• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime Tabata's new company is called JP Games, plans to launch in January 2019

Shin

Banned
Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata left Square Enix last month and he’s ready to jump back into action by announcing the establishment of his new company, JP Games.

Here's a message from Hajime Tabata regarding JP Games:

I started up my own company called “JP GAMES,Inc.”​
Right now, we are preparing for a target January 2019 launch.​
And to everyone who has assisted me until today–I kindly ask for your ongoing support.​
47388285_1394402014023960_8430571763217203200_n_thumb.jpg

safe_image_thumb.jpg

Hajime Tabata was previously the head of Square Enix’s Luminous Productions, which just got its new leader in Takeshi Aramaki, who worked as the lead programmer of Final Fantasy XV.

Credit: Siliconera

Last edited:

cireza

Good luck to him.

I doubt that he will have the money to go the AAA route. So I am guessing the first game will be a phone game.

Last edited:
Good luck to him.

I doubt that he will have the money to go the AAA route. So I am guessing the first game will be a phone game.

If i was in Namco Bandai I would fund him a AA RPG asap.
Sony potentially could, but don't see them interested in RPG market.
Microsoft could be interested to expand in the Japanese market, but they seems to lean more towars ready-to-go studios than building them from scratch at this point

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wonder if Nintendo would step in like with Sakaguchi (something they should do again for him since nobody else does, dammit).

I'd rather Microsoft or another company would so we get whatever on PC also but yeah, possibilities :p

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

It's great to see him persisting in the game market. A lot of financially comfortable men would have retired by now.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Wish him luck. Tabata leaving the company was so sudden and unexpected, considering how he gained a privileged position there. I wonder what made him resign.

Shin

Banned
Wish him luck. Tabata leaving the company was so sudden and unexpected, considering how he gained a privileged position there. I wonder what made him resign.
He was a clean up guy for other people's mess, might has something to do with it.
I don't think anyone would be happy with such tasks after so many times, so it's understandable to say the least.
I sort of used to blame him for FF XV changes and all that, but as I read more and more down the road it hit me that he cleaned up that mess as well.

CEJames

It's a bit of a generic name but easy to remember I guess....

Nonetheless, I'd like to have a teaser at the first game by next E3 :p

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
He was a clean up guy for other people's mess, might has something to do with it.
I don't think anyone would be happy with such tasks after so many times, so it's understandable to say the least.
I sort of used to blame him for FF XV changes and all that, but as I read more and more down the road it hit me that he cleaned up that mess as well.
Yes, but he was apparently getting ready to develop a new IP, so it was a high point of his career.

Fujan

I think a lot went down behind the scenes, and it's easy to either blame him or Nomura for it. I wish him all the best with his new studio.

bitbydeath

C’mon Sony, time to dust off the ol’ checkbook and get him making a real/traditional Final Fantasy game.

We could call it - Last Enjoyment or Dead Dreams

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I doubt it's going to be a AA title. More than likely it'll be a mobile or retro style game. Lets see what comes into fruition in the coming years.

dottme

I’m not sure why, but this make think of Mistwalker. It was great at the beginning and they produced some great game but they didn’t find commercial success.
Hopefully, Tabata will be successful.

Raitoningu

Banned
Lol. You'd surely know better than an industry vet.
Just like squix & the rest of japan is full of these "industry vets" and still struggle to do any interesting shit since the started of the HD era...

FFXV is a total disgrace, can you tell me who's the genius behind it?

TLZ

Banned
Just like squix & the rest of japan is full of these "industry vets" and still struggle to do any interesting shit since the started of the HD era...

Why's it a total disgrace? Wasn't it well received? And didn't it sell well?

woigemok

Banned

Tabata outputs are mediocre at best but you can't use FFXV development hell as a point to dismiss his productivity, in fact, he should be praised because he succeeded to ship the game to the market and it's successful commercially.

bitbydeath

Thank the gods (old and new) for our saviour Knack. Without his guidance and massive popularity we may not have a renaissance in platformers as we all know deep down they are trying to capture his inhibition.

woigemok

Banned
The only problem I have with FF XV is they're focusing too much on certain parts of the animations especially running animation. They didn't need to have more than 100 animation frames for that :messenger_beaming:

Raitoningu

Banned
Tabata outputs are mediocre at best but you can't use FFXV development hell as a point to dismiss his productivity, in fact, he should be praised because he succeeded to ship the game to the market and it's successful commercially.
Successful commercially because the FF name & the versus hysteria.

The entire company is suffocating on any project with some ambition, just look to their internally developed games this gen, one word: disaster

A broken ass FF after a decade of hell, random tiny garbage, a remake who's already in development hell, even a KH games have became nightmares for them lol

Got saved with outsourcing Nier & DQ XI, because they can't do it themselves.

Luminus bullshit engine is an international joke, whatever the fuck the other divisions were working on never seen the light of day and FF XVI is nowhere to be seen while this gen is almost over.

Yes, Tabata & squix are gaming gods.

I’m not sure why, but this make think of Mistwalker. It was great at the beginning and they produced some great game but they didn’t find commercial success.
Hopefully, Tabata will be successful.
they seriously fucked up by getting into bed with MS (apparently Sakaguchi had beef with some SONY guys). If their games were multiplat they could have easily been a very formidable JRPG studio right now but Xbox fans just didn't want to buy their games. I doubt Tabata would do the same thing but they are probably in the same position as they were in regards to needing someone to fund them

Top Bottom