• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

-Overshield has been rendered pretty unimportant now in IS.

-Saw is insane, and every match I've played so far has had more than one in play.

-Shield recharge rate is too slow now, thanks mainly to instant spawn and the uncanny ability of spawning an enemy at your back (ESPECIALLY on forge maps, which are the main choices now).

-Glad that the BR and Carbine are formidable weapons again.

-Hologram still rules.

-Over a dozen 4v4 games so far, and no sign of Haven in the voting options. :-/

Overall, the update makes going in solo even shittier.*

* - brought to you by Halosalve, the newest cream for shitonitis. Butthurt? Try Halosalve, and wipe those blues away.

Karl2177

Overall, the update makes going in solo even shittier.*

* - brought to you by Halosalve, the newest cream for shitonitis. Butthurt? Try Halosalve, and wipe those blues away.

I actually agree. I played with heckfu, hydra, and xand for a while yesterday. Was frustrated, but I could at the very least tolerate it. My first game solo after getting new shorts was so bad that I had to leave.

Also, Spartan Ops is pretty fun when you turn the audio completely off. It's still fairly monotonous, but you don't have to listen to Palmer. Now they just need to boost the XP associated with the challenges in it.

Homeboyd

Now they just need to boost the XP associated with the challenges in it.
They need to do a lot more to the challenges than that. Every challenge in Halo 4 seems like a grinder. Nothing interesting, nothing fun... Just keep playing and you'll eventually get there!! Every campaign challenge is just completing this mission on that difficulty with these skulls. Do the "waypoint" challenges even work?

I really hate the direction they took with this 'new' challenge system vs Reach.

IHaveIce

Banned
-Overshield has been rendered pretty unimportant now in IS.

Yes I agree, with the weapon buffs a double layered Overshield would probably more fitting

Am I the only one here who likes the new SAW? Maybe it's just my connection, but in the past I felt like it destroyed health but felt like a slog to work its way through enemy shielding. Now it actually feels like it should have in the first place, imo.

I also finished a new map of mine called Synthesis. It can support anywhere from 2v2 to 6v6 and it'll probably work pretty well for Oddball and CTF, I dunno about Extraction. It's currently only set up for Slayer but I'll add in new spawns sometime before the weekend. Anyone interested in testing it?

EDIT: to clarify on map flow, it plays kind of like a three-leveled, symmetrical combination of Foundation and Chill Out. It also borrows a few elements from Onyx and Rat Race.

I actually agree. I played with heckfu, hydra, and xand for a while yesterday. Was frustrated, but I could at the very least tolerate it. My first game solo after getting new shorts was so bad that I had to leave.

Also, Spartan Ops is pretty fun when you turn the audio completely off. It's still fairly monotonous, but you don't have to listen to Palmer. Now they just need to boost the XP associated with the challenges in it.
I've pretty much given up on Spartan Ops. I had the highest of hopes for that mode when it was announced, and it was a complete letdown in every respect despite the relative quality upswing in the later episodes. And the "challenges" that 343 offer for SpOps, just like the campaign, are an afterthought at best. I hope the whole model for the mode is completely reworked, because I'm barely interested in what comes next.

Yes I agree, with the weapon buffs a double layered Overshield would probably more fitting
I thought it was getting tweaked as well, but I guess that was me misinterpreting tweets from Quinn. RIP custom powerup.

Karl2177

They need to do a lot more to the challenges than that. Every challenge in Halo 4 seems like a grinder. Nothing interesting, nothing fun... Just keep playing and you'll eventually get there!! Every campaign challenge is just completing this mission on that difficulty with these skulls. Do the "waypoint" challenges even work?

I really hate the direction they took with this 'new' challenge system vs Reach.
It definitely needs improvement. I have part of an article written on challenges and commendations, but am waiting on images(no rush). For future games, we should have more available tags for potential actions.

So to clarify are are there no random ordnance drops now? I was thinking of actually playing this in a bit.

I approve of your new avatar.

You still get your own ordnance and some maps have them for the re-spawning weapons, if that is what you mean.

Random drops around the map though I not noticed.

Havok

So to clarify are are there no random ordnance drops now? I was thinking of actually playing this in a bit.
I initially thought that was the case, but there are still random drops on some of the maps, as far as I know. For example, Ragnarok will still see the occasional Binary Rifle drop in the creek, which is a shame. There are consistently initial ordnance resupplies, though, so there's at least some predictability present now. It's an improvement in that regard, but some of the (awful) weapon and vehicle placements (Fuel Rods, Gauss Hogs, increased Mantis prevalence) and the inconsistency of whether or not Global Ordnance points were totally removed on a per-map basis prevent the map updates from being as good as they could be.

Do the Community Cartographers have any problem with Green Screens being used on maps? I have two on mine merged into Coliseum Walls to create a level floor.

Watched some tejbz gameplay last night. Pretty big CoD guy but good lord he was destroying with the Carbine. Then he got the damage boost and it was ridiculous how fast he was killing everyone. Looked pretty fun tbh.

IHaveIce

Banned
Watched some tejbz gameplay last night. Pretty big CoD guy but good lord he was destroying with the Carbine. Then he got the damage boost and it was ridiculous how fast he was killing everyone. Looked pretty fun tbh.

If you are good the Carbine is amazing, I am bad with it :(

I still haven't figured out what are the shots now with Damage boost.

Is the BR then a 3shot?

Is the BR then a 3shot?

With damage boost I think so. Man watching someone good with the Carbine is fun. That stream of green just blowing dudes away, HAWT!

JackHerer

Is the BR then a 3shot?

It might be 2 shot now. Maybe it's 3 still (that's how it was pre-update) but if it is it's 2 burst +1 bullet or something. Either way the BR feels ridiculously powerful with damage boost now. The good thing though is that because of the quicker kill times it's easier to kill a damage boosted played if you catch him off guard.

Edit: I guess it is two shot

I just was forced to play 1v2 in doubles after my teamate quit out. Went 29-0 before the other team quit lololol. Dat "trueskill" matchmaking system.

Damage boost BR was a 3 shot *before* the buff. Think it's 2 now.

ooh, I was thinking it was 3 hit but I guess a bullet was missing the target or something.

My fave weapon since the update has to be the carbine rifle, I am enjoying it with it's buffed accuracy and it can kill really fast now. My regular BTB setup is now the light rifle and the carbine along with a sentry.

One weird difference I am noticing is the shield boost pickup, has it been buffed? because I can land more then 8 carbine shots on someones overshield and they will still have it and take more punishment.

Havok

One weird difference I am noticing is the shield boost pickup, has it been buffed? because I can land more then 8 carbine shots on someones overshield and they will still have it and take more punishment.
I'm not 100% sure if the Personal Ordnance Overshield drops were changed as well, but on-map OS should now be 3x OS instead of 2x, so it provides another layer of shielding that you'll have to break through.

I would assume that the change carried over to killstreak overshields since I think it's the same object on the backend.

I wish they had been able to change the player coating to reflect the change though. Halo 2's OS went from white to red to standard yellow so you could tell which layer you were shooting through.

I'm not 100% sure if the Personal Ordnance Overshield drops were changed as well, but on-map OS should now be 3x OS instead of 2x, so it provides another layer of shielding that you'll have to break through.

I would assume that the change carried over to killstreak overshields since I think it's the same object on the backend.

I wish they had been able to change the player coating to reflect the change though. Halo 2's OS went from white to red to standard yellow so you could tell which layer you were shooting through.

I was thinking that it might have been more, I personally think it's too much shielding but I will keep that in mind next time I see someone glowing green running at me with a scattershot.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Do the Community Cartographers have any problem with Green Screens being used on maps? I have two on mine merged into Coliseum Walls to create a level floor.

I'd have to play it. I really haven't seen it used on a map before so I wouldn't know.

Havok

I was thinking that it might have been more, I personally think it's too much shielding but I will keep that in mind next time I see someone glowing green running at me with a scattershot.
I could see why you'd have that opinion, depending on what you play primarily. It's probably overkill in Infinity Slayer, where you could potentially see a dozen in a single game. OS being stronger fits well in less chaotic (that is to say, not Infinity) modes as an on-map pickup because it provides significant pushing power for an entire team as a reward for timing the drop and getting the pickup. A 2x OS was important for a team before, but not as vital as it is now - you'd previously see OS nullified the instant it was picked up on maps like Dispatch with how strong melees are. It just doesn't fit everywhere though, which is a problem Personal Ordnance brings to the table.

Like I said though, I'm not certain Personal Ordnance OS was changed. I try to turn my brain off as much as I can when I'm playing Infinity variants so I don't go crazy.

I don't think the PO Overshield changed, and the OS on Abandon seems the same as it ever was. 2 AR users or 1 guy with a SAW will absolutely destroy anyone with it.

Tawpgun

Interesting article about halo 4 player population:

http://m.gamespot.com/news/6409214.html

Does this mean all the people saying the Halocharts graph isn't a good enough representation can shutup. So it seems the actual numbers have fallen as many people here have noticed, but it was already apparent without looking up numbers. It's anecdotal evidence, but myself and many others surely noticed a sort of exodus from Halo. Many of those who thought Reach fell short for a Halo game stuck around in hopes of 4, but once that was shown to be an even further departure from what they wanted, some of them outright left the franchise.

Even on GAF, the number of halogaffers who stopped playing 4 was very significant. Many of them long time hardcore halo fans. Many of my friends from real life and other communities also stopped playing... I wish the franchise could get back the support it had during Halo 3.... When the majority of my friends list was playing it even in 2010.

Also, the title of the article Halo 4 playtime fell below Halo: Reach despite more content

uhh... did they actually compare the content of both? Seems they were just assuming Halo 4 had more content.

They also said Spartan Ops was free DLC... no it wasn't.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does this mean all the people saying the Halocharts graph isn't a good enough representation can shutup. So it seems the actual numbers have fallen as many people here have noticed, but it was already apparent without looking up numbers. It's anecdotal evidence, but myself and many others surely noticed a sort of exodus from Halo. Many of those who thought Reach fell short for a Halo game stuck around in hopes of 4, but once that was shown to be an even further departure from what they wanted, some of them outright left the franchise.

Even on GAF, the number of halogaffers who stopped playing 4 was very significant. Many of them long time hardcore halo fans. Many of my friends from real life and other communities also stopped playing... I wish the franchise could get back the support it had during Halo 3.... When the majority of my friends list was playing it even in 2010.

Also, the title of the article Halo 4 playtime fell below Halo: Reach despite more content

uhh... did they actually compare the content of both? Seems they were just assuming Halo 4 had more content.

They also said Spartan Ops was free DLC... no it wasn't.

No one was arguing that the Halo 4 population has been dropping like crazy since launch. It's when people think that those numbers are total numbers or entirely representative of the population. So I'll still be shitting on HaloCharts.

-Over a dozen 4v4 games so far, and no sign of Haven in the voting options. :-/

As far as I'm aware they fucking took Haven out of IS. I literally haven't seen it in there in probably a month.

Edit: I actually checked, 3 weeks ago tomorrow will be the last time I played Haven in matchmaking, and I've been playing pretty regularly for the past month (and in IS most of the time).

maps mean shit when you have to play them in a special play list with it's own rules and game types, so more content or not a lot of people are getting fed up of the default maps, which mostly suck.

Halo 4 would have more life if the maps were freebies and you paid for weapon skins, IMO that would work better in this time of gaming with all it's micro transactions crap.

Tawpgun

As far as I'm aware they fucking took Haven out of IS. I literally haven't seen it in there in probably a month.

Edit: I actually checked, 3 weeks ago tomorrow will be the last time I played Haven in matchmaking, and I've been playing pretty regularly for the past month (and in IS most of the time).

It's there (and improved)

PS 343, make overshield have 2 layers please. It's been kinda poopy since Halo 3.

Fuchsdh

Anyone break down any of the podcast info? On a trip and can't download crap.

Also, OddOne make the next Halo 4 |OT| #ibelieve

It's there (and improved)

PS 343, make overshield have 2 layers please. It's been kinda poopy since Halo 3.
It's the Doubles version with different weapons, yes? Not sure how much I like the idea of a sword on that map, but it would be nice to have it pop up as a choice so I could actually tell. So far it's been all forge maps, Abandon (gross), and Adrift (snipers are actually a nice touch)

IHaveIce

Banned

3 games haven in a row for me right now. All JiP fuck dat

Purplemage

Neo Member
Holy shit that is amazing.

Yeah, gave one of the best shots I have on my friends list Damage boost and as we turned a corner on Adrift he pulled the quickest killtac I've ever seen. I attempted to help spray with the Carbine but he just blew 5 heads off in like two seconds.

Dude was pretty happy about it.

Top Bottom