• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Nearly finished with the campaign on Legendary. So far, Covenant encounters feel like Reach's Heroic mode, except the AI still feels several notches weaker than some of the previous Halo titles, which is disappointing. The experience, at the very least, is entertaining. I've yet to find an encounter that stonewalled me for a considerable duration of time.

It's a goddamn shame that Theater mode isn't available for the campaign. I used that feature quite a bit in Halo 3 and Reach.

Yeah the disappearing weapons is driving me crazy! My weapons after I die in multiplayer, the enemy AI weapons in campaign and co-op partners weapons disappearing.
Yeah, this bugs me a lot. Sometimes dropped weapons are really difficult to spot in the environment, or they just disappear. Nothing short of annoying.

Everyone using DMRs and sniping across the map in every map and every gametype is REALLY starting to get old fast. No de-scoping when getting shot and "flinching" instead is absolutely one of the worst decisions I've seen made to a popular franchise that already had its gameplay figured out, in a long time. And power weapons disappearing within seconds of being dropped, what? And these decisions have caused BTB to become one of the least fun gametypes in any FPS in recent memory, what a clusterfuck. The bad and nonsensical design changes become painfully obvious in BTB.

Said it already, but this Halo will not have the legs or longevity of previous ones. Hopefully 343 can get the next one more refined(or patch?), and at least take the people with ADHD off the part of the team that balances gameplay. I'm not seeing any rhyme or reason for many of these drastic changes to formula, other than a "well it's our game now and we're making it our own so hope you like it ;)", as the CoD fans on the dev team take the reigns and do what they want. The problem is that not only is it broken in quite a few ways as a multiplayer Halo game, it's broken as a multiplayer FPS in general. The fact that it's a Halo game just makes the feeling worse.
Bolded: Agreed 100%. The other (fishy) changes I don't mind so much, but changing the zooming mechanics is a really dumb decision in my opinion.

hey guys. not much of a halo guy here but wanted to drop in and say a few things here. i haven't really played any halo since halo 3 (not much) and odst (not much). thought i'd rent this from redbox and see what all the hubub was about. 343 pulled off some amazing shit with the ole 360. this is easily the best looking 360 game i have ever seen. i know this is old news but just had to throw in my 2 cents.

I have played all Halos starting with CE so I'm a fan but I agree that this is the BEST looking game I've ever played or seen on a console. I am on the last mission (I think) and I keep saying wow. My jaw is just on the floor. Seriously. Beautiful, beautiful game.

NBtoaster

I choose Ragnarok for being the most supportive of vehicle play.

Though I always chose Exile over others because it's the best balanced between foot and vehicle. Don't like the snow map. Vortex is good, but I can never find where the Wraith spawns.

J2d

Are there gonna be any free maps in the future? It's been a long time since I played a Halo game but ten maps seem a little low.

That's a shame, hopefully there will be some smaller maps or maybe that's something they are avoiding.

Don't count on it. For Halo 3, only one map pack was made free eventually, and one map was released free from the get-go for a special occasion. Reach didn't get any free maps, and nor will this.

Except if you count Spartan Ops, I guess. But who counts Spartan Ops?

TheOddOne

That's a shame, hopefully there will be some smaller maps or maybe that's something they are avoiding.
Dude, it is Microsoft. Free isn't something that is in their vocabulary. Which sucks big time, because with free map packs you increase the population *and* have a higher percentage of people that might be willing to buy paid map packs.

Striker

Waterworks and Terminal remakes please.
Waterworks definitely would've been a nicer map to play with rather than Valhalla. Whether or not it would've fit great with the DMR and new abilities like the Jetpack remains to be seen. But with how rampant base camping and mid map hill sitting Ragnarok is, and as it was in 2007, I wished they went another direction.

As for maps like Terminal, don't count on it. It doesn't fit the mold of symmetry they will be going after (then again look at Complex and Abandon). One flag and one bomb are also absent, so there goes its two best gametypes. So all that would be left is Slayer, Oddball, KotH, and Flood (lol). No thanks. If they do bring back the attack/defense flavor I would love for maps like Zanzibar, Terminal, and Headlong, but until they do, look for more of those mid sized symmetrical maps that suits slayer/2-flag.

Prior to release the maps looked like some of the best bunch for launch maps since Halo 2. While I still agree with those remarks, there's a bad taste in my mouth regarding some. I do like Haven, Adrift, Longbow, and to a point, Exile, but others are pretty sketchy. You can put Abandon in Halo 3 for all I care - the amount of AR beatdowns and double meleeing reminisces me so much of that game. Complex has no real gametype that molds in very well, and has lots of dead space (red base). I am skeptical on Vortex since I've only played it so far in Dominion, but it needs to be used for CTF. BTB stinks when it's nothing but slayer so it's disappointing to have this all laid out so poorly.

Izayoi

Banned
Somehow, 343 made a map that has layers with an inside and outside, and it functions like a flat land. Sightlines for days.
Why is this a bad thing? Long lines of sight are great, Complex is probably my favorite map in the game. What's wrong with you people? :(

AllGoodInMyHood

Neo Member
everyone is bitching @ Valhalla, but I find matches there less chaotic even with ass-numb team. screw meltdown totally.

Izayoi said:
Complex is probably my favorite map in the game.

bitch please, Complex is trash... slayer pro on a btb map - ./gg

soldat7 said:
Waterworks and Terminal remakes please.

more like Guardian, Pit, Middy, Locky <3<3<3

JB1981

Finding a lot of really high level players playing Dominion. I wonder what the reason is for that. I feel like Dominion games could last a little longer. They need to feel more like a protracted large scale battle, ala Battlefield,

I want to put in Reach to see how much De-scoping affects the gameplay. I do think the DMR negativity impacts BTB play ....

meppi

Finding a lot of really high level players playing Dominion. I wonder what the reason is for that. I feel like Dominion games could last a little longer. They need to feel more like a protracted large scale battle, ala Battlefield,

Noticed that myself. I'm getting my ass handed to me for the most part while playing Dominion. Still having a blast though.
While I'm getting some incredibly close matches for the most part in big team infinity slayer, many times coming down to one last kill. :)

Slowly getting into a nice groove while trying to build some skills and having some "holy shit that was awesome!" moments every once and a while. So much fun! :D

Truant

I can't get myself to turn on the 360 again. I'm halfway through the mantis section in the ship. Does the plot get interesting soon? I don't understand what's going on. Why is that badguy who has been hiding on a forgotten alien planet someone everyone knows who is? I have no idea who he is, my MC seems to do so. Is this some "read the books, man!" shit?

Striker

exploiting "near red spawn" geometry hole in oddball, scale of the map, ghost.
Instead of waiting a month for them to update, I don't see why they can't just remove Complex from the rotation in Oddball until it is fixed. Reminds me of the fusion coil in Valhalla and it needing to wait so long.

highrider

Banned
Hey just wanted to post that I would like to find some players for team and co-op games. I'm pretty good mostly lol. Gt is in my profile.

def sim

I can't get myself to turn on the 360 again. I'm halfway through the mantis section in the ship. Does the plot get interesting soon? I don't understand what's going on. Why is that badguy who has been hiding on a forgotten alien planet someone everyone knows who is? I have no idea who he is, my MC seems to do so. Is this some "read the books, man!" shit?

The terminal videos provide the necessary amount of exposition to follow the campaign's story. Yes, I think they handled the story poorly too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
What number did YOU get?

halo4_000001.jpg

That's awesome, mine is 547424. Speaking of the CE, does anyone else think this one is kind of weak? After the awesomeness that was the Reach CE's diary, I was hoping for something on par, but the "briefing" book and the blueprint were both awfully skimpy and the rest was just downloadable codes and a steelbook. Maybe the live action series used up all the money.

JB1981

Noticed that myself. I'm getting my ass handed to me for the most part while playing Dominion. Still having a blast though.
While I'm getting some incredibly close matches for the most part in big team infinity slayer, many times coming down to one last kill. :)

Slowly getting into a nice groove while trying to build some skills and having some "holy shit that was awesome!" moments every once and a while. So much fun! :D

I think the matchmaking has done a very good job for Infinity Slayer games. I always have very tight matches - it's fun.

Dreaver

That's awesome, mine is 547424. Speaking of the CE, does anyone else think this one is kind of weak? After the awesomeness that was the Reach CE's diary, I was hoping for something on par, but the "briefing" book and the blueprint were both awfully skimpy and the rest was just downloadable codes and a steelbook. Maybe the live action series used up all the money.

I agree but it was worth it for me. My shop had a €10 ($12) discount. The normal version was€50 ($64) and the limited edition was €65 ($82). I know the the 3 map packs will already be around $15-20 at least so it's worth it for me.

highrider

Banned
I agree but it was worth it for me. My shop had a €10 ($12) discount. The normal version was€50 ($64) and the limited edition was €65 ($82). I know the the 3 map packs will already be around $15-20 at least so it's worth it for me.
Same. I actually like the understated vibe of the ce. At the end of the day I had to have the steelbook though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I couldn't find it discounted anywhere, so at $100, I thought it was overpriced for the contents. Probably worth getting if around $80 though.

Dreaver

Meh they should really add a few forge maps to the rotation. The 'space station' one is pretty decent (and looks ok/good), the "sunny" one also has a pretty nice palette, I really like this The Pit remake. (url) I believe it's also going to be a official MLG map.

I don't think there is a problem with adding forge maps to the rotation, I just don't think the half of them should be forge maps with the same colour palette. (We've got 3 different skins now).

Meh they should really add a few forge maps to the rotation. The 'space station' one is pretty decent (and looks ok/good), the "sunny" one also has a pretty nice palette, I really like this The Pit remake. (url) I believe it's also going to be a official MLG map.

I don't think there is a problem with adding forge maps to the rotation, I just don't think the half of them should be forge maps with the same colour palette. (We've got 3 different skins now).
I really don't ever want to play The Pit or Sanctuary ever again in Halo 4.
Those maps are pretty much all that I played in Reach and now have a really sour taste.

Dreaver

I really don't ever want to play The Pit or Sanctuary ever again in Halo 4.
Those maps are pretty much all that I played in Reach and now have a really sour taste.
It was just an example how good the map looks (and probably plays). I personally wouldn't mind but I'd rather have new, original made maps.

Are your loadouts and armor stored server-side, saved on your profile or is there a different save file on your HDD for those? I'm going over to a friend's house to play some LAN tonight and want to take my stuff with me on an USB.

TheOddOne

Seeing as next month a map pack will release and after that every two months a new one, we should have a decent amount of maps soonish.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Seeing as next month a map pack will release and after that every two months a new one, we should have a decent amount of maps soonish.
I just hope they're incorporated into matchmaking properly. A lot of people buying them would help with that. Only match me up with others who have the same maps, plz.

I'm really starting to hate ordnance drops and instant respawning. I don't even understand why instant respawning is in the game. It's really annoying to have a close dmr/br/lightrifle duel with someone and for them to instantly respawn 10 feet away from you and get the one shot.

As far as ordnance drops go, they pretty much ruin Big Team, wayyyy too many power weapons at once.

Team Slayer Pro is a godsend now.

Chaplain

Beat the game last night. 343 studios faithfully recreated the Halo experience (gameplay and environments). The music was hit and miss though. Sometimes the music sounded like a Halo game, and at other times it sounded like a horrible Hollywood action movie.

I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with Halo 5 on 720. What I am hoping for is co-op with up to 8 or 10 people, AI battles with at least 100 enemies on screen, in bigger "sandbox" type environments.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm really starting to hate ordnance drops and instant respawning. I don't even understand why instant respawning is in the game. It's really annoying to have a close dmr/br/lightrifle duel with someone and for them to instantly respawn 10 feet away from you and get the one shot.

As far as ordnance drops go, they pretty much ruin Big Team, wayyyy too many power weapons at once.

while it doesnt bug me near as much it sounds like it does you, i could definitely get behind both changes, especially changing the weighting for the mega power weapons in ordnance.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I might be the minority but I think ordinance drops make BTB soooooo much better.

If it wasn't for them BTB would just be a DMR fest all day. Is that a problem? If you are sick of playing Ragnarok now imagine if there was only one spartan laser on the whole map...

Which ever team has their Mantis and Banshee intact would just reign fire on the other team the whole time.

I might be the minority but I think ordinance drops make BTB soooooo much better.

If it wasn't for them BTB would just be a DMR fest all day. Is that a problem? If you are sick of playing Ragnarok now imagine if there was only one spartan laser on the whole map...

Which ever team has their Mantis and Banshee intact would just reign fire on the other team the whole time.

If they can patch in Descoping when hit again you would not need half the other shit. It would even make maps like Complex a whole lot better. You can see all the fishy people already taking off. I can tell when they are all crawling around crouched the entire match and trying to hide.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There are moments when the music sounds like a straight rip of Star Wars, which is weird. Particularly when
The Composer enters the Ring's orbit

JB1981

I can see how it is cheap as well. They are many instances where I will instantly respawn next to a player who just died and I will finish off the guy who just killed said player with a one-shot from the DMR.

Top Bottom