• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx vs. Death Stranding

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 147 52.9%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 131 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

lPZQ9jk.jpg

BootsLoader

Banned
1+ Death stranding by far. Kojima innovated in many aspects with this game. Excellent presentation. Intense story. Stole my heart.

Alyx innovated in theVR scene and is a very good game. But that is all.

Gamerasi

Alyx was a complete disappointment for me, I don't want to continue the game. Fps game has turned into a puzzle game. Death Stranding's atmosphere impressed me very much. Especially the pleasure of setting up the zipline net and browsing was very good..

Played both, so I voted for the obvious winner, Alyx. I speculate there are a bunch of fanboys that would hate to see death stranding get beat by the superior game.

MDSLKTR

HL:A is everything I wanted from Valve, tears of joy from seeing that they still have it.
DS is the complete opposite, that's why the whole cast ingame cries except kojimbo himself.

supernova8

Banned
HL:A is everything I wanted from Valve, tears of joy from seeing that they still have it.
DS is the complete opposite, that's why the whole cast ingame cries except kojimbo himself.

Kojima is a complete wacko but maybe Sony will eventually buy the rights to Metal Gear Solid and give it straight to Kojima on the condition he joins them as first party.

He would probably accept since they've shown they'll let him run wild.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Both were absolutely amazing. Alyx was the best vr experience by far but it's mechanics are pretty simple as a game and it's not very replayable. The story is also very simple and the game kinda just sets next real half-life.
I did cried when I reached the ending. it was everything I did not knew I wanted from spin off half-life game.
Death Stranding is extremely creative, innovative and has fantastic gameplay(not just walking sim). And the walking is super fun, complex and relaxing. I am looking forward to replaying it. I will also replay alyx wirelessly on Quest.
This vote goes to Death Stranding for me. Incredible game and absolutely meet and exceeded the expectations

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: GHG

ethomaz

Banned
Not even comparable.

Death Stranding is one of best games I ever played.

It is a game like games should be focused in and new and innovative gameplay... plus it is super polished giving you that addictive vibe to want to play for hours every day.

It is the best game Kojima ever made... it really make sure to show how videogames are suppose to be.

Last edited:

GrayChild

The one which managed to push the industry forward without being an overly pretentious borefest consisting of mostly fetch quests.

Also, the only AAA FPS in the last 13 years which was not compromised by underpowered hardware.

Last edited:
Not even comparable.

It is a game like games should be focused in and new and innovative gameplay... plus it is super polished giving you that addictive vibe to want to play for hours every day.

It is the best game Kojima ever made... it really make sure to show how videogames are suppose to be.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not even comparable.

And somehow it all plays great, is relaxing and immersive at the same time.
Most impressive is how Kojima implemented the online stuff. The way You spam the like button after reaching a shelter... Kojima made the like button feel good. In 2019-2020 when I hate social media. how. lol

Alyx pushed vr but once we get more games like this, Alyx will not be worth returning to. You just walk through few rooms, kill barely few enemies and experience a short, simple story... and I was still glued to my vr for 10 hours straight and cried at the end. Both great games

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Alyx is overrated, but the Half Life brand is so big that a lot of new players started with it and got the wow moment.

So big, that after all the years of fans clamoring for a follow-up, thy lock it into the VR niche so they can shift hardware. Cos GabeN cares so much...

Alyx is barely a game but whatever. Half-Life people are just something else.
Half Life is one of the most important games ever made, not just in the FPS space but in games in general as it helped make Valve what it is today (THE go to place for games on PC).

Death Stranding was a step back in most ways for Kojima personally. MGS is one of my favorite series of all time, and I adore Policenauts/Snatcher/ZOE. Death Stranding I enjoyed but got bored quickly a couple hours into what is like a 40 hour game.

So big, that after all the years of fans clamoring for a follow-up, thy lock it into the VR niche so they can shift hardware. Cos GabeN cares so much...
I think that they tried to develop HL3 but they failed and it was never announced. I have heard that people at Valve were scared by the HL ip while Alyx was still in development

Last edited:

oriis

Neo Member
Half-life Alyx.
The most memorable gaming experience I have ever had, and I fear I won't get to have another one like this in a very very long time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta give it to Alyx, but I loved Death Stranding, too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Alyx is the better game, and the more significant one and more impactful to me. DS is great though.

Half-Life: Alyx is a tech demo and shouldn't even be in this list.
This is a pure nonsense statement. It's as long, ambitious, and good as the other games in the series.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I think thaty they tried to develop HL3 but theyy failed and it was never announced. I have heard that people at Valve where scared by the HL ip while Alyx was still in development
There is nothing to think, because people in Valve are open about what they worked (and why it was shelved) after Portal 2.
You can read more there:

Top Bottom