• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
There are some really bad instances where I round the corner and the group of Covenant/Prometheans just sit there for a brief second before moving. It's almost like I came around the corner and yelled "surprise"!

It's kind of a distraction from the narrative as you can plainly tell when they're being told to act and spawn in. Dunno why this is an issue compared to previous games (Halo CE had them too, but you usually found those only when you strayed off the beaten path or sped through the level--the Flood spawns and final zone with the Banshees on "Two Betrayals" are two I can think of.)

yeah, i've actually seen groups of enemies spawn in during the campaign. i've also seen FAR more AI wonkiness in 4 than in any other halo game - things like AI literally just standing there until i engage them, and AI getting stuck and running into a wall forever.

the combat loop seems fine when its working and they dont seem any dumber or simpler then past games, but there does seem to be more "bugs" with AI behavior, thats for sure.

Anyone know what the factor is for Pioneer XP increase?

thought i read here somewhere that its an additional 500xp a game...

yeah, i've actually seen groups of enemies spawn in during the campaign. i've also seen FAR more AI wonkiness in 4 than in any other halo game - things like AI literally just standing there until i engage them, and AI getting stuck and running into a wall forever.

the combat loop seems fine when its working and they dont seem any dumber or simpler then past games, but there does seem to be more "bugs" with AI behavior, thats for sure.

thought i read here somewhere that its an additional 500xp a game...

Yeah 4 is definitely the most janky. I had to restart a whole mission twice before I could get past a player triggered spot because it just wasn't doing anything.

I do think the AI is worse on the covenant. I am going through the game again solo on Legendary and they are no problem. Its not like in the previous games they were impossible but they always provided a good challenge especially if there are 3 of them. They stay rooted in place way more and I can't think of getting flanked one time by them.

Louis Wu

Have you been playing for long? I had a K/D ratio of more than 3.0 before matchmaking kicked in and my K/D ratio normalized to about 1.7. Higher than previous games, but still relatively average.
lol - yeah, no.

The stat I remember from Halo Reach (coming from someone with access to the backend numbers) is that something like 85% of all players had K/D ratios below 1.0.

If your K/D is 1.7, you're nowhere NEAR average.

Yeah 4 is definitely the most janky. I had to restart a whole mission twice before I could get past a player triggered spot because it just wasn't doing anything.

I do think the AI is worse on the covenant. I am going through the game again solo on Legendary and they are no problem. Its not like in the previous games they were impossible but they always provided a good challenge especially if there are 3 of them. They stay rooted in place way more and I can't think of getting flanked one time by them.

I guess that has more to do with level desing in the campaign rather than the AI itself.

Elites in Spartan Ops are way more mobile and aggressive, since they have the space to do that.

GhaleonEB

lol - yeah, no.

The stat I remember from Halo Reach (coming from someone with access to the backend numbers) is that something like 85% of all players had K/D ratios below 1.0.

This is one of those few times where anecdotal GAF experience seems to line up with the big picture.

Damn, tense game of Regicide. Didn't do so well at first, but managed to climb back to second place at 280 points. The king had 290 with a +35 bonus and was fighting some other dude. Right as I smack him in the back to win, he gets the winning headshot. :(

op_ivy

also, elites in halo 4, even on legendary, don't have the cray over powered shields they had in reach. iirc, even in legendary halo 4, one over charged plasma shot will drop any elites shields.

lol - yeah, no.

wow, i've never heard that before. i am a halo GOD.

Man, I haven't felt this way about Halo multiplayer since Halo 2.

-engine feelsgoodman
-the sword is finally balanced
-the magnum is exactly where it should be
-fucking nailed the assault rifle too
-sprinting for everyone is long overdue
-armor abilities are not OP
-vehicles are vulnerable
-perks system allows for more customization than ever
-best original maps since Halo 2
-actual incentive to level up and get commendations
-no worthless vehicles - even the mongoose has high speed now
-join in progress is a good thing

That said,

-take the music out of multiplayer
-don't prevent movement while viewing score
-add X to HUD for dead teammates
-I love ya Stetizer, but chill out.
-where is proximity voice? I want to shit talk the enemy in-game.

Fuchsdh

-engine feelsgoodman
-vehicles are vulnerable

That said,

I like the music in that it's restrained and adds a little bit to the end of the game. But yeah, Steitzer and the center text could be dropped to the left and reduced in frequency and I'd be much happier.

Join in progress is a good thing I think too, but the implementation still needs work.

I like the music in that it's restrained and adds a little bit to the end of the game. But yeah, Steitzer and the center text could be dropped to the left and reduced in frequency and I'd be much happier.

Join in progress is a good thing I think too, but the implementation still needs work.

I agree about the music, it's not overbearing and mostly subtle, but sometimes I want to listen to my own music while I play. At least give us separate music and sfx sliders.

JB1981

Went back and played some Halo 3 and Reach MP. Man, Halo 4 is so much faster. Didn't realize how much the game has changed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Why is the netcode in this game so bad? Pretty much every game I've tried to play today has either been rollback hell, or starts off fine and then degenerates into rollback hell.

>:|

op_ivy

Why is the netcode in this game so bad? Pretty much every game I've tried to play today has either been rollback hell, or starts off fine and then degenerates into rollback hell.

>:|

most of my laggy matches look completely normal, but as soon as i engage someone, none of my bullets ever register as hits. super frustrating.

-engine feelsgoodman
-vehicles are vulnerable

That said,

Disagree with these. Camo is OP, especially at range. They need to make it so after you shoot, it takes longer to go back to full camo than instantly, or just get rid of it all together. Join in progress is not a good thing in Halo. When people leave a game, its multiple and its because they are losing badly. Every time I join a game in progress, my team is getting destroyed. Then the other team leaves after the game so you can't put them in their place. To add to the "that said section," make it so if you have toggle crouch enabled, you get forced out of it when shot. Also make it so you get forced out of zoom when shot. If not for all weapons, just do it for sniper weapons.

op_ivy

Disagree with these. Camo is OP, especially at range. They need to make it so after you shoot, it takes longer to go back to full camo than instantly, or just get rid of it all together. Join in progress is not a good thing in Halo. When people leave a game, its multiple and its because they are losing badly. Every time I join a game in progress, my team is getting destroyed. Then the other team leaves after the game so you can't put them in their place. To add to the "that said section," make it so if you have toggle crouch enabled, you get forced out of it when shot. Also make it so you get forced out of zoom when shot. If not for all weapons, just do it for sniper weapons.

i agree about camo. probably my biggest beef with the game. i love how they nerfed it from reach, but the fact that you are invisible and there is no indication of a camo user on radar when they hold still in some ways makes it even more powerful then reach's version. camo snipers/campers are the worst thing in halo 4.

lucius

Just got to playing the campaign last couple days(Heroic), I think it's great better than Reach, but the music when the menu loads up is terrible. I don't even think it fits Halo at all.

Louis Wu

wow, i've never heard that before. i am a halo GOD.
lol - the other thing to remember is that 15% of a few million people is still a SHITLOAD of people.

You might be in the top few percent - but there are plenty of folks you'll meet that will wipe the floor with you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What SR Rank is everybody up to now?

Just hit 42. Can't wait to start on Pioneer later. I think that should be an obvious investment considering the mileage you can get out of SpOps at the same time.

Homeboyd

H3fAZ.gif
:lol

Got nothing but love for you steely.

(m)

Just hit 42. Can't wait to start on Pioneer later. I think that should be an obvious investment considering the mileage you can get out of SpOps at the same time.

38. What do you mean about Spops? I realize Pioneer allows faster XP gain but what does that have to do with Spops?

Here's my dude:

fullbody

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
38. What do you mean about Spops? I realize Pioneer allows faster XP gain but what does that have to do with Spops?
1. Do Pioneer Specialization
2. Add Pioneer's extra XP tactical package to a loadout.
3. Exclusively use that loadout in SpOps games.
4. Bonus XP from SpOps.

Unless it doesn't work in SpOps for some reason.

DesertFox

1. Do Pioneer Specialization
2. Add Pioneer's extra XP tactical package to a loadout.
3. Exclusively use that loadout in SpOps games.
4. Bonus XP from SpOps.

Unless it doesn't work in SpOps for some reason.

Do you know if 2x DewXP works with Pioneer?
So tired of grenade damage radius being so small. A grenade can blow up 4 feet away and does nothing.

For the people who suffered through Reach - this is a wonderful thing.

Checkpoints in campaign really suck. I just went through an entire section on 'Forerunner', got killed when an Elite hijacked me, and the game sent me back almost five minutes.

Jinjo

I don't think join in progress replaces quitters. Was just in a 2 vs 5 CTF game where 3 teammates left (we were winning so they probably lagged out). Even though the game went on for about 4 minutes we never received back-up. We lost in goddamn overtime. :/

I think the main reason that the team you joined is losing is because matchmaking decided a 7 vs 5 match or something would be a fair thing to do. Which imo is the bigger problem (game starting before teams have filled up/are even).

It's fun catching camo'ers by surprise with Promethean Vision btw, but yeah after seeing how good camo is now I switched camps (for my BTB loadout mainly).

But what makes Spops better than matchmaking for that?

SpOps matches take less time and you get nearly double the XP than matchmaking.

soldat7

i agree about camo. probably my biggest beef with the game. i love how they nerfed it from reach, but the fact that you are invisible and there is no indication of a camo user on radar when they hold still in some ways makes it even more powerful then reach's version. camo snipers/campers are the worst thing in halo 4.

Camo and Promethean vision are perfect for my cautious and defensive playstyle. I'm shocked at how aggressive players generally are, racking up 15+ kills while accumulating an equal number of deaths or more. It's amazing how a smart, defensive team can create a meat grinder for the more aggressive opponent in this iteration of Halo.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So tired of grenade damage radius being so small. A grenade can blow up 4 feet away and does nothing.
For balance reasons, I think the grenades work more as they should now — they're less like a primary weapon, which they sort of were in Reach. I had so many grenade kills in that game.

That said, I still think I'm going to try out the Explosives support upgrade to see how much of a difference it makes. After coming in thinking Dexterity was going to be a must-have, I've been playing with it off and on and it doesn't really make a huge difference. Halo isn't like CoD where, if you get caught reloading, you are instantly dead.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

it is quite small. I always toss ALL my grenades at pretty much the first guy I see as well. can almost never find grenades again. I've been having some luck with the 2 powerups that make you have an extra grenade and stronger grenades though. caught quite a few guys now when I throw 2 grenades and then wait a sec, throw the third just as they come charging round the corner thinking I'm out.

Can't figure out the BR at all or more to the point why you would take it over DMR. Just learning the boltshot as well, I discarded it before but now I realise that the animation was confusing me, if you can ignore that and use the reticule, it's freaky strong. Had a pretty good round where I got in a dual with a guy and he got my shields down first, I retreated round the corner and charged the boltshot, which he came running around the corner directly into. I know he said bad words at the screen.

I'm also quite awful at grenade play in general. I wasn't very good with grenades in reach, but I'm trying to improve by playing with 3 grenades and using em a lot in this one. I have no idea how to aim grenades, but I did jump out of my chair the one time I got a hail mary.

Jinjo

For balance reasons, I think the grenades work more as they should now — they're less like a primary weapon, which they sort of were in Reach. I had so many grenade kills in that game.

That said, I still think I'm going to try out the Explosives support upgrade to see how much of a difference it makes. After coming in thinking Dexterity was going to be a must-have, I've been playing with it off and on and it doesn't really make a huge difference. Halo isn't like CoD where, if you get caught reloading, you are instantly dead.

I've been running the Explosives support upgrade for a while now, the difference in grenade power is definitely noticable. I can't give up my unlimited sprint, but combined with grenadier grenades become a lot more useful.

Lima

Obvious choice for the first specialization is Rogue. Can't wait to reduce that fucking flinching.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been running the Explosives support upgrade for a while now, the difference in grenade power is definitely noticable. I can't give up my unlimited sprint, but combined with grenadier grenades become a lot more useful.
Good to know. I was going to set up a loadout with Grenadier/Explosives as you said. I was initially going to go with Resupply, but I think Grenadier is a better option for people who die pretty quickly like me. :|

Mobility is awesome, too — I love running around non-stop like a chicken with my head cut off — but I only use it for Oddball and King of the Hill. If I use it in Slayer, I play way too recklessly.

Jinjo

Good to know. I was going to set up a loadout with Grenadier/Explosives as you said. I was initially going to go with Resupply, but I think Grenadier is a better option for people who die pretty quickly like me. :|

Mobility is awesome, too — I love running around non-stop like a chicken with my head cut off — but I only use it for Oddball and King of the Hill. If I use it in Slayer, I play way too recklessly.

Yeah, resupply might be an option too. But I think most people use up their grenades before they die anyway. Atleast my last act of desperation is always throwing my remaining grenades lol. Also, I like lighting up an entire room with all my nades at once lol. I get what you're saying with sprint. I (try to lol) use my sprint mainly to get away. Combined with hard light shield my survivability goes up a lot.

Obvious choice for the first specialization is Rogue. Can't wait to reduce that fucking flinching.

Same here. I think I actually prefer being knocked out of scope. That way you can still aim normal and my reticle stays on my opponents goddamn face.

Top Bottom