• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 mods (ive never heard of).

rezuth

What the hell... My post is gone?

Edit: Good thing I have a backup, now to figure out which mods was posted before Fortress Forever.

Does anyone play Fortress Forever here?

I haven't played Team Fortress 2 yet nor the original Team Fortress, but this is a really fun game.

I love the rocket launcher and the sniper rifle. :D

rezuth

bigmit3737 said:
Does anyone play Fortress Forever here?

I haven't played Team Fortress 2 yet nor the original Team Fortress, but this is a really fun game.

I love the rocket launcher and the sniper rifle. :D
PM your steamid :)

Draft

Banged out Minerva over the weekend. WOW, what a nicely put together chunk of single player. Some of the combat sections were a little overwhelming in terms of how many enemies get thrown at you, and a lot of the puzzles were confusing, but overall very, very fun.

Rotanibor

Jenga said:
Not a HL2 mod, but PARANOIA came out for HL1 yesterday. From what I've played, it's an amazing HL1 mod. Seriously, it's VERY well made. The amount of detail is very nice.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/4961/paranoia/news/24702/paranoia-is-released

From what I've read on moddb and the steam forums apparently installing this will screw up your VAC cheat thing and ban you from Half-Life 1 multiplayer games. Apparently deleteling a modified opengl32.dll file will fix the problem though. Just giving you guys a heads up.

edit: On doing a search of the system it seems to be not a half-life but a windows system file? Ehh I don't know if I want to bother dealing with it this mod at this point if thats the case.
edit2:eek:kay nevermind i was wrong it apparently installs it to the half-life folder and you only have to remove it from there. I'll probably end up playing later then.

Rotanibor Eht said:
From what I've read on moddb and the steam forums apparently installing this will screw up your VAC cheat thing and ban you from Half-Life 1 multiplayer games. Apparently deleteling a modified opengl32.dll file will fix the problem though. Just giving you guys a heads up.

edit: On doing a search of the system it seems to be not a half-life but a windows system file? Ehh I don't know if I want to bother dealing with it this mod at this point if thats the case.
edit2:eek:kay nevermind i was wrong it apparently installs it to the half-life folder and you only have to remove it from there. I'll probably end up playing later then.

I am so confused by what your wrote...:lol

Rotanibor

bigmit3737 said:
I am so confused by what your wrote...:lol

Haha sorry. Let me make it clearer.
Basically the Half-Life 1 mod, Paranoia, was just released. This mod installs an extra .dll file called opengl32.dll to your Half-Life directory that lets the mod do some other graphical effects not usually avalible on the Half-Life engine. The problem is, if you try to play on a VAC enabled Half-Life server with that .dll file in your HL directory, it will flag your account as a cheater and you will be banned from VAC servers.

You can get around that by deleting the opengl32.dll file before going into a multiplayer game. If its not in the Half-Life folder you are clear to log online. Its all a shame really because this is supposed to be quite the quality singleplayer mod.

Okay let me know if I was unclear anywhere here also. :lol

Rotanibor Eht said:
Haha sorry. Let me make it clearer.
Basically the Half-Life 1 mod, Paranoia, was just released. This mod installs an extra .dll file called opengl32.dll to your Half-Life directory that lets the mod do some other graphical effects not usually avalible on the Half-Life engine. The problem is, if you try to play on a VAC enabled Half-Life server with that .dll file in your HL directory, it will flag your account as a cheater and you will be banned from VAC servers.

You can get around that by deleting the opengl32.dll file before going into a multiplayer game. If its not in the Half-Life folder you are clear to log online. Its all a shame really because this is supposed to be quite the quality singleplayer mod.

Okay let me know if I was unclear anywhere here also. :lol

Thanks for the rewrite. So pretty much, beat the mod before going online right?
And no wonder this game looks like something that's more powerful the than Half life 1 Engine.

What happened to those people that were banned? I hope they are given a second chance.

Rotanibor

Well I went looking around a bit more. There seems to have been a bit of confusion on whether or not you would get banned from playing on VAC servers, or just prevented from playing on them while you have that .dll in your folder. I'm reading now, some people are reporting that all they had to do was remove the file. I personally still would not risk it but that seems like good news.

Everdred

This is a great thread, my computer blows right now and I have to play everything on min settings, but I'll be getting a new PC in a few weeks can't wait to try these out.

Rotanibor Eht said:
If you guys are curious which mods have actual playerbases on them, I just came across this page

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats

click on "View detailed statistics by game" and it will show a list detailing each mod and how many players/servers are currently online.

This page right here also has the same idea.

http://www.sourcemod.net/newstats.php

Sweet, nice Find.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=US

The amount of people playing the original CS compared to Source CS is just staggering.

Daigoro

whoo, this thread turned out pretty fine. thanks for the effort folks!

Rotanibor Eht said:
If you guys are curious which mods have actual playerbases on them, I just came across this page

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats

click on "View detailed statistics by game" and it will show a list detailing each mod and how many players/servers are currently online.

This page right here also has the same idea.

http://www.sourcemod.net/newstats.php

thats a great find. thanks.

MedievalManIII said:
Now that Synergy is out of beta, I must play it. I loved Sven Co-op and hopefully, this will be as good.

Tried it out. Personally, the added maps lack polish and I found it boring.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
rezuth said:
*A FUCKTON of mods*

Rezuth, a humble and sincere thank you for posting these mods. I am tempted to dl a few of them but after playing HL2, EP1&2 and now, in the midst of HL1:Source, I think I might be ready to move on from the whole HL franchise and try out other games. Looking at that list is going to make it hard though. I'll probably play Minerva a one or two else but I dunno yet.

I wonder....and perhaps you can weigh in with your opinion here....which first person shooter has the best single player mods period? Does Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, COD2/COD4, any of the Rainbow 6 games, or STALKER have SP mods on the same level as this?

What about Half-Life 1:Source? Does it contain more quality mods than the ones you've listed above?

Or is HL2 the cream of the crop?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Do any of these mods have health regen?

Also which game has better single player mods....HL1 or HL2 and why?

Wark

rezuth said:
theway01-full.jpg

Seaman: Source?

This may seem like an odd question, but has there been any HL2 mod that just lets you explore a deserted city similar to, say, City17? Not necessarily an FPS.

Half-Life 1 probably has better singleplayer mods because there's a greater volume of them. Whether or not they are fun, mind you, is a different story - but there's a very large number of decent HL1 mods out there:

- They Hunger
This was the magnum opus of Half-Life mods back in the day. Many people consider it to be better than Half-Life itself. However, there's a bug that keeps you from completing episode 2 and I'm unsure if it's been patched yet. Currently, the author of They Hunter is working on a source version (with intent to sell at retail) called They Hunger: Lost Souls.

- Paranoia
Ah, the russians. Being more dedicated to modding crazy features in to the Half-Life engine, Paranoia is a treasure trove of effects including bump mapping, specular highlighting, and more. That's not to say it's just a pretty face, though, as once you muscle your way past Paranoia's rather slow start, it descends into a wonderfully atmospheric (and surprisingly lengthy) singleplayer campaign. As long as you aren't too adverse to reading subtitles (all dialog is in Russian) and have the technological know-how to delete the custom opengl32.dll it installs in your Half-Life directory after you've beaten the game (otherwise it messes up online games that use the HL1 engine), Paranoia is a fantastic play.

- Poke646
One of the many, many, many mods to crop up between the release of HL1 and HL2, detailing the events following the Black Mesa Incident. The shit has once again hit the fan and you're the only one who can do anything about it. Despite the rather tired premise, this mod is of very, very high quality. That quality comes at a price, however - it's also pretty short.

- Afraid of Monsters: Directors Cut
An enhanced and extended version of the original Afraid of Monsters, this mod is probably about the scariest thing you'll ever play - if you can figure out the intricate puzzles leading to the next area. Imagine Silent Hill meets Condemed in the Half-Life engine and you have a rough idea what Afraid of Monsters plays like. I can't recommend this mod enough.

- Mistake
Another survival horror mod like Afraid of Monsters, but not quite as difficult and not quite as long. They appear to be taking an episodic approach to things, and episode 1 is out now. I enjoyed it, and it has some great atmosphere, but as far as great mods go, this one is merely "decent enough".

- Azure Sheep
Forget Blue Shift. Azure Sheep retells the story of Barney Calhoun with the style and finesse GearBox and Valve only wish they had used in Blue Shift. Though a little cheeseball at times (but it's okay, Azure Sheep clearly does not take itself seriously) and somewhat lacking in originality (it contains new enemies but most of them are just reskinned versions of current enemies made "harder"), this is still a great mod.

- Ispitatel 4: Classic
More russian fun, Ispitatel 4 puts you in to Black Mesa... but where this mod stands alone is it's decidedly comedic atmosphere. Most notable of which are moments where you are sprayed with hallucinogenic gas and must find your way through some truly bizarre environments as you slowly regain sanity.

- Heart of Evil
A lot of people swear by this mod, but I never got it in to it. Still, rather than be descriminitating, I will list it here anyway. You play as a soldier in the Vietnam War. Though the bloodbath you face is pretty routine, eventually you learn your Sargent is hiding a terrible secret.

- Blended Half-Life Mods
Blended seems to specialize in short but amazingly awesome mods and games. I don't just suggest you check out his HL1 mods, I pretty much demand it. The Puppy Years in particular is so awesome it hurts, and I wish it was longer than it was. If you know what you're doing, The Puppy Years can be finished in as little as 20 minutes, but it may just be the coolest 20 minutes you'll spend in a HL1 Singleplayer Mod.

There are no HL1: Source mods as far as I know, outside of a model pack that replaces all the standard models with their updated Blue Shift counterparts.

isamu

OK here's the deal....

do not...I repeat...DO NOT.....get the Mistake of Pythagoras mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is fun until you get to this one part that I am at now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[SPOILERS BELOW]

When Alex first joins you, you will get the rocket launcher for the first time in the game, as well as your first group of allies that follow you.

After killing some Zombies, some Headcrabs, and a couple of those rotating steel Alien ships, you will come across two large closed doors. Alex will come and open the door via a computer terminal. When the two doors open and you go through, you will see a large circular rotating "Alien ship" with a helicoptor-like propeller at the bottom.

Now, this fucken thing will have you pulling your hair out. It will spawn like 1000 manhacks....then it will spawn yet ANOTHER 1000 or so manhacks....then it will spawn something like a TRILLION head crabs and zombies over...and over....and over....and over again!

There are two rocket ammo crates laying in the corner of the room, so I assume you need to shoot rockets at this damn thing, preferably at the bottom of it where its opening is. But I have shot LITERALLY over 50 rockets at this bitch, and it STILL won't go down!

I am definitely convinced this "enemy" is a glitch in the game, and I am also convinced that anyone who claims they've beaten Mistake of Pythagoras is lying their ass off. Because there is simply NO WAY to kill this dude. Not to mention the RETARDED amount of manhacks/headcrabs/zombies that are constantly coming after you as a result of so much spawning. I've never seen such a poorly designed "enemy" in any FPS ever.

I am done with this mod. If anyone possibly knows how to take this damn rotating cylinder thing down, before getting shitcanned by the gazillion headcrabs/zombies/manhacks I'm all ears.

[END OF SPOILERS]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Until then, I'm looking for another good sp mod for HL2. I've already played Minnerva and it rawqued. What else is out there for single player only?

isamu said:
OK here's the deal....

do not...I repeat...DO NOT.....get the Mistake of Pythagoras mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is fun until you get to this one part that I am at now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[SPOILERS BELOW]

When Alex first joins you, you will get the rocket launcher for the first time in the game, as well as your first group of allies that follow you.

After killing some Zombies, some Headcrabs, and a couple of those rotating steel Alien ships, you will come across two large closed doors. Alex will come and open the door via a computer terminal. When the two doors open and you go through, you will see a large circular rotating "Alien ship" with a helicoptor-like propeller at the bottom.

Now, this fucken thing will have you pulling your hair out. It will spawn like 1000 manhacks....then it will spawn yet ANOTHER 1000 or so manhacks....then it will spawn something like a TRILLION head crabs and zombies over...and over....and over....and over again!

There are two rocket ammo crates laying in the corner of the room, so I assume you need to shoot rockets at this damn thing, preferably at the bottom of it where its opening is. But I have shot LITERALLY over 50 rockets at this bitch, and it STILL won't go down!

I am definitely convinced this "enemy" is a glitch in the game, and I am also convinced that anyone who claims they've beaten Mistake of Pythagoras is lying their ass off. Because there is simply NO WAY to kill this dude. Not to mention the RETARDED amount of manhacks/headcrabs/zombies that are constantly coming after you as a result of so much spawning. I've never seen such a poorly designed "enemy" in any FPS ever.

I am done with this mod. If anyone possibly knows how to take this damn rotating cylinder thing down, before getting shitcanned by the gazillion headcrabs/zombies/manhacks I'm all ears.

[END OF SPOILERS]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Until then, I'm looking for another good sp mod for HL2. I've already played Minnerva and it rawqued. What else is out there for single player only?

You are mental, dude. MOP is a great mod and you're fighting that boss all wrong. There's a youtube vid that shows exactly where you're supposed to shoot it. It's not that hard since there are big red lights on its weak points.

isamu

akachan ningen said:
You are mental, dude. MOP is a great mod and you're fighting that boss all wrong. There's a youtube vid that shows exactly where you're supposed to shoot it. It's not that hard since there are big red lights on its weak points.

You're referring to the red lights inside the cylinder? IIRC I shot rockets at that and it still didn't go down. Can you please post a link to that youtube vid?

The M.O.B

If your looking for a good multiplayer mod, then I HIGHLY recommend Pirates,Vikings and Knights II. It sounds dumb but I have put a good 20 hours into the beta 2.0, It's the best multiplayer mod for me personally.

Another thing, im making a short SP mod titled Aliens VS Predator Source, its only gonna be 1 level but it should have some awesome gameplay to it.

SMOD: Sci-Fi
http://www.amphibian.myzen.co.uk/css_sci_fi/

CSS SCI FI is a single-player mod for Half-Life 2. Using the latest version of SMOD, which is included, the mod puts the player through 27 intense combat missions set in Counter-Strike: Source maps. Each map contains a unique scripted scenario which is enhanced by random scripting so that the game is never the same twice. Players will fight everything from Striders to slave Vortigaunts, plus a range of Combine enemies armed with many new weapons.

Iris the Game
http://tomsweb.dk/Projekter/Irisengl...2/Default.aspx

The game is an adventure game in which you control a woman in a world where something is totally wrong. Our heroine has a special ability that allows her to jump back to her childhood. In order to solve the main mystery you will have to explore this special ability to solve a number of puzzles.

I can recommend these two. Iris is a nce little puzzle game that does something different.

SMOD is amazing, the Scifi one features a bunch of useless maps and scenarios, but everyone should download for the remix it gives to single-player. FEAR style slowmo, Duke Nukem style kick, weapons from DoD and CS:S, edible gibs, customisable ragdoll, new weapons and harder and more numerous enemies. It's great fun just to put in impulse 101 and have a quick razz through 15 minutes at a time.

Download it for the stuff launcher alone.

isamu

akachan ningen said:

Well akachan ningen, all I can say is that I apologize for doubting you. I did not think it was possible to defeat that thing, and doubted your strategy to shoot the red lights. Seems I was aiming for the dead center of the inner cylinder and not the lights.

Y'know akachan ningen, you could have easily ignored my request to post a link to the youtube vid, but instead you went out of your way to look it up and post it. And for that, I am grateful my friend. Thanks a bunch dude :)

Mooreberg

Awakening and Offshore are very good. Offshore just came out recently, it requires EP2 since it uses some of the new assets they added to that.

bee

Mooreberg said:
Awakening and Offshore are very good. Offshore just came out recently, it requires EP2 since it uses some of the new assets they added to that.

nice, definetely never played either of these two, will give them a go later

Paranoia is very slow to start. The first two or three hours of the game is spent dicking around bootcamp and your first (very mundane) mission shooting terrorists. However, once it kicks in and starts doing the horror stuff... it has fantastic, very tense atmosphere and really pushes the Half-Life engine to places you wouldn't expect it to go.

I had some trouble setting the mod up to run, though. It uses a hacked opengl32.dll (in order to support normal mapping and all the other effects it uses), which can get you in deep shit if you use it online. If you join a server online for a HL1 game/mod while you still Paranoia installed, VERC will think you are cheating and you'll get banned (illegal DLL modication, regardless of function, is not tolerated). So if you do choose to play it, when you uninstall it, make sure you get rid of the custom opengl dll it installs.

I also had to futz around with video settings a bit (had to turn my Z-Buffer depth up on my video card to get the flashlight to display properly).

Davidion

Sega1991 said:
- Poke646
One of the many, many, many mods to crop up between the release of HL1 and HL2, detailing the events following the Black Mesa Incident. The shit has once again hit the fan and you're the only one who can do anything about it. Despite the rather tired premise, this mod is of very, very high quality. That quality comes at a price, however - it's also pretty short.

This was a tremendous SP mod. Production values were excellent and the game was paced and designed very well.

Didn't realize that there's a source version, good to know!

rezuth said:
PM your steamid :)

Do you still play Fortress Forever? I've grabbed it but haven't played it at all, would love to give it a shot.

Sega1991 said:
Paranoia is very slow to start. The first two or three hours of the game is spent dicking around bootcamp and your first (very mundane) mission shooting terrorists. However, once it kicks in and starts doing the horror stuff... it has fantastic, very tense atmosphere and really pushes the Half-Life engine to places you wouldn't expect it to go.

I had some trouble setting the mod up to run, though. It uses a hacked opengl32.dll (in order to support normal mapping and all the other effects it uses), which can get you in deep shit if you use it online. If you join a server online for a HL1 game/mod while you still Paranoia installed, VERC will think you are cheating and you'll get banned (illegal DLL modication, regardless of function, is not tolerated). So if you do choose to play it, when you uninstall it, make sure you get rid of the custom opengl dll it installs.

I also had to futz around with video settings a bit (had to turn my Z-Buffer depth up on my video card to get the flashlight to display properly).
Awesome, time to dig up the old cds then...if I still have them that is

Top Bottom