• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Should Have Just Stayed With Same Engine They Used To Make Halo 1-5.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Not sure if its common knowledge but Halo 1-5 was made with the same game engine continuously improved. Looking at Halo 4/5(343's work) compared to Infinite its clear creating this Slipspace Engine and using it for the first time has hindered Halo Infinite's visuals. Halo 4 has awesome visuals and just look at the realtime cutscenes of Halo 5:

If we would have got in game visuals equal or better than these cutscenes in asset quality everyone would be happy. The lesson is "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Rose tinted glasses. Let's not forget even at the time Halo 5 copped a ton of shit for its visuals. It was never the looker. Remember background animations being 30fps? Or the threads here ripping it for trading visuals for 60fps?

Halo 4 tried to push visual boundaries. Halo 5 did not (that being said, I'm glad for it...60fps all the way).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm assuming slipspace has a lot of shared tech with the previous engine. It's pretty rare to get a complete engine from literally nothing these days.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Rose tinted glasses. Let's not forget even at the time Halo 5 copped a ton of shit for its visuals. It was never the looker. Remember background animations being 30fps? Or the threads here ripping it for trading visuals for 60fps?

Halo 4 tried to push visual boundaries. Halo 5 did not (that being said, I'm glad for it...60fps all the way).

I believe if they would have stayed with that engine you would get a downgraded version for Xbox One but you would have gotten a much better looking Series X version due to 343's experience with the engine. The real time cutscenes of 5 show that they could have pushed much greater visuals with it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Not sure if its common knowledge but Halo 1-5 was made with the same game engine continuously improved. Looking at Halo's 4/5(343's work) compared to Infinite its clear creating this Slipspace Engine and using it for the first time has hindered Halo Infinite's visuals. Halo 4 has awesome visuals and just look at the realtime cutscenes of Halo 5:

If we would have got in game visuals close or better than these cutscenes in asset quality every would be happy. The lesson is "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Fully agreed, this is a trap sometimes smart techies easily fall into. The nice shiny new tech can be promising and exciting but it can take you years to become productive with it. Square had very archaic tech in the PS2 days (comparatively to a lot of western devs), but their devs and especially artists were very very very very productive with it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm assuming slipspace has a lot of shared tech with the previous engine. It's pretty rare to get a complete engine from literally nothing these days.

Yeah, you would end up recreating (loading and streaming, etc...) bugs and retraining your artists and tech artists and developers to be proficient with the new tech would lead to a lot less impressive first showing of your product despite the engine having potential...

🤔...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, you would end up recreating (loading and streaming, etc...) bugs and retraining your artists and tech artists and developers to be proficient with the new tech would lead to a lot less impressive first showing of your product despite the engine having potential...

🤔...

Uh sure?

Andodalf

Banned
That engine might’ve had serious limitations for what they wanted to do in terms of Open world design and “RPG” mechanics

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Well, if it quacks like a duck... else just find a proper senior SW engineer and propose to rewrite a moderately complex system used daily in production from scratch and see the look they give you while they sigh hehe.

Last edited:

Three

Not sure if its common knowledge but Halo 1-5 was made with the same game engine continuously improved. Looking at Halo 4/5(343's work) compared to Infinite its clear creating this Slipspace Engine and using it for the first time has hindered Halo Infinite's visuals. Halo 4 has awesome visuals and just look at the realtime cutscenes of Halo 5:

If we would have got in game visuals equal or better than these cutscenes in asset quality everyone would be happy. The lesson is "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Halo 5 had prerendered cutscenes. Maybe created in the engine but prerendered nonetheless.

It literally is the same engine with a different name, like how Bethesda pretends the "Creation Engine" isn't Gamebryo.

Last edited:

speedomodel

I mean Halo 5's cutscenes were great, but in-game was nothing amazing. Halo 4 was more impressive when it launched. I'm excited to see more on Infinite, was very happy with what I saw.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I wasn’t posting here back when H5 came out but I think it looks really good and of course, 60fps is awesome. If people were bitching, well that’s why AAA games don’t come out at 60fps.

Halo 4 is one of the best looking games of that gen, and on MCC, it still looks amazing for the most part.

yup. What’s your point?

I don't think the game have pure visuals due to 60FPS is true. Sure you have to sacrifice visuals to obtain that framerate. But the game looks pretty poor overall. I'm pretty sure it's possible to have much better looking visuals at 60FPs. In my opinion I think they had some development issues with the game and that's due to 343 not being as competent as their other 1st party studios.

Like for example with the next Gears in not expecting a poor showing because I know how competent the coalition is.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Nah, Halo 4 looked amazing for a 360 title but the others were just above average for their time.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Ok, I read it. It says its in engine but confirms it's prerendered exactly as I'm saying. It isn't realtime.

It is man. Why do you think the resolution increased when running on the XB1X. Its running on the console. You acting like its some Blur Studios prerecorded video created on some separate hardware.

Last edited:

Three

It is man. Why do you think the resolution increased when running on the XB1X. its running on the console. You acting like its some Blur Studios prerecorded video created on some separate hardware.
The intro and outro in your linked video are prerendered. Somebody watching it after your post would think it isn't.

I know 100% it is. Some of the inbetween isn't but expect the same fidelity with Infinite compared to some of the inbetween. The inbetween isn't the same quality graphics as the beginning and end of your linked vid, do you not wonder why?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The intro and outro in your linked video are prerendered. Somebody watching it after your post would think it isn't.

I know 100% it is. Some of the inbetween isn't but expect the same fidelity with Infinite compared to some of the inbetween. The inbetween isn't the same quality graphics as the beginning and end of your linked vid, do you not wonder why?

Halo Infinite doesn't even match the in between in its cutscene let alone the in game . Look at the detail on Buck's face or Halsey's in the beginning which is the in game model like the interview says then look at the pilot in Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
*shrugs*. My understanding is the new game is trying to do something different and be more open world and bigger. Maybe that required an engine change.

Regardless, after seeing how much old tech has held back Bethesda with Elderscrolls, I’m not going to be a hypocrite and roast a studio for trying something new.

onQ123

Halo Infinite needed a new engine because it's going to be upgraded for years to come , Halo Infinite is a plan to be the next Fortnite

Three

Halo Infinite doesn't even match the in between in its cutscene let alone the in game . Look at the detail on Buck's face or Halsey's in the beginning which is the in game model like the interview says then look at the pilot in Halo Infinite.
The beginning with buck is prerendered but in engine prerendered. I'm not sure what interview you mean but your linked article says this in broken english

"Holmes says that opening cinematic was used done in-engine as far as the character models along with pre-rendered CG and post FX."

You can do prerendered CG but in engine.

Anyway, it's not important. I do think infinite character animations do look a little strange in comparison but it should be compared to something like the 35:50 mark in your video which is realtime in engine.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't think the game have pure visuals due to 60FPS is true. Sure you have to sacrifice visuals to obtain that framerate. But the game looks pretty poor overall. I'm pretty sure it's possible to have much better looking visuals at 60FPs. In my opinion I think they had some development issues with the game and that's due to 343 not being as competent as their other 1st party studios.

Like for example with the next Gears in not expecting a poor showing because I know how competent the coalition is.

They should have considered 30 FPS for bone the way Coalition did for Gears. Would give them a lot more room to work with on the visuals.

They should have considered 30 FPS for bone the way Coalition did for Gears. Would give them a lot more room to work with on the visuals.

I think that could have been the issue. The game has to run at 60FPs on the original X1 so they would have to drop the visuals by quite a bit to reach those targets. But then again they did say the X1 wouldn't hold the XSX version back due to the game being made natively for their next gen system.

In my opinion they should have a 4K 30FPs Mode for the single player and then a 60FPs option with dynamic resolution.

Reindeer

Halo 5 engine was too limited for what Infinite is going for. Digital Foundry did say though that they don't see this engine as being next gen ready and that's problematic in of itself. 343 just seems to lack competency and leadership.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think that could have been the issue. The game has to run at 60FPs on the original X1 so they would have to drop the visuals by quite a bit to reach those targets. But then again they did say the X1 wouldn't hold the XSX version back due to the game being made natively for their next gen system.

In my opinion they should have a 4K 30FPs Mode for the single player and then a 60FPs option with dynamic resolution.

Clearly Microsoft is having 343 handle every port in house and not using support studios which leads me to believe they have designed infinite with the same assets across the board which is why it looks so bland.

They should have approached this like FH2.

Reindeer

Clearly Microsoft is having 343 handle every port in house and not using support studios which leads me to believe they have designed infinite with the same assets across the board which is why it looks so bland.

There have been rumours that they're struggling to create all versions of the game simultaneously so you could be right.

I thought they were making the XSX separately based on how they said the One wasn't going to hold it back. But I guess they are doing what you said they are doing. It's really unfortunate because Halo is their biggest franchise.

Also you make a good point that maybe 343 is handling too many versions of the game at once. They could be swamped with work and they really can't focus on any version. That sounds like bad management if true.

There have been rumours that they're struggling to create all versions of the game simultaneously so you could be right.

I'm wondering if this can apply to other developers making cross gen games. Kind of makes me slightly worried.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
5 yrs to develop a new engine and game and then seeing the outcome, is a testament to bad project management and coordination.

Microsoft needs to shake up the heads and project managers.

mejin

Bungie is missing. That is the problem.

343i has a great ip with a rich universe and lore but it is clear they don't know how to explore it. I'm really sad for the lack of talent of this studio.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I remember enjoying Halo 5, game is filled with big moments, gamers are getting hyped from Infinite no question,
Bungie is missing. That is the problem.

343i has a great ip with a rich universe and lore but it is clear they don't know how to explore it. I'm really sad for the lack of talent of this studio.
Bungie abandoned Halo and that fired up Microsoft

Halo Infinite Should Have Just Stayed With Same Engine They Used To Make Halo 1-5.

I'd like to see you try to make an open world multiplayer game with a not-open world engine :)

Ugh no thanks. While the engine did run well, the 30fps background animations were super jarring and annoying to look at. 343 is known for tech wizardry. Halo 4 looked like a early gen Xbox One game on 360 and still looks good to this day.

I also much prefer the more classical art style of Halo Infinite. I think once the game gets ray Tracing and time moves on it will be stellar looking. Hyped.

Sejan

Eventually, engines need to be replaced. Reusing the same engine over and over eventually causes significant problem, even with major rewrites of the code. Just look at Gamebryo being reworked into the creation engine. While it technically worked from its original 1997 release as NetImmerse through Fallout 76 in 2018, it clearly began to have far more problems than it should have had. Although it’s a major investment that may not pay off fully with its first use, reworking a series to a newer, more modern engine is an investment that is absolutely worth making.

anothertech

Or they could have created an engine that looks next gen and shit. So there's that.

Top Bottom