• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

So yea after several games I have to say prophet's bane sucks ass. Either get rid of it or don't give the user a boost with it.

Kill cam needs to go too without a doubt.

Kill time needs to be increased just a bit. People die way too fast. Feels too much like COD in this department.

Flinch needs to go.

The midship remake plays good but Empire is a jumbled mess. I can see it takes after the Halo 4 school of map design. No flow worth a shit and too many damn directions to get hit from.

Other than that I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The crow has been thoroughly eaten.
Flinch is the only complaint I agree with.

Anfony O

Actually I find myself playing much worse but slowly getting a hang of it. Man I used to have a killer BR/DMR back in halo 3/2 now it's dead. Must be the ageing process.

Saw something funny. Someone in onyx division had the assault rifle as his favourite weapon and had 0 head shots. This game has really needed up he AR which is fine by me but the range is a tad to high they got to tone that down a bit

just wanted to say thank you for this post. helped me clear my mind and i'm actually going positive now :3

i think i might like this game. it has the things i enjoyed about Reach's combat over its predecessors without [most of] the bad that held that game back and effectively ruined Halo.

it can only go up. well, i'm sure they could find a way to mess the sniper up even more.

No problem, I think the aggro comes from not controlling like any halo before it. I was smacking B for Melee for at least the first 5 rounds. glad your beginning to enjoy man.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
The ranking system is pissing me off. Every win i get is like plus 1 or plus 10 if I am lucky. One loss is like -24. At this rate I would have to win 100 straight games to make it to out of gold. There is no consistency. I get less points when I get better stats. I want to see how this crap is calculated because it looks broken.

What you guys think of the ranking system so far? I am not understanding much but you do get negative/positive points based on your performance. Not sure how it impacts the overall rank. Its definitely not like Halo 2 right?

When you lose you always get negative points. When you win you always get positive points. The amount you gain/lose is dependent on the Competitive Skill Ranking (CSR) of the opposing team.

I'm not sure if individual performance factors into it, if it does it is VERY minimal.

Copy pasting from other thread.

Basically, so here is what I got from the first few games.

Dislike or needs improvement:
~Killcam. No. If you die you don't deserve to see the position of who killed you and everything you can gleam from their HUD like enemy placement and weapons.
Death tune. Kinda grating. Go back to seeing your corpse with the countdown timer. That way you can see if you kill traded, or if someone is teabagging you. The latter is vital.

~Spartan Chatter. Neat concept, inundated with superfluous information. Stuff like picking up a BR, or shields charged, I don't care about usually. Too complimentary, if I do something good I can see a compliment being earned. But I'm getting good kill/assist remarks after sloppily spraying in the direction of an enemy sometimes.

~Ground pound and charge. I like them and wish to use them, but they are rarely worthwhile. GP takes time to charge, easy to botch and entails a vulnerability period while charge can easily miss leaving you rather vulnerable. Could use balancing to make useful enough to bother with.

~Weapon variety. Please add more soon. So far power weapons have largely had no impact on me and gameplay seems to boil down to AR+BR+DMR shooting.
It isn't Halo without pink or purple guns, I don't want 3 weeks of AR+BR+DMRs.

~Is there a blur effect while sprinting? Cause it seems like it, the image quality is far from perfect and the last thing that should be added are blur effects. Just discomforting.

~Scope of DMR is bad. Unaesthetic and kinda disorients your view of anything not in the crosshair.

~Thruster is useful in combat actually, unlike in H4. Adds a nice strafe element.

~Clamber, I like crawling and reaching into areas, exploring nooks and crannies. This makes it so I can do it without being shot to death.

~Running around with the AR gives you a fighting chance at least.

Yes, I do. Interested to see your thought process here.

you said the skill gap has lessened. If you are as bad as you claim, the new tools allowed you to be a better player or the matchmaking is doing its job. Can't really say for sure but that would be the bottom line.

Personally there is honestly nothing about this that made me feel COD. Halo 4 was the only game because of the perks, loadouts, and randomness of kill streaks and stuff.

343 just needs to get rid of Flinch. That has no place. Also I can live with the ADS, but it needs to get rid of the glare that can happen sometimes.

MAX PAYMENT

Is ADS cosmetic or does it improve accuracy? I really can't tell and don't feel like digging in the thread. Plus the comment up a few confused me about it.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I may add more suggestions later, but for now, that's all.

Seems like you just want to play CE and 2 again. While those are both my favourite Halo's, obviously it needs to change somehow or it'll get stale to a lot of people and without people buying it it wouldn't exist.

I personally think it's the best Halo since 2 and the additions are great. Not the biggest fan of ADS but it isn't a killer and sprint is surprisingly not too bad.
I can see clamber making more sense than a double jump for the spartan to be able to do.
The pistol is pretty good and I find it to be a good secondary weapon.
You can turn the hover off in the settings, take a gander.

And I'm one of those people who suck with the BR/DMR and I am glad they finally made automatic weapons useful again. If the nerfed the auto's I would get owned even more than I do and I wouldn't be the only one. That just sucks the fun out of the game for people who aren't pros.

Idk how some of you gain/lose rank so drastically. I am far from a great player, I'm at Silver 2, and I gain 15 and lose 14 most games. Never seen a 24 point drop.

3DShovel

You should really be able to back out of the matchmaking process. The matchmaking is kind of broken if it doesn't find everyone in one shot. Whenever I see people leave I just quit out to the dashboard because I know I'd be stuck in an endless loop otherwise..

Love how I go plus 16 and our team loses, and my ranking goes down. Its not my fault your matchmaking blows and I get matched with inept players. Seriously. Fix that shit.

Qaloon

Actually I find myself playing much worse but slowly getting a hang of it. Man I used to have a killer BR/DMR back in halo 3/2 now it's dead. Must be the ageing process.

Saw something funny. Someone in onyx division had the assault rifle as his favourite weapon and had 0 head shots. This game has really needed up he AR which is fine by me but the range is a tad to high they got to tone that down a bit

the fact that you only need 10 games to place is part of the reason why he may be so high. I've seen stuff like that too, onyx's that i dump and rip on even though I'm gold 3. they should be brought down a peg over time

Honestly the only major complaint i have is hovering when i do not want to. I can't pop and shoot anymore. I wonder if I enable that thumbstick option if it will let me do it.

RBK

Banned

I can agree with some of the stuff you listed, but you don't honestly think this isn't nitpicking in the slightest? I can understand having a preference but does a lot it hinder the actual gameplay in any way?

Karl2177

Grenades have a huge blast radius and are really bouncy. It's really hard to get a feel of where they are going to land. When I do manage to figure that out, I always feel like I lose a bit of my shields when I should be out of the blast radius.

Freeser

you said the skill gap has lessened. If you are as bad as you claim, the new tools allowed you to be a better player or the matchmaking is doing its job. Can't really say for sure but that would be the bottom line.

Personally there is honestly nothing about this that made me feel COD. Halo 4 was the only game because of the perks, loadouts, and randomness of kill streaks and stuff.

343 just needs to get rid of Flinch. That has no place. Also I can live with the ADS, but it needs to get rid of the glare that can happen sometimes.

Nowhere did I claim to be a terrible Halo player. For reference I topped out at 32 in H2 and 46 in H3 so I am far from great but not terrible. I have come across way too many instances where I got a cheap kill or was able to escape via clamber from someone that outgunned me or caught me in a position I should not have been in. At the same time I have encountered times when I clearly outgunned a guy with precision headshots only to lose to his spray and pray AR. Just my .02 and I am aware I am in the minority here.

Qaloon

is anybody else finding the sniper clunky and slow? it seems a bit weird to have a weapon this "ancient" in such a fast paced game. even the hit registration is kinda weird. then again, that may be me talking after playing with that terribly easy h2a sniper :p

XxCGSxX

Xbox One noob here, I double tap the Xbox Button to record a Halo 5 clip, it recorded a 58 second clip. At first it didn't show the share to activity button at the upload app but after a while it did but it says when I try to share: "SOMETHING WENT WRONG, Sorry, we can't share this right now. Try again in a while." Please help Halo Gaf :'( , I can even watch it on that xbox clips site. Getting pissed off here.

is anybody else finding the sniper clunky and slow? it seems a bit weird to have a weapon this "ancient" in such a fast paced game. even the hit registration is kinda weird. then again, that may be me talking after playing with that terribly easy h2a sniper :p

ya it's whack. and the bullet magnetism is really high too which makes it feel even more awkward.

Stupid zoom delay and first level zoom being way too high.

wintermute181

Neo Member
Well then they probably could be sued as they promised dedicated servers. I am sure they will add them eventually, but how long that may be will be the question.

A week ago they claimed that 'nearly every game has been played on dedicated servers' or something to that effect. I don't think I've had a single game on them, especially because I'm in Australia and they might not even exist here.

Digital, you mean? Then yeah, it'll have to be installed for sure.

EDIT: Maybe. I'm honestly not sure, don't think anyone's tried to run it without installing first :p

MCC? Yeah it has to be installed for the beta. Otherwise on the press start screen it'll just say to pop your disc in or download the MCC

njean777

A week ago they claimed that 'nearly every game has been played on dedicated servers' or something to that effect. I don't think I've had a single game on them, especially because I'm in Australia and they might not even exist here.

Didn't Titanfall have the same problem? I remember they added Australia servers really late.

link1201

This is from community side. I thought it was interesting. He did the ranking stuff but is no longer at 343.
Hey guys, Josh here, this is me reading your posts on matchmaking and ranking.

I'm not w/ 343 anymore, so I just have some "outsider" comments I can make.

First, at a match level, the matchmaking looks good. I've seen a lot of really close matches, and heard from you folks that you're having a lot of close ones.

Yeah, you do get some noobs on your teams sometimes, and lose because of it. But this happens randomly to everyone. The other team will get baddies just as often as you do. If it really just is bad luck, it'll wash out as you play more.

Condescending Soapbox: In my experience, just being able to kill better than anyone on your team doesn't make you a winner in a "team" game. Getting the rest of your team to play their best together (no matter how bad that is) is part of that winning skill. Though I agree it's probably impossible to do without voice.

Now, onto ranking. I totally understand the comments about personal performance vs. team performance, and losing more points than it feels you deserve.

It's actually a lot harder than just giving a few more points to the top performers if you want to have a simple ranking system without:

1. huge and easy to use exploits
  2. encouraging players to compete against their own teammates (stealing kills, etc)

Both of those would have a huge negative impact on the game, and design is often about compromising on a bunch of points. No system is perfect.

Trust me (or don't?) I've tried it. I've tried a ton of different systems on both real players, real data, and simulated data.

I could probably come up with some *really* complex systems that did an OK job at this, but at that point players would have no idea what was going on with the rankings, and lose confidence in them. At least this way, you know players with high ranks have eventually won their way to them.

Also, think of it this way. Imagine you have a team of Pros. Imagine each of them is much better than most of you will ever be (sorry!). But, imagine that part of their main strategy is to feed most of their kills to one player, resulting in him having the best spread and and the rest having a lot of assists. A system too focused on personal performance would end up giving you some really weird rankings where that player is far ahead of the rest of his team, despite them all actually being really close in skill.

My personal feeling on ranking systems is to try and have them fit the game. If this was a more casual BTB with lots of solo folks running around and having little impact on the win, then I like systems that are more personal (like BTB CSR in H4). But I like the team-focus for arena.

I know it sucks when those individual experiences happen, but they will wash out if you truly deserve the higher ranks and play enough games to remove the randomness.

So, anyways, I'm enjoying the posts. It's good stuff. I'll lurk around some more.

Top Bottom