• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi |OT| Make War, Not Love

cj_iwakura

aNbdZkk.jpg

esWKppq.png

Warriors of the Shinsengumi is a 3D action game retelling of last year's otome release, Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. If you want less lovey and more fighty, you savage monster, this is the game for you!

J6glJtr.png

After 260 years of samurai rule, the shogunate’s hold on the country began to weaken as men ostensibly loyal to the emperor began to sow chaos and dissent throughout the nation. The Shinsengumi was formed to combat this rising tide of violence, and to protect the shogun and the people from dangerous ronin.

As the country inches close to all-out war, Chizuru travels to Kyoto to find her missing father. She encounters both danger and the Shinsengumi, in quick succession. After learning that the Shinsengumi are also looking for her father, Chizuru goes under their protection. However, they soon find themselves in the midst of political intrigue, supernatural power struggles, and much more as they search desperately for the answer they need.

I4RKOnP.png

YYk6VzW.png

u8mVCnv.png

MZThq2h.png

JwT4ozy.png

More TBA!

(I better be able to play as Chizuru, Akselziys. :( )

18y3d7M.png

DP2Amch.png

Warriors of the Shinsengumi offers two story modes and a skirmish mode. Play and re-live events from Demon of the Fleeting Blossom or change history and see events play out in an alternate universe.

shinsengumi-chronicle-memorial-ss.jpg

Change history as any one of the six main characters in “Shinsengumi Chronicle” mode.

Play in an alternate universe where you control the fate of the Shinsengumi, or step into the shoes of your favorite samurai and play through battles from Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom in Memorial Mode. As one of six main characters, relive Demon of the Fleeting Blossom in action form with cut scenes straight from the anime! Join in on the action as you battle your way through Kyoto in “Shinsengumi Memorial” mode.

Skirmish Mode

skirmish-mode-screenshot.jpg

In this mode, players can replay stages that they’ve passed to level up and get better scores! Unlock two characters, Keisuke Sanan, leader of the “Fury Corps,” and Shinpachi Nagakura, from the series and reign terror upon the enemy masses!

Not only do your characters have awesome combinations, as well as level-ups, enter Fury Mode and unleash your inner demon on your enemies!

fury-mode-screenshot.jpg

When a character’s life is spent, he will enter Fury Mode, unleashing a ferocious killing machine, able to tear down anyone that gets in his way. However, becoming a fury too many times can unlock a particularly bad ending.

kcuPj7o.png

(Coming soon?)

big-bannerqdzz8.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's too bad Valentine's Day is on a Thursday this year, but I doubt this game is going to be more about romance.

This is about Musou!

Tizoc

Will the first game go on sale by any chance? ...and do we still not have a price for this?

frequency

I'm waiting for it to be stocked in Canada. I don't expect it to be for at least another week and probably very limited.

It's getting more and more tempting to just order from Amazon.com if the pre-order bonus is still available...

Does Aksys or retailers or whatever keep track of where sales come from? Like, will it do anything (even a tiny bit) to say "hey people outside the USA want these games too" if I buy from a Canadian retailer instead of importing from Amazon.com?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's getting more and more tempting to just order from Amazon.com if the pre-order bonus is still available...
What's what I ended up doing. Probably not going to get mine until next week.

To be honest, I genuinely hope someone localizes this. You play as a dude and get friend points, but I suspect people might be more receptive to it since it isn't outright an otome game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think everyone has their profiles on the site if cj_iwakura wants to add them. I just resized them to the general size they are in the OP but kinda forgot that some of the other stuff was cropped. Ah well.

TEGBY7i.png

BOTFPwi.png

pyuHw7H.png

gVAgRHH.png

Kinda committed to using the speedier guys right now. Just gotta wait for mine to get here from the US!

Oh, so they did use that pic LOL!

The things they make me do... ;)
I almost fear the other insidious plans/poses they had in mind for you.

frequency

So are any retailers carrying this in Canada, or will I just have to order from Amazon.com?

Amazon.ca has it listed but I'm not sure if they will ever get stock.
FutureShop.ca has it but is "sold out". But I think this is because they haven't gotten their shipment yet - however many copies that is.
BestBuy.ca still has it for pre-order, but only 3 remaining right now.

I wouldn't expect this to actually be in stock anywhere until later this week at the earliest.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I still need to buy Demon of the Fleeting Blossom, but maybe this will be a better intro since it's completely different.

Oh, hi. Will buy two.

Aww, you're too kind ;D

Though the game may spoil parts of the original Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom, just to give you a heads up :)

Rarutos

I'd totally buy this if I had more money. I want to support more PSP physical releases and Aksys. :( I still need to get Ragnarok Tactics too...

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks. I guess I'd better make haste with getting DotFB, then, because this looks like it could be some mindless fun.

Kazerei

Banned
Amazon.ca has it listed but I'm not sure if they will ever get stock.
FutureShop.ca has it but is "sold out". But I think this is because they haven't gotten their shipment yet - however many copies that is.
BestBuy.ca still has it for pre-order, but only 3 remaining right now.

I wouldn't expect this to actually be in stock anywhere until later this week at the earliest.

Thanks. Guess I'll order from BB and hope it goes through *crosses fingers*

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I was searching Hakuoki on PSN and outta nowhere comes a 12 episode anime about it o_O It even has a dub to boot which seems kinda rare! Does anyone know if the animes any good?

I thought I read before there was more to it then that? A new alternate story or something?

There are two modes, Shinsengumi Memorial, which recounts the events of Demon of the Fleeting Blossom, and Shinsengumi Chronicle, which is the new story.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There are two modes, Shinsengumi Memorial, which recounts the events of Demon of the Fleeting Blossom, and Shinsengumi Chronicle, which is the new story.
Oh there we go! Retellings is great an all but I got the original game if I wanna go through that story again. Good ta reconfirm there is new stuff aside from the gameplay!

Noi

Oh, Sanan is playable? That's certainly a surprise, I just figured they'd go for the main guys from the last game and call it a day.

Tizoc

^Hi if you don't mine me asking, any chance the first Hakuoki on PSN will go on sale/get a price drop?

So for those that rememebered to buy the game- How is it and what're your impressions of it?

oni_saru

Waiting on Newegg to ship my copy. Hopefully they get more in stock. I don't even know if they had any to begin with. Did anyone order this on Newegg?

My cheapass skipped out on ordering at Amazon just to save $3. >.< I could have gotten a bandana!! *cries in the rain*

I completely forgot this is a musou type game! :O

To be honest, I genuinely hope someone localizes this. You play as a dude and get friend points, but I suspect people might be more receptive to it since it isn't outright an otome game.

Oh I second this! *o* I just looked it up. Wow!
I'll pretend it's a BL VN game if it's released here :'D

Also I did not know Shinpachi is a playable character in WotS!! Okay I now declare WotS>>>>Fleeting Blossom xD

The gameplay looks really, really bad. Whenever these anime series get knock off Dynasty Warriors games, I always hope they are at least as good as the source material but they are always terrible (outside of the ones actually made by Koei and even then they are hit or miss)

Kazerei

Banned
I just played through Shinsengumi Chronicle twice, as Hijikata and as Saito. Judging from the Extras menu, there's alot of content and unlockables in the game, but the combat is so damn repetitive. Yeah, I know, it's a musou-type game, but there's little variety and not much outside combat to hold everything together. I'll at least play through Shinsengumi Memorial once as Saito. After that, I dunno, I'm already kinda bored of the game.

I do appreciate the game's built-in screenshot function though :)

ZUxSszR.jpg

PyD0FA1.jpg

TIU1P8U.jpg

itMCeKm.jpg

UYEZleU.jpg

Top Bottom