• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I have a SpartanOps question. There are achievements for Season 1. Is it true the episodes are only available for 10 days? So you only get 10 days to do them or you are screwed?

You can keep playing them.

And whoever thought that vehicle encounter on the 'Reclaimer' mission was a good idea is a goddamn idiot. I'm stuck in the Mammoth on Legendary, with no weapons, no vehicles, no allies, and five Ghosts and two Wraiths skulking around my door.

I've been saying this for years. Halo became a lot less fun once the veto system was introduced.

Give me a playlist with veto disabled please!

Or you could just play with your friends. Having a like-minded party with upwards of half the vote makes getting the maps you want pretty easy.

I've been saying this for years. Halo became a lot less fun once the veto system was introduced.

Give me a playlist with veto disabled please!

Ya me too. Ive been saying it since fucking Halo2. Its honestly a lot less fun when people select the same maps over and over again. Id much rather have a rotation of all maps and get diversity, then the same fucking map over and over.

I have a SpartanOps question. There are achievements for Season 1. Is it true the episodes are only available for 10 days? So you only get 10 days to do them or you are screwed?
First I've heard of any expiration date for the episodes. Don't think that's true.

Is this the first Halo game with no backtracking? Seems so.

Spartan Ops Episode 2 seems to be the part on foot just after you hop off the Mammoth on Reclaimer in reverse.

Regicide is the only mode I've played so far since I don't have a party yet for versus. I'm expecting that all the other game modes are just parties rolling over randoms, as usual.

I'd really like to see 343 try out some mercenaries playlists, for those of us who don't have regular players we can team up with.

I'm not familiar with a mercenaries playlist, but I imagine that would be Team-based playlists with a max party size restriction of 1? That would actually be pretty cool for when my friends aren't online. I normally don't like playing alone because teams against randies isn't very fun.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Regicide is the only mode I've played so far since I don't have a party yet for versus. I'm expecting that all the other game modes are just parties rolling over randoms, as usual.

I'd really like to see 343 try out some mercenaries playlists, for those of us who don't have regular players we can team up with.

This. I have people I can team up with but I ONLY want to play BTB on ragnarok lol

Isn't Ragnarok basically Blood Gulch? I mean, two bases in a canyon.

But your DMR/AR Combo intrigues me. Do more weapon combinations open up eventually?

I kind of wish there was a way to respec. I've spent points on a few options that I'm not entirely happy with. Active Camo seemed really cool, but whenever I use it, everyone seems to be able to see me anyway.

That's combo comes from using the perk that allows for two different primary weapons.

I think it is level sr29 Firepower perk but I can't remember. I'm at like 23 thanks to the mtn dew codes (shit's gonna kill me lol) and havnt gotten to play that much. Should get there by tomorrow though

abadguy

Banned
First I've heard of any expiration date for the episodes. Don't think that's true.

Yeah there will be more than a few people who purchase Halo 4 much later after the launch and would need to be up to speed on the story going into Spartan Ops. Can't see 343i not allowing them to go back and play earlier episodes.

Noricart

I need people to play with. This Halo is so boring by yourself. SOMEONE PLAY WITH ME PLZ... With that out of the way, loving MP, hating complex, solace and abandon.
And obj is too hectic with 5 people.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I need to learn the names of the maps there's a few I really want to bitch about in BTB

Some freaking maps shouldn't have a banshee god dammit!

And whoever thought that vehicle encounter on the 'Reclaimer' mission was a good idea is a goddamn idiot. I'm stuck in the Mammoth on Legendary, with no weapons, no vehicles, no allies, and five Ghosts and two Wraiths skulking around my door.
Absolutely. That whole mission is fucked in a lot of ways.
* The target locator now only works on big objective targets for no good reason. Its basically a dumb QTE. Hit (A) for awesome, but only on these exact targets at these times. Very, very un-Halo, dude.
* Tanks and ghosts (4 I think) wait to tackle you when the Mammoth is disabled, but you aren't provided much ammo to work with, and possibly no vehicles, as warthogs may have been destroyed before that encounter.
* I'm on the warthog at the end of that encounter and get the word to return to the Mammoth, so I drive out in front of it and there's a stream ahead that seems deep enough to kill me so I turn back towards the Mammoth expecting it to drop it's belly ramp. NOPE. We get to watch and scream as the Mammoth runs right into our hog and pushes us into watery death.
* Since when do small streams kill spartans? Since right now I guess.
* Wraiths are still psychic, and will spin on a dime and slam you with the main plasma blast just as you are rushing it from behind. Their aim is also beyond uncanny.
* Plenty of opportunity for allied AI warthog drivers to run you over. Yay.
* In a few situations, when fighting a wraith or ghost on foot, me and my buddies have been run over *through* barriers like large huge outcroppings.

Nothing about that encounter was fun for me, nor did it feel like a Halo mission. Its COD or Gears thinking at work, and I don't dig it one bit.

Absolutely. That whole mission is fucked in a lot of ways.
* The target locator now only works on big objective targets for no good reason. Its basically a dumb QTE. Hit (A) for awesome, but only on these exact targets at these times. Very, very un-Halo, dude.
* Tanks and ghosts (4 I think) wait to tackle you when the Mammoth is disabled, but you aren't provided much ammo to work with, and possibly no vehicles, as warthogs may have been destroyed before that encounter.
* I'm on the warthog at the end of that encounter and get the word to return to the Mammoth, so I drive out in front of it and there's a stream ahead that seems deep enough to kill me so I turn back towards the Mammoth expecting it to drop it's belly ramp. NOPE. We get to watch and scream as the Mammoth runs right into our hog and pushes us into watery death.
* Since when do small streams kill spartans? Since right now I guess.
* Wraiths are still psychic, and will spin on a dime and slam you with the main plasma blast just as you are rushing it from behind. Their aim is also beyond uncanny.
* Plenty of opportunity for allied AI warthog drivers to run you over. Yay.
* In a few situations, when fighting a wraith or ghost on foot, me and my buddies have been run over *through* barriers like large huge outcroppings.

Nothing about that encounter was fun for me, nor did it feel like a Halo mission. Its COD or Gears thinking at work, and I don't dig it one bit.

You should see the shit I'm pulling off to actually proceed in the mission. That
covenant ship is still hanging there, not opening up its gravity lift.
I had to start pelting Ghosts with AR bullets from afar, which is a suprisingly effective tactic. Considering you don't get toasted by Wraith mortars, of course. Now here's the fun part.

Once you kill one ghost, they drop in two more. Once you kill two ghosts, they drop in two more and add another Wraith to the mix. You can take out Ghosts with small arms fire, but Wraiths? No sir. I wasted a crapton of AR and Pistol ammo on taking those out, and starting abusing the hell out of the Checkpoint system to get some safeties. Once the ghosts were dead, I rushed forward and nabbed a Ghost, skirting between the two Wraiths and eventually taking them both out.

Not since Tsavo Highway on my Legendary playthrough of Halo 3 have I had this long of a battle in a Halo game. And not in a good way, either.

And it's not even over yet, because looks like that Phantom's dropping in some other Ghosts. Great.

Here comes another Wraith. And two more Ghosts.

Oh, a Gauss Hog showed up. It blew up the Wraith and then got killed by the Ghosts.

And now they dropped off another Wraith.

For fuck's sake, I kill the Wraith and they drop off four more Ghosts. What the hell is wrong with this mission?

MrBig

This mission is best played by hijacking the first wraith you come across, and stay in it until you're forced out. Any other way on legendary is futile.

I heard something about not being able to kill the wraith drivers or otherwise steal wraiths - true? Does the old Reach tactic of hopping in the turret to get the driver to leave still work?

I don't know about getting in the turret, but you can easily jump on top melee the door open, and directly kill the driver.

Oh, a Gauss Hog showed up. It blew up the Wraith and then got killed by the Ghosts.

And now they dropped off another Wraith.

For fuck's sake, I kill the Wraith and they drop off four more Ghosts. What the hell is wrong with this mission?
Whats the deal with that Gauss hog anyway? My first playthrough solo it was sitting off to the side of the Mammoth behind cover, and I was able to use it to pretty good effect.

When co-oping with my buddy the second time through we had no hogs at all by that point. BUT once we took out the bad guys and started to make our way back there was the hog, just sitting there. Guess I need to play it some more and see how its all supposed to work.

The third time (or fifth, or sixth, hard to remember) we had a hog from the get go and kicked ass. But then the Mammoth drove us into watery death. So....

This mission is best played by hijacking the first wraith you come across, and stay in it until you're forced out. Any other way on legendary is futile.
I haven't done that in a while to be honest - I think I've forgotten how. Although I always seem to get the chance to
plant grenades.

Well, I just managed to complete the objective. Took another three waves, but eventually
the ship opened its gravlift and the Mammoth started moving again
. Good thing I saved my BR bullets: mopped up the rest and then went on a killing spree with the Plasma Cannon.

Goddamn, I'm glad that part is over.

EDIT:

"It was getting a bit dicey there, for a minute!"

Well no shit, sherlock. Maybe you should've told those guys doing calibrations to pick up a gun and start shooting.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I just got into the gauss hog and went around in circles killin' shit.

Easy as pie.

EDIT:

"It was getting a bit dicey there, for a minute!"

Well no shit, sherlock. Maybe you should've told those guys doing calibrations to pick up a gun and start shooting.
Hahah - my co-op partner was yelling at them afterwards too.

Pretty sure one of those fucks was playing Galaga.

Ragnarok is good fun when not played back to back 6 times in a row. It's DMR heaven, I wonder how the map would play if BR was the only long range rifle in halo 4.

Man, there's a lot of Jackal Snipers on this mission. Good thing they magically lost their ability to aim in the four years between Halo 3 and 4.

You can keep playing them.

Don't even get me started on that mission solo Legendary...... Completely took me out of the damn experience ;\ and not to mention the game decides to glitch and not allow me to progress when I was halfway through the mission, so I had to restart the bitch all over again.

Make sure to use the Mammoth's Rocket Turret if you get a chance. I was in the same boat as you, but luck and persistence finally overcame the nonsense I dealt with for too damn long..

-truth bombs, truth bombs everywhere!-

And for reasons you pointed out is why I don't believe people who say solo Legendary was easy. Completely full of bologna - tasty tasty bologna.

Don't even get me started on that mission solo Legendary...... Completely took me out of the damn experience ;\ and not to mention the game decides to glitch and not allow me to progress when I was halfway through the mission, so I had to restart the bitch all over again.

Make sure to use the Mammoth's Rocket Turret if you get a chance. I was in the same boat as you, but luck and persistence finally overcame the nonsense I dealt with for too damn long..

Yup, I did. Wraiths blew 'em up right quick, though.

Speaking of ragnarok just had a game where it felt like half their team camped the middle hill with DMR's and spawn camped our side :/ that gun! THAT GUN!

Oozer3993

No. Once you download an episode of Spartan Ops, you can play it whenever you want.

Yup, I did. Wraiths blew 'em up right quick, though.

Yeah, I had the same thought. "Oh, rocket turrets!"

Turns out being in a stationary spot with Wraiths about is only a good idea for about three seconds. Gotta take those out beforehand, then mop up everything else with the turret.

Do the Spartan Ops missions happen concurrently with what's going on in Campaign?
6 months afterwards.

So, i've completed it and have no idea what went on.
Shoulda found and read the terminals in Halo 3 and the latest novels. And of course found the hidden Halo 4 terminals and watched them on Waypoint. And it would've been a good idea to transcribe that one explanatory cut-scene and meditate upon it.

Luckily, if you replaced all the voice-over with a foreign language you were incapable of comprehending, it would still be an epic, gorgeous and fun time.

Hawk269

Here is a free code for a female avatar Halo 4 Cryptum Shirt.

HMDDF-KJX2J-2THGJ-H4Y36-VDH6Z

Enjoy to whoever claims the code!

Just a quick thought but I desperately want the weapons to be on the map like they used to (Ordnance Weapons, not necessarily loadout weapons) instead of relying on luck to use the entire sandbox (Personal Ordnance weapons). There needs to be more consistency.

Also, there are way too many problems with the HUD not displaying Ordnance or glitching them, any word on this from 343?

Shoulda found and read the terminals in Halo 3 and the latest novels. And of course find the hidden Halo 4 terminals and watch them on Waypoint. And it would've been a good idea to transcribe that one explanatory cut-scene and meditate upon it.

Luckily, if you replaced all the voice-over with a foreign language you were incapable of comprehending, it would still be a fun time.
It's been about 3 years since i last touched Halo 3. As for the novels, should anyone really have to read them for the game? If so, i'd say that's pretty weak on their part or at least decision wise ($$$). That goes for the Terminal hunting too. A few reviews mentioned it but when i'm in the middle of trying to save the world the last thing i'm concerned with is taking excursions.
check the spoiler thread, I posted a video of all the terminals there, helps ALOT with the back story.

I'll check it out, cheers.

Top Bottom