• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

had you thought about what will you do when you get to the last part of your life?

this might be a rather bummer topic, so please ignore it if you feel that way. and let me preface this by stating that, I'm getting close to 50 now. and due to my work in the last few years, I face a lot of elderly folks in a medical setting; which makes me think about these sort of things a lot.

I don't think I dread the idea of death, but I do have a certain amount of fear when it comes to getting old. more specifically, getting old to the point of not being able to take care of myself or do things for myself. as someone who lives alone, I really don't want to become one of those folks who can bearly eat or function in daily life or can't enjoy life in general. I know it's inevitable for everyone, but it's something that bothers me. it also affects the way I see society and it's structure in terms of the treatment for elderly folks sometimes. I understand it would be a lot more different for those who have a well established family with their partner and children, of course. but had anyone ever thought about not wanting to live so long to the point of becoming a burden to those around you?

again, sorry if this is a downer topic. just want to air out some thoughts.

This is why I am changing radically my diet, eliminating soda and alcohol and doing cardio and muscle training.
I will be fine, most likely I will just sit down and die at sunrise, Viking style.

good for you. I should definitely do more exercise and watch what I eat since I tend to go for more heavy tasting food. but I don't really drink much soda or alcohol. and I don't smoke either, so at least no worry on those. and yeah, I'll probably be fine... maybe. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Keep hitting the gym til the end of the line.

well, I don't know about "til the end of the line", but yeah, generally speaking most people now a days can definitely benifit from hitting the gym more or doing more exercise in general. I work from home these days so I don't really have much chance to walk around like I used to, so exercise is for sure something I should do more of. thou as a late night person, not having a gym that opens late around here is for sure one of the issues I have with it.

The healthier you are today, the higher probability that future medical breakthroughs tomorrow can increase the quality and length of your life. Try to form communities for mutual support as you grow older together.

well, with the way technology is going these days, I kinda hope I might be able to go with this one of these days :messenger_grinning_smiling:

either that or turn me into a cyborg or Lawnmower Man please :messenger_grinning_sweat:

My elderly parents are kind of a burden but every day they remind me of good and bad life choices, and wanting to live my best life with my family and friends. I'm not 40 but life is precious and every day is a miracle so do your best.

my dad is in his 80s and while he's still pretty healthy for his age, he's definitely showing signs of decline. he has trouble going up stairs and his memory is getting worse too. but at least his appetite is still sorta ok and his mind is pretty sound. we had talked about what he wants to do when the time comes and he already said he doesn't want resuscitation if anything happens. I agree on that also.

Not really. To be honest I'm hoping that I die suddenly long before I ever get to the point where my body fails me and I begin to contemplate my end.

I sat and watched my Grandpa and my Great-Grandmother both fail due to age and I don't want that for myself.

yeah, I see elderly folks in less than desirable conditions all the time and I just can't really get that fear out of my mind. I don't want to be like that either, as I imagine nobody would. I feel we as modern human is really living too long past what we should sometimes.

Darchaos

I will eat and drink and live my life to the full. Next week im taking my tent and fishingrod, a case of beer and a bottle of Jura whisky and som entrecotes and go camping by a lake for a couple of days. Imagine wasting youre life afraid of living it, holy shit.

Oh no, today i ate a pizza I hAve tO gO aNd RuN for 24 hours now, oh no im drinking coffe, i need to Stopz that couse its dangerous....Can you imagine that there are fucks like this out in the world? Holy shit....I got my self a bit upset so now i gonna order sashimi and a steak from 2 different places and drink a beer just couse i can. And no im not rich, it will cost me about 40 dollarinos and i just choose that over other things.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
My dad is in his 70's and doesn't give two shits, we're just back from a mini break with them and he was hitting the vodka and coke every night, waking up to a fryup and eating BBQ every day, he's not giving up what he enjoys to add 5-10 more miserable years to his life as someone that needs helped up a step lol he wants to go make himself a bacon sammich and drop dead from a massive heart attack, more than likely the old bastard will go dementia or stroke and leave me picking up the pieces in which case he's getting pillowed, again what he wants.

He comes from a long line of hardened bastards who drank, smoked and worked hard and all died late 80's/90's, hell my granny we used to joke was a fucking werewolf and needed a silver bullet to die, she clung to life in her last weeks in hospital and the docs couldn't understand why she wouldn't pass as she was brought off everything... We give her a helluva wake mind.

Me at 50 I want to be fit and healthy so I goto the gym 3days a week, try to hit the beer on a sat nite only and want to be around as long as I can, with the advancements in AI, medical science etc they'll be keeping us old farts around much longer

Drake

This is why I am changing radically my diet, eliminating soda and alcohol and doing cardio and muscle training.
I will be fine, most likely I will just sit down and die at sunrise, Viking style.
Same, my diet isn't perfect, but I try to keep things in moderation. I go to the gym 3 days and go for a walk just about every night after dinner and basically cut out all alcohol. I see all the health problems my mother has in her mid-60's because she's obese. My uncle on the other hand is in his 80's, and despite being a diabetic looks amazing. He never drinks and watches what he eats. He'll probably live another 20 years.

The more and more I read about alcohol the more I'm debating just cutting it out completely. It really seems the key to longevity is to eat in moderation, don't drink and get consistent exercise (both cardiovascular and muscular). It's simple, but it can be a tough thing to do consistently over many years. Its why getting into a routine is so important.

Yep, have thought extensively about it

BQM6jEZ-UJLgGUuvrNkYUOGjynDkKyYNbiBpx2EzB4riXq7ZZkKt-k5DHXxqBy8Agam5nvNciM_aOziLv28p7w

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'm going to opposite way. Hoping to die before my body breaks down on it own. I have no desire to be 80+ and denying myself things I love to get there seems like an awful idea.

Last edited:

Quasicat

My grandfather was a workhorse and worked out constantly only to get Alzheimer’s around 75 and died at 84. I am OK with dying as I imagine it’s fairly painless and I believe that I will be meeting Jesus in Heaven. What I don’t want is what my grandfather had…going from a strong head of a large family to not knowing anyone from my past. I’ve pretty much told my wife that once I forget her and the kids, to put me in a home let me go.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I recently took some mushrooms in the woods and I can say that I finally understand being comfortable with dying. I think I will be as active as possible as I head into my twilight. I will continue to prioritize having meaningful relationships with my spouse, family, and friends. I've finally let go of wanting a high level career, as I make enough money and finally have a job with excellent work/life balance.

The next stage in my life will be to work toward the new goals the wife and I have set out before us. I will continue to prioritize my time so I spend the most of it doing meaningful activities to help build better lives for both of us.

I can honestly say that I will live my life to the fullest that I can, and I know that when my times comes, I have have no regrets. I know this, because if my time came today or tomorrow, I would feel the exact same.

That's a lot of I statements :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I will eat and drink and live my life to the full. Next week im taking my tent and fishingrod, a case of beer and a bottle of Jura whisky and som entrecotes and go camping by a lake for a couple of days. Imagine wasting youre life afraid of living it, holy shit.

Oh no, today i ate a pizza I hAve tO gO aNd RuN for 24 hours now, oh no im drinking coffe, i need to Stopz that couse its dangerous....Can you imagine that there are fucks like this out in the world? Holy shit....I got my self a bit upset so now i gonna order sashimi and a steak from 2 different places and drink a beer just couse i can. And no im not rich, it will cost me about 40 dollarinos and i just choose that over other things.

So I recently took some mushrooms in the woods and I can say that I finally understand being comfortable with dying. I think I will be as active as possible as I head into my twilight. I will continue to prioritize having meaningful relationships with my spouse, family, and friends. I've finally let go of wanting a high level career, as I make enough money and finally have a job with excellent work/life balance.

The next stage in my life will be to work toward the new goals the wife and I have set out before us. I will continue to prioritize my time so I spend the most of it doing meaningful activities to help build better lives for both of us.

I can honestly say that I will live my life to the fullest that I can, and I know that when my times comes, I have have no regrets. I know this, because if my time came today or tomorrow, I would feel the exact same.

That's a lot of I statements :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm 'only' 35 and I wouldn't be bothered if I died next week.

well, that's completely fine and I'm all for it, living your life to the fullest and all. but I think there might be a little misunderstanding of what I'm asking.

while it's completely possible we would just be pretty healthy and sound of mind right til the end, there's always the possibility of the other outcome where we can't take care of ourself or maybe even remember about the people we love or how to take care of our daily life. if that happens, had you and the family talked about what to do?

like I said, since I'm single, there's not a lot to talk about. by the time I hit that stage, my parents will hopefully be long gone and I can decide on what to do by myself completely fine without worrying anyone. I'll probably just donate all my things to whoever can use it and fine a good way to end myself without bothering others.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
well, that's completely fine and I'm all for it, living your life to the fullest and all. but I think there might be a little misunderstanding of what I'm asking.

while it's completely possible we would just be pretty healthy and sound of mind right til the end, there's always the possibility of the other outcome where we can't take care of ourself or maybe even remember about the people we love or how to take care of our daily life. if that happens, had you and the family talked about what to do?

like I said, since I'm single, there's not a lot to talk about. by the time I hit that stage, my parents will hopefully be long gone and I can decide on what to do by myself completely fine without worrying anyone. I'll probably just donate all my things to whoever can use it and fine a good way to end myself without bothering others.
I believe that if you take care of yourself mentally and physically it will ease the pains of old age.

Barring that, I plan to fly to Switzerland to get euthanized.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ve been thinking about this lately. I want to live as long as I can and I workout and eat mostly healthy but I do enjoy an occasional dessert as well. I try to keep it balanced and do what I can now while I’m young/healthy.

Even if get to the point where I can’t take care of myself anymore and have to live with others, at least I want to know what’s happening in the world, especially with tech.

Will we ever get 32K TVs? What will the PlayStation 9 actually look like? Does Lebron ever retire? I WANT TO KNOW!!

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm getting close to 50 now. and due to my work in the last few years, I face a lot of elderly folks in a medical setting
Was exactly the same for me, I had to get out (Well my back did that for me before I had a choice..), but I do agree that it really does open your eyes to life after working years in that line of work.

I worked in a neurological ward for quite a few years, before that I was in community care for years and done a couple looking after young adults with disabilities too, i've seen pretty much all the worst that humanity has to offer but also the best and one thing I will say is that I know full well what you mean about becoming a burden but you have to remember that humanity is still good and there will always be people who will look after you no matter what and never see you as a burden.

It seems funny writing that on a forum where most of the time I probably come across as an obnoxious toss pot :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But if you ever feel truly alone just chuck us a message or any of the old farts here, I highly doubt we'd find you a burden 👍

As for me, I try not to think about it, my family is plagued by severe illness, my grandad died young, my dad died young and my mums a complete mess, i'm fast approaching their ages where they got ill, I just hope it's quick for me personally.

I’ve been thinking about this lately. I want to live as long as I can and I workout and eat mostly healthy but I do enjoy an occasional dessert as well. I try to keep it balanced and do what I can now while I’m young/healthy.

Even if get to the point where I can’t take care of myself anymore and have to live with others, at least I want to know what’s happening in the world, especially with tech.

Will we ever get 32K TVs? What will the PlayStation 9 actually look like? Does Lebron ever retire? I WANT TO KNOW!!

always a good thing to know what you want and have a plan for it. I respect that.

also, we already know what the PS9 would look like :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Was exactly the same for me, I had to get out (Well my back did that for me before I had a choice..), but I do agree that it really does open your eyes to life after working years in that line of work.

I worked in a neurological ward for quite a few years, before that I was in community care for years and done a couple looking after young adults with disabilities too, i've seen pretty much all the worst that humanity has to offer but also the best and one thing I will say is that I know full well what you mean about becoming a burden but you have to remember that humanity is still good and there will always be people who will look after you no matter what and never see you as a burden.

It seems funny writing that on a forum where most of the time I probably come across as an obnoxious toss pot :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But if you ever feel truly alone just chuck us a message or any of the old farts here, I highly doubt we'd find you a burden 👍

As for me, I try not to think about it, my family is plagued by severe illness, my grandad died young, my dad died young and my mums a complete mess, i'm fast approaching their ages where they got ill, I just hope it's quick for me personally.

yeah, that's exactly what I'm going through. and while I also see all the good things too, I just can't rationalize other stuff. so I kinda think myself into a corner on the subject I suppose. it kinda has to do with my personality and my general outlook on life too, I guess. in any case, just live your life the best you can and be prepared on (or at the very least, think about) what to do when/if that happens would be the most that we can do about it.

wondermega

Pushing 50 and still kinda living my life in many ways as if I was half my age. I have definitely slowed down but can still hang with the rug rats! But I acknowledge that there needs to be changes, pretty major, if I am going to make it in the next decade more gracefully in many regards. Physically I still feel "mostly fine" but my lazy lifestyle cannot be good forever. Also my mind has always felt particularly sharp (as well as can be self-judged) and between abusing myself, depression, sleep deprivation etc I can feel that starting to show some signs of wear and tear as well. As in "get better habits in the coming years or things may not be so wonderful."

As far as money, work, productive things to spend my time? I just don't like to linger on it too much, it is tiring.. depressing.. I feel like it's been a long, lonnnnng half-century. The world has been good to me but yeah I am tired of it, I have long felt this way that the experiences/relationships/career stuff I have gone through, they have been good for building my character and all of that but considering more of the same (going through more of the same with the reverence for what all of that means) is just unpleasant to think about. I might chalk that up to depression, feeling kinda stuck in many regards in my life (and I take full ownership for the reasons that all of that is the way that it is, I refuse to consider myself "a victim of circumstances" haha). Maybe if something happens to unseat my current lifestyle/trajectory then it will knock some sense, purpose, excitement back into my feelings about the future. Right now it's a pretty flat line.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s terrible enough to see how your body starts failing around 40 even if you don’t do anything to actively damage it. Plus I see plenty of old and unhealthy people every day, so I know how easy it is to just don’t give a fuck until one day you find yourself full of pain and physically unable to do simple stuff. Let’s not speak about mental disease, that’s just awful and it’s terrible how medical advances can prolong the life of mere human husks for decades after the brain has effectively gone.

I often think about the future and one thing I try to do is to stay thin. Obesity brings so many burdens and diseases with it, if you can avoid it you’ve already done a lot of good work for your later years. Another thing I do is read a lot and try to keep interested in new stuff. There’s really no prevention for dementia, but if you happen to avoid it, you don’t want to be someone who doesn’t know how to pass the day after retirement.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
like shrooms you found or went there to take?
Was camping and a buddy brought along some.

It’s terrible enough to see how your body starts failing around 40 even if you don’t do anything to actively damage it. Plus I see plenty of old and unhealthy people every day, so I know how easy it is to just don’t give a fuck until one day you find yourself full of pain and physically unable to do simple stuff. Let’s not speak about mental disease, that’s just awful and it’s terrible how medical advances can prolong the life of mere human husks for decades after the brain has effectively gone.

I often think about the future and one thing I try to do is to stay thin. Obesity brings so many burdens and diseases with it, if you can avoid it you’ve already done a lot of good work for your later years. Another thing I do is read a lot and try to keep interested in new stuff. There’s really no prevention for dementia, but if you happen to avoid it, you don’t want to be someone who doesn’t know how to pass the day after retirement.
Yes. As I've gotten older I can psychically tell how much working out and staying active helps. I feel amazing when eating well and working out routinely. If I don't, my physical and mental state is kind of depressing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'll be moving permanently to Australia when I pass 60.

No fucking way I'm having my autumn years ruined by the ever worsening NHS in the UK.

Ironbunny

I'll be moving permanently to Australia when I pass 60.

No fucking way I'm having my autumn years ruined by the ever worsening NHS in the UK.

Out of interest how diffucult is it to move into Australia as a UK citizen? I've heard that atleast from other European countries its quite diffucult especially if you are not going there with a working visa.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Out of interest how diffucult is it to move into Australia as a UK citizen? I've heard that atleast from other European countries its quite diffucult especially if you are not going there with a working visa.

I'm half Australian, so don't have to worry about it, thankfully. There are various avenues to get a permanent residency visa for foreign nationals, but they're all extremely hard to get hold of, and expensive. The Aussie government keeps a really tight lid on incoming. Work visas have tightened up a lot in recent years as well. The 457 used to be the way to do it, with sponsorship from the company you work for, but not sure if that's still running. The only guaranteed way in is if you're on the skills list: https://www.australianskilledmigration.com.au/skilled-occupations-list/ but i think even that is harder now.

My other half went the other way, being an Australian who moved to the UK. She didn't have anywhere near as hard a time!

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Hell yeah. We're not here for a long time we're here for a good time. Enjoy that shit.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm in my 30s, and it's not likely I'll have kids, so I won't have them to look after me.

Like others have mentioned, I stay physically active both for the mental & physical benefits and for the hope I'll be able to stay independent for longer as I get older.

My plan is to save enough for retirement that I can afford hospice care if it comes to that. Otherwise, my hobbies (outside of endurance training) don't require a lot of physicality, and video games will only get better. I'm looking forward to retirement age.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Both parents and sister deceased before age 65. Dad and sister definitely had health issues that were obvious, mom was kind of out of nowhere. All traced back to cardic issues.

Currently in my late 40's, in good shape, and i workout twice per day. I'm controlling the risk factors that i have control over, other than that i'm not going to stress over it. I eat and drink what i want in moderation. Since i'm exercising daily, i don't worry about "oh eating this is bad", etc.....life without good food isn't a life worth living.

I'm personally not afraid of dying.....i'm afraid of my kids being in a sometimes cruel world without me.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It’s terrible enough to see how your body starts failing around 40 even if you don’t do anything to actively damage it.
I see tons of people 10-15 years younger than me and they are in terrible health and look way worse than me. Funny thing is I don't take particularly good care of myself. I don't drink (often) or smoke and stay pretty active but that's about it and I cant say I've had an easy life must be the genes.

Top Bottom