• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

a916

Multiplayer is so visually underwhelming...

It's usually a step down from campaign modes, but it doesn't look good.

mcmudman

Neo Member
Has anyone else been getting hit by stat resets?!?! I did my 10 matches and got up to onyx in slayer, swat, and breakout and then all of a sudden all of my stats disappear and my records make it look like I haven't ever played a match. I was just partway through doing 10 more matches again when all of my stats got reset yet again. Oddly enough all of my req cards still remain the same. I'm absolutely loving this game but honestly this is getting a little frustrating. I think this is just happening to me and I have absolutely no idea why, it sorta kinda sucks.

trying to legendary solo this and im stuck at that the last part of level 14.

this is painful

I'm at the three wardens, any suggestions would be appreciated

ironcreed

Banned
Warzone is an absolute blast. Some of the most fun multiplayer out there for sure and I am pleased at how fast and easy the points for req packs come. Not to mention how they are sprinkled on you like candy after matches.

Random17

The lead in to the game is explained by a series of comic books right now. A casual isn't going to know jack or shit about why Hensley
is chillin' with the covenant
at end of chp 1!

Background events for Halo games are always relegated to the EU. Even for CE

I'm talking about the actual plot.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Frank, if you're reading, please release some SWAT-centric maps please. Currently there are none and its pudding me off.

I don't care if you re-release Adrift and Haven. Whatever it takes.

RoKKeR

Beat the campaign. Game is an absolute blast in co-op and the gameplay and mission design are miles above Halo 4. Open areas, multiple pathways, many options to tackle a certain encounter, it all just works so well in concert with the abilities and movement system. Such a big turnaround from Halo 4's linear, boring as fuck level design.

Hopped in to MP afterwards and couldn't help but smile... I love having Halo back. Arena is sublime.

Vire

Beat the campaign. Game is an absolute blast in co-op and the gameplay and mission design are miles above Halo 4. Open areas, multiple pathways, many options to tackle a certain encounter, it all just works so well in concert with the abilities and movement system. Such a big turnaround from Halo 4's linear, boring as fuck level design.

Hopped in to MP afterwards and couldn't help but smile... I love having Halo back. Arena is sublime.
Hurray, glad to hear this.

matthieuC

Frank, if you're reading, please release some SWAT-centric maps please. Currently there are none and its pudding me off.

I don't care if you re-release Adrift and Haven. Whatever it takes.
I'd be fine with some modifications towards the current map pool, but I definitely don't want them wasting new maps on swat.

Voliko

How do you see update progress? All I see is "Updating..."

This better not mean it hasn't started

edit: nvm there it goes

j-wood

So I've done nothing with halo since 4. I'm getting this tomorrow, what do I need to read up on first? I didn't follow any of the ar stuff

Random17

Halo 1 and 2 had self contained stories. They did not need EU to explain anything. The lore got progressively more convoluted from that point on.

I don't think most give more weight to the plot than they do to the story which drives the experience (and the plot).
I'm not sure what definition of plot and story is being used here but my original point is this;

The current EU does not explain the stuff that happens in the game, like the Warden Eternal's actions. That's problematic for the story because like Halo 4, it isn't self-contained, but unlike Halo 4,it doesn't have anything to lean on.

The EU does explain the background stuff, like Blue team and Osiris. That's business as usual in the franchise, even for CE.

I'm not sure why you are disagreeing with me.

Finally got around to beating the campaign on Heroic.

Meh.

I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it.

Story was obviously garbage nonsense, but most of the level and encounter design was pretty strong.

Somebody should really tell 343i that there are other ways to add cooperative elements to combat than 'you distract him and I'll run behind him and shoot him in the back'.

I'd say it's somewhere below Halo CE, Halo 3 and Reach as far as campaigns go, but better than Halo 2 and Halo 4 campaigns by a pretty wide gulf.

Glass

when the music kicks in during the big action beats in missions 8 and 10

KSIhCkV.gif

You did. After others were blatantly discussing story. Halo 1 and 2 had self contained stories. They did not need EU to explain anything. The lore got progressively more convoluted from that point on.

I don't think most give more weight to the plot than they do to the story which drives the experience (and the plot).

What did Halo 3 require beyond the events in Halo 2? It had the Terminals for additional lore, but it those weren't necessary. It was a pretty straight forward story. Kill Prophet, get Cortana and key back, stop Halos from firing, save Earth.

Likewise, Reach was entirely self-contained. It's a group of soldiers trying to save as many people as they can on a doomed planet before completing one final mission that may, hopefully, help turn the tide when they're gone. Hell, if you read the EU, you'd be pretty confused considering the retconned a lot of what happened in the books.

The first mission is basically the beginning of Age of Ultron. If you didn't watch the see events from the previous story, you wont know what loose ends they're tying.

KingV

So, after leaving to go to work 16 hours ago, my halo 5 install went from 93% to 99%.. I've green watching it for 30 minutes do nothing. Is there a way to see if it's actually doing anything, or if it's stuck? How do I unstick it. If I have to renown load the whole thing I'll rage, this shit is unbearable.

Edit: Oh wait. After it finished it now tells me it needs an update. Which it is now downloading. X1 seriously needs to fix its preloading, tired of dl'ing shit twice on this slow ass DSL.

Vinland

Banned
Is it always this bad with Xbox One? Welp, guess I'll just leave it on overnight.

No it is not. I dl'ed the 9gig patch in like 25 minutes. 60mb dl cable while watching netflix on my iPad. It is probably your ISP, MS's connection to your ISP or the router. Mine was over 5ghz wireless.

Just bad luck probably. Hope it gets sorted for you so you can enjoy the game.

post-30824-Jack-Nicholson-Creepy-Nodding-SRXv.gif

Breathtaking, and one of the best Halo levels ever.

So your loving it like I did? It's always weird to release a review for a game before the launch and to have people act like I'm crazy for liking something as much as I did or that I was paid off. So silly, much is.

Victrix

*beard*
Can someone explain to me what's going on with the DMR vs the Battle Rifle?

The BR shows it's taking 3 shots, but it sounds and looks like it's firing one shot with no recoil or spread.

Is the only practical difference between the two the scope that zooms farther on the BR?

This kinda extends to the magnum too for that matter.

G_Berry

Banned
Does anybody know if this is using dedicated servers? Im getting bad lag that appears to be hidden well but rears its ugly head every now and then.

Delay in nade throws
Being killed round corners
People dying from headshots after I'm dead

I'm in Australia if that makes any difference but the lag feels like AUS to US lag and I thought this was region locked?

Not a good sign if im being pared up with US players already.

So, after leaving to go to work 16 hours ago, my halo 5 install went from 93% to 99%.. I've green watching it for 30 minutes do nothing. Is there a way to see if it's actually doing anything, or if it's stuck? How do I unstick it. If I have to renown load the whole thing I'll rage, this shit is unbearable.
Go to network and check bandwidth usage

I've only played Halo 1 in the past, and no more than an hour of it's MP. But I'm having a lot of fun with Halo 5.

Just got to Mission 7 and took a break, went and played one match of FFA and placed 2nd with 14 kills. Probably nothing to brag about, but it's the only FPS I've played on a console since the original Xbox.

I'm really not liking the left/right shoulder buttons for melee and 'nades. They are really hard to push down if you grip the very top of them like I do.

Random17

Because you are deliberately moving the goal posts by ignoring the example I provided.

I had to google who Jul 'Mdama was and why he and Hesley were hanging out after finishing up Chapter 1. I already pointed this out in my last post before you chose to ignore it. There's plot for you and I, and I assume many others who don't get in line for Halo comics, had no clue what was going on.
TIL clarifying my point is moving the goal posts despite it being the same central point as before.

Alright, without referencing the EU and using only the games, please explain;

1. What Reach is circa 2001 and what happened in CE
2. How Johnson and Chief got back to Earth
3. How Johnson, Miranda and the Arbiter got back to Earth before Chief in Halo 3
4. What Spartan 3s are in Halo Reach

All of these are super important questions directly related to the plot of each game. All require EU knowledge. Of course, these games are still self contained, because if you move on from the background points, what actually happened in the game is explained ingame fully, unlike H4 or H5.

Reread my previous posts. You shouldn't even be disagreeing with me lol

ironcreed

Banned
So your loving it like I did? It's always weird to release a review for a game before the launch and to have people act like I'm crazy for liking something as much as I did or that I was paid off. So silly, much is.

Oh, it's fantastic. My only real gripe so far is
mission 9 consisted of talking to two people.
It just seemed odd to make that a mission coming off the back of the incredible high of mission 8. But no big deal in the grand scheme of things. The game is a monster on the whole.

Oh, it's fantastic. My only real gripe so far is
mission 9 consisted of talking to two people.
It just seemed odd to make that a mission coming off the back of the incredible high of mission 8. But no big deal in the grand scheme of things. The game is a monster on the whole.

Yeah those moments of missions are weird, but I hear you can talk to multiple characters and look for logs in some. I was to excited to get back to the action I never even tried looking lol.

Top Bottom