• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Dunkey Review

He calls it the best Microsoft triple A game in a decade, amazing gameplay loop and the grappling hook and open world is fantastic.

says the story telling, level design, and variety is lacking and stopping it from reaching those heights the previous games reached

personally I’m a big halo fan and loved infinite, and agreed with everything he said. Seems like he really liked the game and it has a lot of potential

Valt7786

Grappling hook is definitely the best thing they've ever added to Halo. Makes exploring that open world a pure joy.
They definitely dropped it on the story and indoor levels though which is a shame.
So much seems to have happened between 5 and Infinite that if you only play the games (like me) you'll be like "wtf is going on" at the start.

If this was 343's first Halo game I'd be really optimistic. Not saying much, but it's easily their best work. I agree with his critique. Gameplay loop is great but there are only 2 environments. The indoor environment is amazingly boring after the first few. It really puts me out. I've been punctuating my sessions at the power seed parts. I never want to see a power seed again.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I agree with the story and lack of variety. Other than that it’s top tier for sure. It’s definitely very fun to run around taking out areas.

CRAIG667

I absolutely loved the campaign, the goodbye at the end brought wet eyeballs to my face!
Currently doing all the end game bits and pieces and can't wait to see what they add next story wise to the campaign.

Best FPS multiplayer since Titanfall imo, really tight and punchy gameplay.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Nail on the head with the comparison of the MP maps vs what is in the open world.

Playing the Halo MP, I was kinda hoping they were based on places in the campaign. Ah well.

Schnozberry

The campaign definitely feels like an unfinished product. I hope they live up to the promise of real expansion. What's there isn't bad, it just feels like there are quite a few threads left dangling at the end.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's a remarkable game. I literally can't decide if I want to play SP or MP when I turn it on. It's actually kindah frustrating.

On second thought: fuck Halo

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Halo Infinite campaign is easily the highlight of the game, too bad the MP is a microtransaction nightmare

dem

This review is on point…

So much of the game is shit. The story, the cut scenes, the repetitive mission types and enemies.

But somehow it’s pretty fun to play.

Last edited:
A spot on review. Brilliant gameplay, rushed game very much lacking in the story, enemies and variety departments. I especially agree with the call backs to Halo CE/2 having so much more in their given frameworks. Infinite could very well become a lot more given time and the right decisions being made. Hopefully 343 use the time and expansions well. Shit better not be years more in the making, again. Poor planning and execution in that department, again.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Yeah. It was a very good campaign on its own. My main gripe is that the third game in a row they're dumping the narrative threads from the last one for a new baddie that thus far seems unearned in existing lore, unless this is tying into Precursors in the end. But still, best Halo game they've made for sure.

I'm at least more interested now in seeing where this goes than I was at the end of Guardians, and hopefully being one game that they expand for 10 years will make for more consistent story telling rather than dumping old plot threads some people didn't like and making up something new, with Infinite in place it now just shows more than ever Guardians was a weird side quest.

Barakov

"They're trying to retcon Halo 4 and 5 but Master Chief won't cooperate" :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I'll give it up.

The gameplay in Halo Infinite was fantastic. Everything else ranges from pretty good to eh. Planning and execution seem to be 343's biggest issues they need to work on. It actually made me want to play through the Bungie Halos again, though.

It seems like the series biggest problem is having all this cool stuff happening off screen. It's crazy that it keeps on happening.

bender

What time is it?
Calling it the best AAA game that Microsoft has put out in a decade is an interesting take.

It does sound like he's really enjoying sandbox in Infinite which is great as that's what made CE so special for so many. All of his likes and dislikes makes this sound like the Just Cause 2 of the Halo series. If you can see past the faults, it's just plain fun.

Most hardcore Halo lore fans, me included, seem to love the story, not sure what about the story some don't appear to be connecting with, but I think 343 knocked the story out of the park. It has a superior story to Halo Reach, superior story to Halo 3, I love Halo 4's story a ton, and I think it beats that one, too, love Halo 2's story, and loved Halo CE's as well, and Infinite's story overall I feel has elements that rivals all, but has other elements that puts it above the rest. Best character development work and writing the series has ever seen. Best villains too in my eyes.

"Turns out, after killing everyone in the universe who opposed her, she lost to a monkey"

dying

If they ACTUALLY say that then that just goes to show they didn't understand what actually transpired. :p

She didn't lose to anybody. She made a better choice, a bet even. Seems it went over lots of people's heads.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
His opinion is accurate. Open world is like two bigger maps.... not real open world. WHICH IS GOOD since I would hate open world.
Gameplay was great, levels later were terrible. Grappling hook is very fun but also the whole game now just depends on it.
that and technical issues like bad framerate on pc, 30fps facial animation, stutter etc

GymWolf

Spot on review, grapple hook better thing in the game by a longshot, crap story and villain, super fun in the open spaces, much less in the copy paste forerunner ruins and bland open world activities.

Literally a game where gameplay does 95% of the heavy lifting.

I remember asking where the other biomes in this game were going to be since they haven't shown anything but what we've seen and got some salty ass replies here lol

I was sincerely hoping they'd have more unique biomes, but I guess just the two different areas is apparently good enough for some players.

Anyway, the game most definitely makes up for it by gameplay - let's hope their next iteration would prove more expansive to what they built upon.

Leyasu

Banned
Halo infinite MP is the imo the best arena shooter to date.

The campaign is also pretty great. Yet no coop and to an extent the lack of biome diversity does hurt it. I don’t agree with enemy variety being a problem when some games you fight just humans period. Just seems like an excuse to criticise the game.

But, after all that, I can’t help but feel that if 343 were a competent studio, this game would have been even more.

plip.plop

I don't think the campaign is done. I think they will add more content via episodes since this was planned as a ten-year life cycle game akin to what gears of war 5 did with hivebusters. My theory is this is how they will introduce different environments like the ones that were shown in multiplayer.

This review is on point…

So much of the game is shit. The story, the cut scenes, the repetitive mission types and enemies.

But somehow it’s pretty fun to play.

Also close to my feeling with this Halo, so many things broken or done like shit. But for me, funniest game I played this year so far.

But...but ... but I thought this game was going to be terrible because of 'the diversity'?

It seems as if a diverse studio can put out an ok game after all! Who'd have thought it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
MP is the true winner here, but the campaign is the best we have had since CE. The story is a mess though.

DryvBy

This is how I felt. The game feels like a mess once you get into the open world with just the same content over and over.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Am I allowed to say I thought the campaign was "average" without a bunch of people mobbing me about an opinion yet?

The sad thing is I found the singleplayer enjoyable enough if somewhat dull once you got over the openworld bits... like when I captured my 5th identical fob, but really it's "infinitely" better than there's cut off "but it's free" multiplayer...

Like I get it the sandbox is pretty good, but everything surrounding that is shit and headscratching.... like 343 can't just copy a single part they have to twist something in someway and stamp there name on it. Sadly I think past the honeymoon period multiplayer will go the way of Halo 5 Guaridans, it will retain a small niche community that will be progressively more milked as less and less people play.

Overall as part of gamepass, yeah sure whatever, but £50 naaaaaa hard pass, maybe £20.

I would also point out I predicted that this would work like some Generic Ubisoft game and got mocked and told to "stop trolling" guess what I was actually right the game does have "towers" that's literally what FOB's are. Alongside "outposts" to liberate and generic repeating side activities... its literally an Ubisoft template with a Halo skin.

Last edited:
This game would have been rated at 79 on metacritic if not for all the bias microsoft outlets reviews giving it a 100/100

This is a clear example of people wanting a game to be more than what it was due to the ‘politics’ surrounding it. People screaming this is the BOTW halo were full of complete and utter shit.

The review outlets were acting like Halo pretty much invented grappling hooks

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Halo Infinite campaign is easily the highlight of the game, too bad the MP is a microtransaction nightmare
Is it? I just boot it up and hit play, I think it’s fantastic.

Where are the microtransactions? I’ve genuinely not encountered them.

NinjaBoiX

He's right guys, there's nothing about the Micros in multiplayer it's a full 20$ for a helmet and paint job.
I honestly have never encountered that, you must have to go out of your way to find the store or whatever.

If it’s just cosmetic stuff then what’s the problem? I couldn’t care less personally.

Ultra Donny

I can only agree that story and indoor environments is the weakest part of the game. Another criticism I have is, despite being the largest Halo campaign (as 343i claims) it feels the most confined due to the lack of environmental difference. But I like the game a lot anyway.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I honestly have never encountered that, you must have to go out of your way to find the store or whatever.

If it’s just cosmetic stuff then what’s the problem? I couldn’t care less personally.

Ah don't worry then if it's just you personally you can understand that alot of other people do give a shit, so it is a problem.

As its just you "PERSONALLY" that does not.

Couple this with it ruining big team battle, limited map selection, and no "fun" modes, no forge, no coop, no firefight, no infection, no heavy etc etc its just a bit shit really.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
This guy is hilarious. Is his schtick that he finds one game mechanic and uses it ad nauseum? He did the same thing with Deathloop and it was hilarious. I gather that he wasn't a big fan of Deathloop, but he seems to really have enjoyed Halo Infinite.

GymWolf

This game would have been rated at 79 on metacritic if not for all the bias microsoft outlets reviews giving it a 100/100

This is a clear example of people wanting a game to be more than what it was due to the ‘politics’ surrounding it. People screaming this is the BOTW halo were full of complete and utter shit.

The review outlets were acting like Halo pretty much invented grappling hooks
They did the same with botw and gliding tbh.

LordOfChaos

If they ACTUALLY say that then that just goes to show they didn't understand what actually transpired. :p

She didn't lose to anybody. She made a better choice, a bet even. Seems it went over lots of people's heads.

It was the Weapon that locked her down and Monke basically just broke into the server room her last hard drive was on, so she had already lost to be forced to make that choice

Top Bottom