• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

GavinGT

Banned
The last hour or two of the campaign really soured my whole experience. I was LOVING it, and then they throw a two-Warden fight at me followed by a three-Warden fight. Those things are the opposite of fun to fight.

Herbs

Banned
I think the biggest issue I have is that I'm not getting that physical punch feeling like in previous games that accompanies the weapons. It's hard to tell that you're doing damage to enemies in both the game and multiplayer. I don't know, maybe I'm just not seeing the subtlety of it and need to get used to it.

As a side note, are we going to get gradual updates on the status of new features and stuff? Like BTB and maps and stuff.

Nutter

I progressed a bit further so I can finally complete this. I am in disbelief... I have to fight 3 wardens..? So in total I have to fight him like 7 times?? Just copy and paste the most tedious boss fight over and over? Are you fucking kidding me right now? Holy shit!

So far the campaign is a 5 out of 10. Don't care about multiplayer.

Out of curiosity for the guys who rank this as their favorite Halo. Why??? How can overlook such a bad design flaw!? 3 years of development and we getva game that is worse than Halo 4.

Well that is why you fail. This is the best MP Halo has had since forever.

I think the biggest issue I have is that I'm not getting that physical punch feeling like in previous games that accompanies the weapons. It's hard to tell that you're doing damage to enemies in both the game and multiplayer. I don't know, maybe I'm just not seeing the subtlety of it and need to get used to it.

As a side note, are we going to get gradual updates on the status of new features and stuff? Like BTB and maps and stuff.

Yeah, that's been on my mind too. I don't feel like I'm really hitting anything half the time.

tootsi666

The last hour or two of the campaign really soured my whole experience. I was LOVING it, and then they throw a two-Warden fight at me followed by a three-Warden fight. Those things are the opposite of fun to fight.
Yeah. Those were so horrible on legendary

I progressed a bit further so I can finally complete this. I am in disbelief... I have to fight 3 wardens..? So in total I have to fight him like 7 times?? Just copy and paste the most tedious boss fight over and over? Are you fucking kidding me right now? Holy shit!

So far the campaign is a 5 out of 10. Don't care about multiplayer.

Out of curiosity for the guys who rank this as their favorite Halo. Why??? How can overlook such a bad design flaw!? 3 years of development and we getva game that is worse than Halo 4.

I actually enjoyed the Warden fights on Legendary, but I was playing with 3 people. Wasn't tedious, just somewhat frustrating.

And I can look past it since a) IMO, it's not such a bad design flaw and b) it's spectacular in most other ways, most certainly kicking the ever living crap out of 4.

Lingitiz

The more I play the Arena and Warzone the more I'm excited to see how this game develops in the next few weeks/months. It's definitely built for the long haul.

Looking forward to seeing what social playlists they do on weekends.

arhra

can someone explain to me why Halsey's arm is gone?

That's not really a spoiler, she lost it near the end of Spartan Ops while in the custody of Jul 'Mdama (the Covenant leader asshole
that you take down in mission 1 of H5
). It was never quite explained precisely why (she gets shot in the shoulder in one cutscene, then the next time she shows up the left arm of her jacket is tied off). Maybe there's a comic that has more detail, I dunno.

Someone on Osiris brings it up briefly during mission 1, but it's via character chatter, so you might have missed it. And they seem to know about as much about it as I do.

That's not really a spoiler, she lost it near the end of Spartan Ops while in the custody of Jul 'Mdama (the Covenant leader asshole
). It was never quite explained precisely why (she gets shot in the shoulder in one cutscene, then the next time she shows up the left arm of her jacket is tied off). Maybe there's a comic that has more detail, I dunno.

Someone on Osiris brings it up briefly during mission 1, but it's via character chatter, so you might have missed it. And they seem to know about as much about it as I do.

It is fairly easy to understand why, you can't really expect Sangheili to understand human anatomy, with that serious of a gunshot wound they probably can't do much else.

16BitNova

Jul mentioned in the last Spartan Ops cutscene that she would have bled to death if he didnt cut it.

Concerning the former bit, guns feel fine but not great. There's something missing, and I think it's a lack of bassy noises in the guns. They all have really high pitch, which is weird to me. That said, I do dig the Promethean weapon sounds; they're just right.

The worst, honestly, is the Needler. After 4's crystalline sound (which even my Halo 4-hating friend admits is amazingly good), why go back to this "bloopy" noise? It doesn't sound anything like a gun that fires crystalline shards would sound.

Herbs said:

Almost certainly, but the game's only been out for a day (happy day-iversary, Halo 5), so hold your horses for now!

arhra

It is fairly easy to understand why, you can't really expect Sangheili to understand human anatomy, with that serious of a gunshot wound they probably can't do much else.

Well yeah, something like that was the obvious conclusion to draw, but I didn't remember anyone explicitly mentioning it...

Jul mentioned in the last Spartan Ops cutscene that she would have bled to death if he didnt cut it.

But apparently I was mistaken, and they did.

It's not exactly a particularly important plot point either way.

Actually they are very well versed in human anatomy, per the EU

The former Covenant and the Arbiter's forces, yeah. A random rebel with stolen tech? Nah.

Plus, Elites look down on proper medical treatments for combat injuries, so the average Elite isn't well-versed in treating such injuries.

JonnyKong

To me this seems like the first game in a long while where what the critics have said really doesn't match with what the general public are thinking (specifically for the campaign). I've seen a lot of posts on this thread, and from various friends on Facebook expressing their disappointment with the campaign, yet I'd say the majority of the critic reviews have gushed all over it. I wish I'd played what they had! The only site I can think of so far who hit the nail on the head is that terrible showbiz website Digital Spy of all places.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...latest-campaign-from-being-total-washout.html

The former Covenant and the Arbiter's forces, yeah. A random rebel with stolen tech? Nah.

Plus, Elites look down on proper medical treatments for combat injuries, so the average Elite isn't well-versed in treating such injuries.

Yep my thoughts as well, don't expect a bunch of rebels to have that kind of expertise.

xJavonta

Banned
Really pissed at myself for buying a PS4 right now. I want to play this SO fucking bad. My roommate has it and an Xbone, but he's gonna be playing for the next month 😭

I'm not playing :( watching the cutscenes on YouTube. But thank you! Guess I better play Spartan Ops

arhra

To me this seems like the first game in a long while where what the critics have said really doesn't match with what the general public are thinking (specifically for the campaign). I've seen a lot of posts on this thread, and from various friends on Facebook expressing their disappointment with the campaign, yet I'd say the majority of the critic reviews have gushed all over it. I wish I'd played what they had! The only site I can think of so far who hit the nail on the head is that terrible showbiz website Digital Spy of all places.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...latest-campaign-from-being-total-washout.html
Did you read the review thread at all? Before I gave up on it, it was full of people who were convinced that the critical consensus was that the campaign was terrible.

Turns out, the reality is that the reaction has been mixed. There were plenty of reviewers who had issues with the campaign. And plenty who liked, or even loved it

Same with folks here, and probably elsewhere. Hell, even before release some of the folks who had the game early (via street date breaks or review copies) were hinting that the campaign was likely to be divisive.

What you're seeing as an apparent consensus is more likely the simple effect of disaffected voices being louder.

I'm not playing :( watching the cutscenes on YouTube. But thank you! Guess I better play Spartan Ops

Honestly, just stick to watching the cutscenes on Youtube. The gameplay parts of Spartan Ops aren't up to much, especially if you're playing solo.

xboxnerd

Banned

I actually saw many people liking it. A lot.
Both the critics' and the public consensus are divisive, and this is just normal. It's called opinions. I just beat the first two levels with a friend on legendary, and dare I say this campaign is on par with CE, which is my favorite campaign, so far.

Lima

If you want to see what absolute garbage AI looks like then play this game solo with the AI teammates. Get used to marking every single enemy you want them to shoot cause they can be standing in front of an enemy and just not fire at him.

And if you want to see some real funny shit do the Warden fights on Legendary.

aky6aa.gif

Really pissed at myself for buying a PS4 right now. I want to play this SO fucking bad. My roommate has it and an Xbone, but he's gonna be playing for the next month 😭

Just watch it, it is not worth playing, there is no story element in the missions.

terrible

Banned
The campaign seems great so far but why do they always seem to use such a narrow FOV in Halo? It's hurting my eyes (literally).

GavinGT

Banned
The campaign seems great so far but why do they always seem to use such a narrow FOV in Halo? It's hurting my eyes (literally).

Yeah, the FOV has been shit since Halo 2. They narrowed it significantly for the sake of multiplayer balance, but I hate it.

Game randomly started working last night. Got to co-op two missions with my friend. It's....quite good, actually. I like the increased verticality and width to the levels. We started out on Legendary but...I kept dying. Alot. So we put it on Heroic and it felt a whole lot easier. I have no idea how I beat 1, 3, ODST, Reach on Legendary :p

The 60fps is super nice but something feels a little off with the gunplay in this. Can't quite put my finger on it but I feel like with ADS weapons are a bit weaker to make headshots etc more of a necessity. I don't mind it but...it feels a little more generic shooter in that sense rather than Halo being identifiable purely from its gameplay.

Whatever the story is like though, the level design is much improved so far.

Edit: When Halo 4 came out I did two legendary levels on my own, then joined 3 american people on gamefaqs for the campaign in co-op on legendary. It was kinda awesome, but I was drained the next day :p I suspect when we go for legendary this time we'll need some patience-of-a-saint HaloGaf people!

Leyasu

Banned
Ugh. I think you suffer the same issues that I do with lack of regional servers, I haven't bought the game yet so it will be interesting to hear your views over the next few days.
I'll keep you posted. I am 100% getting local EU servers though so it is not all bad.

Why can they let us see our ping in numbers or what server we are playing on before the match starts?

I've bumped my aim up to 5 so far but it just still feels off, at default you couldn't even pan fast enough to shot someone running past you o_o

I am also kinda getting frustrated with being killed vs someone when I am emptying a who clip on their face but they kill me in what seems like 2 hits, I'm like wtf gun are they using... oh the same as me?! I have a feeling people playing in California are running circles around my Toronto connection, which makes 1vs1 kills annoying as hell.

Made it to rank 8 tonight though, but I honestly feel like I am missing something control wise or latency wise /shrug

GavinGT

Banned
Warzone deserves to take off and be the next big thing. That shit is so well done. There are times when I'm taking over a base alongside 10 other guys that I feel like I'm playing something that has up to now existed only in my dreams.

Warzone deserves to take off and be the next big thing. That shit is so well done. There are times when I'm taking over a base alongside 10 other guys that I feel like I'm playing something that has up to now existed only in my dreams.

Thats exactly like how I have felt.

I would love there to be something else though in regards to maps.
Something to make each one unique.
I know what I mean i am finding it hard to express.
Maybe space assaults? with space locks opening upon request from home team?

Have more of a base feel.

Again I know I am rambling but it just feels on the cusp of something even greater.

Naked Lunch

Recon control scheme aka classic Halo controls:
Why when doing the ground pound is the aim for the landing on the right stick? I dont have 2 right thumbs. You basically have to hold b and bring your left hand to the right stick - bad move 343. Fix please.

Why when doing the ground pound is the aim for the landing on the right stick? I dont have 2 right thumbs. You basically have to hit b and bring your left hand to the right stick - bad move 343. Fix please.

If you're on NXE, I'd recommend you remap your buttons. People begged for the crouch jump to make a comeback, so they moved groundpound from air+crouch to air+melee. That's unlikely to make a comeback.

MouldyK

Or a Mini-Planetside.

Man, I loved it yesterday. Both teams had Scorpion which blew eachother up and I was like "Okay, Random Vehicle REQ Card, do your thing!"...and I got a Scorpion aswell!

For the next 5 minutes, I was plowing through, mostly did Warden Eternal because of me, but the guy in the gunner got the last kill. (BTW, 343i, some Legendary-Assist would be nice...getting the last hit after someone spent a whole Scorpion on the guy and getting all the points? Not cool).

Then I just drove, took down a Banshee and a Wraith and later died...

...10/10.

Why when doing the ground pound is the aim for the landing on the right stick? I dont have 2 right thumbs. You basically have to hold b and bring your left hand to the right stick - bad move 343. Fix please.
Use your left hand to aim with the right analog stick. It's what I did until I gave up and conformed to the default controls. Which aren't so bad. It's just gonna be tough going back and forth with this and The Master Chief Collection.

Naked Lunch

If you're on NXE, I'd recommend you remap your buttons. People begged for the crouch jump to make a comeback, so they moved groundpound from air+crouch to air+melee. That's unlikely to make a comeback.

All they have to do is put the ground pound aim on the left stick while you are holding B.
A game like Smite is a perfect example of changing the aim stick when an ability is performed.
Easy fix.

Herbs

Banned
Yeah, that's been on my mind too. I don't feel like I'm really hitting anything half the time.

I just remember that stuff like the shotgun having a visceral feel when shooting. And the way the bodies are flopping seems weird too. Overall though, I'm loving it

Kssio_Aug

The little I played I noticed that the biggest problem of campaign seems definitely the friendly AI.

Was playing on Heroic and needing to point the enemies all the time, otherwise they would mostly just stand back staring at me. And that's so strange when the game has such a great overall AI, like the other Halo games.

I hope they're able to patch it, at least to give the friendly AI some more aggressivity.

Am I right in assuming your playlist rank will drop/increase depending on how well you play? At first I just thought it was a different levelling system in additional to the normal player levelling but then noticed I was getting different ranks on different playlists. I haven't followed the game much so apologies if this is a stupid question!

Herbs

Banned
The little I played I noticed that the biggest problem of campaign seems definitely the A.I.

Was playing on Heroic and needing to point the enemies all the time, otherwise they would mostly just stand back staring at me. And that's so strange when the game has such a great overall AI, like the other Halo games.

I hope they're able to patch it, at least to give the friendly AI some more aggressivity.

Yeah, the AI sucks bad. Pretty big oversight for a key feature.

Top Bottom