• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Designing the Prometheans (AKA Early prototypes that are way more interesting)

This was posted in the Halo OT, but I figured it deserved more exposure. Huge thanks to Postmortem for sharing the pictures and writing this. This info comes from GDC, but the panel was never made public, and the other summaries did not include as much information and pictures.

Hello all.

So a few of you may remember that I attended GDC this year. Well, I took some videos, pictures, and notes from the various talks I attended, and now that it's been a while and "The Design of New Enemies for Halo 4" panel hasn't been released anywhere except the GDCVault, I figured I'd throw some of the interesting stuff I saw/heard your way. I know there's a few other summaries floating around, and you guys can probably dig some interesting tidbits out of those, but for now this is everything that I found to be noteworthy during the talk. You can find the other summaries by doing a quick google search for the name of the presentation.

But overall, I thought this was an amazing insight into the development of these enemies, and I was very happy with how up front and honest Scott Warner was about what they felt they did right, and what could have been done much better.

Hopefully you guys will find this as interesting as I did.

photo1jh.jpg

Warner stated that the Prometheans were initially heavily inspired by Voltron from Voltron: Defender of the Universe, the T-1000 from Terminator 2, the titular creature from The Thing, and Cranium Rats from Planescape. What the team was particularly attracted to was the modular behavior of all of these examples, how together they create one dynamic, while when separated they form an entirely different one. From an early point, they had 6 characters, based on a chess analogy of a King, Queen, Rook, Knight, Bishop, and Pawn. For the sake of scheduling and focus, they ultimately stripped this down to just the three that made it into the game, but Warner said that the other three may come back at some point. The Pawns became the Crawlers, and the Bishop eventually became the Watcher.

photo4rj.JPG

They started experimenting with this idea in a gameplay sandbox, testing out elements of that dynamic such as the Watcher, which at this early stage was referred to as the "Bicycle Helmet" because of its more smoothed out, sentinel-based shape. Here, you can see it shielding a Halo 3 Brute with an early hardlight shield. At this point, the Watcher was a much more formidable enemy, having alternate attacks such as the "Junk Attack", in which it would use objects in the environment as makeshift projectile weapons. Ultimately, many of these abilities were cut for comprehensibility during gameplay.

After the presentation, I asked a few questions I had written down:

"Why does the Watcher have a face?"
"Why is the Watcher the only Promethean unit that speaks?"

He responded by saying that the Watcher was designed to also carry the impression of an imprisoned soul, as it is a part of the same Knight unit. In essence, the Watcher and the Knight represent one imprisoned soul, with portions of it split off as the Watcher separates from the Knight's carapace. So the face was incorporated to provoke some sympathy in the overall Promethean embodiment of the digitized individuals.

The Watcher talks specifically when it is flying high above the battlefield, and this is supposed to indicate when the Knight has a tactical advantage over the player, as the Watcher is relaying enemy locations and battlefield observations to the Knight on the fly.

photo9c.jpg

The Prometheans' gameplay systems were more or less entirely implemented as a prototype before any story elements had been determined. At this early stage, the Knights could collapse into a ball to move about quickly between cover points in the environment. Additionally, a dismemberment system was implemented to provide player feedback on the extent of damage being done to the Knights (similar to damage dealt to Halo vehicles, but with limbs falling off and effecting gameplay).

photo6it.jpg

photo5ij.jpg

As the story expanded, the writers and designers determined that they wanted the Knights to be very similar to the Forerunner equivalent of the Army of the Dead or Ringwraiths from Lord of the Rings, embodying this feeling of an imprisoned and tormented soul.

photo2mnx.jpg

After this backstory was determined, only a few minor changes were made to the design of the Knight to reflect this, but for the most part the visual design was left the same. When I asked Warner about the Knight's glowing skulls and whether or not this was intended to be Forerunner or human, he responded by saying it represented both, and was generally intended to convey the image of these trapped and tortured souls, as well as serving the gameplay to highlight head shots.

As for the Pawns, early on it was determined that nobody wanted to implement bipedal Pawn units, and so various other alternatives were explored.

photo3hl.JPG

Eventually, it was narrowed down to a smaller set of designs, which then became the dog/insect inspired Crawlers that we see in the game now.

photo8iu.jpg

At the end of the presentation, Mr. Warner highlighted what he felt was not properly executed in the design of the Prometheans (I did not get a picture of the slide showcasing what the team felt was done right). I think for the most part, this covers nearly all of the complaints that fans have had as well. Here's hoping that the Prometheans will be that much better in future installments because of this awareness! :)

photo7v.jpg

Early gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDt478MNLo

Source: http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1180242

Those Prometheans look a lot more fun and interesting to fight than what they ended up being. Hopefully 343 changes them up with Halo 5.

Ultimately all of 343's design choices have been boiling down to "we captured lightning in a bottle but want to be not Bungie, so we scrapped it."

Yea I didn't like the designs either, and it was a huge part of me not loving H4.
The weapon reloads were cool though haha. To me it was like Halo 4 was a good shooter just not a good enough Halo game to the level of its predecessors.

sakipon

Interesting... Except for the transforming into a ball part. I suppose I'd have to see their vision in motion, but when put like that it sounds comical in a very bad way.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This games development was a total clusterfuck. Despite so much talent being involved it just seems like no-one had any idea what they were doing beyond "Halo again but prettier".

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I liked it...

Hey, I didn't mind playing it but it was really pretty damn boring in places. All the new enemies were just exercises in tedium. Thats not really what I'd want out of the few opportunities they had to do some fresh stuff (oh and the shitty mech stuff).

Smokey

So basically all of the ideas that 343 scratched were actually better than what was in the final game?

Nice

The Prometheans were the most bland and insipid enemies ever to grace a Halo game.

They brought the whole experience down for me.

First, their weapons are COMPLETELY generic and function just like normal human weapons other than the aesthetics.

Secondly, they were too lazy to develop vehicles for the Prometheans. Come on! That is lame!

Third, ONLY 3 TYPES? WTF? All those people and development time and only 3 enemy types? Could they spare it?

Fourth, the 3 types they did develop were not at all engaging. The Knight felt just like Elites. with a teleport ability. The Watchers were asnnoying and devolved every battle into the same tactics where you always had to destroy them first. The Crawlers were the worst of all and felt like an enen more annoying version of the flood.

They should just drop the Prometheans in the next game. Either that or they need a total overhaul.

Those early designs were way better. We totally got screwed. That's what happens when your game is made by a focus group.

I really still don't understand why a brand like Halo needs focus testing to be honest. I mean it's freaking HALO ! You can replace Master Chief with a goat and it'll still sell tons of copies.

Kajiba

That was cool and interesting. Early prometheans movements in that video remind me of the flood for some reason =\.

Maybe its that claw swiping animation or something.

"We settled on making the Prometheans as boring and bullet-spongy as possible, as we were tired of the great visual-audio feedback the previous Halo achieved"

lol didn't realize how many people didn't like Halo 4. Halo 4 is still the only Halo where I bothered finishing the campaign and a large reason why was the new enemies. haha..the environments also felt/looked much better than anything Bungie put out there. Different strokes, I suppose.

hwalker84

lol didn't realize how many people didn't like Halo 4. Halo 4 is still the only Halo where I bothered finishing the campaign and a large reason why was the new enemies. haha..the environments also felt/looked much better than anything Bungie put out there. Different strokes, I suppose.

It's Neogaf. Every multi million dollar seller has a massive amount of haters.

It's Neogaf. Every multi million dollar seller has a massive amount of haters.

When a game that sells over 5 million copies can't get more than 25,000 players online at once 6 months after launch, it's safe to say the game has bigger problems than haters on NeoGAF.

wwm0nkey

When a game that sells over 5 million copies can't get more than 25,000 players online at once 6 months after launch, it's safe to say the game has bigger problems than haters on NeoGAF.

Yeah its getting pretty bad, player base dropped like a rock and not even the 2nd half of spartan ops got people coming back.

Fezan

Microsoft forgets some time that building studio from the scratch is very hard specially a big one like 343 no matter how much talent you cram into it . In early stages there is a huge gap of communication, understanding and motivation. this is why most publishers buy studio.

Still it good that they 343 somewhat delivered

To be fair, Halo 4's campaign is my favorite Halo campaign by far, but it is my least played online of any of the Halo's. I couldn't tell you why either because I actually had a lot of fun with it online. I just didn't feel like playing it for some reason..

Dipswitch

I thought they were terrible antagonists. Bullet sponges and dull as dishwater. And the watcher is the most annoying enemy in the Halo series to fight. Yes, even worse than the bugger.

There, I said it.

Seriously, the early designs were a lot better. Im not a fan of the hunchback/transformer look, but the human face was really interesting. Much more Forerunner.. Early weapons looked more Forerunner and unique also.

I honestly don't understand why they went the direction they did with many of the enemies and weapons.

iHEquehFIMktt.gif

Now THIS is something I would have loved to see.

Fully agreed. Such an interesting design, very Forerunner yet very unique. They talked about how they didn't want the Knights to look like monsters or robots, yet they looked like a monster driving a robot. I seriously hate the design of the Knight.. nothing about it looks Forerunner... it looks like its some sort of Starscream knock off.

Jb

I'm currently replaying the campaign in legendary and yeah, it's fairly obvious the roster of Promethean enemies was supposed to more akin to how many different covenants were in Combat Evolved.

In Halo 4 you get introduced to all 3 new enemy type at the same time, and only one of them presents a new interesting challenge during the combat sandbox.

Prometheans were boring bullet sponge enemies who barely reacted to being shot, and their weapons were ridiculously uninspired conventional weapon facsimiles. But I think everyone already knows that.

daedalius

I enjoyed the campaign, but I think they definitely could have done the Prometheans better; the rolling into a ball would have been far superior to the 'oh my shield are down, I'm teleporting away, by the time you find me they will have recharged'. Also, shooting mechanical limbs off... why would they ever remove that??

Watchers were very 1-dimensional; not sure what they could have done to alter it... perhaps reduced their defensive abilities.

I enjoyed fighting elites again quite a bit more than Prometheans. The early visual designs look better too, at least the 'human face' variety.

Coxswain

Why does every bit of Halo 4 postmortem seem to be some variant of "We had some really cool ideas... And then we did this instead"?

I thought the game was okay until they started talking about all the stuff they decided not to do with it (particularly because the stuff that they went with instead is pretty much exclusively the stuff that I really didn't like about it).

Are there any early story concepts either? Because Halo 4's story completely squandered the entire premise within the first hour of the game just so we could have generic dialogue and Warthogs.

Kajiba

To be fair, Halo 4's campaign is my favorite Halo campaign by far, but it is my least played online of any of the Halo's. I couldn't tell you why either because I actually had a lot of fun with it online. I just didn't feel like playing it for some reason..

Same boat for me. Love the game... Just don't feel like playing the multiplayer.

xbhaskarx

Why does every bit of Halo 4 postmortem seem to be some variant of "We had some really cool ideas... And then we did this instead"?

Because at this point the big budget mainstream videogame industry is all about not taking risks or having original ideas.

Danny 117

Looks very smooth. 60FPS?

I like how they at least acknowledge the faults that are present in the Promethean designs instead of just trying to silence the complainers. And the transparency of the whole evaluation they're doing is beginning to slowly but surely restore my confidence in 343 for Halo 5.

I really want to know if Prometheans had vehicles in early prototypes.. It blows my mind that they added a new faction, yet no new vehicles for the faction. And on top of that, the UNSC lost their flying vehicles in the game (Falcon, Hornet) and were given no replacement.

From what I can recall, the only new vehicle Halo 4 got was the Mantis. I don't really count the Flying ship thingy as it was mostly a setpiece moment and really doesn't interact in the games sandbox. Its too bad the Chopper didn't come back.

VariantX

Welp, its as if they couldn't figure out how to do any of the cool stuff they came up with and just fell back on old tried and true gameplay conventions. Halo 4 was essentially flipping switches: the game.

Top Bottom