• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite multiplayer won't have per-match XP, will be based on completion of challenges

What model do you prefer

• Kills and performance earn XP

Votes: 75 58.6%
  • Winning/Playing matches and challenges earn XP

Votes: 53 41.4%

• Total voters

Andodalf

Banned
A person with 2 kills on warzone doesnt level the same as one with 10 kills. If you don't know the difference then there's no point entertaining this discussion. You're just taking this like console warrior garbage.

LMAO IMAGINE POSITING THIS CONFIDENTLY AND BEING WRONG!!!!!

THATS ACCOUNT LEVEL! IN COD BP LEVEL IS SEPERATE!

Woooooooow!

They're really trying hard to fuck this up. No way should someone who goes 20 - 0 be afforded the same amount of leveling up as someone who goes 0 -20 strictly because of challenges.

343 for most incompetent devs ever.

I don’t agree with everyone saying 343 are incompetent BUT I agree with the way you put this.

Players should be rewarded for playing competitively as that’s the main point of the game.

Allforce

So there won't be a ranking system at all besides maybe skill rank? Or is that gone too? Been awhile since I played the other games.

I wasn't in the test flight so I'm not sure. They'd be smart to separate the Battle Pass tiers from your individual XP level but nothing I've seen these guys do or say in the last year and a half has inspired much confidence.

Someone mentioned "Double XP" tokens in Infinite so I'd imagine those would apply to your Player XP and not the Battle Pass so hopefully that's the track they're going down.

Concern

I wasn't in the test flight so I'm not sure. They'd be smart to separate the Battle Pass tiers from your individual XP level but nothing I've seen these guys do or say in the last year and a half has inspired much confidence.

Someone mentioned "Double XP" tokens in Infinite so I'd imagine those would apply to your Player XP and not the Battle Pass so hopefully that's the track they're going down.

I was in the flight test and only really noticed one thing leveling system which showed 1 to 2 for example. Didn't pay attention to if it was a rank or battle pass related. I know they mentioned something about testing battle pass in the flight but really didn't care for it. Just wanted to play the game.

Last edited:
Time to git gud, losers.

halo-master-chief.gif

sainraja

It's kinda like Hearthstone although I do think you get some XP from playing a round. I think they should just do both. As others have said, Apex does it. Perhaps there is a reason for doing it this way which will become clear at launch?

Banned
I expect them to change this. It doesn't sound good. Just do it like apex....

...basically like @Stuart360 says Why not both?

to be fair, earning battle pass stars by simply playing matches in Apex takes ages. 1 level up gives you 1 star, and you need 10 stars to level up 1 battle pass level.

the average match XP is around 4000xp, and that's if the match was relatively long (as time played gives you the most xp by far)
you need 5000 xp to get 1 level up.
that means in order to level up 1 battle pass level in Apex you need to play for about 2.5 hours, that is 2.5 hours of time spend IN A MATCH, waiting in the menu not included.

basically, what I'm saying is, it might as well not exist, you gain maybe a handful of levels that way across the span of a season, but it wouldn't be much different without this

Last edited:

Allforce

Something else I just read that basically confirms this is all analytics-based to drive revenue (duh): There's a system to buy coins to re-roll challenges.

That's the system I believe they're creating, full stop. You'll have your basic ass challenges available (Complete 3 Matches of Capture The Flag, Kill 20 Enemies With a Sniper) but there will be some algorithm that has a shitty/impossible one in your queue that will drive enough people crazy and they'll pay to swap it out.

Black Ops Cold War has this system without the paying part (yet!), you can swap out challenges whenever you want but the "pool" of challenges changes every 24 hours. There's always some easy ones but there is also ALWAYS a bunch of shitty ones that I will never attempt (Get 5 Kills While Riding in a Vehicle, Hack 5 Enemy Field Upgrades with the Spycraft Perk, etc). Also they're not mandatory for Battle Pass progression in any way so it's just for Player XP and some doodads.

So 343 just took it to the next logical business step. I bet the "pool" will be smaller and the refresh rate much longer. And the entire Battle Pass progression is tied to it. Want that cool Fallout Helmet at Level 90 on the BP? Well just buy a coin and swap out that challenge for an easier one and get'r done!

But I'm just speculating trying to see this as the best way to make money and not what players particularly care for or want.

Graciaus

I don't care about leveling up or cosmetics. If each match doesn't have get x amount of kills with a BR I'll be pretty low.

Banned
Dont force me to play modes/weapons I dont want to play ruins a game for me
yeah I don't like stuff like that either. I have no issue with challenges that take skill like "have a positive K/D" or "get 20 kills in 1 match", stuff like that.
but every game like this always has to have dumb shit.

Apex is sometimes really bad, like having challenges that actively require your team to suck in order to be completed. one of these is "respawn 10 teammates" for example... like, BITCH why do you want my team to be bad at the fucking game in order to complete a challenge? wtf?

but at least in Apex there are more than enough challenges to easily get to level 110 each season. I usually am done by week 6 or 7, and the rest of the weekly challenges can then be ignored. they also have regular smaller challenge events these days that give you Battlepass progression.

but still, challenges that make you play badly should not be in a game.

what I also would say tho, in Halo, you don't really have a choice of which weapon you wanna use. you always spawn with the same weapons as everyone else, and you better fight for the power weapons or you are a liability for your team. so having a challenge like "kill 5 enemies with the sniper rifle" should not he an issue as having the sniper in your possession is highly encouraged in Halo as it is important for your team to control the power weapons as much as possible.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yeah I don't like stuff like that either. I have no issue with challenges that take skill like "have a positive K/D" or "get 20 kills in 1 match", stuff like that.
but every game like this always has to have dumb shit.

Apex is sometimes really bad, like having challenges that actively require your team to suck in order to be completed. one of these is "respawn 10 teammates" for example... like, BITCH why do you want my team to be bad at the fucking game in order to complete a challenge? wtf?

but at least in Apex there are more than enough challenges to easily get to level 110 each season. I usually am done by week 6 or 7, and the rest of the weekly challenges can then be ignored. they also have regular smaller challenge events these days that give you Battlepass progression.

but still, challenges that make you play badly should not be in a game.

what I also would say tho, in Halo, you don't really have a choice of which weapon you wanna use. you always spawn with the same weapons as everyone else, and you better fight for the power weapons or you are a liability for your team. so having a challenge like "kill 5 enemies with the sniper rifle" should not he an issue as having the sniper in your possession is highly encouraged in Halo as it is important for your team to control the power weapons as much as possible.
Its one thing say in COD if you want the nicer camos for guns you have to play weapons that just suck.

Its another to complete stupid shit just to get match xp.

Andodalf

Banned
I was in the flight test and only really noticed one thing leveling system which showed 1 to 2 for example. Didn't pay attention to if it was a rank or battle pass related. I know they mentioned something about testing battle pass in the flight but really didn't care for it. Just wanted to play the game.
The level in the flight was just BP

Also this system is the same as MCC isn't it? Everyone seems fine with MCC

i never care for battle passes so idc about this other than the fact that it will have my teammates in ranked game trying to do suboptimal things just to complete challenges. this could really hinder gameplay.

also, this better have no bearing on how ranked levels are determined either.

stuff like this is fun in games like BF that arent too competitive. sounds awful in any ranked playlists in halo

Codes 208

I prefer both together otherwise it just feels like a slow grind when its either or. I mean yes thats fine for ranks but considering theyre going the season pass route im not sure how i feel about this

Havoc2049

The amount of concerned Karens in here who obviously know nothing about Battlepass/XP challenges in Halo games is laughable.

First of all, there isn't really enough info in that tweet to get worked up over or to be happy about. The tweet is just about Battlepass. Halo MCC for example has Battlepass, an overall lifetime rank and seasonal game/mode specific competitive ranks. Then you have all the traditional W/L ratios and K/D/A stats, etc.

The majority of the weekly and seasonal Battlepass challenges can be completed by skillful players much quicker, so skill is rewarded. A player with skill will hit a 50 kill weekly challenge for example in two or three games, while a player who sucks, it may take them five or six games.

Most of the PVP challenges are generic and can be completed just by playing the game how you want or just jump in a specific mode for a few games to complete challenges quicker. A Complete 50 multiplayer games seasonal challenge doesn't really effect how you want to play the game. A 50 Head Shot challenge for example can be grinded in traditional Slayer or BTB, or jump into a few Sniper or SWAT matches to quickly knock the challenge out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont play Halo, so my reply really goes for any shooter.

With whats said in the OP, I originally thought it would be OK to do XP like that if players/teams work together to win matches, do objectives and shit like that. So lone wolfers like me hogging K/D (and wins! as my win % in COD is always about 60-65% with randoms where I try to win and not get killed in TDM) dont progress trying to be selfish.

BUT, if the XP is geared to dumb shit like personal objectives like stated in the OP, thats retarded. There's enough gamers acting like lone wolfs or snipers on a hill, but to tease gamers to play our of their norm and hunt for XP doing weird shit (likely at the cost of playing a more effective match), that'll probably sink the team.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Why not both?
Yeah, I think having both would be great. Some people like to complete challenges, some people just like to going points and see numbers go up. I personally don't mind which route they take, but finding a way to do both would be great to make sure both kinds of players are content.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't have an Xbox, and don't plan on picking one up in the near future. No, it's not cause I don't like Xbox, I just don't have the free time for another console.

OT: Not the biggest fan of this, as I am horrible at challenges. IDK if this happens to anyone else, but I find myself so focused on trying to perform the specific tasks/challenge that I end up playing the game horribly, doing horrible, and overall not enjoying it much. I usually revert back to just playing the game and ignoring the challenges... hoping that I'll eventually get them from just playing the game. Like someone said, why not both? At least you get some XP for completing matches. IDK this game sounds pretty hardcore LOL

Last edited:
Regardless I'll continue to get dunked on by the kids on MP these days. Tried playing some MCC the other night and got my ass smoked went 2/17.

Fbh

As long as this is all just related to some battle pass that unlocks strictly cosmetic stuff I don't really care how the system works.

I hate that cod has ruined online shooters. Everything needs this faux profession to move a bar along and unlock shit.

Games become less about the fun, more about the grind.

It doesn't have to be if you don't want it to.
I've been playing rocket league since it launched, never given a shit about any of the battlepass or overall grind. I just like to play ranked matches with the regular car (I did buy the Delorean though)

dcmk7

Banned
You shitposting in Xbox threads rather than stick Playstation threads is the only "fascinating" thing around here.

Faust Faust can we start clearing out the obvious shitposting trolls?
Insane levels of hypocrisy here :messenger_tears_of_joy: Gaf at its finest.

But back on topic and away from that stupidity..

It looks like it's going to be slammed by everyone anyway, but this doesn't seem a big deal and has been blown out of proportion.

No per match XP "at launch"...they mean they will have this later? So they overhaul the progression system/rebalance the game sometime after launch?? How, why do this?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What 343 are doing here imo is trying to produce a 'level playing field' where no one gets left behind,
Well, live services need people to keep playing and user base to grow… they are optimising for that… :/… as it kind of should have been expected. Engagement Uber-All…

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not a fan. Never complete challenges deliberately on Gears, Rocket League or Apex. Tedious as fuck. I don’t want to use certain weapons or do certain things. Let me get more exp based on my skill level please (although I realise they won’t do this so the scrubs can still feel great about themselves).

Flutta

Banned
Forcing you to ”work” for some XP is not what you call fun gameplay.

Basicaly they want you to put in more time and effort into the MP. Don’t think this is the best way to go about it.

There was another game that tried this method and failed doing so, if i remember correctly. Not sure which game it was tho 🧐

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Ngl I just remembered that all you unlock is cosmetic gear and I suddenly don’t care about this anymore. If people want to goof around, instead of help the team, it’s not necessarily a good thing, but I don’t care.

I just didn’t want to have to do it myself.

carry on.

BigBooper

I like a combination, with most of the focus on matches, like Battlefield does it. This might be similar, just balanced a little different.

Top Bottom