• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gymnastics at the Olympics / Worlds |OT| Artistic, Rhythmic, & Trampoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
MEjPAOr.png

Heyyyyy, so gymnastics has been my favorite sport/event at the Olympic games for years (artistry + strength + throwing shit in the air and catching it + tumbling + dancing + cute outfits + hot guys in tanktops doing flips? yas), and I have just got into watching the Worlds just last year (which I plan on doing every year because I can't quit now). Use this thread to post about gymnastics at the Olympics and World Championships, and anything else in the gymnastics world I guess. Probably won't be very active anyway, but I'll try to keep it updated around major competitions.

Here is the schedule for Rio 2016 Gymnastics:

VycrUXn.png

Post what/who you're excited about in this thread, and use this thread to post about it as its happening in Rio.

My Favorites Going Into Rio:

ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS

• Simone Biles
    23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

World Ranking: #1 (Glasgow 2015 World Championships)
    Apparatus: All-around
    Why: She is the queen of gymnastics.
    Check out her Floor routine.
  • Kōhei Uchimura
    23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
    World Ranking: #1 (Glasgow 2015 World Championships)
    Apparatus: All-Around
    Why: World champion 6 years in a row. Slay them king.
    Check out his Floor routine.
  • Laurie Hernandez
    World Ranking: N/A
    Why: It's nice to see a Latina gymnast get some shine. She also has amazing potential and is definitely a medal contender at Rio.
    Check our her Floor routine.
  • Manrique Larduet
    23px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
    World Ranking: #2 (Glasgow 2015 World Championships)
    Why: From Cuba, and I absolutely love seeing countries that you would not expect snatch medals. Already snatched wigs out of nowhere in Glasgow 2015 with the silver, could he do it again? Yes please. Plus, he's hot.
  • Flavia Saraiva
    22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
    Why: A rising star in Brazil and has won in AA and individual event finals all around the world. Super compact gymnast. Hope she does well.
    Check out her Balance Beam routine.
  • Sanne Wevers
    23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
    World Ranking: #2 on Balance Beam (Glasgow 2015 World Championships)
    Apparatus: Balance Beam
    Why: Her routine is super fun to watch because it's full of difficult spins instead of lots of flips and tumbles. Hope she gets on the podium in Rio.
    Check out her Balance Beam routine.
  • Dipa Karmakar
    23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
    Apparatus: Vault
    Why: First gymnast from India to qualify for the Olympic games in over 50 years. She could be a figure for gymnastics in India. Plus, she's attempting the Produnova vault, which is the hardest vault in women's gymnastics (linked below). The 3rd woman in history to land it.
    Check our her Vault.
  • Oksana Chusovitina
    23px-Flag_of_Uzbekistan.svg.png

Apparatus: Vault
    Why: She is 41 years old. That alone is absolutely incredible. She exemplifies someone who has never given up and doesn't let anything stop them from competing. Inspirational. On top of that she recently landed the Produnova as well, making her the 5th woman in history.
    Check out her Vault.
  • Kenzo Shirai
    23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
    World Ranking: #1 on Floor (Glasgow 2015 World Championships)
    Apparatus: Floor
    Why: His quadruple twist has me screaming. Plus I love his tumbling pass where he bounces off the floor and does this weird flip thing.
  • Catalina Ponor
    23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
    World Ranking: Unknown (Comeback)
    Apparatus: Floor/Beam
    Why: This is her 2nd comeback at the age of 28, and she beat out Larisa Iordache for Romania's only spot, which in itself is crazy. I love when people never give up. Probably not much of a chance at a medal, but she will place high.
    Check out her Floor routine.

RHYTHMIC GYMNASTICS

• Margarita Mamun
    23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
    World Ranking: #1
    Why: Her routines are completely flawless and extremely enjoyable to watch.
    Check out her Clubs routine featuring Single Ladies by Beyonce as the music.
  • Yana Kudryavtseva
    23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

World Ranking: #2
    Why: Constantly in competition with her teammate Margarita Mamun for the top spot at world championships/competitions. Both are top class beautiful gymnasts.
    Check out her Ball routine (highest scored performance of 2015 World Championships)
  • Ganna Rizatdinova
    23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png
    World Ranking: #4
    Why: Major competitor at the world championships, and pulls a lot of incredibly risky moves during her routines. Definitely someone to watch for medal contention at Rio.
    Check out her Ball routine.
  • Son Yeon Jae
    23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png

World Ranking: #5
    Why: Someone who has risen tremendously in the last few years and showing no signs of stopping. She could snatch a medal in Rio with some flawless routines. Love her personality during her routines, plus she's super cute.
    Check out her Hoop routine.
  • Melitina Staniouta
    23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png
    World Ranking: #6
    Why: She is right up there with the best in the world, extremely elegant performer, and I would love to see her get a medal.
    Check out her Ball routine.
  • Laura Zeng

World Ranking: #18
    Why: From the United States, and it would be great to see someone from the U.S. finally throw the door wide open for more interest in the sport in this country. She has amazing potential, especially being so young and already doing so well.
    Check our her Ball routine
TRAMPOLINE

No favorites.

Major Gymnastics Events:

Olympic Games
World Artistic Championships
World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships

Other:

Pan American Games
European Games
Asian Games
American Cup
Pacific Rim Championships

tumblr_ncz8jhq8n61tb55pso1_250.gif

Btw the FIG posted some very simple introduction videos that you might want to add into the OT.

It doesn't explain all the rules, deductions, etc. But it's still nice for people that don't know anything about gymnastics.

Women's Artistic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGqgyQwULMo

Men's Artistic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMdWIq7fi8

Rhythmic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6QfXzdkvE

Individual Trampoline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-IC1Wb0ZU

simone is a legend already tbh, hope she crushes it

She was choking a little bit at the trials, but she is gonna win gold in the all around, floor, beam (if she doesn't fall again), and maybe vault. Hernandez has a chance to impress as well. Douglas was struggling at the trials, but she will probably raise her game and might make a final. Raisman will probably medal in an event or two. Kocian has an outside shot of placing in the uneven bars. The US women's team is the overwhelming favorite for gold as well.

On the men's side, I expect Japan and China to dominate. I think Levya and Mikulak are the US best bets for medals.

Rhythmic Gymnastics is my absolute favourite Olympic event. I discovered it late one night during Sydney or Athens when I saw one girl throw the ball up and catch it by bending over backwards and perfectly pinning it between the back of her head and her bumcheeks and I was utterly stunned. Been watching it ever since.

Yiazmat

Btw the FIG posted some very simple introduction videos that you might want to add into the OT.

It doesn't explain all the rules, deductions, etc. But it's still nice for people that don't know anything about gymnastics.

Women's Artistic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGqgyQwULMo

Men's Artistic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMdWIq7fi8

Rhythmic Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6QfXzdkvE

Individual Trampoline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-IC1Wb0ZU

ilikeme

I'm so in for this! I'm practicing amateur gymnastics myself so I'm watching this to see how it's supposed to be done. Gonna check out some of the Rhythmic stuff too thanks to this thread.

I'm watching with a friend who was a gymnast so he can explain stuff :D Really looking forward to it!

KmA

Dalton approves this thread.

tumblr_nir2ijUL9p1sdo0wjo1_500.gif

OH MY GOD his arms look like basketballs O_O
honestly he can destroy me

I'm so in for this! I'm practicing amateur gymnastics myself so I'm watching this to see how it's supposed to be done. Gonna check out some of the Rhythmic stuff too thanks to this thread.

I'm watching with a friend who was a gymnast so he can explain stuff :D Really looking forward to it!

ME TOO!!! I'm so looking forward to this to learn to actually be impressive hopefully lmao.

Meh3D

As pretty and impressive as rhythmic gymnastics is; it is so rigged. Forgot her name who's the big boss behind.

Where is that Khorkina GIF from?

As someone who competed in both men's gymnastics and trampoline, can't wait to watch. Always my favorite event to watch in the Olympics.

darscot

Rosie is going to throw down on womens trampoline. I can't wait to watch it. Artistic gymnastics I don't think anyone is going to touch the American team. I really hope the consider Tumbling and Double Mini as Olympic events soon. They are spectacular to watch.

Rosie is going to throw down on womens trampoline. I can't wait to watch it. Artistic gymnastics I don't think anyone is going to touch the American team. I really hope the consider Tumbling and Double Mini as Olympic events soon. They are spectacular to watch.

I don't know what that is, but I think Trampoline should be taken out of the olympic program entirely. It's as big a joke to me as curling.

I don't know what that is, but I think Trampoline should be taken out of the olympic program entirely. It's as big a joke to me as curling.
Uh, have you ever watched it? Doing double and triple flips 20 feet in the air is fucking hard.

As for Double Mini that would be cool to see, trying to get three tricks on such a small surface is really tough

Uh, have you ever watched it? Doing double and triple flips 20 feet in the air is fucking hard.

As for Double Mini that would be cool to see, trying to get three tricks on such a small surface is really tough

I don't want to derail the thread as I do enjoy watching artistic gymnastics, hence why I'm on this thread, but yes, I have watched it. I think it sucks and is a joke. No offense. I'm not arguing it's not hard though, a lot of things are hard, but it doesn't mean they should be olympic sports, IMO, of course.

I don't want to derail the thread as I do enjoy watching artistic gymnastics, hence why I'm on this thread, but yes, I have watched it. I think it sucks and is a joke. No offense. I'm not arguing it's not hard though, a lot of things are hard, but it doesn't mean they should be olympic sports, IMO, of course.
So why not?

darscot

It is an incredible sport, as is curling. I'll just mark your comments down as ignorance. Both sports take incredible skill and dedication. Trampoline is a sport that you kind of have to see live. When you see how high they go and the tricks they do it's incredible. Just the balls alone it takes is nuts. Give it a chance and it will surprise you.

This is DMT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qBzi9jhEM

So why not?

Why not what?

It is an incredible sport, as is curling. I'll just mark your comments down as ignorance. Both sports take incredible skill and dedication. Trampoline is a sport that you kind of have to see live. When you see how high they go and the tricks they do it's incredible. Just the balls alone it takes is nuts. Give it a chance and it will surprise you.

This is DMT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qBzi9jhEM

You can mark it down as to whatever you want and help you sleep better at night. I have given both a try and watched both trampoline and curling, and they are both hot garbage to me. Any sport takes incredible skill and dedication to get to the highest level, I'm not saying these guys and gals don't work extremely hard. They do. The sports are just....let's just say - IMO - there are other sports that deserve to be in the games as opposed to the two you mentioned.

darscot

Why not what?

You can mark it down as to whatever you want and help you sleep better at night. I have given both a try and watched both trampoline and curling, and they are both hot garbage to me. Any sport takes incredible skill and dedication to get to the highest level, I'm not saying these guys and gals don't work extremely hard. They do. The sports are just....let's just say - IMO - there are other sports that deserve to be in the games as opposed to the two you mentioned.

It's fine to have an opinion everyone does, but no one is going to value yours if you can't provide a single reason to back yours up, your just talking shit. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over your opinion.

Why not what?

Why are they hot garbage? You haven't done anything to back up your statements

It's fine to have an opinion everyone does, but no one is going to value yours if you can't provide a single reason to back yours up, your just talking shit. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over your opinion.

Why are they hot garbage? You haven't done anything to back up your statements

It's a subjective opinion, I don't have to back anything up. I personally don't care if you don't value my opinion. I don't like trampoline and that's that. You can say you hate some of my favorites, i.e. MMA, Boxing, Basketball, Football, Rugby, or Team Handball and think they all suck, I won't ask you to back your opinion up. You don't like them and that's fine. I don't know what you guys want me to say? I think it sucks. I'm not entertained when I watch it. I think it's a stupid and meaningless sport that just got added there a few games ago due to its tie to artistic gymnastic. I think of it as something that's done in the backyard and not competitively. Or better yet, if you wanna do it acrobatically, do it in a circus. I believe it's more useful for people who are training to go into artistic gymnastics or diving (even though I dislike the latter as well).

There's not a lot of sports I don't like and don't enjoy watching or playing, but trampoline is one of them. It's not that I don't understand the nuances of it, I just don't enjoy it.

If I want to see people doing acrobatics using a trampoline, then I'll go to cirque du soleil. I'm actually entertained with the stuff they do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom