• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers behind ransomware attack threaten to release data on foreign nuclear programs

Tovarisc

The hacking group that helped enable last week’s global ransomware attack is threatening to make public even more computer vulnerabilities in the coming weeks – including “compromised network data” pertaining to the nuclear missile programs of China, Iran, Russia and North Korea, as well as secret exploits affecting Windows 10, which is run by millions of computers around the world.

A spokesperson for the group, which calls itself the Shadow Brokers, claimed in a blog post Tuesday that some of those computer bugs may be released on a monthly basis as part of a new subscription-based business model that attempts to mimic what has proven successful for companies such as Spotify, Netflix, Blue Apron and many more.

The move highlights the growing commercial sophistication of groups such as the Shadow Brokers, which has already demonstrated a fearsome technical ability to compromise the world’s top intelligence agencies. And it underscores the way much of the underground trade for computer bugs resembles a real-world commercial market.

Security experts have been analyzing the blog post for clues about the Shadow Brokers’ intentions and capabilities.

Marcy Wheeler, a longtime independent researcher, said in a blog post of her own Tuesday that the Shadow Brokers’ post “brings the hammer” down both on Microsoft, whose products could be affected by any further leaks, and the National Security Agency, whose information the Shadow Brokers leaked in April. That leak led indirectly to the creation of WannaCry and the subsequent crisis, security experts say.

“Simply by threatening another leak after leaking two sets of Microsoft exploits, Shadow Brokers will ratchet up the hostility between Microsoft and the government,” Wheeler wrote.

The group’s new claim that it possesses information on the nuclear programs of state governments is extremely worrisome, said Joseph Lorenzo Hall, chief technologist for the Center for Democracy and Technology, a Washington think-tank.

“While they don’t seem to have the most amazing PR department,” he said, “they’ve already proved that they had some pretty serious access. The nuke facility stuff is particularly concerning, [speaking] as a former physicist.”

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...n-to-release-data-on-foreign-nuclear-programs

soco

Microsoft just can't catch a break.

One would naively hope that any nuclear related networks are isolated, but i'm sure that's not the case.

" A spokesperson for the group, which calls itself the Shadow Brokers, claimed in a blog post Tuesday that some of those computer bugs may be released on a monthly basis as part of a new subscription-based business model that attempts to mimic what has proven successful for companies such as Spotify, Netflix, Blue Apron and many more."

I'm reading this, and I truly do not understand what this means. Are they really talking about making a subscription service for...hacking?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
" A spokesperson for the group, which calls itself the Shadow Brokers, claimed in a blog post Tuesday that some of those computer bugs may be released on a monthly basis as part of a new subscription-based business model that attempts to mimic what has proven successful for companies such as Spotify, Netflix, Blue Apron and many more."

I'm reading this, and I truly do not understand what this means. Are they really talking about making a subscription service for...hacking?
My guess is that they are releasing information on computer vulnerabilities on a subscription model. People can then use that information to malware that attacks those vulnerabilities, or companies that made the software with those vulnerabilities may use that information to fix their shit.

Either that, or they're leaking information that they hacked on a subscription model.

for the information they have already stolen.

Fuser

Subscription ransom payments.

That's I how read it anyway. Edit, and I read it wrong!

Beartruck

Threatening multiple nuclear programs of very dangerous governments. That's a good way to end up with a bullet in the head.

Threatening multiple nuclear programs of very dangerous governments. That's a good way to end up with a bullet in the head.

This is exactly what will happen to the majority of them while they make the remaining members take the fall with a lengthy jail sentence in the end...

sangreal

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are not behind the ransomware attack -- they stole and dumped the NSA tools that were later used for the ransomware attack

That said, I would believe them

Tovarisc

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are not behind the ransomware attack -- they stole and dumped the NSA tools that were later used for the ransomware attack

That said, I would believe them

Correct. They didn't create that ransomware, but it was build with data and tools they released from NSA.

Is there a different source for this? Both the article and the news organization that hosts it seem a bit...sensationalist and 'some guy on a blog post somewhere' doesn't feel like a strong source in the first place. Marcy Wheeler's own blog is unwilling to commit to the idea that these guys actually have what they claim to have, and apparently the original source for this story, the blog post, talks only around what they could have and not what they actually have that's for sale.

Syriel

Sounds like it.

Exploit-of-the-month club!

Daedardus

Data on what? That those countries have a nuclear program running? Should be no suprise. But most of the industry stuff runs decoupled of the network, doubt they can break in that easily. They aren't going to able to target the PLC's running the centrifuges after stuxnet has been a thing and I doubt they are able to write such sofisticated software and inject it in the critical parts in all of the mentioned countries.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Looking forward to hearing adverts for the new exploit subscription service in my favourite podcasts. It'll make a change from fucking lootcrate.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm almost okay with "leaking" NK nuclear secrets except I'm afraid it might cause them to do something rash.

shockdude

Isn't the story that North Korea (probably) made the ransomware using the NSA's exploit leaked by the Shadow Brokers, and that the Shadow Brokers are otherwise a completely unrelated group?

Tovarisc

Isn't the story that North Korea (probably) made the ransomware using the NSA's exploit leaked by the Shadow Brokers, and that the Shadow Brokers are otherwise a completely unrelated group?

Yep. There is no known link between Brokers and NK, unrelated groups.

Threatening China, Russia and North Korea. Pretty smart, if you like to wake up with an (un)healthy dose of polonium in the morning. Or just lead if they like it oldschool.

Top Bottom