• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo CE not shutting down, Bungie to release a new patch.

I just recently started playing the game again with GeDoSaTo, and it's a definite treat. The multiplayer still holds up incredibly well, and I'm glad to see it's getting a little more support.

Wishlist:
- Steam Release
- A built-in controller profile
- Steam Workshop support for all the millions of Halo Custom maps out there.

Just installed this again the other day and tried using GeDoSaTo. How did you get yours to work? Even without GeDoSaTo I can't get my resolution above 1600x900, even with vidmode 1920,1080. Also game just doesn't wanna work for me on windows 8. Everytime I change the video settings it gives me the gathering exception data error. Was really craving to play some halo 1 again and the fact that it's getting patched to continue online is pretty awesome.

Yea. We're getting damn close to the GFWL service shutdown too. I really hope it's saved too but I still doubt it since the population on it's been dead from day 1. They just really screwed Halo 2 right out of the gate on PC. Sad too.

Its not going to get patched. All that Microst cares about is trying to get people to buy the XB1. They are praying that H2 Anniversary edition can be their fall title killer app that can save the One.

maneil99

Reminder that even though in 2014 every major digital distribution service has automatic patching and updating, Microsoft is about to release a patch that you have to manually download and install.

How else can they do it, the game is 13 years old...

scitek

Just installed this again the other day and tried using GeDoSaTo. How did you get yours to work? Even without GeDoSaTo I can't get my resolution above 1600x900, even with vidmode 1920,1080. Also game just doesn't wanna work for me on windows 8. Everytime I change the video settings it gives me the gathering exception data error. Was really craving to play some halo 1 again and the fact that it's getting patched to continue online is pretty awesome.

-vidmode 5120,2880,60

Whats was the opinion of this port anyway. Was it missing graphical effects from the Xbox version ? I know the animations were all locked to 30 FPS too.

Anteater

Kind of wish they'd fix it up and have a re-release, I have the xbox version but don't want to hook it up to replay it

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Whats was the opinion of this port anyway. Was it missing graphical effects from the Xbox version ? I know the animations were all locked to 30 FPS too.

Invisibility effects didn't render correctly on one brand of cards and the Jackel shields didn't turn red when attacked. You can lock the game framerate at 30 in the game to match the animation.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whoa, Korman00 is still working on Halo mods? Fond memories of him and everyone else on the Gearbox servers.

Edit: Whoa, that was over 10 years ago.

Wow, I've never played Halo in my life, but this is a great gesture from Bungie. They don't even own the Halo IP but they stand for the fans after all these years.

I wonder what's Microsoft role in all this. I mean, if Microsoft didn't sign off this patch, this would effectively be a fan release from Bungie.

Grief.exe

Wow, I've never played Halo in my life, but this is a great gesture from Bungie. They don't even own the Halo IP but they stand for the fans after all these years.

I wonder what's Microsoft role in all this. I mean, if Microsoft didn't sign off this patch, this would effectively be a fan release from Bungie.

Bungie probably has the source code and the patch has to be done manually, so Microsoft can't do anything to stop them. Not that they care anyways.

legacyzero

Banned
Awesome! I just reinstalled this yesterday in hopes to get some Cold Snap matches in before shut down. This is great news!

Meanwhile, EA is on the verge of allowing a significant chunk of their back catalog, including a large number of games in one of their biggest active franchises, lose their online functionality.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Meanwhile, EA is on the verge of allowing a significant chunk of their back catalog, including a large number of games in one of their biggest active franchises, lose their online functionality.

But really, that is Gamespy's issue. No one should be saying hurtful things about EA.

Kornman00. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I miss the old Halo modding days.

Bungie probably has the source code and the patch has to be done manually, so Microsoft can't do anything to stop them. Not that they care anyways.

Still seems weird to me just because it was Gearbox who did the port.

FyreWulff

In the last patch in 2008, Sawnose said he was able to patch it because the build-box for Halo PC is literally under his desk, and not at MS :lol

FyreWulff

Reminder that even though in 2014 every major digital distribution service has automatic patching and updating, Microsoft is about to release a patch that you have to manually download and install.

Halo PC supports auto updating. The last patch in 2008 was made available manually first, then put on the auto-update, to give server operators a chance to update before everyone was pushed to newest.

HTupolev

It's an okay port.

Some visual assets and effects (especially a lot of transparencies) look very weird and/or were replaced, and some visual effects including the game's animated fog are missing. The game is also arguably more fun with a gamepad, since it was designed around it.

The main plus sides are better IQ and performance, and of course it's easy to mod.

Basically, the original Xbox game is arguably better-tuned, but the PC version is better at being a PC game.

In the last patch in 2008, Sawnose said he was able to patch it because the build-box for Halo PC is literally under his desk, and not at MS :lol

That's hilarious. Thanks Bungie (and modders). You'd think Microsoft would release Halo for PC on some sort of digital service by now. Never really understood how they treat older Halo games.

FyreWulff

Patch is available

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post?id=64943622

Bungie is pleased to present a new update to Halo PC (and Custom Edition). The patches and dedicated servers are linked below. In a couple days once more servers have come online, the auto-update notice will be displayed in game.

more at the link

Patch Notes said:
Patch notes:
Bumped version to 1.0.10.0621
Moved Gamespy services to use new non-Gamespy server
Fixed a family of index-out-of-bounds bugs which had been exploited to crash clients
Made banlist parsing not case-sensitive
Removed halt on cache file verify error
Removed some verbose debug logging of gamespy connections
Fixed handling of video cards with >= 2GB of memory
Enabled refractive Active Camo on Nvidia cards, which had previously used an alpha fade. (AMD cards already have this)
Updated 2003-era upper bound on the video resolution picker. Use at your own risk; the game is untested at 4800x3600.
Updated chatbox settings to work with newer resolutions
Models node limit updated to 63
Fixed reading sv_ban_penalty from init.txt
Disabled executable_is_valid checksum from strings.dll
Allowed network access in devmode
Fixed parsing of custom map names containing a "."

The Gamespy-replacement server will soon gain support for authenticating CD keys, allowing server operators to create meaningful ban files to keep out griefers (who could otherwise easily create a new online ID). This feature is still in testing and is not yet active.

I used to play this back in the day. How many servers are still running?

WTB steam re-release. Where is my Halo trilogy on PC Bungie?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just connected and it looks like there are 6 servers running. All were empty.

Top Bottom