• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

Karl2177

Here is the final version. It's called Intercession. Why? Because I couldn't come up with a name on my own, so I googled "Random word" until I came across something I like. There are three versions of it. One for my set of semi-competitive settings; one for Infinity settings; and one for no sprint no instant settings. It's a smaller map probably for anything 1v1 up to 4v4, since lord knows we need them at this point. It's actually symmetric, unlike that one that just came in Crimson out that claims to be symmetric or whatever. It's got some floating coliwalls to shadow one side so that way everything doesn't look like white. All the pictures are from my cell phone, since we don't have the ability to share pictures for some reason. Maybe it hasn't been outsourced yet, I dunno.

Comparison pictures between my design and Forge:
WkFgQ.png

izwlAiMIA88P2.jpg

Here's an overview of the map. Hopefully you can tell what's going on in the sea of white.
ieXOZnGfR2kEr.jpg

If not here's something with the Waypoint patented information overload™.
iR4UODIsCDQbQ.jpg

The 1 is Rockets(Boltshot underneath), 2 is Sniper, 3 is BR, 4 is Carbine, 5 is DMR, 6 is AR. Those diamonds are grenade spawns. The orange is where the mancannon shoots you.

Here's red base. I added the lights to make the white less jarring.
iZQvEUYYJCu7I.jpg

Here's a view of the middle. The man-cannons go to the top of the base. Why? It becomes a control point. Something that most of the Halo 4 maps are lacking.
iIv3ytxwsd79q.jpg

Here's a view of under one of the walkways. You can go under the center if you want. If you're playing Karl Slayer or NSNI a Boltshot spawns there, since it's power stupid to spawn players with them.
ibujjLirhWCk5o.jpg

Here's another overview of this thing. Looks kinda interesting, I guess. Almost reminds me of a time when maps were simple and not about jagged rocks preventing you from getting onto the top ridge.
ibnY6p0EfYZer1.jpg

Here's a view of the longest sightline on the map. It's down the middle bridge. A rocket totally spawns in the middle, because it's all cool and stuff.
ibmnyBhhRZ4Yi7.jpg

Here's a view from the top of blue base looking toward the end of the middle bridge. The red dots indicate where the random ordnance is in Infinity Slayer.
iwh210uLuglbo.jpg

I dunno. I think it looks fun. Maybe we should try it sometime. They are in my file share. I'd link it, but well... You know.

GT: Karl2177
Map names:
Intercession (this is the one for Karl Slayer, which you can also find in my file share)
Intercession-static (this is for NSNI)
Intercession_Infinity (this is for Infinity Slayer)

Overdoziz

Banned
Map looks good, although I'm not a big fan of the overabundance of lazy cover. It's better to have cover made out of the geometry of the map itself than just placing a thin wall somewhere to break up lines of sight.

nillapuddin

Hello GAF, after having them "finished" for about a month I finally got around to publishing my maps to my fileshare, Id love if yall checked em out and gave me some feedback.

Thanks a ton to everyone who playtested or just ran around in circles with me 1v1 :)

they are remakes, Turf, Foundation, Desolation

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
will defininetly check out nilla... but whats with the flat lighting in foresaken? is that just how a forge map looks in that environment?

nillapuddin

will defininetly check out nilla... but whats with the flat lighting in foresaken? is that just how a forge map looks in that environment?

Pretty much, there is one part of that map where you can actually have
subtle
shadows, but mine isnt built there.

unfortunately the map just has to make a living off of atmosphere and pipes
: /

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, we skipped a weekend.... forge testing this weekend? if so, resonance.v2

Here's a look at my latest map, Crow Junction. 4v4, slayer, CTF, etc.

The general idea is a quick train/tram station, complete with start station, mid-station/loading, and end station. The train comes fast and often, and it's a hazard that will (usually) kill you if you're hit by it.

It's a "rough" symmetrical map, meaning it's got a layout that feels roughly symmetrical without being so. Mostly I wanted it to be easy to find your way around without the two sides actually being exact mirror versions.

Here are some pics, and the map is on my fileshare. Looking forward to any commentary or critique. I apologize for the crappy cell quality of the pics :p I wish 343 would get the online File Share working already.

Below is the red base, which is the end point for the train. The train comes along the track you see on the right side of the image, and stops at the red light in the background:
4JoRe.jpg

Now, the blue base. The train starts behind the red shield door and shoots down the track toward the center and finally ends at the red base:
A1W1p.jpg

Here's a look down the tracks from the point where the train spawns in at blue base:
9en2X.jpg

A look inside the central boarding station, where terminals surround the lower central platform, and ramps take you up to the boarding platform itself:
6yKPM.jpg

A back path is available that also connects each base, shown here:
Zvxlz.jpg

Loving the lighting. I've been meaning to look into forging but I just don't have the drive. I was pumping out maps left and right in Halo 3, no idea what it is. Might be that customs feel nonexistent by comparison.

Krabardaf

Hi there! Been messing with custom games and maps tonight. We're having a LAN here.

I know this has probably been answered already, but is there still no way to search trough community modes and maps? I mean, there's a search, but it can't find anything. The game has been released for months...
Also, what the hell at some of the settings missing in custom games?

Really bummed...but i guess it's still a cool game when played with friends. Will try out some of the maps here, if i can find out how to download them.

NOKYARD

Time to get this thread rolling again.

For inspiration, one (or possibly two) of the maps in this thread is being considered for Matchmaking implementation.

So, take a shot to rinse the salt from your mouth and get building.

Retro

For inspiration, one (or possibly two) of the maps in this thread is being considered for Matchmaking implementation.

In Halo 4's Forge? I'd rather take a daily pine cone suppository.

Relevant: http://youtu.be/KMaKVDEBqoY

When 343 fixes some shit, maybe. But even then, probably still not.

Oh, I bet it's Crow Junction! A moving train would be a perfect diversion from the current Halo 4 mapset.

I have two maps I'd like to try out some time. One is a small vertical-ish 2v2 that I have set up with just about every gametype. Another is also small but I made it with Doom deathmatch in mind and attempted to make a gametype to match.

Do you find it more of a pain to forge in H4 compared to Reach? I haven't even attempted anything yet because I got discouraged by the completely aggravating RETURN TO BATTLEFIELD every time I looked for a decent spot.

Overdoziz

Banned
Do you find it more of a pain to forge in H4 compared to Reach? I haven't even attempted anything yet because I got discouraged by the completely aggravating RETURN TO BATTLEFIELD every time I looked for a decent spot.
I tried remaking one of my Reach maps only to find out that because of the rounded edges on blocks there were holes everywhere if I used the same pieces as in Reach. The fact that instead of improving the object selection in Forge compared to Reach they actually made it worse really frustrates me. I tried beginning Forging maps a couple of times in Halo 4, but every time I stopped after a while just shaking my head.
No more talking! Make me some god damn maps!

With Love,

Tashi
GAF better not be your only source for Forge maps, because I don't see many maps being released on here.

Stupid question, but do maps eligible for matchmaking have to abide by the current rules? For example, do we have to use strictly global/initial ordnance or are simple on-map weapon or powerup pickups allowed?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I tried remaking one of my Reach maps only to find out that because of the rounded edges on blocks there were holes everywhere if I used the same pieces as in Reach. The fact that instead of improving the object selection in Forge compared to Reach they actually made it worse really frustrates me. I tried beginning Forging maps a couple of times in Halo 4, but every time I stopped after a while just shaking my head.

GAF better not be your only source for Forge maps, because I don't see many maps being released on here.

It's not. GAF has given me like 5% of the maps I have. I've been looking for maps everywhere.

Stupid question, but do maps eligible for matchmaking have to abide by the current rules? For example, do we have to use strictly global/initial ordnance or are simple on-map weapon or powerup pickups allowed?

I will double check for you.

NOKYARD

I tried remaking one of my Reach maps only to find out that because of the rounded edges on blocks there were holes everywhere if I used the same pieces as in Reach.
Rounded corners yes, but there are no holes. The pieces actually have square corners. You cannot shoot, nor toss grenades through the 'holes'. Even the little notches in the edges are solid.

Overdoziz

Banned
Rounded corners yes, but there are no holes. The pieces actually have square corners. You cannot shoot, nor toss grenades through the 'holes'. Even the little notches in the edges are solid.
I know you can't shoot through the holes, but it can still make maps look unnecessarily messy, especially if there's a corner where like three blocks come together. Just another easily avoided aspect of Halo 4's Forge which makes it frustration, more so even than Reach's.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi, give Crow Junction (on my fileshare) a try if you're looking for an interesting 4v4 sized map. Set up for general slayer and I think for CTF. Thanks :)

I'm interested in all maps, no matter what the size is. I'll download your map tonight for sure. If there are any updates, just let me know. Feel free to PM me or anything.

As far building the maps with global ordnance or normal weapon drops: Do what you feel works best for the map.

NOKYARD

This echos my experience as well. One tiny step forward, two huge, inexplicable steps back.

Really? I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I'm doing some of my best work ever.

This map has holographic lettering and a fully functional force field. Try doing that in Reach.

Forge may have it's shortcomings but i always manage to adjust to the provided tools. I have never relied on precision editing and i forge with a second controller so zooming is not an issue.

I've basically finished the geometry of my forge map now (well actually finished it weeks ago). However I have no drive to finish off the map by doing the spawns and the weapon placements. I really should get around to doing it but every time I load up forge I just feel as though I'm wasting my time. Anyone else get the same feeling when nearing the completion of a map?

Also while I am here anyone know what the requirements are for the maps going into the matchmaking update with regards to split screen support? I've heard from a lot of people that split screen on any forge map is basically unplayable?

Yama

Map: Lockout
Gametypes: Slayer (1v1, 2v2, 4v4, FFA), MLG, CTF, Oddball
File Share: YamaMX

Please watch the video provided as it has an in depth look, explanation and more:

*** Halo 4 Competitive Maps | Lockout (Perfect Remake) - YouTube ***

It's inevitable that a map as good as Lockout will be re-created countless times, though it's also inevitable that it'll be created inaccurately by memory just as many. This version was made with Halo 2 PC running directly next to it, line of sight for line of sight, trick jump for trick jump. This is a creation from the heart made for those who truly enjoyed the map back in the Halo 2 days.

I named the map none other than Lockout for a reason, it's spot on. For example, through timely testing and monotonous placement, it has been created in that the player can shoot the barrels on top of sniper tower and catch the sniper in mid air, rinse and repeat. It is that accurate, every nuance matters.

1-5_zpse330f0da.jpg

While there are maps that expand the size for Halo 4's speed and other intricacies (and I completely understand and support that), this version of Lockout is 1:1. While it still works well with standard Team Slayer, it excels at what it used to, 2v2, 1v1, FFA, etc. It also supports oddball and CTF (best played with OG capture settings, forged 1 flag, etc.).

2-3_zps83223e93.jpg

3-2_zps205bf6a3.jpg

Most of all, what made Lockout competitively appealing is retained without having to sacrifice visual fidelity in the process. It is as appealing as ever with it's placement in space, each corner with a dramatic and stunning set piece.

4-2_zpsf1edd03c.jpg

5-2_zps084d5a31.jpg

Lastly, if you're tired of browsing through remakes, kindly disregard this thread. If you can understand the amount of time, effort and heart that went into this project, I appreciate your input.

Karl2177

Cross post here and the Halo OT

I've been working on another map. When I read about the FFA contest, I figured, eh what the heck. I'll give my second map another shot. It took the original idea of courtyards and doodled a new version on a piece of paper. If I'm making a symmetric map, I generally break the map into 4 squares that each have 4 squares as well. This was the result.

iqrMtOjGbN4PY.png

Just like usual, I decided to go into SketchUp and mold out the map. It stayed fairly true to the paper version. The biggest issue I noticed in SketchUp was that there were only 2 ramps to get to the top. I figured I could find some new spots in Forge once I started it up.

imgpt4wkoOvY7.png

iQ01FECTtCzlf.png

A lot of things got changed, but the overall design largely remained the same. It is mirror symmetric, instead of inverse symmetric like my concepts were. The base layout still is a courtyard design. I changed the base layout to have ramps inside the base. This gives players a way up right off spawn.

In order to accommodate for the 8 player max of FFA, I decided to turn the side pieces into their own courtyards. The side courtyards are a bit smaller than the team courtyards, mostly so it will work during team games. Originally the orange courtyard was green, but I decided to change it after my roommate's friend couldn't tell the difference between red and green base(hint: he's R/G colorblind).

In order to give more distinguishing features to one side, I decided to throw a small asteroid trail up on the orange side. This has another side effect of shading the red base and the orange base.

The center box is a giant LoS blocker. It blocks the top and bottom base-to-base, as well as side-to-side. There's also a pair of lifts on each side to give players another route to the top. So far this is the best lift I have made. I haven't gotten stuck on it yet, but I won't say that it is impossible quite yet.

The red dots indicate FFA spawns. This stayed true from the original concept.

These are the initial weapon spawn locations.

Blue dot- Frags
Green dot- Plasmas
Orange cross- Pulse(below)
Red dot- Shotgun
Purple cross- Sniper(below)

I have random ordnance set up as well, but it is spread across the map.

I wanted to have the name deal with courts, so I named it Dread. It's a play on Dredd, plus it made giving it a description really easy. "The UNSC always feared the threat of Mega-Asteroid One crashing into this lawless station." Fear-dread. It works.

Things I have remaining:
-Spawning
-Objectives
-Fix the janky floor
-Loadout cameras

I'll upload it once I get the first two done, which will either be later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for reading, and I'm eager for some feedback.

Zoolader

I'm finishing up a map aswell and would like to start testing it soon. It would be nice to submit to that new forge challenge for FFA maps. Tonight good for anybody?

Karl2177

I'm finishing up a map aswell and would like to start testing it soon. It would be nice to submit to that new forge challenge for FFA maps. Tonight good for anybody?

That's a no go for me.

EDIT: Nokyard, do you mind explaining the fix for the janky floors? I'd like to try it out myself.

Zoolader

Well the first version of my map with spawns and different gametypes is finally done. I would really like to play test it with some people here, maybe tonight? Well here is a link to Moonbasa, I'll try to get some good pics up soon. It seems the ones I took haven't uploaded yet to waypoint. If you have time please download it and critique in this thread.

Zoolader

Still needs to be tested... you guys aren't really active here. Pictures I snapped finally got uploaded to waypoint, that seemed to take a few days. I'm sure spawns need adjusting, and maybe more cover in the open areas. Only weapons on map are binary rifle, sniper rifle, sticky detonator, and hammer. The outer area was extended a length of a colosseum wall x 3 wide. It may be too big now but it feels more appropriate as a High Ground reincarnation (think open beach area). Maybe for team games I can leave it extended as gametype specific and FFA gametypes I can make reduce the floor size.

Gordon

Got Extraction set up on my map Fugue last night. Do these extraction locations look decent? My first instinct was to stick them in the corners near where the Needlers spawn and the corners near the muzzle-ends of the Beam Rifle and Scattershot in this picture. Went and looked at how they're set up in MM and decided to move them to where they are now.
Anybody have any insight into Extraction in general? I haven't played it much yet.

Karl2177

Paging NOKYARD, I'd like to know this as well.

So he went through how to do it shortly after I finished everything else on my map. I can give a brief tut on it, assuming he's fine with this. (If not, I'll edit my post)

You'll want to have the floors flat before you start your map. Otherwise you'll have to move everything that isn't a building up a couple of units, and then back down once it's done.

So here we go...

1. Place a new object with coordinates and snaps on.
2. Turn off snaps.
3. Turn on magnets.
4. Duplicate the piece and move it to where you want it without releasing the piece.
5. Wait 3-5 seconds for the piece to become stationary. Keep holding the piece.
6. When you want to place the next piece, just press down while it is still selected.(Otherwise you have to go back to the original piece and duplicate it)
7. Repeat 4 -6 until you have the floor the size you want it.
8. Save and quit.
9. Reload the map in the file selector(this means go into the map list and re-select your map).
10. Check the intersections. You'll want at the very least, two pieces to be square with each other.

Now here is where Nokyard and I differ. He checks the rows and finds the best row. What I did was find the best aligned pieces with no degrees of y-shift and at most either x-shift or z-shift. Once you find a piece that you like, delete everything else and duplicate the one you like.

If there is y-shift, you will notice it by holding down on the left bumper and going over the seams. There will be a bump if there is any y-shift. You'll also want to make sure that the pieces are parallel. To check for this, go along the seam to see if the pieces "V" out. You can check at both ends to see if they are both flush with each other.

This image is representative of 4x4 coliwalls, with a focus on 4 intersections. It ignores y-shifts, assuming they are all 0. At point 1, it has both z-shift and x-shift. I got rid of all of these. At point 2, I made the decision to keep a row based on everything else. At point 3, I instantly got rid of the crooked ones. I kept point 4. I'd then base all of my decisions on the floor based on those.

I can clarify anything if you need to. :)

Disconect

Neo Member
Map: Lockout
Gametypes: Slayer (1v1, 2v2, 4v4, FFA), MLG, CTF, Oddball
File Share: YamaMX

Please watch the video provided as it has an in depth look, explanation and more:

*** Halo 4 Competitive Maps | Lockout (Perfect Remake) - YouTube ***

It's inevitable that a map as good as Lockout will be re-created countless times, though it's also inevitable that it'll be created inaccurately by memory just as many. This version was made with Halo 2 PC running directly next to it, line of sight for line of sight, trick jump for trick jump. This is a creation from the heart made for those who truly enjoyed the map back in the Halo 2 days.

I named the map none other than Lockout for a reason, it's spot on. For example, through timely testing and monotonous placement, it has been created in that the player can shoot the barrels on top of sniper tower and catch the sniper in mid air, rinse and repeat. It is that accurate, every nuance matters.

1-5_zpse330f0da.jpg

While there are maps that expand the size for Halo 4's speed and other intricacies (and I completely understand and support that), this version of Lockout is 1:1. While it still works well with standard Team Slayer, it excels at what it used to, 2v2, 1v1, FFA, etc. It also supports oddball and CTF (best played with OG capture settings, forged 1 flag, etc.).

2-3_zps83223e93.jpg

3-2_zps205bf6a3.jpg

Most of all, what made Lockout competitively appealing is retained without having to sacrifice visual fidelity in the process. It is as appealing as ever with it's placement in space, each corner with a dramatic and stunning set piece.

4-2_zpsf1edd03c.jpg

5-2_zps084d5a31.jpg

Lastly, if you're tired of browsing through remakes, kindly disregard this thread. If you can understand the amount of time, effort and heart that went into this project, I appreciate your input.

Damm dude ,looks nice ,this one got a glass.
I hope it in your file share ....

Top Bottom