• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Dreaver

Fair enough, I am in NA so I never notice a significant difference between games so there's no real way for me to tell who is host. I think we can both agree that this is a type of game that needs dedicated servers, but that is just a pipe dream for Halo.
Well, I think it has to do with the fact that the majority of the players is from NA. For example, there are around 14.000 ~ players around for infinity slayer right now, versus around 3.000 ~ in the beginning of the afternoon in Europe (later in the evening the ratio is even worse). So yeah, easily the majority of the games has a US host. The latency difference between two people in NA won't be big enough most likely to notice. However, versus someone in Europe (and in a much worse degree versus people in Australia) the difference is bigger, and certainly noticeable, especially with crappy US hosts.

I also have the feeling that there are way more US people than EU people compared to Halo 3, ratio-wise.

Yeah I'd love dedicated servers for this, or at least a search region filter (come on 343).

Complex... I mean Harvest:
Z8yIS.jpg
Vortex... I mean Shatter:

Harvest... I mean complex.. I mean Wreckage:

---

All of these look like they could be part of the same map.

LosDaddie

Banned
The DEWXP codes are printed on the outside of the Doritos bag, so you can (and I've seen people) actually just take pictures of the codes on the bags and enter them before the bags have been purchased. This means that the people who purchase the bags for the codes can't use the codes, as they've already been used.

You can take pictures of Doritos bags for the the Double XP code because they were printed on the outside. Don't even have to buy them.

:lol Damn. That's good.

I had a few codes from the 2 Dew 12packs I bought, and some Doritos here & there.

I'm pretty sure they terminate your double xp if they find out you've been taking codes you didn't pay for. Afterwards, you won't be able to get double xp even if you paid for it.

I would imagine so, but then again, the Doritos may have a "No Purchase Neccessary" thing on them. I did a little research on this and someone on the Waypoint forums was saying that each code can be used on 2 different profiles.

Big maps.....woooooo......ugh. Where the hell are the smaller maps? We have enough big maps! Too many! Think I'll be waiting to pick this one up.

Complex... I mean Harvest:

Vortex... I mean Shatter:

Harvest... I mean complex.. I mean Wreckage:

---

All of these look like they could be part of the same map.

Was about to say the same thing. Harvest looks a little like it's a mix of complex and rats nest. Looks like it could be decent.

Gazza

Neo Member
i was really looking forward to smaller maps... Oh well ill wait till then 2nd map pack is revealed to buy them.

Also hoping a patch is announced soon to address the many issues with the game currently.

Pooya

Visually they are very similar to what we have, the layout better be different enough, that Harvest pic is awfully close to Complex >.< .

Majestic map pack was the only one that looked really interesting from concept artworks, others looked similar.

i was really looking forward to smaller maps... Oh well ill wait till then 2nd map pack is revealed to buy them.

Also hoping a patch is announced soon to address the many issues with the game currently.

Believe there is supposed to be some patch notes sometime today.

Arnie

I really hope one of the changes in the patch notes is the removal of instant respawn and JIP from Slayer Pro, as well as the ability to disable instant respawn in custom games. Such a minor, yet important change.

Brizzo24

Trying to figure out how this happened. I finished the campaign, on Heroic. However, I never received the achievement for completing mission 3, which is odd bc i haven't recovered my tag or went offline. That's one thing, but the game also doesn't recognize that I ever completed mission 3, either, outside of the achievements. I'm perplexed on how I was able to advance to the next mission without a completion!?!

alk7O.jpg

You can clearly see 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 all done.

TE1Jd.jpg

All missions unlocked, though no "highest difficulty completed" here

JksMd.jpg

Proof that I made it to the end, on Heroic.

zlatko

Banned
I have all the achievements for completing missions solo on Legendary, and the multitude of ones you get if you complete the game on legendary your first time, yet it never unlocked the Master Chief stuff for MP for me. If I look at waypoint/in game it says Mission 6 and 7 were not completed, yet I have the proof as well.

I am no way in fuck redoing either of those long ass missions, so I hope 343i fixes it at some point.

REV 09

they all look the same to me : /

hope they play good at least, but aesthetically they are a step back from the concept art.

equil

I have all the achievements for completing missions solo on Legendary, and the multitude of ones you get if you complete the game on legendary your first time, yet it never unlocked the Master Chief stuff for MP for me. If I look at waypoint/in game it says Mission 6 and 7 were not completed, yet I have the proof as well.

I am no way in fuck redoing either of those long ass missions, so I hope 343i fixes it at some point.

I believe you only unlock the master chief stuff by completing the campaign on co-op.

I'm guessing we'll get 1 free map along with the map packs that'll give us a total of 10 BTB maps and 10 mid-sized "general use" maps with an even split between Forerunner and UNSC.

What's the difference between Extraction and Territories beyond the Extraction Gun?

Dirtbag

Those maps look like something ripped straight from Killzone, and they really look very similar visually. Meh

Then again I HATE the look of Adrift, and its probably my favorite map to play on.
Visual fatigue on these maps already and I havent even played them yet.

EDIT:Beaten by everyone, but I'm glad I'm not the only one bored with the look of them

LosDaddie

Banned
How do you guys recommend doing the campaign? I haven't played any of it yet.

I way I did it in Reach was 2 solo runs: 1st run solo on Heroic for the story & stuff, 2nd run for the Legendary cheevos.

I was thinking about just doing a solo Legendary run the first time, but I don't want to get too frustrated

pringles

Maps look pretty decent, great for BTB fans but not so much for everybody else.
Anything to reduce Exile's and Ragnarock's dominace over the BTB playlist is a good thing. I've only played Meltdown twice, and Vortex a handful of times. Barely anyone votes for the best map in the game either (Longbow).

Insaniac

Anything to reduce Exile's and Ragnarock's dominace over the BTB playlist is a good thing. I've only played Meltdown twice, and Vortex a handful of times. Barely anyone votes for the best map in the game either (Longbow).

I dislike longbow, the design of the map funnels people too much into the upper base (base B on dominion). Also its the only BTB map with no heavy vehicles, which is good, but due to its cramped design warthogs are too vulnerable to plasma grenades/pps

I enjoy Vortex mainly because I can dominate with my AR in the middle base.

Hey guys, I had exactly the same problem like you guys a week or so ago, I had to delete my gamertag from my HDD and redownload it, then it worked.

Just a heads up.

When I try deleting my gamertag from my hard drive it says "This action cannot be completed".

Still can't connect to the servers. My respect for 343 is disappearing.

I'll of course have to play on them before I truly critique them but I agree that they look too similar (namely Shatter and Wreckage) but if they play well, that's what matters most. My bigger concern is that this game desperately needs an influx of small maps, I was telling myself not much longer to finally get more maps pumped into SWAT and hopefully compound can then go away from that game type...not happening with this map pack. Lets hope for more diversity and smaller maps with Mystic. Still excited to get new maps regardless.

pringles

I dislike longbow, the design of the map funnels people too much into the upper base (base B on dominion). Also its the only BTB map with no heavy vehicles, which is good, but due to its cramped design warthogs are too vulnerable to plasma grenades/pps

I enjoy Vortex mainly because I can dominate with my AR in the middle base.
I dislike Vortex because it funnels people too much into to the middle base (base B on dominion) :p Longbow, along with Exile, has the most striking visuals of all the mp maps which is part of why I like it. I also find it refreshing to play on since it's not vehicle dominated. And it's just fun, for some reason or another, and seems well-balanced with very little spawn-camping.

Tawpgun

If BTB wasn't a shit show I would be more hyped. Fortunately/Unfortunately I bought the season pass so im getting the maps regardless.

Ban Plasma Pistol/Plasma Nades from loadouts in BTB.
Ban the DMR from loadouts in BTB.
Get rid of Infinity Personal Ordnance (so its no BTB Heavies all the fucking time)

Insaniac

I dislike Vortex because it funnels people too much into to the middle base (base B on dominion) :p Longbow, along with Exile, has the most striking visuals of all the mp maps which is part of why I like it. I also find it refreshing to play on since it's not vehicle dominated. And it's just fun, for some reason or another, and seems well-balanced with very little spawn-camping.

:p

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

Longbow should only be played for Dominion it is terrible in big team.

If BTB wasn't a shit show I would be more hyped. Fortunately/Unfortunately I bought the season pass so im getting the maps regardless.

Get rid of Infinity Personal Ordnance (so its no BTB Heavies all the fucking time)

I agree with all of this.

JB1981

Keep dreaming.

Hey You

I'm guessing we'll get 1 free map along with the map packs that'll give us a total of 10 BTB maps and 10 mid-sized "general use" maps with an even split between Forerunner and UNSC.

What's the difference between Extraction and Territories beyond the Extraction Gun?

Once you captured a Territory, another one pops up on the map. If I Remember correctly, there will be 5 hills total.

def sim

Two large and one mid-small map works out since BTB has the largest population at the moment. Though all these maps have probably been decided a long time ago so who knows.

Anyway, it's good to hear they've tinkered with JIP.

Longbow should only be played for Dominion it is terrible in big team.
Agree with this. Its the weakest of the BTB maps since it completely revolves around that center base, with only small skirmishes otherwise, at least in my experience. Ragnarok is next up in terms of predictability but I still see some surprising team tactics that shift focus to other areas of the map besides center hill, so that's good.

Keep dreaming.
Pretty much. Those aren't changes, they're a different game.

Dirtbag

BTB is and has always been a joke anyway. I actually think it should be a mess of vehicles and power weapons and DMR domination. 8 vs 8 is never going to be a big balanced game. It's there to go in and fuck shit up and play like an asshole.

4 vs 4 Slayer / CTF is where the finess should be heaped into.

OrangeOak

When I try deleting my gamertag from my hard drive it says "This action cannot be completed".

Still can't connect to the servers. My respect for 343 is disappearing.

Don't bother,I tried deleting my profile and every other possible thing but it gave me nothing.
If you wan't to delete your profile though you must sign off,redownload your profile(if it says it can't at the moment,try again it will allow you at some point),sign in after downloading(no other option) and than sign out again and now you will be able to delete it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only thing the Crimson Map Pack trailer told me was that Shatter doesn't look as cool as the concept art suggested.

Otherwise, I can't really say anything until I've played it. Pre-release gameplay and trailers usually aren't indicative or helpful at all at determining whether a map will be good or not.

Top Bottom