• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite bug downloads ~300MB of data after every match (Up: Bug patched)

Banned

tldr.:

the game downloads every single piece of thumbnail art and battlepass art over and over again every time you load into the menu

One user who monitored data traffic found that it literally tries to download the battlepass images 2000(!) times every time you load the game up or come out of a match.

playing 2 matches will result in roughly 1GB of downloaded data. (normal would be about 20MB to 60MB after 2 matches, depending on the game)

this is an issue for 2 reasons:

1. in the USA it's pretty common to have a data limit, and with these excessive downloads, for no good reason, you will chew through your data way faster than normally

2. the game's menu system is ridiculously fucking slow and laggy, and this is most likely a big, if not the absolute major reason why it is such a sluggish menu

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
The game need serious optimizations and the use of a network local cache, wake up devs !
Tapping Wake Up GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
2. the game's menu system is ridiculously fucking slow and laggy, and this is most likely a big, if not the absolute major reason why it is such a sluggish menu
I'm not a Halo gamer so none of this thread would affect me, but regarding sluggish menus which can happen in any game, I'll never understand how any dev team can make sluggish laggy menus. Bethesda games are the worst. Skyrim, Fallout have this laggy feel where there's a split second delay when you try to flip through the menus or tabs of content.

You'd think a menu screen would be the easiest and fastest thing to show on a screen compared to gameplay going on.

Last edited:
Not a single game so far has beaten Starsiege : Tribes’ network performance for 64 to 128 players all the way back in 1998. It was fucking playable on a 56k modem! With flying vehicles, flying peoples, their guns exploding in the air and skiing on terrain, tons of physics.

It’s really sad, we’re regressing.
We?

Pelta88

This happens more regularly than you think. I mean, Halo is pretty much a disaster in many aspects. And yes, 343 are 0-4-3.

But this background data transfer happens at varying sizes when it comes to multiplayer ip. Overwatch. before optimization patches, would have broken my internet if I didn't have unlimited broadband.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Is this info vetted? Is it possible they had a game updating in the background. Only reason I ask is my cousin plays a good bit and is on a 25Mb plan and it would take ages for him to download all that data even if it's running at full throttle. Wouldn't it take forever to load into the match if it was downloading all that data?

Is this info vetted? Is it possible they had a game updating in the background. Only reason I ask is my cousin plays a good bit and is on a 25Mb plan and it would take ages for him to download all that data even if it's running at full throttle. Wouldn't it take forever to load into the match if it was downloading all that data?

Don't you mean 25GB plan?

I really hope it isn't 25MB.

Edit: Unless your talking about speed. I get caps and download speeds confused.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Don't you mean 25GB plan?

I really hope it isn't 25MB.
No, 25Mb per second, not 25MB. He lives in the sticks and uses att. There is no way I could deal with it personally. When buying my home, probably the third thing I did was check available Internet options.

Edit: 25Mbps

Last edited:
I've never measured the amount of data being used but this wouldn't surprise me. For some reason the game often has to reload a lot of previously loaded information with each menu selection and sub menu selection. You'd think once your character, stats, progress and everything has loaded you'd be able to zip through the menu (maybe it works that way for others) but not for me.

Damn what’s OPs problem with halo? Usually when I don’t like a game I just ignore it.
It's the mascot of Xbox, pretty big deal that the studio behind Infinite has screwed up EVERY Halo release they have had except the original Halo anniversary game on 360, which surprise, was their first game and was a safe project.

MarkMe2525

Fake news. Just played two rounds and averaged around 80MB a round.

Edit: Bad maths :( 65MB 01011001 01011001
I also would like to point out I am using a Series X so this very well could be an issue with the PC version of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom