• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

Hits a good number of my previous complaints about forge (group selection/copying, lights that can be baked, highly customizable object colors) but I'm still disappointed that there isn't any terrain sculpting. With the terrain objects you can't be as accurate as you could be with heightmap editing. Can't win them all, I guess.

However, it does look like a very huge upgrade like Frankie said. 1600+ objects was certainly unexpected, as well. Looking forward to jumping in an creating some stuff this December!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This Forge would be awesome with the Firefight game mode.

343i pls.

It's not like Firefight couldn't be added later. =D

I feel much hope when it comes to the direction that 343 is taking Halo. Also, if it takes a delay in theater mode to have a full fledged theater mode built for co-op with all modes (including campaign) in mind then I will gladly wait a month or two.

They could have added 1/4 of this stuff, and I would have been beyond excited. As someone that has put hundreds of hours into Forge, reading this article made me shake my head in disbelief. I can't believe it's all happening!

That said, whenever I put my heart and soul into a Forge creation, and it sits on my HDD unlooked at, unplayed, and unappreciated, it hurts a little. I want to easily share my creations with the world!

They could have added 1/4 of this stuff, and I would have been beyond excited. As someone that has put hundreds of hours into Forge, reading this article made me shake my head in disbelief. I can't believe it's all happening!

That said, whenever I put my heart and soul into a Forge creation, and it sits on my HDD unlooked at, unplayed, and unappreciated, it hurts a little. I want to easily share my creations with the world!

you should probably join forgehub or something ヾ(´∀`)ノ

Raide

I wonder if we will get a sand based Forge map?

Would be great to have a video showing off the new lighting etc. 1min video talking about Forge seems like an afterthought when everything else gets nice long Sprint episodes :(

Madness

Man the biggest reveal in this thread is the Zoba one... holy shit

That's only because he changed his name. Otherwise I distinctly remember Zoba posting in HaloGAF threads as 3 legged goat before. It just never dawned on me either because your old threads and posts change except for the quotes from others.

Sort of like Stinkles name before was OuterWorldVoice.

Raide

lol

Has most of the old Halo crew from H3-Reach days moved to GAF now then? I haven't done anything Forge or Halo related in a while. Been waiting for this megaton to drop.

ForgeGAF briefly got together during Halo 4 but its was such a mediocre update to Forge, everything died off very quickly. Hopefully, with Halo 5 the community will be up and running again!

IHaveIce

Banned
That's only because he changed his name. Otherwise I distinctly remember Zoba posting in HaloGAF threads as 3 legged goat before. It just never dawned on me either because your old threads and posts change except for the quotes from others.

Sort of like Stinkles name before was OuterWorldVoice.
I remember him posting under his old tag in Halogaf but it never dawned on me that one of destinygaf's mvps is him
lol

Has most of the old Halo crew from H3-Reach days moved to GAF now then? I haven't done anything Forge or Halo related in a while. Been waiting for this megaton to drop.
Man I remember reading a lot in your Bungie.net threads.
I mean I had never such an well known name in the communities, but I remember playing Reach with you and I think Moa was there aswell.

Though that was still under my old tag I think

ForgeGAF briefly got together during Halo 4 but its was such a mediocre update to Forge, everything died off very quickly. Hopefully, with Halo 5 the community will be up and running again!

No kidding. I know I must have done something in Forge for H4 but I don't even remember it. Ugh, I was so disappointed.

I know nobody remembers me from the H3 days but I remember mostly playing with you Raide, and a couple other GAF people that I haven't seen much of recently.

I remember him posting under his old tag in Halogaf but it never dawned on me that one of destinygaf's mvps is him

I mean I had never such an well known name in the communities, but I remember playing Reach with you and I think Moa was there aswell.

No kidding. I know I must have done something in Forge for H4 but I don't even remember it. Ugh, I was so disappointed.

I know nobody remembers me from the H3 days but I remember mostly playing with you Raide, and a couple other GAF people that I haven't seen much of recently.

Mhmm definitely did a bunch of customs with Moa and even 343 a few times. Died down during the later years of H4 and I didn't see it anywhere for MCC, so just fell out of it.

Who is doing the Forge OT? I only remember the one GP made a while ago. Will there be a new one with updated links?

Random17

Should we do a full head count of BNET posters in preparation for Halo 5? Some people have changed names.

It just dawned on me that we might be able to pull off a map that looks like this.
aiCjKvI.jpg

Maybe not in the actual textures, but shapes and color contrast are no longer a thing of fantasy.
Yup, I'm looking forward to a great remake of Damnation.
Should we do a full head count of BNET posters in preparation for Halo 5? Some people have changed names.
RIP BNET, although some of the discussions from back then still hurt today.

343 is answering many of my 2007 prayers.

Yup, I'm looking forward to a great remake of Damnation.

I was there when that giant AR/BR thread for Halo 3 went up. sigh

At this point i just want to chill and enjoy Halo again. Count me in for some GAF custom lobbies.

Random17

I enjoyed those weekly armor lock threads.
jk
I wonder where Roach is...

I'm no Forger, but all this sounds amazing. However, my 2007 prayer for Forge is adding AI, like the script editors of Operation Flashpoint and the Arma series. Obviously no where near as complex, but the simple addition of AI along with basic commands would be amazing, especially if you could create custom scenarios.

I'd become a Forger overnight if that was the case. Forge is mostly dedicated to customs/multiplayer, but AI in Forge would change that. It would be like a crowd sourced Spartan Ops/mini campaign.

I actually have virtually zero interest in remakes - I can't wait to see unique game/map combos, and maps designed for Arena. The moveset is so different, most old school maps won't really work that great I don't think.

I've already started jotting down ideas for maps on my way to work. :D

December is a bummer but whatever really. H5 is shaping to be the best Halo to date, I haven't been this excited for a game in quite sometime.

Akai__

Could Firefight be made in this new Forge?!

Nope and there's a coupple reasons as to why 343i won't allow you to spawn AI on custom made maps.

For that to happen you'd need a Firefight Gametype and Editor, where you can set rounds, waves and which enemies will spawn. Similiar to the Halo Reach Firefight Editor.

You'd also need an AI pathing tool, since AI wouldn't know where to walk onto the custom made map, which would result into AI standing still or running against walls/obstacles (as shown in Halo 3 Forge mods).

i'm still bummed about the lack of Firefight or even Spartan Ops. Score Attack was a great way to warm up or wind down in Reach and I still had a good time going through the later episodes of Spartan Ops between Forging. I don't think Warzone will scratch the same itch because it's primarily PvP.

Wouldn't mind seeing a PvE-spinoff title from 343 in the vein of ODST sometime soon, but I don't think this game will be lacking in much of anything when it comes to its PvP offerings. Halo (when it works) has always excelled at that in the console space.

Forgers had just began experimenting with mini games and scripting during H4 and H2A, so I can only imagine what kind of things we'll be seeing in January. The Infection community seems especially excited to Forge what with the custom intros and weather effects they have access to now.

Madness

inb4 Forge releases December 29th
kappa.png

Hopefully it doesn't become Soon™

Rereading some of the wording and also what Frank said, I'm wondering if it coming in December was a consequence of game development ie. Not enough time/resources could be devoted and so they decide to hold it off until it is properly finished and Warzone/Arena/Breakout remained the MP team focus just like BTB put on backburner, or if it's part of their post launch sustain, keep adding features to try and keep longevity around. By December you're going to see a drop off in players, so what better than to highlight the new and drastically improved Forge as a download especially with how they've worded it as a free service they'll continually improve/update.

j0shcon123

Neo Member

Not a bad idea, I'd love to see who is still around from the B.net days, I remember the pre-Halo 3 days and then the 3/Reach days

My tag was 'Halo 2 K1ng' in case anyone remembers me from back then

Akai__

Wouldn't mind seeing a PvE-spinoff title from 343 in the vein of ODST sometime soon though.

2019, when ODST gets remastered. lol

But thinking about it:

2016 Halo Wars 2
2017 I'm not seeing a H3 remastered happening. Maybe Blur cutscenes and that's it.
2018 Halo 6
2019 ???
etc.

solis74

Halo 5 has a singleplayer campaign that is apparently twice as long as Halo 4's (which takes 8 hours on average.)

So that's a campaign that is at least 10 hours if we're talking super conservatively.

Then it has Arena multiplayer which will have a wide assortment of playlists as well as Weekend Social playlists that offer new modes to play in matchmaking every weekend, as voted on by the community.

Then it has Warzone which is totally new to the series and is 12 versus 12 on the biggest maps ever seen in a Halo game, and introduces player vs. player vs. covenant/AI enemies in one mode for the first time.

On top of that, you can play Custom Games on the maps the game comes with, which is fun enough on its own. Swords on Truth, Snipers on Empire, Hammers on Fathom, etc.

Of course you can also tweak way more than just the starting weapons, including the player traits and the way the mode you choose works (Infection where the survivors have swords instead of shotguns.

You can also watch your friends' matches while they happen with live spectator mode, and Theater returns to let you watch and save clips from your past matches.

In addition, many people consider the new REQ system a feature. Play matches, get points, and use them to unlock new weapons and vehicles to use in Warzone as well as cool cosmetic stuff like armor and weapon skins that are available in every mode of the game.

It may have a shorter bulleted list of features at launch than previous games, but the campaign is way longer, the matchmaking multiplayer more robust, and the game is getting tons of free content post-launch. Not counting Forge and BTB which I classify as features I expect from a new Halo game, there's 15 new maps coming between launch and June, as well as frequent updates that will add new REQ items to the REQ system.

Some multiplayer games come out for $60 and all you can do in them is play online matchmaking. Halo 5 still offers significantly more than your average game.

PRE-ORDER... DONE DONE AND DONE :)

Random17

2019, when ODST gets remastered. lol

But thinking about it:

2016 Halo Wars 2
2017 I'm not seeing a H3 remastered happening. Maybe Blur cutscenes and that's it.
2018 Halo 6
2019 ???
etc.

It is actually possible to see Halo 3 Anniversary as DLC for MCC in 2017. I doubt the market has stomach for another Halo remake.

I'd much rather 343i take an off year and focus on Halo 6. I'd value more features in a new Halo game over another remake. No more standalone remakes, please.

Raide

Yeah, was really deflated with Halo 4. I wanted to pour 100's of hours in again, instead I dropped 20 or 30 and moved on. H3 was such a great time making stuff. Really felt like great stuff was being made and tested all the time.

Really loving the changes for Halo 5, so hopefully that brings the ForgeGAF spirit back again.. :D

Akai__

It is actually possible to see Halo 3 Anniversary as DLC for MCC in 2017. I doubt the market has stomach for another Halo remake.

I'd much rather 343i take an off year and focus on Halo 6. I'd value more features in a new Halo game over another remake. No more standalone remakes, please.

I think the same way, but 343i wouldn't be the one working on the potential remaster either way. It would probably be Saber Interactive again, who handled the remastered campaigns for HCE:A and H2:A. Same situation for Halo Wars 2, which I personally can't wait for. The game is being made by Creative Assembly in cooperation with some 343i peeps, which are not required to work onto Halo 5.

As you said. Remasters should come to an end now. We should see new games. How else should we get ODST 2 or something entirely new? :p

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm literally begging for a H3A.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't have outsourced remakes like we have with HCE and H2 AND new titles. They don't detract resources from new games. It's not like it's "well it's ODST2 or H3A" pick.

Let's have both

I miss the Reach Forge world, but I'm sure we can still count on the community for some amazing maps. Hopefully there isn't anymore Forge level lag like Halo 4 or Halo reach(under reasonable loads that is).

I haven't even watched the video but December release?

That's some god damn bullshit. The game is seriously lacking in features.

Edit: I mean relative to past Halo games.

oh

so just dumb post then

well carry on
Seem's like a logical post to me. The game has been pared back compared to Halo 3 and Reach significantly. Comparing Halo 5 to other non-halo shooters without aknowleding everything Halo 3/Reach did is doing a disservice to the series. Like them removing Firefight and going with spartan ops and now Warzone I can understand despite preferring FF.

Delaying BTB, delaying forge, removing splitscreen and not bothering to work with Microsoft to enable offline LAN is 3 major downsides to this game. Especially the last point. Halo LAN matches to me is the foundation of the Halo series multiplayer. Without it, Halo 2 online MP wouldn't have been what it was. I personally believe the series wouldn't continue to exist as it does if Splitscreen+LAN support wasn't in the first game. 343 has already proven themselves incompetent by not having offline support in MCC. Not being able to have an offline LAN party is one thing, but not being to have a tournament because Live is down or because a connection bugged out is a bigger issue.

Raide

I hope they have something to show off the new Scripting possibilities. Its about time we could make opening/closing doors. Ramps that raise and lower also. It was great to see the community come up with inventive ways to make lifts etc but it should not be so clunky.

Karl2177

I hope they have something to show off the new Scripting possibilities. Its about time we could make opening/closing doors. Ramps that raise and lower also. It was great to see the community come up with inventive ways to make lifts etc but it should not be so clunky.
Doors... As cool as the idea is, it never works out.

Raide

The fact they had 1 animated door that people used to push blocks to be other doors is genius. Way too much effort but genius.

Just a door prefab that opens if you get close or one you can script to open/close with a switch. Prefabs have been used in level editors for years and Halo 5 should make full use of them in order to make interesting and varied looking/playing maps.

I think a lot of it hinges on how fast we can get these items to move - or despawn, anyway. I could see some interesting trickery employed using windows, invisible walls, door animations and "trigger volumes," etc. that could give you situations where they'd actually be useful. Toggling between "can enter but can't shoot" like a shield door and "can't enter but can shoot" like a map barrier and whatnot. As long as we don't end up with another situation like Gemini I don't think it's totally impossible something good will come out of it.

Raide

I think a lot of it hinges on how fast we can get these items to move - or despawn, anyway. I could see some interesting trickery employed using windows, invisible walls, door animations and "trigger volumes," etc. that could give you situations where they'd actually be useful. Toggling between "can enter but can't shoot" like a shield door and "can't enter but can shoot" like a map barrier and whatnot. As long as we don't end up with another situation like Gemini I don't think it's totally impossible something good will come out of it.

The thing I love about Forge is seeing what people come up with. Some people make level flow really well, some make amazing BTB maps, others make small but detailed parts of maps. Really hyped to see what comes from Halo 5.

Shame its December and the OT will be months off. :(

Welfare

I'm literally begging for a H3A.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't have outsourced remakes like we have with HCE and H2 AND new titles. They don't detract resources from new games. It's not like it's "well it's ODST2 or H3A" pick.

Let's have both

There is actually no reason for H3A to even exist. H3 already got the 1080p 60fps treatment and is already an HD game. What's next, Halo 4A?

NOKYARD

Thanks for all the deets Nok!
No problem. Wish i was free to say more. The megaton has dropped but there is still much more to see.

I wonder if we will get a sand based Forge map?

Would be great to have a video showing off the new lighting etc. 1min video talking about Forge seems like an afterthought when everything else gets nice long Sprint episodes :(
There will be more Forge features before the December launch.

Could Firefight be made in this new Forge?!
Sorry, no AI in Forge.

Hopefully it doesn't become Soon™

Rereading some of the wording and also what Frank said, I'm wondering if it coming in December was a consequence of game development ie. Not enough time/resources could be devoted and so they decide to hold it off until it is properly finished and Warzone/Arena/Breakout remained the MP team focus just like BTB put on backburner, or if it's part of their post launch sustain, keep adding features to try and keep longevity around. By December you're going to see a drop off in players, so what better than to highlight the new and drastically improved Forge as a download especially with how they've worded it as a free service they'll continually improve/update.
You can speculate all you want but for every game made there is a deadline shortly before going Gold where all dev teams are instructed to choose which unfinished/unpolished features to cut. I assume this team said "None of them". So they were likely pushed back to the first available CU.

I applaud their decision to stand up to critics and ship Forge exactly as they had envisioned.

Also, the Cartographers may have set them back a few weeks with our feature requests so we may be partly to blame.

Doors will work exactly as intended. Scripting now has many movement options possibly including timers, and rotational axises. It's a huge step forward. We saw things.

Raide

There will be more Forge features before the December launch.

Doors will work exactly as intended. Scripting now has many movement options possibly including timers, and rotational axises. It's a huge step forward. We saw things.

Great to hear. To be honest, I am ok with December now if I know that actual Forge users are working on it. That's why the Halo 4 version fell flat. They just made do with a few different tweaks and repackaged it.

How many Beaver Creek remakes do I have to make to get in on the testing or has that all finished?

Nokyard, please tell me there is Light Bridges, which you can turn off/on. Please.

I was thinking about this earlier: honestly, if we can use those Ice Bridges on any map, we'd just have to adjust the tint and metallic settings and maybe change the tertiary color to white and we could easily replicate that aesthetic.

Raide

I was thinking about this earlier: honestly, if we can use those Ice Bridges on any map, we'd just have to adjust the tint and metallic settings and maybe change the tertiary color to white and we could easily replicate that aesthetic.

I am glad you can use every object on every map. I always thought it was a dumb choice to have objects restricted to maps.

Hopefully the scripting leads to interesting inventions.

SaganIsGOAT

Nokyard, please tell me there is Light Bridges, which you can turn off/on. Please.

Holy shit the dream multiplayer map of the first light bridge area in Halo CE after going into the not natural formation tunnel.

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Top Bottom