• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

I disagree, I thought brutes were a pretty pathetic enemy even on legendary in Halo 3. There are so many of them in campaign because you simply roll over them so quickly.

Halo 2 and Reach brutes were better, because you couldn't so easily knock off their helmets; they at least required a few headshots instead of just one PP/Plasma rifle+headshot.

Having 4 elites charging you in Reach seemed much more frightening than that room full of Brutes in the 2nd level of Halo 2.
Brutes in Halo 2 were straight up bullet sponges.
Even using an energy sword requires 2-3 swings to kill each one on Legendary! You'd have to use heavy weaponry just to multi kill them or go for headshots only...

Their Berserk mode was and is still cool yet amusing.

Halo 3/ODST Brutes are okay but lacked their Berserk mode and were easier to kill with PP Charges. ODST made almost every weapon a scarcity to acquire in Legendary, therefore you'd have to be slick and skillful to take out multiple patrols of Covy packs consisting a variety of Brutes + Grunts, Brutes + Grunts + Jackals, Brutes + Engineer, etc.

Fuchsdh

I disagree, I thought brutes were a pretty pathetic enemy even on legendary in Halo 3. There are so many of them in campaign because you simply roll over them so quickly.

Halo 2 and Reach brutes were better, because you couldn't so easily knock off their helmets; they at least required a few headshots instead of just one PP/Plasma rifle+headshot.

Brutes shouldn't have been in Reach. They were really poorly handled and really easy to kill (hello, Needler!)

Doodis

We get hints that the Chief has been linked into the Domain somehow thanks to what the Librarian did. He can hear the Didact speaking when Cortana cannot. Then in the last few moments of the game we can hear Cortana whispering to the Chief even though she's not with him.
I believe Chief hearing the Didact's voice in his head has nothing to do with the domain, but rather the Librarian has imprinted chief with the Didact's memories, which we see two examples of in the second Bear novel with Chakas and Riser.

Flipyap

aCC5v.jpg

Petrichor

Having 4 elites charging you in Reach seemed much more frightening than that room full of Brutes in the 2nd level of Halo 2.

Bullet sponges... unless you landed your headshots. I think this was the intent.

Halo 3 brutes were a lot more fun to fight for me than Halo: Reach elites - the latter were rendered infinitely more difficult to fight because of the ease with which they dodge out of the way of DMR rounds, frustratingly so. Halo 3 brutes were challenging to fight because they were smart and strategic rather than just quick and irritating.

aries_71

I believe Chief hearing the Didact's voice in his head has nothing to do with the domain, but rather the Librarian has imprinted chief with the Didact's memories, which we see two examples of in the second Bear novel with Chakas and Riser.

It could be. But how do you explain that, even with the Cortana chip destroyed in the last level, you kept hearing her voice? It's not like it sounded as she was using the speakers from Didact's ship.

daedalius

Halo 3 brutes were a lot more fun to fight for me than Halo: Reach elites - the latter were rendered infinitely more difficult to fight because of the ease with which they dodge out of the way of DMR rounds, frustratingly so. Halo 3 brutes were challenging to fight because they were smart and strategic rather than just quick and irritating.

I guess I just always though Halo 3 brutes were dumb and easy :p

I don't know if I'd say they are ever really 'smart and strategic'.

I'm also one of the rare people that actually really enjoyed Halo 2's campaign (and especially its storytelling).

TheOddOne

I liked the Brutes in Halo 3. Specifically if they roam in packs, then they are hell of a lot of fun to fight against. Imagine Hammer Time Brute plus normal brutes, so unpredictable.

aries_71

what are the chances cortana is alive and will appear in halo 5?

At this point, nobody knows. I mean, the next main Halo could be three years from now. It depends of where 343 wants to take the story, and believe me, nobody but the writers know.
I personally find hard to believe that they gave Cortana such an end, just to return her back in the next game. It would seriously stink, since it's arleady been done in the first trilogy.

Still, through all of Halo 4 they gave several hints that there could be another copy of Cortana, but that these copies wouldn't be really her. "Conciousness" is a unique thing, and even if they can clone your basic form, it would lack your life experiences, emotions and knowledge that makes your consciousness unique. It would be a new Cortana, but it would never be the Cortana you knew.

aries_71

Does it? Imagine meeting her in the sequel.

"Cortana?! I thought you were dead!"
"Yeah, about that... I know I kind of made it sound like I was going to die, but I actually simply uploaded myself to the Forerunner internet. What's up, space dawg?"
"What about your rampancy? We need to get back to Halsey... AGAIN. Will you be all right 'til then?"
"Never been better! You can't imagine the wealth of LOLcats. Gagnam Style parodies...so much... so fast. It's glorious!"

It's not like they haven't done it before. Remember Sgt. Johnson? It went up in flames when the first Halo blew up.

aries_71

The difference here is that he wasn't even a character in the first game and his cutscene death was (literally) a joke.

Captain Keyes, Miranda Keyes, Guilty Spark 343 died too, and did not come back. I don't know if they were characters or not, but I'm pretty sure that once you die, you have less chances to reappear in a sequel than if you don't.

Still, it wouldn't make sense to kill a character such as Cortana, unless somebody in charge of 343 wants to take the story in a whole new direction. I'm not totallty satisfied with the ending.

Flipyap

Captain Keyes, Miranda Keyes, Guilty Spark 343 died too, and did not come back. I don't know if they were characters or not, but I'm pretty sure that once you die, you have less chances to reappear in a sequel than if you don't.
...whaaa? Weren't you just using Johnson as an example of death not being very meaningful in the Halo universe?
Johnson literally wasn't a character in Halo 1. He didn't exist. And I don't mean that in an "imaginary token black friend" way, "he" was just the generic sergeant NPC who likely died in every encounter, and then again in a jokey butt-fondly special ending cinematic. He only became a character later, once it became clear that this NPC's uncharacteristically well-defined personality became very popular. He never died, because he died all the time.

Oh, and about Guilty Spark... I may have bad news for you...

aries_71

...whaaa? Weren't you just using Johnson as an example of death not being very meaningful in the Halo universe?
Johnson literally wasn't a character in Halo 1. He didn't exist. And I don't mean that in an "imaginary token black friend" way, "he" was just the generic sergeant NPC who likely died in every encounter, and then again in a jokey butt-fondly special ending cinematic. He only became a character later, once it became clear that this NPC's uncharacteristically well-defined personality became very popular. He never died, because he died all the time.

Oh, and about Guilty Spark... I may have bad news for you...

Yes, that's what I meant. They could bring them back easily. Or they could not. We have seen them doing both things. But I certainly don't know what they will pull out of the hat in the next installment.

What do you know about Guilty? Please, indulge me :)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, that's what I meant. They could bring them back easily. Or they could not. We have seen them doing both things. But I certainly don't know what they will pull out of the hat in the next installment.

?? They've never brought a character back to life. At least not one that isn't a computer program. Johnson never died in Halo 1, a large number of people who greatly resembled him did.

monome

There is only one Guilty Spark.

And he has survived the events of Halo 3.

well, Primordium does a good job at making you believe otherwise.

A bit unhappy that GS did not show up in Halo 4.
I enjoy the books, but planning 3/4 years in advance to reintroduce a character in Halo 5 seems like overkill, if he shows up.

Didact introduction in Crytpum did him no good to become a great character in Halo 4.

There are certainly many twists and awesomeness to come, but I'm not as sold on the solidity of Halo's themes and representations under 343i as I was when I first read Cryptum.

Flipyap

There is only one Guilty Spark.

And he has survived the events of Halo 3.
The science team refers to the new one as a "duplicate", hopes it's "the last one" of that kind.

The Lord of Admirals says "There are many duplicates of command monitors".

The monitor himself talks about his "fragmented selves" performing different actions, calls the original trilogy's Spark "one of him", calls it "that monitor", is surprised by its actions.

So, what is there to suggest that there's only one of him?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The science team refers to the new one as a "duplicate", hopes it's "the last one" of that kind.

The Lord of Admirals says "There are many duplicates of command monitors".

The monitor himself talks about his "fragmented selves" performing different actions, calls the original trilogy's Spark "one of him", calls it "that monitor", is surprised by its actions.

So, what is there to suggest that there's only one of him?

Science team is assuming the original dead, hence why they think it's a duplicate. But really, a duplicate Spark just floating around the Ark wreckage? That's a huge co-incidence. Besides, he's distracting the science team while he preps to take over the ship.

The LOA is talking about command monitors such as Mendicant Bias. Guilty Spark and that are two completely different classes of machine.

Look at Cortana and BB fragmenting themselves for various purposes and needs. In the end there is only one Cortana, one BB and one Guilty Spark.

So multiple Didacts and multiple copies of Guilty Spark and a Librarian essence as opposed to her living form. This universe is losing any and all sense of grounding. Anything can be brought back from the dead, flash cloned, digitized or clothed in flesh or hard light. Makes it hard to keep track of and hard to care about, as there are no real stakes.

Science team is assuming the original dead, hence why they think it's a duplicate. But really, a duplicate Spark just floating around the Ark wreckage? That's a huge co-incidence. Besides, he's distracting the science team while he preps to take over the ship.

The LOA is talking about command monitors such as Mendicant Bias. Guilty Spark and that are two completely different classes of machine.

Look at Cortana and BB fragmenting themselves for various purposes and needs. In the end there is only one Cortana, one BB and one Guilty Spark.

Who says he's floating around the Ark wreckage? I don't recall reading that in Primordium.

Flipyap

As opposed to extracting the exact same monitor who is now convinced that he's a different monitor and is suddenly much more helpful, has new goals and is aware of his past life because you shot it in the "face"...?
Or are we simply not supposed to believe anything that's written in these books?

Who says he's floating around the Ark wreckage? I don't recall reading that in Primordium.
It comes from some cryptic "viral"/"ARG" info dumps, hidden inside bulletins.
http://www.halopedia.org/Eleventh_Hour_reports

Apparently you now need to read that bullshit to understand the books, which you need to read to fully understand the game. Cross media synergy, mother fuckers.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
So multiple Didacts and multiple copies of Guilty Spark and a Librarian essence as opposed to her living form. This universe is losing any and all sense of grounding. Anything can be brought back from the dead, flash cloned, digitized or clothed in flesh or hard light. Makes it hard to keep track of and hard to care about, as there are no real stakes.

According to Episode 4 of SpOps, Jul seems to think The Librarian is alive, and residing in some Forerunner gizmo.

Also, you see someone sending Halsey some messages on her tablet, I'm thinking The Librarian on GS.

I'll take all of this rather than DC's usage of Time traveling/Multi-Verse stories any day.

Found this Gem of a thread for Halo 4 Dialogue, here.

S1kkZ

agreed. its a fucking mess and because of that, people who dont follow the books/other tie-in media will be lost in all future halo games (in terms of story).

Clothed in flesh light?

aries_71

agreed. its a fucking mess and because of that, people who dont follow the books/other tie-in media will be lost in all future halo games (in terms of story).

I believe the biggest mess was introduced by Greg Bear with the geas/reincarnation/body evolution of the forerunners. I've read Cryptum, and I'll be damned if I understand anything on it. Let alone the Ur-Didact, Bornstellar-Didact conundrum.

As much as I liked Halo lore, I have to confess that now is a huge mess.

malfcn

So I started thinking more about the planet and got a little confused. The game takes place Inside Requiem on an artificial surface. They portal to inside the core to a 'satellite' that gets destroyed, and they portal back to the surface (inside the outer sell) right? Why didn't the core effect the surface? Or did I miss something?

And are the Covies referred to as Storm in the game or just a crazy faction.

...and 2 Didacts :p

According to Episode 4 of SpOps, Jul seems to think The Librarian is alive, and residing in some Forerunner gizmo.

Also, you see someone sending Halsey some messages on her tablet, I'm thinking The Librarian on GS.

The Librarian is most likely "in" the "Didact's Gift".

So I started thinking more about the planet and got a little confused. The game takes place Inside Requiem on an artificial surface. They portal to inside the core to a 'satellite' that gets destroyed, and they portal back to the surface (inside the outer sell) right? Why didn't the core effect the surface? Or did I miss something?

Destroying the inside of a planet wouldn't necessarily destroy the surface of it as well, it probably just destabilized it.

And are the Covies referred to as Storm in the game or just a crazy faction.
Storm splinter-faction.

So The Storm think that they have The Librarian living inside that relic that they have. It seems likely to be untrue but the story of Spartan Ops seems likely to hold at least one relatively large revelation to hint at where Halo 5 is going. Episode 5 is the last free episode right? Seems likely to contain a cliff hanger.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Librarian is most likely "in" the "Didact's Gift.
Why do you think this? Why would Didact put The Librarian AI in the Storm's hands so quick? Aren't they still ongoing with their search for the Librarian AI as tasked to them by the Didact? What would be the purpose of doing such?

So The Storm think that they have The Librarian living inside that relic that they have. It seems likely to be untrue but the story of Spartan Ops seems likely to hold at least one relatively large revelation to hint at where Halo 5 is going. Episode 5 is the last free episode right? Seems likely to contain a cliff hanger.
No. Spartan Ops is going to have 10 episodes.

To my speculation, the 1st layer (inside the outer shell) generates artificial gravity like Halos do. I don't know how, but the 1st Layer or 2nd (Outer) Core layer might generate a resisting gravity to stabilize it within the shield world, while the (Inner) Core layer generates gravity to maintain similar to the first. Geothermal Energy within both layers were 1 of the noticeable things the player may encounter in Campaign/SpOps.

343I - "F*ck U Science" :p

I had a similar theory. And glad to see this video. Thank you :)

Halsey has always been intrigued and involved with everything Forerunner.

The Artifact beneath ONI Swordbase on Reach.
The Time & Space Distortion Crystal.
ONYX.
And now this.. 343's ploy of making Halsey a war criminal, imo, just to introduce her involvements within the Reclaimer trilogy.

zlatko

Banned
Halsey is the best part of Reach's story...or well at least her journal was for the limited edition. Loved reading it!

Are the episodes after 5 still coming out each week and are paid DLC or not?

Honestly I can't justify the money for how poor the actual mission structure is, even though the story being told so far is brilliant. Odds are if it's paid I'll just watch the rest online.

Halsey is the best part of Reach's story...or well at least her journal was for the limited edition. Loved reading it!

Are the episodes after 5 still coming out each week and are paid DLC or not?

Honestly I can't justify the money for how poor the actual mission structure is, even though the story being told so far is brilliant. Odds are if it's paid I'll just watch the rest online.
The whole first season of Spartan Ops is available for free for Halo 4 owners.

Where did the whole 5 missions free misconception come from? The Achievement? Curious.

---

If the AI in the Didact's gift is a form of the Librarian, and Halsey gets her hands on it, then she will learn about what happened to John on Requiem, if she didn't know already, she may also learn the fate of Cortana.

Top Bottom