• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Letters said:
I thought you were doing the PMs joke. xD

I got the code now, but it doesn't work, it's probably region related. Thanks a lot still. ;)
Tashi could use my GERMAN Anniversary Map Code. Maybe he lied to us the whole time and he isn't American. All lies Tashi. It's all unveiled! You're a damn Liar, Tashi.

Epyon MX said:
Thanks UPS. I've never had a problem with Amazon's Release Day delivery until now.

*sigh* Leaving out of town in 2 days. Pretty sure I'm not going to have time to even finish the campaign before I go.

Sweet! Back on track and promised delivery by 3pm. Guess who's going home from work early today.

feel

Hypertrooper said:
Tashi could use my GERMAN Anniversary Map Code. Maybe he lied to us the whole time and he isn't American. All lies Tashi. It's all unveiled! You're a damn Liar, Tashi.
This made me try typing it manually on the actual console instead of xbox.com, and the code WORKED!!

THANKS Zeouter!!!!!

soldat7 said:
Gonna play this with my kids for the first time. I'm seriously considering sticking to the old-school graphics initially. Gotta raise 'em right.
That's really a great idea. Make 'em earn that graphical upgrade! :)

I wonder if there is somebody out there that will accidentally hit Back at the menu/beginning of the game and play through the entire thing without realizing there is an updated graphics mode. They would even miss all of the skulls and terminals!

Highly unlikely, I'm sure, but that would be hilarious. Especially if said person worked for an infamous gaming review site (take your pick).

smilebig1337

Neo Member
I went straight to recording a playthrough of the game when I picked it up last night at midnight. Here is the first episode for those who are still skeptical and want to see what it looks like. The next episode should be out later tonight for those of you who are interested in seeing it.

Halo CE Part 1: The Pillar of Autumn

Any feedback you can give is much appreciated as I'm still relatively new when it comes to the whole Let's Play thing.

JMizzlin

Co-oping Two Betrayals on Legendary. We just destroyed the second generator and came out to the landing pad only to have our Banshee missing. Revert checkpoint and repeatedly destroy generator: no banshee. Now we have no way down and can't get into the tunnels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Eye Drop said:
Co-oping Two Betrayals on Legendary. We just destroyed the second generator and came out to the landing pad only to have our Banshee missing. Revert checkpoint and repeatedly destroy generator: no banshee. Now we have no way down and can't get into the tunnels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Doesn't it spawn another one if you've knocked your Banshees off and wait outside for a few moments? Or is that just the first generator?

JMizzlin

Photolysis said:
Doesn't it spawn another one if you've knocked your Banshees off and wait outside for a few moments? Or is that just the first generator?

Been standing here for ten minutes and nothing spawned :( Enemy banshees spawn, but not ours. It looks like we're stuffed.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Eye Drop said:
Been standing here for ten minutes and nothing spawned :( Enemy banshees spawn, but not ours. It looks like we're stuffed.

If nothing is spawning, then you may just have to restart the mission. I don't think the enemy banshee pilots will jump out of their banshees, so I don't think there is another way to get one.

Eye Drop said:

Might also depend on where you're standing. I vaguely seem to recall from playing co-op years ago that they don't spawn if someone's standing in the way.

Sucks if you're stuck though :(

JMizzlin

Photolysis said:
Might also depend on where you're standing. I vaguely seem to recall from playing co-op years ago that they don't spawn if someone's standing in the way.

Sucks if you're stuck though :(

Yeah, we've both been in the main room countless times and nothing has happened. Looks like we'll have to restart. Oh well.

Great game otherwise :)

GECK

Ran a bunch of games split screen and multi flag never popped in Squad/Classic. Just 1-flag and... Stockpile. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

What the fuck were they thinking with these weightings?

Loving the gameplay though. Never touching vanilla reach again.

The Anniversary sniper reticle is fucking broken.

First, for reference:
mission3_0002.jpg

300px-0.jpg

Then the Anniversary abomination:
bThdN.png

KV79y.png

Seriously, what the hell?

smilebig1337 said:
I am honestly failing to see the problem. I used it last night, and I had no issues with it. What exactly is your problem with it?
The original is small and indicates very clearly where your bullet is going - the new version is large and gives no indication where you're actually aiming. If I'm going to aim based on a 4 pixel wide dot, don't put the enormous circle around it that conveys absolutely nothing about the sniper's functionality. Did you compare the pictures? It's pretty clear how much larger the reticle is now. Is the sniper a large area of effect weapon? Because that's what a large reticle communicates to me after umpteen years of gaming.

Letters said:
Yikes.. does it look like that when zoomed in too?? Why did they feel the need to change it for the nice tiny circle?
Yep, still looks like that zoomed in. It's so distracting I stopped playing T & R and played multiplayer instead. Ugh.

feel

Yikes seems awful.. does it look like that when zoomed in too?? Why did they feel the need to change it from the nice tiny circle? Looks like a BR/DMR style reticule now.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Syracuse022 said:
The original is small and indicates very clearly where your bullet is going - the new version is large and gives no indication where you're actually aiming. If I'm going to aim based on a 4 pixel wide dot, don't put the enormous circle around it that conveys absolutely nothing about the sniper's functionality. Did you compare the pictures? It's pretty clear how much larger the reticle is now. Is the sniper a large area of effect weapon?

Yeah, I looked at the pictures, but the actual reticle functions in the same way even if it looks different. The bullet should be going right down the center every time you fire it, so just line up your target with the dot in the center. It is not a difficult thing to adjust to, so calling it "fucking broken" seems a bit extreme to me.

smilebig1337 said:
Yeah, I looked at the pictures, but the actual reticle functions in the same way even if it looks different. The bullet should be going right down the center every time you fire it, so just line up your target with the dot in the center. It is not a difficult thing to adjust to, so calling it "fucking broken" seems a bit extreme to me.
Exactly. If the dot is the indicator for where the bullet is going, why is there a house-sized circle around it?

TUROK

Syracuse022 said:
Exactly. If the dot is the indicator for where the bullet is going, why is there a house-sized circle around it?
Why does it matter?

Fucking broken sounds like internet hyperbole to me.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Syracuse022 said:

Because they wanted to make it easier to see? The old reticle was not the easiest thing in the world to see all of the time. Sometimes it blended in the surroundings, which can be easily seen in the two pictures you posted. This reticle is much easier to distinguish from the environment, and it should be easier to use. If your only complaint is that you think it looks ugly, then it isn't broken. If the new reticle randomized the bullet so that it went somewhere other than the dot in the center, then it would be broken.

feel

Kinda shocking playing great (nonforge) maps + decent gametypes on Reach.

Voting screen looks bizarre (in a good way)

TUROK said:
Why does it matter?

Fucking broken sounds like internet hyperbole to me.
Fine. The sniper reticle has seen an unnecessary change in a game that was supposed to have "no gameplay changes." It is considerably more difficult for me to snipe on 2x zoom now, which used to be a joy in Halo 1. I do not like this new reticle and find myself constantly wondering why it was changed. In fact, I do not like this reticle so much that I stopped playing one of my favorite levels last night in disgust, and I have decided to get on the internet and complain about it.

hmm.png

Letters said:
Kinda shocking playing great (nonforge) maps + decent gametypes on Reach.

Voting screen looks bizarre (in a good way)
True that. It's amazing how much of a difference good maps makes, and the three shot pistol is pretty damned satisfying. Good work Shishka.

i nerini del buio said:
aiming feels wonky while in "new gfx" mode
it doesn't happen in "classic" mode

why?
Slightly different-sized models, less bullet feedback (i.e. in "classic" mode, you can see individual pistol bullets landing on elite shields or the banshee carapace, in updated mode, these indicators are diminished or not included at all). Bums me out too.

Larger reticle? FUCKING BROKEN RUINED FOREVER

Thank you, Internet, your hyperbolic responses to even the smallest of changes have not ceased to be hysterical in their extremeness.

Man, I can't wait to get out of work today. So I can finally, finally play my most anticipated game today

Rayman Origins

The Lamonster said:
Did Sabre add a ton of invisible walls in the campaign or can we still get outside of the maps and explore?
No new walls that I'm aware of. You can explore just as much as you could in the original. Warthog launches wouldn't be the same otherwise.

U2NUMB

smilebig1337 said:
I went straight to recording a playthrough of the game when I picked it up last night at midnight. Here is the first episode for those who are still skeptical and want to see what it looks like. The next episode should be out later tonight for those of you who are interested in seeing it.

Halo CE Part 1: The Pillar of Autumn

Any feedback you can give is much appreciated as I'm still relatively new when it comes to the whole Let's Play thing.

Enjoyed it while I am stuck at work. Can not wait to go through it tonight with a friend.

Thanks for making the day go by :)

smilebig1337

Neo Member
U2NUMB said:
Enjoyed it while I am stuck at work. Can not wait to go through it tonight with a friend.

Thanks for making the day go by :)

I'm glad you liked it. :) The second episode should go up later tonight, and it has a nice little surprise at the end of it.

Proc

Is this like halo odst where it comes with all the reach maps as well or is it strictly limited to the halo ce reach maps.

Ramirez

Guys, I just played a match of 3SK Classic on Beaver Creek, I picked up the overshield and donged on 6 guys in a row with an OK, just using the pistol. It felt like I was playing Halo, is this reality?

Syracuse022 said:
Slightly different-sized models, less bullet feedback (i.e. in "classic" mode, you can see individual pistol bullets landing on elite shields or the banshee carapace, in updated mode, these indicators are diminished or not included at all). Bums me out too.
no, I'm saying that in the new gfx mode aiming is not smooth
there's something absolutely wrong

Ramirez said:
Guys, I just played a match of 3SK Classic on Beaver Creek, I picked up the overshield and donged on 6 guys in a row with an OK, just using the pistol. It felt like I was playing Halo, is this reality?

Don't worry, next gametype is Elite Snipers 4v4 on Headlong to balance it out

Ken

Proc said:
Is this like halo odst where it comes with all the reach maps as well or is it strictly limited to the halo ce reach maps.
Limited to the Anniversary maps. You'll need to get a copy of Reach and the DLC separately for the other maps.

Ramirez

ViewtifulJC said:
Don't worry, next gametype is Elite Snipers 4v4 on Headlong to balance it out

I'm only playing the Classic playlist, that Squad playlist is terrible, I never want to play another game with AA's in my life.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hypertrooper said:
I'm actually your next door neighbor

Proc said:
It is NOT like the Halo 3 Multiplayer Disc that came with ODST.

The Anniversary disc only has the seven Anniversary maps. If you want to play on all of the maps you still have to buy Reach.

I believe this was due to the size limitations of a single disc (they couldn't fit the Campaign AND all the Reach+CEA maps). Sure, they could have gone for a two-disc format, but I'm sure there are legitimate business reasons for not doing so. It's only a $40 game after all.

Feorax

Fucking amazon UK.

Paid for release day delivery. Get home today, no Halo.

Pisses me off. Will hopefully manage to get the shipping refunded.

Is the audio weird for anyone but me? I feel like the combat sounds are at the right level, but the dialogue is much quieter, especially in cutscenes.

I need one question answered. Does this game provide you all the MP maps from the original game, and can I play them with the original weapons and gameplay online?

Ken

BruiserBear said:
I need one question answered. Does this game provide you all the MP maps from the original game, and can I play them exactly as they played in the original game online?
No. You get a few maps remade from the original game for use with Reach multiplayer.

Ken said:

Why?

So they go through all the work of remaking the game's graphics, and talking about how authentic they wanted to keep everything, but then they go and don't allow you to play the multiplayer exactly how it was?

Top Bottom