• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

FyreWulff

There isn't a file browser? I haven't had the chance to mess around with Forge yet. I assumed it would be bundled together. How are people sharing maps?

You follow someone and look at their maps

also right now this means you can literally see all of their maps, even works in progress, due to how they have it set up

gAg CruSh3r

Is anyone having a werid glitch where you can't grab group objects and you can't indicated it at all???

Edit: found out all the items are grouped -.- thank god I copied the item instead of moving it.

matthieuC

So what exactly happens when light map passes 100? Shadows become lighter? If so, I want to get to 100 so shadows on my map won't be so damn strong.

Also, turning off light bake on an object doesn't do anything? Is that a bug, or am I missing something?

Raide

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Resivore/video/13468323
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Resivore/video/13465450

I find the maps to be beautiful, but I can't figure out why. Somehow they don't suffer from the "everything was grey" texture issue, despite everything being grey.

The new lighting system can have a dramatic affect on maps. Even the most simplistically detailed map can look amazing with the correct lighting options. Also, a great map with poor use of lighting can just look annoying.

Speaking of lighting, I've been screwing around with settings for my Chiron successor and I've found a neat balance of fog, clouds and FX filters that make it look pretty good - the only thing I'm concerned about is whether using the Negative filter (e.g. red team turns cerulean, blue team turns crimson) would be too confusing for players, in which case I'd just use Juicy because it basically has the same effect. What I like about it, though, is that a lot of the sharper lighting settings (or rather lighting grazing detailed / sharp features) is that they become all aliased and pixelated, and - while that doesn't look too great in a typical map setting - it looks awesome for Chiron 2 because there's this constant Promethean Vision sort of effect washing over the mountains, on top of certain dedicated lights projecting pixellated halo effects. The majority of the map with normal / subdued lighting doesn't have the same problem, but in terms of the glitches / lighting artifacts it basically makes it look like you're using some kind of HAZMAT VISR system. The map's made out to be some weird welkin or Empyrean island of stability that the UNSC's appropriated out of Forerunner slipspace junctions.

Hell, I need to start giving people themes for their maps - I haven't gotten a whole lot done in the way of actual forging, but I sure as hell have a lot of themes and concepts already written up.

RowdyReverb

Speaking of lighting, I've been screwing around with settings for my Chiron successor and I've found a neat balance of fog, clouds and FX filters that make it look pretty good - the only thing I'm concerned about is whether using the Negative filter (e.g. red team turns cerulean, blue team turns crimson) would be too confusing for players, in which case I'd just use Juicy because it basically has the same effect. What I like about it, though, is that a lot of the sharper lighting settings (or rather lighting grazing detailed / sharp features) is that they become all aliased and pixelated, and - while that doesn't look too great in a typical map setting - it looks awesome for Chiron 2 because there's this constant Promethean Vision sort of effect washing over the mountains, on top of certain dedicated lights projecting pixellated halo effects. The majority of the map with normal / subdued lighting doesn't have the same problem, but in terms of the glitches / lighting artifacts it basically makes it look like you're using some kind of HAZMAT VISR system. The map's made out to be some weird welkin or Empyrean island of stability that the UNSC's appropriated out of Forerunner slipspace junctions.

Hell, I need to start giving people themes for their maps - I haven't gotten a whole lot done in the way of actual forging, but I sure as hell have a lot of themes and concepts already written up.
I'm really curious to see pics of what you're describing

I'm really curious to see pics of what you're describing

Using the Juicy filter:
ruqabWE.jpg

Example of a localized light giving off distorted halo effects:

And yet the teleporter's two lights are no worse for wear:

Same thing, inverted:

The artifacts are a little more extreme in Inverted compared to Juicy, though.

For the teleporters, they remain unaffected, albeit I'd have to invert the colors manually:

And then here's an example of the inversion in motion, causing the "scanning" effect.

BraXzy

I feel like some of the remakes I'm seeing, while well done and accurate to the source material, just won't work quite so well in practice. With sprint and everything, I think reimaginings/tweaked versions will end up working best but who knows, I could be wrong.

Raide

I feel like some of the remakes I'm seeing, while well done and accurate to the source material, just won't work quite so well in practice. With sprint and everything, I think reimaginings/tweaked versions will end up working best but who knows, I could be wrong.

Yeah, some maps just change a bit too much. It might change them dramatically for the good or bad.

I like the idea of a remake with a twist, mainly to accommodate the new mobility options. Or having maps inspired from classics.

The Longest Yard remake I made actually works really well with the new mobility options. Changing direction mid air is really cool. Leads to some fun almost trick jumps.

nillapuddin

I plan on doing remixes of my remakes, I really like the concept of taking the same shapes and geometry and changing the map flow

Raide

I plan on doing remixes of my remakes, I really like the concept of taking the same shapes and geometry and changing the map flow

One of my long term projects whenever Forge appears is to remake more Quake maps, specifically Quake 1 maps. I hope with the additions for the current Forge, I stand a better chance of remaking them accurately.

To help with this, I would like to see 343 adding some tools to make good curves.

Hell, every map could look like The Cage to me as long as they played differently. I'll probably end up having one 2v2 map and one 4v4 for every original / remix I have, and I can't really see myself making much larger maps. I have 4 maps planned for now, 3 4v4, 1 2v2 - so it'll be fun figuring out how to remix them effectively.

EDIT: Plus, more maps means I get to write more descriptions!

Noobcraft

I'm pretty much done with this. I'm not good enough at forge to know how to make it playable, but I'm happy with the aesthetics.

Currently named Dust

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Karl2177

Found a very odd bug today. The location volume label called "Pipes" doesn't appear on the player screen.

EDIT: so none of my cameras are working...

that hustle when you try to rebuild your scratch canvas and capture the essence of it in a clean version

Twiliiiight this is wildly off topic but since you expressed interest in the bones last week i am here to tell you that Xur is selling them. Dont want you to miss it again and im not sure if you saw my pm. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

On topic: forge is pretty cool and errr stuff

Karl2177

So I think I'm mostly finished up with the first pass on Intercession. Everything has been placed, and I believe it to be satisfactory. For some reason, I turned off all fog settings, but I'm still getting the snow effect. It doesn't bother me that much, tbh.

Known bugs/issues:
  • Intro/Outro cameras not working as expected
  • Pipes callout not appearing
  • Soft safe zone has no functionality
  • Other callouts may seem weird(Green Soda, since there's no Green Corner)
  • Reflections in areas that don't need to be reflecting.

Things I'm looking into during playtests:
  • Spawning
  • Weapon placement
  • Player flow

intercession-overview.png

Overview of the map.

intercession-overhead.png

Overhead view of the map.

intercession-red.png

Red base.

intercession-rocket.png

Middle structure with SPNKr.

intercession-green.png

Side base(Green in this case).

inercession-midplusbridge.png

Middle structure plus the bridge from the "porch" area.

Computron

(0,0,0) is an interesting coordinate.

In terms of lighting, that is.

All the reflective surfaces like glass get lighting from a cube map generated from that point.

You can do some interesting tricks across your entire map by manipulating the lighting near that point.

SaganIsGOAT

(0,0,0) is an interesting coordinate.

In terms of lighting, that is.

All the reflective surfaces like glass get lighting from a cube map generated from that point.

You can do some interesting tricks across your entire map by manipulating the lighting near that point.

Pics?

and that map looks good Karl

Computron

Pics?

and that map looks good Karl

i just made all west facing indirect lighting (that means the color of the parts of the map that are in shadow or outside of direct sunlight) on my map purple by placing down one purple colored wall to the west of coordinate (0,0,0).

lovely. now anytime my gun is pointed to the west it looks like a covenant AR.

i reaaaallllly wish i had realized this sooner. like before I made half my map with around a somewhat inconvenient origin coordinate.

BraXzy

Is there a way to set rotation to move-axis object instead of world?

You can do it with movement, you press down on the D-Pad while holding LT, but holding down in rotate mode is rotation reset.

Computron

What does? Am I missing an image on mobile? :L

just do it yourself in forge. taking screenshots on xbox takes forever to get uploaded for some reason for me.

this means you could color the sides of your entire map, red side and a blue side (or any arbitrary coloring you want) by just placing down 2 very specific blocks in 2 very specific spots.

BraXzy

just do it yourself in forge. taking screenshots on xbox takes forever to get uploaded for some reason for me.

this means you could color the sides of your entire map, red side and a blue side (or any arbitrary coloring you want) by just placing down 2 very specific blocks in 2 very specific spots.

Ohh, I missed your previous post. I'll have a look into that, sounds really cool!

Computron

for sake of illustration, i will borrow karls last picture:

inercession-midplusbridge.png

^^^
You know that red reflecftion you see in the dark metallic ground piece there?

it does't really make sense to see that in the map right? From the ground floor where you are going to be playing the map, the red sky is is going to be obscured by the blue ice walls, so you should instead see blue reflections from the angles you are going to play from. You should probably only see a little bit of the red sky in the reflections and only when you are looking down at a steeper angle.

Well you could change it easily, but for the entire map!

the reason its red there is because there is something red visible in the same direction relative to the origin coordinate. you put something blue there to block it and then you have the entire map reflecting the blue ice, for example. Whatever is around the origin coordinates determines the color and intensity of all the indirect lighting in your map.

BraXzy

I wish things would move like a group in multi select. So many times I've grabbed a bunch of stuff and move it and something shifts. I can't think of a reason when you'd want them to move independently?

Computron

this explains why some people have said that they were just forging along when they hit the rebake lighting button and the lighting all of the sudden changes to complete nonsense. they likely simpy put some pieces near (0,0,0) which changed the colors near that area and when it came time to rebake, that color got picked up across the entire map.

my advice would be to take this into consideration whenever you guys want to make another map, because you could do some cool things with that.

matthieuC

I wish things would move like a group in multi select. So many times I've grabbed a bunch of stuff and move it and something shifts. I can't think of a reason when you'd want them to move independently?
I has this problem too. After you select the objects, press X to go to properties and then say create group. Then you can rotate them as a whole.

Computron

holy shit, guys.

put a small cube around the origin of your map. make one wall green, another wall blue, and another wall red and make sure all the walls surrounding the origin are bright (use a high intensity point light).

Rebake the lighting and and enjoy running around your entirely rainbow colored map.

Vico

holy shit, guys.

put a small cube around the origin of your map. make one wall green, another wall blue, and another wall red and make sure all the walls surrounding the origin are bright (use a high intensity point light).

Rebake the lighting and and enjoy running around your entirely rainbow colored map.

Damn, I really want to see it in motion (I can't see it by myself until the next week).

BraXzy

I accidentally set the physics of the entire group I was moving to Normal. Let go, watched as my creation literally fell apart before my eyes.

wwm0nkey

holy shit, guys.

Pics

Computron

hang em high seems to play well with halo 5.

Its now a decent smallish map for 2v2 almost.

All the routes are now short circuited, but I think thats part of what will make it interesting.

Top Bottom