• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite build was supposedly 4 months old

RAIDEN1

I don't care if its 4 months old or 4 days old, Microsoft had to make sure that they were delivering the goods, more so on their most powerful console they have ever developed since they got in the game in 2001, instead we got anything but jaw-dropping footage, it wasn't bad but it wasn't anything that said welcome to the next level...

replicant-

It means that they had 4 months to watch that and come to the realization it made no sense to show it.

Makes perfect sense not to divert team members to create another vertical slice.

Especially this close to launch. Demos aren't created by flipping a swich.

Freeman

Banned
Makes perfect sense not to divert team members to create another vertical slice.

Yep, we've seen by how people reacted that they made the right decision to show it.

Last edited:

images

It wouldn't have been difficult for them to show a snippet of an updated build. They could have released it alongside the demo to show people that the final product looks much better.

Arkam

But they wouldn't need to create anything. This is not a demo you are putting on a show floor where it needs to lock stuff out. This is an in house demo. You just grab the last known stable build and have QA beat on it for a sprint and if they don't find anything too bad call it a day and show it off. Should still have all the debug in the game so they can just jump to whatever event.

Abear21

Banned
Halo is supposedly going to be a launch title and they show a 4 month old build.

Meanwhile Flight Sim releases on PC in 3 weeks, it looks photorealistic, and they don’t show it. It’s the best looking game I’ve seen in a long time and a Microsoft product. Why show something not ready and not show something that looks amazing and is ready? Wtf are they thinking?

Athreous

Back in 2008 I got myself a xbox 360 because it had some exclusives that the PS3 didnt have, but nowdays... Most of the games are released on PC too, so I don't really get why some people prefer it instead of a PS/Switch or a PC.

I am amazed by the people who are saying you can't expect much from that demo during Covid with a couple month development time, but they are also implying the game will be amazing by launch... which is in a couple months... during Covid.

Oh I love the spin. I love how it makes no sense when lined up to the other spin.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
I am amazed by the people who are saying you can't expect much from that demo during Covid with a couple month development time, but they are also implying the game will be amazing by launch... which is in a couple months... during Covid.

Oh I love the spin. I love how it makes no sense when lined up to the other spin.

Honesty at this point would mean a shitshow the likes of which GAF has rarely seen. Imagine if 343 actually admitted that one of MS's biggest franchises was effectively compromised to the point of killing the series with such gross mismanagement. Halo: Infinite is not going to suck just because of the graphics. The game is going to suck, period, based upon what we've seen. There is nothing here that couldn't be accomplished graphically in 2013, and nothing that we've seen gameplay-wise that couldn't have been done in 2008.

jigglet

Banned

lol that's a good point

Lone Wolf

People are delusional because Halo Infinite has been under development since 2015. COVID has been about 5 months of that. This game is a disaster and has probably been rebooted at least once. 343 fucked up yet again. I expect it to release this November, and the Series X version will get a bunch of updates and changes over the next year or so to bring it up to a level it should have been at launch. “Smart Delivery” is horseshit marketing that was probably created for this exact situation to cover up what will most likely be small updates over time. I also expect Gears 5 to be heavily pushed as a series X showcase since it actually looks good with what they showed so far. pretty pathetic if I am right but what else do they have to show off the “worlds most powerful console”.

4 months old? its not like they can take it from looking like halo 5 to making it look like its actually next gen in that time frame

i mean with those graphics this game should at least have full fledged ray tracing

the weird part is that all the insiders (who got everything else right) were saying Halo Infinite looked phenomenal

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

The irony is all other devs are going through the same thing right now with the pandemic (some with far less resources than Microsoft) yet they have good looking titles to show off. This isn't an isolated issue to just 343i and freaking Microsoft, 343i's parent company, is one of the big tech companies and is pushing collaborative software and services like Teams hard right now.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm really curious: how many games that actively looked bad at their E3 unveiling went on to look substantially better when they launched, when that launch was within 4 months of their E3 showing?

I don't mean games like God of War - which looked decent at E3 and went on to look even better a year later when they launched - I mean games that were bad at E3 and went on look good at launch when launch was right around the corner?

I legitimately cannot think of a single one. I can think of many, many, many, many games that looked worse at launch than they did at E3. Given that Halo Infinite already looked substantially worse in gameplay than it ever did during its initial reveal, I fully expect it to look worse, not better, when release day comes around... because that's how marketing fluff works. They put their absolute best foot forward, even when that best foot is produced by a strike team and is no way representative of the work the rest of the developer is actually doing for the final game.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing how Halo Infinite is going to improve enough by launch to be anything other than a cross gen game with hugely disappointing visuals even for a cross gen game.

This leak honestly sounds like it's full of shit. The switch of engines lead to a longer developmental cycle, but did not "set back" development. The "they planned on using UE4 but ended up using slipspace" sounds like bullshit too. When they made the decision to dump the BLAM engine, I imagine that maybe they looked into different available engines (such as Unreal) but the decision to make a new engine would have been made in like mid 2016 still and that would have been final.

I wouldn't take much stock in this leak tbh. It reminds me of the "PS5 14+TF" or "Xbox One has a dedicated GPU in the PSU" stuff to make their "side" look better and will make any bullshit excuses they can.

VAVA Mk2

I think we just need to accept this is the end of the road for this franchise and 343i killed what was once a respected franchise. So sad.

BRZBlue

This leak honestly sounds like it's full of shit. The switch of engines lead to a longer developmental cycle, but did not "set back" development. The "they planned on using UE4 but ended up using slipspace" sounds like bullshit too. When they made the decision to dump the BLAM engine, I imagine that maybe they looked into different available engines (such as Unreal) but the decision to make a new engine would have been made in like mid 2016 still and that would have been final.

I wouldn't take much stock in this leak tbh. It reminds me of the "PS5 14+TF" or "Xbox One has a dedicated GPU in the PSU" stuff to make their "side" look better and will make any bullshit excuses they can.

So, here's the rub. I'm seeing a lot of the same issues with Halo Infinite that we had with previous games (issues with foliage, draw distance, etc.). Is this "really" a new engine from the ground-up? Or is this more a case of rewriting the renderer and a few other things and calling it a "new" engine?

So, here's the rub. I'm seeing a lot of the same issues with Halo Infinite that we had with previous games (issues with foliage, draw distance, etc.). Is this "really" a new engine from the ground-up? Or is this more a case of rewriting the renderer and a few other things and calling it a "new" engine?

I have no idea honestly, but I would not be surprised if Slipspace is using at least some things from the BLAM engine to ensure that the game still feels like Halo in gameplay. But things like issues with foliage and draw distances would not be indicative of it being just a modified version of BLAM (but honestly, "game engine" is such a broad term anyway but I digress) and just indicative of Halo Infinite being an in-development game that still needs some more hardware level optimizations

diffusionx

Gold Member

Developers almost never start over from scratch, and it's usually not a good idea. Much easier and more productive to iterate on tech you already know works. I highly doubt this is totally completely brand new. That doesn't excuse these issues, of course, as they can all be fixed without throwing everything out.

Top Bottom