• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

FyreWulff

I am moving tonight and my internet will not be hooked up until Friday. If I continue to play offline and get achievements, will they show up once I get my internet connection back? Or will I have to redo everything once I am reconnected to live? Never had this issue as I have always had internet.

Yes, they just won't have a date on them when you/someone else looks at them.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My connection can run co-op in every single other game I try just fine, there is absolutely no excuse for Halo CEA's co-op to require anything more. Look on the 343 forums, everyone is having this issue. Don't put co-op play over xbox live on the back of the box if it doesn't run properly.

I have had zero issue with this. So to say EVERYONE is having this issue is false. Works fine for me and my co-op buddy. Never have had an issue with a halo co-op game. So yea....take that however you want.

I have had zero issue with this. So to say EVERYONE is having this issue is false. Works fine for me and my co-op buddy. Never have had an issue with a halo co-op game. So yea....take that however you want.

Maybe we should take a vote. Online co-op is unplayable for me and everyone I know IRL when not hosting.

It's pretty amazing that we haven't seen an official 343 comment on this issue. Maybe there's a forum post out there somewhere but I haven't seen one.

_woLf

Okay, if not everyone then it's damn sure enough people to warrant 343i at least acknowledging the issue. It's slightly annoying when I see Frankie on here joking about donuts and moons when the reason I bought Halo CEA is damn near unplayable.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Maybe we should take a vote. Online co-op is unplayable for me and everyone I know IRL when not hosting.

It's pretty amazing that we haven't seen an official 343 comment on this issue. Maybe there's a forum post out there somewhere but I haven't seen one.

It would be based on the latency that you have from your service provider. So to blame it on the game when it is your ISP is unfair.

Amneisac

It would be based on the latency that you have from your service provider. So to blame it on the game when it is your ISP is unfair.

Sorry, but that's a little bit weak. Say you have a great connection to a friend, 50ms. You're going to have 100ms of input lag under this situation that you wouldn't have playing games that aren't using this system. I understand why it's this way, but I think it's bad enough that they should have mentioned it before the game came out.

That's goofy man. I'm not going to go as far as posting speedtest.net screenshots, but believe me, latency is not the issue. I can do co-op just fine in other games.

Calm Killer

That's goofy man. I'm not going to go as far as posting speedtest.net screenshots, but believe me, latency is not the issue. I can do co-op just fine in other games.

I don't think it should come to that either, but in our case we have a 10 ms ping to our service provider, and the way the net code is that makes a difference, at least that is my understanding.

That'd be a good idea, since speedtest tests bandwidth and not latency.

It tests latency as well. The ping tab determines how long it takes for the packets to transfer.

If you want a number for the latency you're working with, just ping your DNS server, have your friend ping your DNS server, and add the two numbers. I played co-op with a friend in British Columbia, Canada (West Coast) and I'm in Maryland, USA (East Coast) and our ping is around 150ms. It was very palpable, but we took turns hosting, and we learned to deal with it. It's nothing new to people that have played Halo 3 Campaign, Halo 3: ODST Campaign and Firefight, and Halo: Reach Campaign and Firefight. The only difference in CEA from those games is that those games let you control your look without latency, since it's not necessary to synchronize your particular perspective to the host in lockstep networking. It may have been impossible for them to implement these same features in CEA given the circumstances.

Forgive me, but I'm having trouble understanding the terminal on Halo where
343 GS introduces himself.

The meeting of the monitors - that was on the Ark? When did it take place? After MB freaked out and activated the array the first time?

I'm still confused, and if someone could start at square one and explain this terminal it would be helpful.

Forgive me, but I'm having trouble understanding the terminal on Halo where
343 GS introduces himself.

The meeting of the monitors - that was on the Ark? When did it take place? After MB freaked out and activated the array the first time?

I'm still confused, and if someone could start at square one and explain this terminal it would be helpful.
Square One: You might want to spoiler tag that before someone sensitive complains.

It's not a big spoiler, but you can never be sure.

As for the actual questions:
- Yes, on the Ark.
- Most likely after the events of Cryptum but before the firing of the Halo array that wiped out the Flood 100,000 years ago.

FyreWulff

I don't think it should come to that either, but in our case we have a 10 ms ping to our service provider, and the way the net code is that makes a difference, at least that is my understanding.

It tests latency as well. The ping tab determines how long it takes for the packets to transfer.

The latency number only shows latency between you and the test server. And it always chooses the closest test server.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can we seriously please get some kind of statement about the horrendous input lag? It's incredibly worrying how 343 is just pushing it to the side like it isn't a problem. Is this how you're going to treat Halo 4? "It's released, not our problem anymore?"

As others have said, it's not a universal issue. We are looking into it, but one of the first things to try is fiddling with wireless router settings (easiest test is to plug into router/modem directly and see if you notice an improvement) - they can have a massive impact on non-host situations, just like (not coincientally -since we follow the same model for MP and Firefight) other Halo games. We're not ignoring it but we have to look at it clinically.

Other issues that will have an affect:

TV
ISP
Normal Input Latency

Square One: You might want to spoiler tag that before someone sensitive complains.

It's not a big spoiler, but you can never be sure.

As for the actual questions:
- Yes, on the Ark.
- Most likely after the events of Cryptum but before the firing of the Halo array that wiped out the Flood 100,000 years ago.

Haha, yeah, understandable.

So why did they abandon their rings?

Why were they conversing with Forerunners? Were those the librarians followers?

Was that before or after the other monitor said they deserved to be forgotten?

Nutter

Lockstep networking.

Me and my co-op bro have no problems and he's in Utah while i'm in Nebraska. It entirely depends on your latency, bandwidth doesn't matter.

If they had put the original multiplayer in, it would have had the same input latency issues as campaign. Because they would have had to use lockstep networking.

Halo Reach versus multiplayer does not use lockstep networking and therefore doesn't have input lag.

Holy moly, I dont agree with what Fyre has to say most of the time, but someone finally gets it...

Halo, Silent Cartographer and Assault On Control Room are still the best levels in any FPS ever, I hope 343 look to those for where to take the franchise with 4 onwards.

Spasm

Since OG MP MM got... Exchanged... Live co-op was the #1 selling point for me. Hoped it wasn't as bad as H3 or Reach (interestingly, ODST was pretty good). Guess I'll find out this weekend.

Amneisac

As others have said, it's not a universal issue. We are looking into it, but one of the first things to try is fiddling with wireless router settings (easiest test is to plug into router/modem directly and see if you notice an improvement) - they can have a massive impact on non-host situations, just like (not coincientally -since we follow the same model for MP and Firefight) other Halo games. We're not ignoring it but we have to look at it clinically.

TV
ISP
Normal Input Latency

I think it's pretty clear that in most cases this isn't something people can fix themselves unless they have some seriously screwed up networking in their house. Obviously most of the people experiencing the problem have played other co-op games on the same TV without issue. Synchronous co-op where even the camera controls are being sync'd with the host are 100% at fault here. Not someone using a 802.11G wireless adapter. Sure they might be able to shave a few ms off their connection to the host, but it's not going to improve things.

I'd love to know if there's a way to unlock the camera control at least for the 'client'.

Amneisac

Since OG MP MM got... Exchanged... Live co-op was the #1 selling point for me. Hoped it wasn't as bad as H3 or Reach (interestingly, ODST was pretty good). Guess I'll find out this weekend.

I can say that I played through Reach and Halo 3 multiple times co-op as host and client with no problems and this game is practically unplayable for me. I wouldn't have high hopes, but I guess some people are not as affected by it. I'm assuming they're either geographically very close to the host or they are somehow unaware of input lag. Maybe they have android brains or something.

To be fair, AotCR is pretty repetitive. And I prefer the Two Betrayals version of the level.

If you trick you'er way down at the first bridge you can cut a lot of the fluff out but I would take a level like that being too long rather then the narrow, more stream lined levels from H2.

I'm not a huge fan of Halo - The level. Feels a bit too repetitive for me.
Never felt Halo had that problem, being able to choose where to go in the last section makes it feel really open and different.

Karl2177

If you trick you'er way down at the first bridge you can cut a lot of the fluff out but I would take a level like that being too long rather then the narrow, more stream lined levels from H2.
The Human levels of H2 were pretty good. IMO 343i should be looking that the level design of Halo, Silent Cartographer, AotCR, Outskirts, Delta Halo, Tsavo Highway, Storm, Ark, Mombasa Streets, and NMPD HQ.

Never felt Halo had that problem, being able to choose where to go in the last section makes it feel really open and different.

But it's the same objective in every area. It's not a level I hate, I'm just not too fussed about it.

Spasm

I can say that I played through Reach and Halo 3 multiple times co-op as host and client with no problems and this game is practically unplayable for me. I wouldn't have high hopes, but I guess some people are not as affected by it. I'm assuming they're either geographically very close to the host or they are somehow unaware of input lag. Maybe they have android brains or something.

Yeah, Indiana to Utah. The only thing that gives me hope is they've been on 640k dsl, but now we're both fiber.

You're only now perceiving input lag that's always been there, only because the camera is now susceptible to it. Also, your latency will vary by host.

Halo:CEA is the first online co-operative Halo game that hosts on the party leader's box. Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach will choose the host automatically, so the only way to determine if you are the host is if you have no input lag.

I wonder if an asynchronous model can be adopted for Halo 4's co-operative modes.

KageMaru

Lockstep networking.

Me and my co-op bro have no problems and he's in Utah while i'm in Nebraska. It entirely depends on your latency, bandwidth doesn't matter.

If they had put the original multiplayer in, it would have had the same input latency issues as campaign. Because they would have had to use lockstep networking.

Halo Reach versus multiplayer does not use lockstep networking and therefore doesn't have input lag.

Your talking about the difference between synchronous and asynchronous net code, correct? CMP is asynchronous while co-op is generally synchronous since there is less margin for error due to latency or packet loss.

Meaning that there is no guarantee that the original multiplayer would experience the same latency issues.

TV
ISP
Normal Input Latency

I thought it was explained with Reach, or was it ODST, that firefight and co-op use a different type of netcode than competitive multiplayer. Generally there is more room for error in a CMP game than what's found in a cooperative type mode. Two players may disagree with who should die first, for example, due to latency, but when playing co-op, each player needs to be able to see the same thing, which is why a different type of net code is used. I could be entirely wrong, but I swear I learned about the different types of code used with one of the past Halo games.

Also, since you guys are looking into issues, is there any (microscopic) chance someone can look into the inconsistent frame rate? Was playing again last night and noticed the stuttering. It's a bigger issue than the co-op latency IMO.

Feindflug

no new epic trailer (with ingame/realtime stuff) at the vga awards would be a shame.

With Anniversary being out and the way Wolfkill and the other dude (forgot his name) from 343i talked about how much they want to share things with the community and show stuff in the gameinformer interview I'm pretty confident (and I hope I'm right) that we'll see something from Halo 4 at this year's VGA awards.

We'll most definitely not gonna see gameplay but a Reach-like trailer along with an info-screen blowout at gameinformer will be fine.

I'm really curious to see where they've gone art direction-wise and what Corrine Yu did to the Halo engine. :p

Karl2177

Your talking about the difference between synchronous and asynchronous net code, correct? CMP is asynchronous while co-op is generally synchronous since there is less margin for error due to latency or packet loss.

Meaning that there is no guarantee that the original multiplayer would experience the same latency issues.

I thought it was explained with Reach, or was it ODST, that firefight and co-op use a different type of netcode than competitive multiplayer. Generally there is more room for error in a CMP game than what's found in a cooperative type mode. Two players may disagree with who should die first, for example, due to latency, but when playing co-op, each player needs to be able to see the same thing, which is why a different type of net code is used. I could be entirely wrong, but I swear I learned about the different types of code used with one of the past Halo games.

Also, since you guys are looking into issues, is there any (microscopic) chance someone can look into the inconsistent frame rate? Was playing again last night and noticed the stuttering. It's a bigger issue than the co-op latency IMO.
CE multiplayer used lockstep. Halo 2 and onwards multiplayer used asynchronous.

KageMaru

With Anniversary being out and the way Wolfkill and the other dude (forgot his name) from 343i talked about how much they want to share things with the community and show stuff in the gameinformer interview I'm pretty confident (and I hope I'm right) that we'll see something from Halo 4 at this year's VGA awards.

We'll most definitely not gonna see gameplay but a Reach-like trailer along with an info-screen blowout at gameinformer will be fine.

I'm really curious to see where they've gone art direction-wise and what Corrine Yu did to the Halo engine. :p

I don't need to see gameplay, but a real time cut-scene/trailer would be enough for me. Just a glimpse of what we can expect from the game graphically is all I'm asking for.

CE multiplayer used lockstep. Halo 2 and onwards multiplayer used asynchronous.

I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up. I guess this was the case since the MP was designed with system link in mind?

edit:

It is guaranteed since Halo 1 multiplayer used lockstep networking, and a version of lockstep that assumed everyone was playing on the same hub.

Yeah, my mistake, didn't realize this before. Thanks for the explanation though.

Top Bottom