• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 to go gold within days....

DSN2K

According to recent conversations we've had with Valve's Doug Lombardi, Half-Life 2 will be passed on to publisher Vivendi for final mastering and duplication within days for it's early August target. The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September.

link

good times for PC gamers. :)

And they're off!

10.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
segasonic said:
woohoo, HL2 and Doom 3 within few weeks

time to upgrade my graphics card :rock

The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

epmode

omg. i'm disgustingly excited for this game.

wish comp usa would send me my x800 before it's released, though. i'm already resigned to the fact that i'm going to miss the doom 3 launch.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
how is it about to go gold when CS:Source is shipping WITH half-life 2, and CS goes into public beta testing... ummm starting next week.

Wishful thinking? You got it!

Drexon

Banned
Crap, the DAY after I spend $50 on _crap_ after saving for months I hear this. ~_~ *weep* Oh well, back to harvesting my gaming collection.

My "optimistic" date was right. As soon as all the B.S. started being spun last October, I dropped all interest in the game knowing that best case scenario was fall 2004. Hopefully this article is right.

That said, Counter-Strike went "Gold" last fall and didn't ship until well into 2004. So Valve and Gold doesn't mean a whole lot. When it hits shelves, I'll be pumped.

Belfast

Just doubled my RAM for Doom 3. Also, Far Cry runs flawlessly on max settings for me now, so I think I'm just about set. :)

As interesting as Doom 3 sounds, I'm just not sold on the idea of it yet. HL2 at least has shown the goods in video form.

My only concern right now is the Special Edition - namely what the hell will be in it. EBgames has a rather scary $110+ price tag for it right now.

Hooker

Where do you get this shit?!

They're still bug-hunting. Estimated time of 0 bugs is something like 7 days now. That will be the first RC. That one will be send to Vivendi and if they approve it it will go to the manufacturing plant. Half-Life 1 got approved in one try, I hope this one does as well. Because otherwise we would have to wait a few weeks more, depending on what needs improving according to Vivendi.

Also, don't forget that the CS:S BETA ends like August 24th. There will be new bugs due to new hardware configurations of the people testing it. Not even all the content is ready for CS:S. Mainly the maps, balancing and models.

Like I've said last year, this game will be in stores September 30th, just 1 year after my initial guess.

Crazymoogle said:
As interesting as Doom 3 sounds, I'm just not sold on the idea of it yet. HL2 at least has shown the goods in video form.

My only concern right now is the Special Edition - namely what the hell will be in it. EBgames has a rather scary $110+ price tag for it right now.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp

Actually it's 79.99. Last year when ol' Gabe was talking about ghetto version and version that supports mods, I thought the non-mod version would be a Walmart friendly pricing scheme. Guess not:( 49.99 for HL2, 79.99 if you want mods? I guess I'm gonna have to make a real decision (Seeing as I never got into any of the HL mods).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
isn't it 59.99 regular 79.99 if you want MOD TOOLS? and not necessarily the ability to play mods?

Well last year he was touting how they were gonna have a basic edition for people who just wanted to play Half-Life 2 and then a deluxe edition for people who wanted to play the user mods (So people who weren't going online wouldn't have to pay as much). Unless something has changed, I'm bracing for this to be the case. Just visited Best Buy and they sell the 49.99 edition and it says No for online play. You could say that's incompetence by the webmaster, and possibly is, but CS: Condition Zero has Yes for online play. Something tells me the source version of CS, HL1, etc are a large part of the "Special Editions."

Hooker

HL2 will have 3 versions. Slim, normal and deluxe.

Slim is the single player game without a multiplayer option. Nothing has been said about not being able to play mods IIRC

The normal one does everything you expect from it and the deluxe will probably have an extra DVD with stuff, keychain, t-shirt of whatever. They haven't said anything about what th extra contents will be.

They also haven't said anything about prices. And VALVe isn't the dumbest company around, so I doubt they will pull an iD and lets us charge more than 50 bucks for the normal version of the game...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nostrodamus says :

OH NOES , TEH MASTER DISK HAS BEEN TEH STOLEN AND WE HAVE NO BACK UPS!
HALF LIFE 2 DELAYED UNTIL 2005 SEPTEMBER. DEMO RELEASED TO APPEASE FANS, GAME IN SAME STATE AS THE LEAKED BETA.

Things change in a year, but I googled this and linked the 1st story I found:

"The three different Half-Life 2 packages planned for shop shelves will consist of a single-player-only version that would come minus multiplayer mode and any kind of mod support, a version that includes both single-player and multiplayer (which would feature mod support), and finally a collectors edition that will include unannounced bonus material. [Is it that hard just to release one pack with everything in it? - Ed.]"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=95833

Edit: Freaking CVG. Can't link directly I see.

Top Bottom