• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I'd trade it back for KotH, but I don't see them removing it. It is by far the best out of the remaining playlists in the game.

Wait, they removed KOTH? What the hell? I never liked it in Halo, but that's odd. They should definitely get a merged objective playlist up soon then.

lol. so you say Halo 4 is good enough.

Sorry others have the opinion some of this stuff should be in the game from the beginning, not even in matchmaking but restrict some stuff to be adjustable in customs is just blatantly stupid. Playlists are handled well? We could argue, but let's say they are ok (Flood shouldn't be a non-temp. list)
Some stuff is and was broken.

You don't understand the bitterness? I don't understand the optimism "Oh it will be fixed" "Oh Halo 5 will be better" "Oh the second title update will be glorious", Some of this stuff and flaws was discussed to death before launch in the community thread, even with Frankie and co.

As I said, I understand the criticisms, however it's tiring and bitter. I'm not being an optimist by saying 343 is reviewing/updating - I'm just realistic with the fact that we've got the game, it's easily one of the best shooters of recent years (and a good halo entry), and 343 will continue to manage it. I don't think the game is 'good enough' - rather that the game is perfectly playable. My post was directed at the people who act as if the game is unplayable or a complete change from the Halo formula. It looks, feels and plays like Halo - and I'm certain 343 will deliver on at least a classic and/or mlg Playlist to tone down the controversial elements.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, they removed KOTH? What the hell? I never liked it in Halo, but that's odd. They should definitely get a merged objective playlist up soon then.
It will be removed as of Monday.

It's a shame, because Halo 4 is the game where they finally got KotH right.

I'd like to see Squad Slayer return and I'd set it up like this,
- 5 v 5
- invis, jetpack, and PV locked out
- maps would be Complex, Ragnarok, Haven, Solace, Adrift, Abandon, and Relay
- no personal ordnance
- no instant respawns
- 1CTF and Slayer
- No Specializations or nerfs associated with them (Flinch etc)
- No Perks or any of that nonsense
- No loadouts, BR or AR start

Is there anything I can do about the lag in spartan ops? It's fucking unplayable. Yet Borderlands 2 is flawless when I play online.

So frustrating..

I feel like this would be a good setup

Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity 8 v 8 
Big Team Objective 8 v 8 CTF, 1flag, assault, 
Dominion
Team Regicide
Doubles 2 v 2, Haven, Abandon, Solace, Adrift
Multi Team 4 sets of 3, oddball, ctf, slayer (low weighting), rcket hog race, Above maps + complex, longbow, harvest, and vortex. 
Action Sack
FFA Obective oddball, regicide, koth 
FFA slayer
Team Objective 5 v 5, Oddball, Koth, CTF, more I'm forgetting. No ragarock.
Team Swat 4 v 4
Flood
Team Snipers 
Grifball
Team Slayer Pro

Crimson DLC

Havok

Does Multi-team usually coexist with Doubles? I thought one got switched out for the other?
They've coexisted in the past, yeah.

Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity 8 v 8 
Dominion
Team Regicide
Multi Team 4 sets of 3, oddball, ctf, slayer (low weighting), rcket hog race, Above maps + complex, longbow, harvest, and vortex. 
Action Sack
FFA slayer
Team Swat 4 v 4
Flood
Team Snipers 
Grifball
Team Slayer Pro

Crimson DLC
They're not going to inflate the playlist count up to 17 like that, not after Reach's bloat - look at how cagey they are about the 11 they have now and their unwillingness to go past it. I like the consolidation of certain groups of gametypes you have (Team Objective is pretty much inevitable considering King is about to leave matchmaking entirely and Ball is looking like the next victim). Team Slayer Pro will eventually be replaced with the hardcore/MLG hopper, it's barely hanging onto its tiny population. Separating BTB Objective and Slayer is a mistake - not in categorization, because it makes sense, but Halo has never been able to support two separate Big Team playlists (Ranked/Social split in both Halo 2 and 3 failed). FFA makes more sense, but I don't know if it works long-term (FFA Throwback wasn't a huge success and the total population is dropping pretty steadily, making duplicate playlists dangerous). If you really wanted to keep playlist count low, you could consolidate Dominion into BTB since they share maps, and Team Regicide into either a Slayer or Objective playlist since it crosses playstyle and shares maps.

This is a hard Halo to nail down the playlists for since there are so many disparate playstyles they need to support. That list is a good start, though I don't know how willing they'll be to make major consolidation efforts for a while.

Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity 8 v 8 
Dominion
Team Regicide
Action Sack
FFA slayer
Team Swat 4 v 4
Flood
Team Snipers 
Grifball
Team Slayer Pro

Crimson DLC

Just gonna crosspost my idea from earlier today in the community thread with slight changes.

Idea to revise the playlists: do a ranked/social split, whether you want to call it Classic/Infinity or whatever.

RANKED
No Join in Progress, no instant respawns, no personal ordnance, all of that good stuff. These playlists would include CSR functionality.
Team Doubles (2v2)
Slayer Pro (4v4)
Team Regicide (4v4)
Team SWAT (4v4)
Team Objective (5v5. First option is alternating One Flag/One Bomb, second option is Capture the Flag, third option is Assault.)

SOCIAL
Halo 4 shit. Instant respawns, join in progress, personal ordnance, all of that. Enjoy!
Infinity FFA (6 Players)
Multi Team (2v2v2v2)
Infinity Slayer (4v4)
Infinity Objective (5v5. First option is CTF, second is Oddball, third is King of the Hill)
Dominion (6v6)
Big Team Battle (8v8)
Extraction DLC (6v6. This playlist would eventually get merged with Dominion for a sort of "Big Team Infinity Objective" playlist.)

ACTION SACK
A single Double EXP Playlist; the playlist would be rotated from a pool of options. Some options would include:
Flood
Race
Team Snipers
Grifball

This gives you a total of 13 (eventually 12) playlists.

I just have to say this again. I think 343 did a great job with Halo 4 but are doing a POOR job as far as playlist management. Actually that actually takes a bit of fun away from the game. I just don't understand why they can't go back to how the playlists were set up in Halo 3.

We had variety, options and the playlists were still organized. Why must you constantly keep swapping out playlists. Why not just throw everything at us including the kitchen sink the way Halo 3 had it for us.

I might have on my nostalgia glasses at this point but something just doesn't feel right the way they have the playlists set-up.

Louis Wu

That would be correct, the only two playlists in Reach that require DLC are Anniversary Squad and Anniversary Firefight. The rest of them are entirely DLC-optional. MLG might require one, I don't remember
It's an easy mistake to make, though - I remember going into Team Slayer with someone who didn't have any DLC, and saw the message - we almost left.

The only difference between the 'you can't play' message and the 'you don't have all of the maps' message is 'required' is changed to 'recommended'. (imo, the 'recommended message should include "you can still play" or something like that, to keep people from leaving before they actually try it out.)

am i alone in wanting to see "squad slayer" return for halo 4? even if its just for a week to test the waters. a lot of these maps seem slightly large for 4v4 and i think you could probably even tose in more of the larger maps for 5v5 (with vehicle adjustments).

That's actually a great idea. It would be a little bit of a better fit for the mid-large size maps they seem to be pushing.

Halo Squad Slayer:

5v5
No Camo, HLS, PV (Jetpack?)
No personal ordnance
Predictable power weapon spawns.

Sign me up!

Released to acclaim by the community, removed from matchmaking without comment a month later.

FyreWulff

It's an easy mistake to make, though - I remember going into Team Slayer with someone who didn't have any DLC, and saw the message - we almost left.

The only difference between the 'you can't play' message and the 'you don't have all of the maps' message is 'required' is changed to 'recommended'. (imo, the 'recommended message should include "you can still play" or something like that, to keep people from leaving before they actually try it out.)

True. People not understanding the "Recommended" content message was a known problem. It was an attempt to notify people that a playlist supported content they didn't have but they could still play, which was a messaging problem they had in Halo 3 (people thought DLC only existed in the required playlists). I wonder what Halo 4 says when a playlist has optional content.

Hey You

How much does 2000 Microsoft points in the US cost for you guys? I thought it was 25 bucks.

For 2000 points for me in Canada it's 29.00 bucks. So it's pretty much the same price if I purchase the War games map pass or buy them individually.

Da heck? Is my maths off?

FyreWulff

How much does 2000 Microsoft points in the US cost for you guys? I thought it was 25 bucks.

For 2000 points for me in Canada it's 29.00 bucks. So it's pretty much the same price if I purchase the War games map pass or buy them individually.

Da heck? Is my maths off?

25$. 80msp = 1$ in the States

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.youtube.com/user/AirsoftXX/videos?view=0

So I discovered this guy's channel who showcases/creates some awesome forge maps. also, he has some tips on how to do advanced forge mechanics, sliding doors, elevators, gravity ziplines, etc.
This is awesome.

Blackout looks awesome with that custom gametype. Cool use of Promethean vision that promotes teamwork.

EDIT: This entire channel is amazing, thanks for posting.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Did 343 happen to discover "defend" type missions when designing this week's Spartan Ops or something? It was a bit much. Luckily I managed to get both achievements while only needing to re-do one of the chapters — competent teammates were a nice surprise.

I'm glad they're taking a break for a bit. Since I play the chapters in matchmaking, I've felt compelled to get them done each week even if I didn't really want to, and I'm kind of burnt out on it now.

Looking forward to new maps tomorrow, even if I haven't quite played the game enough to be sick of the current ones. I just hope they actually show up in MM (a rarity in Reach). I don't ONLY want to play the DLC playlist.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
is there anyway to get into the first four Spartan Ops episodes with randoms/matchmaking?
Not right now, but (from last week's bulletin):

On top of that, we will also be featuring a Best of Spartan Ops compilation next week, made up of the following chapters:

• Core – Chapter 5 of Episode 1
• Hacksaw – Chapter 3 of Episode 2
• Shootout in Valhalla – Chapter 4 of Episode 3
• The Didact’s Gift – Chapter 5 of Episode 4
• Spartan Miller – Chapter 1 of Episode 5

Then, from December 17 – January 14, episodes 1-5 will be re-entered into Matchmaking (one episode per week) to support the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge, and allow anyone who missed the first run or wants to replay a previous chapter to easily find teammates online.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just completed single player on heroic. Well, that was anticlimactic.

Top Bottom