• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

RoKKeR

Two Words.

Duck. Hunt.

I see your Duck Hunt, and raise you Jenga.

TheTowerOfftheCliff-1.jpg

Just imagine this with some scripting!

Didn't literally hate it, but I disliked not being able to flesh it out as much as I would and then it taking off before I could fix it. I put an updated version out sometime after the first one, but as Fyrewulff said, the transition kinda cut its lifespan in half.

I recently went back to the drawing board to try and reinvision it. This was some previz I was doing for another map that was kind of a successor. Jackal Creek took the "two bases in a field" concept from Timberlands and condensed it, so the trick has been to reinvent that with interesting gameplay dynamics. I'm no Sparth, but this helps me to visualize the kind of mood I want to take something before I put the blocks down.

4Cbnigw.jpg

4vqEzvJ.jpg

Looking forward to elaborating on this more before December.

So....why aren't you working for 343 again?

Almost forgot another important question:

tumblr_mkrqgjAlIy1snuv0ro4_1280.jpg

Are there any unique trees like these, or are they all just the same pine tree, palm tree stuff we've had in the past?

Game really could use some thicker trees, especially larger ones than those.

NOKYARD

Wait.

I can move an entire map from one canvas to another?
Apparently. They said it could be done but our dev boxes had many features disabled so i can't describe the process. Expect more Forge features before launch.

I saw them group and then move but did they actually show copy for the entire group?
The didn't show it, but it's a single button press.

NOKYARD there are black and grey terrain pieces in the space canvas, whats up with that?
I didn't get to see the Space map outside of nightly tests since the forger working on it was across the table from me. I never found the time to look over his shoulder. I believe they are like asteroids. You can sawn snow terrain on the space map if you want to.

Almost forgot another important question:

tumblr_mkrqgjAlIy1snuv0ro4_1280.jpg

Are there any unique trees like these, or are they all just the same pine tree, palm tree stuff we've had in the past?

Game really could use some thicker trees, especially larger ones than those.
The tree palette was sparse but not representative of the final product.

Keep in mind that they can add new assets in future CUs. If the community absolutely needs that tree, they may be able to add it to the inventory at a later date.

The tree palette was sparse but not representative of the final product.

Keep in mind that they can add new assets in future CUs. If the community absolutely needs that tree, they may be able to add it to the inventory at a later date.

I really hope so. Need some large unique trees like these.

guardian.jpg

NOKYARD

Wait.

I can move an entire map from one canvas to another?
I just checked. There is no indication that you can do this in the actual game.

I may have been confused when they were explaining how you could place Glacier terrain on Alpine, and i thought they meant forge structures, not terrain pieces.

Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

I just checked. There is no indication that you can do this in the actual game.

I may have been confused when they were explaining how you could place Glacier terrain on Alpine, and i thought they meant forge structures, not terrain pieces.

Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

I want to believe

But either way, I'm sure building maps will be much faster than before. Just a matter of how well they'll run with all of these new features available now.

Random17

Wait, if objects can move and rotate synchronously, couldn't you theoretically create some form of super complicated mechanical/gear system?

Raide

Wait, if objects can move and rotate synchronously, couldn't you theoretically create some form of super complicated mechanical/gear system?

I have no idea if that is a thing or not. No idea if we can path objects like lifts etc. I get the feeling they won't let us script really crazy things but I live in hope!

I want to believe

But either way, I'm sure building maps will be much faster than before. Just a matter of how well they'll run with all of these new features available now.

I wonder if they have sorted out the performance issues when you put too many objects in one area or not. I am guessing the grouping/welding of objects is still all the separate pieces and not making 1 solid prefab item....wait, that's what I want! Build an object and save it as my own set of prefabs.

Yes, I guess so.

I hope 343 put a lot of effort into map competitions/playlists. A couple of Forge playlists would be lovely - small-team/big-team.

I've not done anything remotely creative in a game since Project Spark last autumn, so I'm tempted to make something on this.

Homeboyd

Man I hope they have an actual Vidoc on this. The teaser vid was great, but I want to see something like Bungie did with the Forge World reveal. Just go IN on the deets. Show some stuff that's been built by the studio using the new tools/scripting etc.

I know Nok mentioned some stuff was coming...

matthieuC

Man I hope they have an actual Vidoc on this. The teaser vid was great, but I want to see something like Bungie did with the Forge World reveal. Just go IN on the deets. Show some stuff that's been built by the studio using the new tools/scripting etc.

I know Nok mentioned some stuff was coming...
Forge World ViDoc was sooooo good. I watched it so many times.

Mine01

Forge sounds awesome.. tough i have one question, a player like me who doesnt forge, is there a way to play on forged map? a playlist or something like that, or the only way is in custom games on gaf, or something like that?

Christof

Neo Member
So what is the summary of mcc forge? Seemed like it never got any steam even though it appeared to be fairly good iteration. was that just because the game was broken for so long? Was it also because mcc didnt have the surrounding excitement of a main line sequel?

So what is the summary of mcc forge? Seemed like it never got any steam even though it appeared to be fairly good iteration. was that just because the game was broken for so long? Was it also because mcc didnt have the surrounding excitement of a main line sequel?

No real file browsers and file share implemented, custos are also shit because no join in progress... so ded.

BUT now we get forge 5.0 and MAYBE an actual ingame file browser and file shares in December.

Homeboyd

Forge World ViDoc was sooooo good. I watched it so many times.
You and me both man.

Forge sounds awesome.. tough i have one question, a player like me who doesnt forge, is there a way to play on forged map? a playlist or something like that, or the only way is in custom games on gaf, or something like that?
We're not really sure what the plan is for Forge maps in matchmaking. In the past there have been "community creations" playlists featuring only maps made by the community in Forge, but there's also been a lot of Forge maps make it into regular playlist rotations (slayer, objective, etc). File shares were a great way to DL popular maps around the community but, again, we don't really know what the plan is for file share in H5 (or maybe just I don't know what the plan is). Custom games is a definite way to play these maps and I'm sure GAF and plenty of other communities will be hosting these regularly now.

Community has been screaming for a Custom Games Browser for years now. If 343 added that to H5... megaton of the millennium.

solis74

not talked about I don't think?

Looking forward to seeing the different times of day on these palettes. Have an idea for a map but it needs the right atmosphere to sell its design. Something in the vein of this aesthetically:

80649.jpg

F8xfCua.png

Zeta Oni

Thoughts?

CQ4l5KiWEAAJIQS.jpg

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Chief helmet to be Hololens since not only does Microsoft own that, but the Chiefs helmet is already an AR-esque display in the games?

Not to mention the marketing appeal of "Halo 6: Halolens Deluxe Edition."

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Community has been screaming for a Custom Games Browser for years now. If 343 added that to H5... megaton of the millennium.

There really should be three different multiplayer modes: Arena (focused, competitive game modes), Warzone, and Social (featuring custom games browser with Forge maps and game modes). Social should just be one mode where any game type is game, but with a voting system just for it.

Raide

Terrain shaping stuff should hopefully lead to way more interesting ground options for maps. Should also be great for the ForgeGAF members who like to make BTB maps etc.

Really hope they have an expanded VIDOC for Forge. Also some more in-depth stuff on the new scripting would be ace.

Vico

Dam, these gifs are so so good.
Projected terrain is impressive for sure. Also, didn't know we could add fire, smoke and all - just great.

Raide

Projected terrain is impressive for sure. Also, didn't know we could add fire, smoke and all - just great.

I am hoping they let us add fog effects, water effects (Rain maybe?) or even snow. Just more things to spice up the variety in levels!

NOKYARD

Lots more FX than just those.

I am hoping they let us add fog effects, water effects (Rain maybe?) or even snow. Just more things to spice up the variety in levels!
So far, only fog. But you can make it fall straight down.

terrain shaping looks legit.
It is, but you are not actually shaping the environment. You are selecting the correct piece from an expansive collection of terrain pieces, and melding them together.

The only thing which bugs me about those gifs is they make it look like you still need to be holding the object to move it. You can select and move objects so it appears as if they are being grabbed, but your camera can be focused anywhere while moving the object.

Raide

Have they got rid of the pointless Graphics Effect objects like the Black & White options. Such a waste of time unless they do something a bit more interesting with it.

Personally drop the pointless stuff and make the lighting options enough to make varied parts of maps.

NOKYARD

Have they got rid of the pointless Graphics Effect objects like the Black & White options. Such a waste of time unless they do something a bit more interesting with it.

Personally drop the pointless stuff and make the lighting options enough to make varied parts of maps.

Not sure about global FX other than fog.

You will not be disappointed with the lighting options.

FyreWulff

Those were super easy to do in Halo 3 / Reach / 4, which is why they were there. It's basically a level-wide shader-effect-area you're in.

It was added in later Halo 3 DLC maps because people were glitching into those effects for screenshots, so Bungie decided to make it a lot easier.

I submitted an Infection map for Reach with the black and white filter on it, but it was removed when it debuted in matchmaking.

Another Infection map submitted retained it's Juicy filter for matchmaking. So they did actually get used, but since they could affect visibility it was super corner case for any maps that used them.

Raide

Not sure about global FX other than fog.

You will not be disappointed with the lighting options.

I think the advanced lighting options will breath way more variety into maps. Being able to build shadowy nooks and brightly lit spaces is what I am looking forward to. I am sure there will be some interesting lighting tricks to play with as well.

Do we know if the lighting can be linked to scripting? Like forcing a black-out or changing things as a round progresses?

Top Bottom