• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

RoKKeR

Just finished reading the article, sounds like they are doing all the right things. The beta tells me they are also doing them too... very excited.

Fall of Reach was a surprisingly good book as well, fun read.

Better than it has any right to be, tbpf; video game novels aren't supposed to be that good, lol. Probably has something to do with the total disconnect between Nylund and Bungie.

EDIT: By the by, here's a more detailed writeup of the article for those who won't/can't/haven't bought the issue.

So do we have confirmation about whether two-player splitscreen will exist for multiplayer? I saw the tweet from a while back, but do we know if that's still the case?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ! Those details in the OP are powerful stuff.

-Ryn

Banned
No it doesn't because we really don't know if GEN 2 would have the same effects on a Spartan II that it would have on a Spartan IV. The whole purpose for GEN 2 was to compensate for the the IV's not undergoing augmentations as extensive as the previous generations of Spartans. If a II is put in it then it essentially means nothing considering the armor is only supposed to boost physical stats to the point where the Spartan is on par with a Spartan II.

The only II's left are Naomi and the ones from Blue Team and they're not in the IV program. Red Team could still be alive, but seeing as they're MIA (last seen drifting aboard the SoF) it's clearly evident they're not in the Spartan IV program.

And Chief's armor isn't GEN 2 nor is the rest of Blue Teams. That's evident from the new information we got today where it was said that Locke's team has armor more advanced than that of Blue Teams.
We have no reason to believe that they wouldn't.

If the Gen II armor boosts the abilities of a Spartan IV to be comparable to that of a Spartan II then it is logical to assume that they could boost the abilities of a Spartan II as well or at the very least keep them on a level playing field whilst having better tech. Especially given that ONI would be conscripting remaining II's into the program anyway, they would've wanted them to be just as effective in the field.

There's also the Mark VII armor variant to consider, but we don't actually know enough about that variant to properly analyze and compare it.

That aside though, the IV's advantage is in their better tech. Saying that a IV could beat a II as long as the II is wearing inferior armor doesn't hold much (or as much) meaning as it is handicapping the II. At least that's my reasoning. At the end of the day though Asyris is wearing more advance tech than Blue so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

It feels like Halo is being crushed by the weight of it's lore. The first game was some pulpy space adventure, but after that the franchise began to take itself way too seriously.
On the one hand, the first book of the Forerunner trilogy was damn near unreadable nonsense. On the other hand Nightfall was pretty horrible and never seemed to even need the Halo universe for its story to be told.

So, yeah. I used to enjoy the series lore but its taken a steep dive as of late.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah they are very sleek, i like them. Especially Tanaka's armor, which looks almost Covenant like in design.

343I hired the creative director from that game recently.

Incorrect. We hired him at the start of halo 5, some years ago now.

On the one hand, the first book of the Forerunner trilogy was damn near unreadable nonsense. On the other hand Nightfall was pretty horrible and never seemed to even need the Halo universe for its story to be told.

So, yeah. I used to enjoy the series lore but its taken a steep dive as of late.

And on the third hand, Broken Circle was pretty great. And on the fourth (because bilateral symmetry is important), Hunt the Truth is probably one of the best bits of tie-in media I've ever seen*.

So, yeah.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
man those screens, looks so good. 343i probably worked closely with Microsoft hardware guys and gonna get lot of juice out of the box.

Also watching that Gameinformer 1:23min video, that music at the very end, its only for few second but fuck, that was so good.

edit

starts at 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcaePyp_M8

ps

Frank when will we get the Soundtrack? I suppose when the game launches? :(

You guys need to make at least a Vidoc on music. I need MORRRRRRRRRRR

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Epic big team battle!! Man cannon sniping wars!! 20V20 loljk i wish
Ya know, Epic would be a pretty cool name for the new BTB. Campaign, Arena, and Epic as the core game modes. And hopefully Firefight.

And on the third hand, Broken Circle was pretty great. And on the fourth (because bilateral symmetry is important), Hunt the Truth is probably one of the best bits of tie-in media I've ever seen*.

So, yeah.
I've obviously been delving into the wrong stuff. Good to see there are still tender morsels of that universe to enjoy.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Incorrect. We hired him at the start of halo 5, some years ago now.

I'm just glad you hired him. Republic Commando is a very, very good game, and I'm really excited to see what he has to bring to Halo 5.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just when I think I'm out
yeah, right
, they pull me back in.
I would have happily skipped Halo 5 and the Xbox One entirely if Halo 5 didn't look so awesome. But damn does it look awesome.

OEM

this real life? free map pack?

truly great. Community is going to be strong on this one.

and the all the info, looking really good. I can't get anymore hype. Just need the game.

-Ryn

Banned
I've obviously been delving into the wrong stuff. Good to see there are still tender morsels of that universe to enjoy.
If you haven't read the Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx you definitely should as well. There's also Contact Harvest which was a solid read.

Obscured

Any info on any new vehicles or weapons? If we get a mp mode with larger player counts it'd be nice to get a transport hog or a Pelican that is a bit more fun this time.

I don't want to get excited because it probably isn't coming. Despite the fact that some have said the graphics aren't that big a jump it looks very good to me and that probably doesn't play well with large environments and lots of players plus crazy physics. This is one thing I would be really happy to be wrong about. Either way I look forward to hearing about this new mode.

Cheech

They better make things right for MCC "customers".

Halo 5 sounds promising on paper, but my trust is shot with that studio. I redeemed my 6+ months after purchase ODST code, but come on. 6+ months ago was when I should have been playing MCC online over my holiday break.

They have a lot to prove with this release.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Any info on any new vehicles or weapons? If we get a mp mode with larger player counts it'd be nice to get a transport hog or a Pelican that is a bit more fun this time.

I don't want to get excited because it probably isn't coming. Despite the fact that some have said the graphics aren't that big a jump it looks very good to me and that probably doesn't play well with large environments and lots of players plus crazy physics. This is one thing I would be really happy to be wrong about. Either way I look forward to hearing about this new mode.

They will reveal more MP stuff at E3. I think they will start the conference with the SP demo and by the end or in middle we will see MP BTB match.

They better make things right for MCC "customers".

Halo 5 sounds promising on paper, but my trust is shot with that studio. I redeemed my 6+ months after purchase ODST code, but come on. 6+ months ago was when I should have been playing MCC online over my holiday break.

They have a lot to prove with this release.

That's what the beta is for. You missed the first Beta? Don't worry I am sure there will be another one before launch. Check it out, pretty awesome stuff.

uberluigi

Banned
man those screens, looks so good. 343i probably worked closely with Microsoft hardware guys and gonna get lot of juice out of the box.

Also watching that Gameinformer 1:23min video, that music at the very end, its only for few second but fuck, that was so good.

edit

starts at 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcaePyp_M8

ps

Frank when will we get the Soundtrack? I suppose when the game launches? :(

You guys need to make at least a Vidoc on music. I need MORRRRRRRRRRR

Is that Buck on Locke's team?

23qwerty

KO97hmt.png

This is literally Nathan Fillion

edit: Okay apparently he's a voice actor in Halo, that makes sense. cool

If you haven't read the Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx you definitely should as well. There's also Contact Harvest which was a solid read.
I enjoyed Fall of Reach a lot, Contact Harvest less so but it was still a good time. Never read Ghosts of Onyx. I kindof fell out of the lore after that first Forerunner book and Nightfall made me think that was probably a wise decision.

m23

I enjoyed Fall of Reach a lot, Contact Harvest less so but it was still a good time. Never read Ghosts of Onyx. I kindof fell out of the lore after that first Forerunner book and Nightfall made me think that was probably a wise decision.

Ghosts of Onyx is the best book imo.

SpartanN92

Banned

Why were you reading them in such a weird order?

Granted Nightfall is a dud but Ghosts of Onyx is TREMENDOUS!!!

Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx are far better than books about video games have any right being.

ShamePain

Banned
I'd much rather have a smooth framerate in 720p. A poor or inconsistent framerate, now that's a real waste of good graphics.

You'd expect MS 1st party studios to push out at least 900p. There's no point in improving graphics a lot if all that detail is gonna be lost in a lowres image.

You'd expect MS 1st party studios to push out at least 900p. There's no point in improving graphics a lot if all that detail is gonna be lost in a lowres image.

As long as it's not at the cost of a smooth framerate. There are so many games this gen that I wish were sub-1080p for that reason. The Evil Within, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, etc.

Graphical jump from H4 is pretty impressive, I just hope it's not 720p, would be a waste.

343i has already said during the Halo 5 Beta that the resolution would be higher in the final game. I am guessing that if it is sub-1080p that it won't be 900p, but around Halo 2 Anniversary's resolution (1328 x 1080) as it scales better then 900p.

boltz

I still prefer the old, more blocky Spartan armor. Everytime I see the newer armor, I think Dead Space and not Halo at all.

The sleekness and curves of the of the armor make it look too pretty, not tough, kinda like comparing a Porsche with a M1 Abrams. I mean why is the entire midsection and groin area unarmored? Buck's armor is not too bad though and is the closest to the old Spartan armor.

Despite the armor, I'm pretty excited for this game and hope it's good enough to give me a reason to pick up a Xbone.

jet1911

Finished reading the articles. Everything sounds great, screenshots are a bit too "Halo 4 HD" IMO but at least the game is 60 fps. If I read right too the demo we'll see at E3 will be from Locke perspective.

Tablo

Damn son, they might just get me back, kinda lost interest after reach but I was a huge Halo 3 guy.
Ahh do I really have to budget for an XB1 in my dorm this fall lol. RIP grades

Top Bottom