• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 development is complete + New Screens (Spoiler)

Yeah, they didn't upgrade the engine at all. They literally fired up CodeWarrior, checked "compile for Xbox 360" then rode grunts around the office for the next 3 years

who has been saying they didn't upgrade their engine at all? we've just been saying that even at the time they came out that previous Bungie 360 games didn't get the same reaction to their graphics that Halo 4 is getting.

see5harp

Bungie made 5 Halos and they never came close to looking this good - or good in general.

Halo looked great at the time. Halo 3 had some incredible lighting regardless of the resolution. They wrote the entire codebase for all of the Halo games, introduced multiplayer theater, great AI, great netcode, etc. I don't think they have anything to be embarassed about.

So, what happened to this?

kW7ap.jpg

2820210-gallery.png

Those new screenshots do not seem to live up to them. I can't find the old gifs at the moment, but they were cleary on another level. What do you guys find impressive about the new footage?

2329440-h4_spops_sniperalley_firstperson_01_copy.jpg

2329441-h4_spops_sniperalley_thirdperson_01_copy.jpg

TheOddOne

Footage looks ok, but can't compare to the theater bullshots. It was passed off as ingame to me in the thread a few months ago and I was skinned alive for doubting that.
Check out the "A Hero Awakens" video. Don't know why you would care about what other people think though, you know you don't have to prove anybody wrong right?

Those definitely capture the spirit of the theater shots much better, yes. It would be nice if the final game had that amazing dof from the theater shots. For the iq we shouldn't delude ourselved, the game will have jaggies, good old 360 is no PC. Same goes for the ground texture on the second shot.

Those definitely capture the spirit of the theater shots much better, yes. It would be nice if the final game had that amazing dof from the theater shots. For the iq we shouldn't delude ourselved, the game will have jaggies, good old 360 is no PC. Same goes for the ground texture on the second shot.
Would it? 'Cause I actually like seeing what I'm looking at, heh. Though yes, naturally the game won't be as jagged-free as represented here; weird how many people still get fooled by such things even still.

Halo:CE, Halo 2, and Reach all were Techniclly impressive games for their times. Enemy counts, scale, and Industry rewards for particle effect technologies. Not to also forget that advancements in network infristructure were also key milestones stemed from the "Bungie Era" of Halo games.

And now for the topical post...

Halo 4 looks beautiful, but this means it's a time for celebration not prior game degradation.

FStop7

Banned
I'm gonna go ahead and say congrats in advance to 343i for having pulled off what must have been a very difficult handoff from Bungie - those were big shoes to fill and it looks like 343 really got it done.

There are great gameplay implementations of DOF, like in Cyris or Uncharted. (E.g. aiming down the sights)

Not for a HALO game where clear sight is important. Also aiming down sights? Do you see aiming down sights in this game?

Please stop posting here. You make no sense in you rumblings.

I'm gonna go ahead and say congrats in advance to 343i for having pulled off what must have been a very difficult handoff from Bungie - those were big shoes to fill and it looks like 343 really got it done.

Indeed

I can't wait to see what they do next-gen.

x-Lundz-x

I'm just going to say no matter what the game look phenomenal regardless of the platform. It's beautiful in motion and doing this on 7 year old hardware makes me wet with what 343i is going to be able to do on the Xbox 720.

KageMaru

I would call it a pretty safe assumption.

Going by how you analyze graphics, I don't think it's safe for you to assume anything. =p

so why did their games not stand infront of the pack graphically? why did people not say 'wow i had no idea that console could do this' as people do for Halo 4, for Naughty Dog games, and as they did for Bizarre's 360 exclusives (rest in peace).

Blindness, ignorance, lack of awareness/knowledge, bias, varying opinions, or just overall lack of appealing art? There are endless explanations why people see what they see. I'll be the first to admit that Reach did not have the most appealing art direction with the more muted colors and such. However comparing how GAF breaks down graphics to how a developer does the same, it's clear to me that some people here have a hard time considering the bigger picture when looking at a game technically. I'm not even remotely saying I know everything or more than everyone, but I tend to pay close attention to how the experts look at these things.

From a technology stand point, Reach does many of the same effects as other high end console games. So what's left at that point, art direction maybe? Maybe lack of effects being shoved right in the player's face? I'm not sure since that would be a discussion based on individual preference and opinion.

if 343 has the time to create an engine from scratch, i believe the game would look *better*. obviously in many many many ways Halo 4 is built on top of the work bungie did but Reach was not the best looking shooter on 360 when it came out, neither was ODST, neither was Halo 3.

Not sure how you can some to the conclusion that Halo 4 would look better if they created an engine from scratch. If that were really the case, don't you think they would have gone with that direction?

Also, I'm having a hard time figuring out what shooters on the 360 looked better than Reach when it launched. Halo 3 and ODST, I can understand, but Reach really did a whole lot at the time compared to other shooters on the system.

as such, i see no reason to think that Bungie's Halo 4 would look as good as 343s does. no one was surprised by Reach's graphics. many people are surprised by Halo 4s.

I really don't care what the masses think since many times an opinion at large is flawed. It's interesting to discuss how people come to form their opinion, but I don't see that as fact.

Again I think people had lower expectations for Halo 4, plus the fresh art team, and those two factors contributed to the impressions we see with Halo 4.

i don't know why you can't see that. i don't know why i can't credit 343 for that, and i think people saying 'Bungie was just as good' are downplaying how good a job 343 have done.

I can't see it because there's no reason for it. I even specifically remember a tweet from someone at 343i around the time Halo 4 was first shown where they thanks Bungie and said they couldn't be where they are without the work they did (or at least something along those lines).

I have no issue giving any studio credit, but to downplay other studios when giving said credit, it's rarely warranted. I think the guys at 343i would be happy to be compared to Bungie and I would even bet my account that they would agree with my line of thinking more so than people here who are downplaying Bungie's efforts. We don't know where Bungie is today with their current gen tech, so there's no way to say definitively how they compare to 343i.

and i say that as someone who regularly defended Halo 3 graphically because of its lighting. even then though i acknowledged that in many other graphical areas it was lacking.

And I'm not saying your opinion is wrong per se and I'm not arguing or thinking you're trolling by any means. I just don't think people are giving Bungie a fair shake, especially since we haven't seen their work in 2 years.

Do you remember anybody being impressed by Halo Reach to years ago? It looked good - for a Bungie game - but didn´t get the reactions 4 is getting.

I remember being underwhelmed at the time.

So what was underwhelming? Was it the enemies with nice poly counts, texture resolution, detail maps? Was it the use of HDR and deferred lighting? The 30+ enemies that can fill an encounter? I can keep going.

Or did the slight sub-HD resolution and some ghosting make you miss everything else the game is doing correctly?

Footage looks ok, but can't compare to the theater bullshots. It was passed off as ingame to me in the thread a few months ago and I was skinned alive for doubting that.

It was passed as ingame because outside of the bump in resolution, it was created ingame. Yes they were bullshots, but everything else is still present in the game.

There are great gameplay implementations of DOF, like in Cyris or Uncharted. (E.g. aiming down the sights)
DOF makes a lot more sense when i'm not supposed to be seeing the world through human eyes. at no point during gameplay do i want to see such a heavy camera esque DOF effect as seen in those model shots.

a very good DOF is seen in a lot of cutscenes in the game. i can't tell if it's the exact same one, but it's in there where appropriate.

Not for a HALO game where clear sight is important. Also aiming down sights? Do you see aiming down sights in this game?

Please stop posting here. You make no sense in you rumblings.

Sorry for discussing graphics in a screenshot thread. And I doubt that the DOF would not make sense in the game, it could be implemented similarly to Uncharted. Aiming down the sights is not possible, but zooming. Just check out Crysis to see a great implementation of it. It does not take away any clear sight. Also I was expecting good dof, when it was previously shown in bullshots that were advertised as ingame.

MattDoza

Only difference I've noticed is that you don't see the black borders of the visor in multiplayer, but yeah (I think some of the blue lines are less pronounced, too).

Yeah, I just started looking at more of the shots and noticed the same. It's a bit of a shame, but still glad it exists in Campaign. Should make it a little more unique from the MP, I suppose.

blamite

Yeah, I just started looking at more of the shots and noticed the same. It's a bit of a shame, but still glad it exists in Campaign. Should make it a little more unique from the MP, I suppose.

I think it's probably a good idea to keep the screen a little cleaner in MP, plus you'll be using different helmets so it doesn't really make sense to have Master Chief's visor outlines all the time.

It does look great in Campaign though

adelante

Sorry for discussing graphics in a screenshot thread. And I doubt that the DOF would not make sense in the game, it could be implemented similarly to Uncharted. Aiming down the sights is not possible, but zooming. Just check out Crysis to see a great implementation of it. It does not take away any clear sight. Also I was expecting good dof, when it was previously shown in bullshots that were advertised as ingame.

I'm pretty sure those shots had tons of DOF because they were showing off what the in-game engine was capable of doing in real-time. Ultimately its 343's artistic direction that dictates when such an effect is needed (in this case they've reserved it for cutscenes). However, you judging the quality of the game's graphics based on DOF, or the lack thereof, doesn't make that much sense.

see5harp

Crysis 2 is a very good looking game on both 360 and ps3. I know they showed DOF in the early videos but there was no indication that it was part of the single player campaign. Maybe they'll use it in cutscenes. Either way it's not a big deal to me, I don't feel duped over the lack of blur filter.

Not sure how you can some to the conclusion that Halo 4 would look better if they created an engine from scratch. If that were really the case, don't you think they would have gone with that direction?

Building an engine from scratch takes a lot of time and manpower. It already took 343 about 3 years and change to finish this game. Adding the time needed to create an engine from nothing would've prolonged that by 2 years probably.

Cost to performance ratio wasn't worth it.

GlamFM

Banned
So what was underwhelming? Was it the enemies with nice poly counts, texture resolution, detail maps? Was it the use of HDR and deferred lighting? The 30+ enemies that can fill an encounter? I can keep going.

Or did the slight sub-HD resolution and some ghosting make you miss everything else the game is doing correctly?

I don´t count polygons or enemies or pixels or whatever. I just look at the screen and decide if I think it looks good or bad.

I my ( crazy ) theory a game could have infinite amount of everything and still look bad.

There are things like art direction and design you should really get into.

watership

Building an engine from scratch takes a lot of time and manpower. It already took 343 about 3 years and change to finish this game. Adding the time needed to create an engine from nothing would've prolonged that by 2 years probably.

Cost to performance ratio wasn't worth it.

It's very possible 343i has been building the next gen halo engine for the past few years already, concurrent to the Halo 4 development.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Building a new engine "from scratch" is a waste of time in 99% of cases. It's just what fanboys want to hear so developers tell them they are doing it (or, stupidly, actually do it).

Usually what ends up happening is that you end up losing all this built-in knowledge and have to go fix the same bugs somebody else fixed 5 years ago.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

edit: BTW Eurogamer has a new article, Halo on the next system will not be using a new engine, so there you go. 343 Interactive is smart.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Game looks really gorgeous, but this is probably the first Halo game I'll be skipping. It's a shame, too. The game is looking good.

It's very possible 343i has been building the next gen halo engine for the past few years already, concurrent to the Halo 4 development.

Well yes, I'm sure the next gen Halo game will come on a new engine, but I'm sure Microsoft has devoted a separate special team for that (may very well be part of 343 possibly), but for Halo 4 they probably felt it was too early for a brand new engine or the costs outweighed the benefits 3 years ago.

GreekWolf

I don't even own a 360 yet can admit this game looks great for the hardware and in comparison to previous entries. Your blatant trolling is offensive man. Seriously...

When graphic crowns are challenged, the rage starts a growing.

It's amazing to see what can be wrangled out of ancient hardware, when it's given big-time talent and a bazillion dollars. This looks really, really impressive.

Top Bottom