be playing. Hopefully the delay to US servers wont be significant and that we will actually be able to play on there.

#addme

Weswes.9038

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I will in all likelihood be playing.

#addme

Ferny

So in terms of the name for the guild. It has been brought up several times but it always seems like there is never a firm answer. So let's take care of it now. I have always felt like the [GAF] NeoGAF name was good and easy, it represented the site, and not something we would get bored with or want to change. Does anyone else feel strongly in another way. I saw a suggestion for [GAF] Believe which isn't bad at all either.

gunbo13

I think we wanted to settle with Neogaf/gaf last time we spoke of this. If we don't we'll probably go back and forth about clever names for endless hours. And you'll have people yammering about not liking the name later on. So I think we should keep it simple.

But that doesn't mean we can't argue about the OT name and be inventive with char names. ;)

Top Bottom