• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Half-Life 3" on Valves bug tracker confirms HL3 is in dev (46dev), L4D3 hits 71 devs

S0N0S

We've seen leaked concept art before and HL2: Ep 3 at some point existed in some nebulous, announced as in-development state. Valve now official calling the next game Half-Life 3, though? Holy shit, this is really happening.

Sibylus

Banned
I miss single-player Valve. : /

Whatever Half-Life 3 is, I bet it has an online component built in to the main game.
I'm hoping it's something crazy like allowing people on your friendlist to populate your combat scenarios as non-speaking NPCs, though it would require a crazy amount of work.

Coldsun

Banned
We've seen leaked concept art before and HL2: Ep 3 at some point existed in some nebulous, announced as in-development state. Valve now official calling the next game Half-Life 3, though? Holy shit, this is really happening.

Its been known for ages, like 3-5 years that Episode 3 was canned and that they were going to go full HL3. It may of even been Gabe himself who stated the episodic content model failed.

I'm not going to say that this is 100% true, but it's likely true that I've played the Half Life games more than anybody else here. But even I dont care anymore. The story has lost all of it's momentum. It's been too long.

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
Well if they started just now then we should see the game in the next 3-4 years. That's right around the corner.

Just because they just trademarked it today does not mean they just started it. I believe someone at Valve said they've been working on HL3 for a long time, but they keep scrapping things and starting over from scratch. I'm still skeptical that we'll see it anytime soon though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC pls come in here and kill this

pls

It's likely still in the earlier stages of development given that there's only now a second group. For comparison, L4D3 had three back in June:

EAj58iI.png

Is it happening? Sure. Are you going to see it any time soon? Outlook not so good. ;)

Orayn

I have to agree. This game has most likely been in development the whole time in one form or another.

And I'd be willing to bet that those forms are the reason for its development being kept so quiet. They don't want people to get expectations whiplash.

Mikey Jr.

Indeed. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure Valve would want to sell as many copies of Half-Life 3 as they possibly could. They can't do that by making it SteamOS exclusive. That'd be really stupid.

I wonder what is more important to Valve.

Selling Half Life 3 to substantially more people, or the adoption of their OS?

Orayn

I wonder what is more important to Valve.

Selling Half Life 3 to substantially more people, or the adoption of their OS?

And it's not like they have to choose strictly one or the other, since Half-Life 3 would make a killer pack-in game for the first wave of Steam Machines.

Jaded

Banned
My guess is that if steamOS and Steam console does come out in late 2014 either L4D3 or HL3 will launch with it no doubt, so the earliest we will see anything on these games is sometime next year, i doubt HL3 is still years away from it's debut though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, uh, did anyone check any of the other entries before they killed the site? Like, how big are the teams for Dota and TF2 now.

dzelly

Those are pretty decent sized development teams. How far does GAF reckon this thing is into production? I don't think there's any way it can be a launch title for the Steam Machines, can it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
iwtamWHaZC8DS.gif

I never lost faith Gaben

I previously believed there'd be no way the game would miss HL2's 10th birthday, but given events that have transpired this year I'd wager it's a Q4 2015 title at the earliest.

Those are pretty decent sized development teams. How far does GAF reckon this thing is into production? I don't think there's any way it can be a launch title for the Steam Machines, can it?

It's presumably far behind L4D3, which seems to be in all-hands-on-deck mode at this juncture as Portal 2's team maxed out at around 80 people -- Q4 2014 is looking like a shoe-in for Source 2's debut.

Luthos

I'm not going to say that this is 100% true, but it's likely true that I've played the Half Life games more than anybody else here. But even I dont care anymore. The story has lost all of it's momentum. It's been too long.

Even if you have played the Half-Life games more than anyone else, that doesn't give your opinion any more validity.

I mean I know that there are people who just jump on the "HL3 Confirmed" & "Praise Gaben" meme bandwagon when shit like this pops up. But there are still plenty of Half-Life fans who are legitimately anticipating the next game.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Did anyone get a list of the other groups at Valve? Wonder if we could get some insight into secret Doug Church or Clint Hocking projects.

Valve aren't really going to care about adoption of SteamOS. SteamOS is just a tool to drive adoption of Steam.

Actually, SteamOS is the endgame of Steam. Valve's very existence as a digital distributor banks on the success of SteamOS. I don't understand how people are still oblivious to this fact. With Microsoft going down a devices and services path, Windows' days as a relatively open platform are ending. SteamOS is literally do-or-die for Valve.

FatBaby

It's likely still in the earlier stages of development given that there's only now a second group. For comparison, L4D3 had three back in June:

Is it happening? Sure. Are you going to see it any time soon? Outlook not so good. ;)

Kelly Bailey? I thought he left Valve years ago. Did I miss something?

Snaku

Banned
Valve aren't really going to care about adoption of SteamOS. SteamOS is just a tool to drive adoption of Steam.

They're passed the problem of Steam adoption, that matter was practically settled when HL2 hit. Valve's new goal is getting Steam in the living room, and they need SteamOS to do it. They're not going to worry about PC gamers, they're technologically savvy enough to know how to install SteamOS on a separate partition. HL3 is going to be the Trojan horse that drives SteamOS adoption.

Sibylus

Banned
Kelly Bailey? I thought he left Valve years ago. Did I miss something?
He did to work on his own small game projects, but bear in mind that there's little technical difficulty in taking him on to do HL3's music (assuming he's interested). He's probably one of the few original team members that doesn't need a computer and a desk at Valve to still produce content.

Lingitiz

As exciting as Half Life 3 is, Source 2 is what has me really hyped. Modders are gonna come out with some really cool shit.

FatBaby

He did to work on his own small game projects, but bear in mind that there's little technical difficulty in taking him on to do HL3's music (assuming he's interested). He's probably one of the few original team members that doesn't need a computer and a desk at Valve to still produce content.

I suppose so.

Grief.exe

They're passed the problem of Steam adoption, that matter was practically settled when HL2 hit. Valve's new goal is getting Steam in the living room, and they need SteamOS to do it. They're not going to worry about PC gamers, they're technologically savvy enough to know how to install SteamOS on a separate partition. HL3 is going to be the Trojan horse that drives SteamOS adoption.

I think people who continue to trumpet this opinion are going to be eating crow.

so trademarks, rather than copyrights, eventually have to be used by the company who filed them right? wonder how long they have to put it out

Lingitiz

I think people who continue to trumpet this opinion are going to be eating crow.

Valve games probably bring enough people to Steam as it is without being exclusive. Considering some part of HL3 will probably be service based, it's reasonable to expect them to have enough PC/SteamOS exclusive features just as a result of it being an open platform.

Branduil

HL3 is not going to be SteamOS exclusive. It's absurd to even suggest.

The whole point of SteamOS is to provide more options, not force gamers to install a new OS.

Top Bottom