• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Budi

Gwent Open Beta OT: Hearths of Stone

I like this one! Though I'd like it even more if it was Hearts of Stone like the actual expansion rather than after Hearthstone. I think the reference would still go through.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm completely fine with it being Hearths.

JustinBB7

Saw video of all avatars, Ciri is not her real voice actress, why even bother? It just sounds dumb just like Emhyr. And since they said there will be a tutorial fully voiced with Geralt & Ciri which I was hyped as fuck about, that hype almost dropped to 0% now. Why not reuse her Witcher 3 voice lines for the avatar at the least..

Wow Forsen is actually playing PTR. First time he is playing the game at all looks like. He has no clue what he's doing but likes it better than Hearthstone so far he said lol.

decided my dash deck was ladder ready

jAaEljA.jpg

so easily countered, but

JustinBB7

Made a strawpoll so we can just vote for a title!

http://www.strawpoll.me/13010900

When should I put it up, tonight since servers close anyway or tomorrow. I'm not sure what the rule is anymore, wasn't it release day or 1 day before?

Edit: It's release so I'll post it on the 24th in the morning.

Also I'm at like #616 on the leaderboard right now so officially made top 1000 for sure yay!

JustinBB7

Just reached level 60 too so my final rewards for open beta:

Kegs purchased: 37 kegs
Player level: 60/5 = 12 x 2 = 24 kegs
End season rewards = Rank 15 avatar border + cardsharp title. Top 1000 border + Man-At-Arms title
Gifts from CDPR = Premium Geralt card, classic Geralt avatar, Pioneer title

So 91 kegs + the cosmetics rewards ready to go for open beta. $$

And maybe CDPR will reward some extra kegs as well for the launch, so maybe even 96 or 101 or something. That's gonna take a while to open!

Another new hint at new trailer and looks awesome again:

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/866307627218644992

Eric WK

Just reached level 60 too so my final rewards for open beta:

Kegs purchased: 37 kegs
Player level: 60/5 = 12 x 2 = 24 kegs
End season rewards = Rank 15 avatar border + cardsharp title. Top 1000 border + Man-At-Arms title
Gifts from CDPR = Premium Geralt card, classic Geralt avatar, Pioneer title

So 91 kegs + the cosmetics rewards ready to go for open beta. $$

And maybe CDPR will reward some extra kegs as well for the launch, so maybe even 96 or 101 or something. That's gonna take a while to open!

Another new hint at new trailer and looks awesome again:

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/866307627218644992

Dope. I don't have the patience to ladder back into Top 1000, particularly while waiting for new changes so I'll have to settle for everything but that border and title. If only I had quit back when I was Top 100.

I honestly don't know how many kegs I will have to open. Level 41 so 16 + 30 in addition to the (I think) 300 or so I purchased. Going to be a fun unkegging party on Wednesday.

Gwent Open Beta OT Title: Glitter Rocks: The Gathering

Currently at position 891, at 4626 MMR. It's been a pretty depressing climb at times: At one time I had slipped to like 4100~ish at position 2000+ on the ladder. Kept trying to find decks that would be good against both Consume Monsters and ST, but nothing with the amount of consistency I wanted. Finally decided to go back to the top ranked gwent db ST deck (Morenn Operator ambush deck). I think I've learned how to play the deck better against other ST decks, my win rate against them has improved drastically suddenly. A large part of it was adjusting my habits: back in Roach/Olgierd ST days I played Mercs ASAP, but with this deck it's better to play them after you've played your Dragoons etc so when your Merc pull thunder/lacerate/Aeromancy etc you have a better choice of targets.

Most other ST decks are playing Braenn as well, and when you're playing Ambush as long as you have card advantage it's hard for them to use Braenn on your big, buffed target.

Now: should I be greedy and try to climb to top 500? It's about 100 MMR away...

Hmmm. Decisions decisions...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ended at Rank 7, level 19 <---
cry.gif

I should've went all in on Monster/ST from the start. Oh well, I didn't expect to enjoy the game as much as I did and I'm hyped for open beta.

I got greeedy and tried to play more, fell out of Top 1000.
grave.gif

cry.gif

I should've went all in on Monster/ST from the start. Oh well, I didn't expect to enjoy the game as much as I did and I'm hyped for open beta.

It's ok Haly, you're just missing stuff you could compensate with real life
bountyrune.gif

cry.gif
I was level 14, and hadn't played since the positioning update came out. Even the casual opponents were using decks copied from the tournament, so there was no way I was gonna get another level today with the old deck I was using.

haven't touched this in months. gonna play this for real once collecting is permanent

what's the expected amount of card nerfs/buffs moving forward?

Rank 12 Level 54.

My Harpy deck hit a wall around 3000MMR that it couldn't break. Ah well, nearly 200 hours invested and came away with a majority of the cards in the game. Looking forward to the fresh start.

Wagram

I'll probably spend about $40 on cards ($60 total). I'm expecting the campaigns to be about 10 bucks each. I think that's fair.

JustinBB7

Gwent Open Beta OT Title: Glitter Rocks: The Gathering

Currently at position 891, at 4626 MMR. It's been a pretty depressing climb at times: At one time I had slipped to like 4100~ish at position 2000+ on the ladder. Kept trying to find decks that would be good against both Consume Monsters and ST, but nothing with the amount of consistency I wanted. Finally decided to go back to the top ranked gwent db ST deck (Morenn Operator ambush deck). I think I've learned how to play the deck better against other ST decks, my win rate against them has improved drastically suddenly. A large part of it was adjusting my habits: back in Roach/Olgierd ST days I played Mercs ASAP, but with this deck it's better to play them after you've played your Dragoons etc so when your Merc pull thunder/lacerate/Aeromancy etc you have a better choice of targets.

Most other ST decks are playing Braenn as well, and when you're playing Ambush as long as you have card advantage it's hard for them to use Braenn on your big, buffed target.

Now: should I be greedy and try to climb to top 500? It's about 100 MMR away...

Hmmm. Decisions decisions...

I got greeedy and tried to play more, fell out of Top 1000.
grave.gif

It's ok Haly, you're just missing stuff you could compensate with real life
bountyrune.gif

RIIIIIP

After watching my slow descent, I decided to just ignore ranked and take my prize, I saw no world where I dropped out of top 500 and busting for higher didn't sound worth it.

Yup, exactly why I stopped. I've been at like 320 on the leaderboard once. But with this MMR system of losing 65 a loss and only gaining +20 a win it's not worth the risk. I dropped out of top 1000 a week ago and event went to like 2500 at some point when I had a 6 loss streak. Climbed back in to like 570 2 days ago and was like that's fine. Really not worth the risk to go for higher. Last night before bed I was 677 so more than enough. Next season I'll try harder for top 500 or more since I got this in the bag already you know.

Glad it's closed now and I'm safe!

I was stubborn about wanting to use my own self made decks throughout the course of closed beta but I hit a wall with my refusal to go consume monsters, control scoia, or just a more refined version of a deck I was already using. Was probably a mistake not trying to get as far as I possibly could in ranked before some of my self made decks were nerfed through changes in X or Y area. (I preferred Axemen when they only grew through self wounding, my "Grave Robber" Monster Deck was far more relevant when Discard Skellige was still flavor of the month, and there's no telling how far I could have gotten with Henselt back when Margarita + Promote was literally exponential growth.) Ah well, lessons to take into Open Beta when all is said and done.

Oynox

Do we know if they will release the Open Beta as UWP version as well? held off playing the closed beta just because I could not sync progress between Xbox and PC.

hollomat

Banned
Have they made an announcement whether there will be a wipe after open beta or whether there will not be one?

The closed beta wipe is what held me off from playing too much, but I'm hoping there won't be another wipe so I can dive in.

DeviantBoi

If I learn to play this version well, how would I do in the Witcher 3?

One of the reasons I kinda stopped playing was because I was missing out on the Gwent quests and I felt my playthrough was ruined.

Silly, I know.

If I learn to play this version well, how would I do in the Witcher 3?

One of the reasons I kinda stopped playing was because I was missing out on the Gwent quests and I felt my playthrough was ruined.

Silly, I know.

I've gotten back into Witcher 3 to do the expansions, and Witcher 3 Gwent is downright trivial by comparison. You basically just play spies and decoy enemy spies and get like 5-7 card advantage and then just win.

JustinBB7

Fun that the PTR is still up. And updated as well. Gonna be interesting to see what it launches with.

Also the OT title is still tied lol. Has been every time I checked.

Top Bottom