• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is my favorite FPS multiplayer franchise. I despise what it's become.

I have played a hell of a Halo in my life. My friends and I recently played more system linked Halo 3, because despite it being 30 FOR, the split screen and ease of use compared to MCC make it the best way to get this incredible game's thrills. I want to start my friends on Halo 5, but how can I do that when there's no split screen? They're not gonna buy Xbox Ones just to play this.

It's a shame, a lot of flack could go towards Halo 5 but it's an excellent multiplayer overall. Despite that, the lack of split screen makes me impossible to show people.

JaggedSac

I can't say outside of my area, but we all liked the changes for the most part with 2. Ive never really heard anyone complain, but then again I didn't frequent any type of online boards or whatever people used then. 3 was around the time I was getting married and having a son, so I couldn't really say there.

Any complaints I've seen overall with the series started around reach and personally, 4 and 5 feel like the biggest changes gameplay wise in either case.

Like I said, there has been a shit storm around every single Halo release except the first one, lol. Dual weilding, equipment, pistol Nerf in 2, Halo 3 vehicle shittiness, etc. Can't please everyone, devs need to make the game they are passionate about, fuck everyone else. People will like it or they won't, same as any game.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Like I said, there has been a shit storm around every single Halo release except the first one, lol. Dual weilding, equipment, pistol Nerf in 2, Halo 3 vehicle shittiness, etc. Can't please everyone, devs need to make the game they are passionate about, fuck everyone else. People will like it or they won't, same as any game.

Halo has suffered because of 343 trying to please the vocal minority.

jelly

Halo has suffered because of 343 trying to please the vocal minority.

Would Halo 4 be the purest form of Halo done by 343 with little feedback as possible during development?

You can't please everyone and they've tried to cater to Pro's, casuals with Halo 5, seems like chalk and cheese to people.

I agree somewhat that they should just make something fun for themselves and see what happens but make no mistake they still focus test these games and tailor it to users. Not unique to 343.

jelly

Should make a new Halo IP so they don't have to conform and do whatever they want, see how people take a clean slate spin off. I wish they would do something soon.

Head.spawn

Should make a new Halo IP so they don't have to conform and do whatever they want, see how people take a clean slate spin off. I wish they would do something soon.

To be honest they should've not made 4 and just done a reboot right off the bat.

That way it's clear they aren't trying to step on the older legacy, a visual overhaul would differentiate it so people aren't complaining about "that looked cooler in the older game",etc etc.. How it actually went is that they decided to iterate and jump off of Halo Reach, which was probably the all around worst Halo IMO. Halo CE birthed Halo 2/3. Halo 4/5 are the adopted kids of Halo Reach; granted I prefer both to Halo Reach in all regards.

If they chose H3 as their starting point or even just went with a reboot, I feel like over all, people would have been more receptive of those two stances.

This is from over a damn year ago man lol.. I guess you couldn't tolerate it so much that you kept playing it and making complaint posts/threads.

Hey man, I actually kept playing for several reasons:
-I love you guys on HaloGAF and wanted to keep running games
-I love my friends IRL who kept trying to play it--recently an old Team Doubles/MLG buddy reconnected with me and we tried Halo 5
-I don't mind keeping an open mind and trying to learn something new, so I was just trying to give the game another chance.

There was a long time between this thread and my thread about network woes. I didn't play Halo 5 for nearly 6-8 months it seems. If you notice in this original OP, I mention that there is no casual playlists--a lot has changed since then so I wanted to give it a whirl again and see if I could adapt. I could "adapt", but I simply didn't enjoy it. I love talking about nerdy mechanics and design, which this thread was a better fit.

Hi Fahzgoolin, I like your post.

Multiplayer games. for me, keep my attention by having both a higher skill floor and skill ceiling. My drive to having fun in these naturally competitive games is learning about the mechanics and how best to incorporate it all to best the enemy team. Previous Halo games fit in this category easily though what I love about Halo 5 specifically is that it give you more mechanics, more complexity you need to grasp in order to stay competitive. I think most people aren't like me, but I love this so much. For example, understanding when to use thrusters and how to shoot while thrusting (which is kinda hard, from what I seen of upper diamond/lower onyx players) are added additions to the complexity bring me back in.

It seems like we are at opposite ends lol. While I like how Halo has incorporated more complexity, you are yearning for the beauty of simplicity that we've seen in previous Halo games. Correct me if I am interpreting you incorrectly but it sounds like that game has just become "too competitive" for you. In order words, this is no longer a pick up and play game where you can have come casual fun in BTB, which I totally agree with and believe that this is a reason why it is nowhere near as popular as other multiplayer games like Overwatch and CoD. In Halo 2 and 3, there were playlists where you could be competitive though there were others were if you wanted to have a good time, you could do that easily. In essence, Halo has become less of a social game and more competitive, focusing more on strategy and winning.

A comment about the video: very informative, to the point, makes great points. I agree with him though I still do not thing adding sprint and clambering has damaged Halo all that much.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful post, taahahmed!

To answer your question, it's not that I think the game has gotten too competitive. In a lot of ways it's a lot less accessible than in the past (which I think is a potentially bad thing for various reasons), but Halo 5's competetive nature seems to be contradicted by numerous design decisions that plague the experience for me.

You know my gripes with sprint's implementation and certain "enhanced mobility" features. You've got abilities that end up creating a much more defensive gameplay style at high level play because chasing a weakened enemy into enemy territory via sprint with your weapon down could easily cost you your life. Halo 5 has some satisfying and difficult engagements, but then you can just as easily negate the challenge by thrusting back into cover/running away (especially at medium/long ranges). In Halo 5 your hand is being held with grenade hitmarkers--allowing you to spam certain key spots without an enemy visible. Get the hitmarker? Just throw another one right away. Don't get a hitmarker, but hear someone thrust out of the way? Throw another one a little further...etc.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good challenge, but at higher level sweaty competitive play, the mechanics simultaneously make things more complex while also dumbing the experience down and limiting your playstyle and options. In reality, I think the previous games were much harder to master and compete at a high level, but far easier to jump in and play. I took the time to get quite good at Halo 5, but a lot of it felt dirty, cheap, and simply unfun. I love the shooting feel though...getting 5 shots with pistol when the hits actually register consistently is a thrill unmatched by current games today.

I have played a hell of a Halo in my life. My friends and I recently played more system linked Halo 3, because despite it being 30 FOR, the split screen and ease of use compared to MCC make it the best way to get this incredible game's thrills. I want to start my friends on Halo 5, but how can I do that when there's no split screen? They're not gonna buy Xbox Ones just to play this.

It's a shame, a lot of flack could go towards Halo 5 but it's an excellent multiplayer overall. Despite that, the lack of split screen makes me impossible to show people.
Your taking your example and your situation at hand first here which is ok that's what everyone does. But to understand what I and everyone else also doesn't like is where understanding comes into play. It isn't just lack of split screen that is the issue. Are you sure your friends won't find other faults with five that you don't for example?

I can't get people I know into it, even half the people I met in halo five itself were speaking over mic with such phrases such as this just isn't halo etc and complaints on map deign and such.

Maybe it is a solid playing game, but I just don't enjoy it the same as I do other halos or even siege. So it isn't just cause it has changes from the halo formula what it does just isn't as good to for me personally

Some some ask why we can't just play the old ones but rather it's good or bad the newer one is usually the one that has the most active players as the old ones die no matter what. The issue with later halos being that they are sort of disliked more on average even by a lot of the player base playing it right now.

I have very rarely ran into people with mics that said this is the best halo to me. Yes you have people here and on halo 5 that feel it's best but I don't think I ever personally met one that said it's great and I just didn't run into them randomly but I'm saying for me to run into well over a dozen saying it isn't good and never randomly met a player while playing halo 5 say its great, best halo has to have some true reasoning.. There are just more people out there that dislike this one than like it. It seems fairly plausible to me. Sure, two hundred people can reply to me that it's best here right now but this has more to do with people taking interest in halo than those that who just ignore halo now that use to love it

I tried not to say much about the game while playing because psychologically I wanted to know what the player base felt without any influence. So if they brought up how they were not totally into halo five of just agree or then talk about it, but very very common for randoms to tell me it isn't what they really like in a halo. Of course thieks was early last year or so and wasn't often anyone young from what I could tell

VeeP

Has 343 ever thought about a classic playlist?

No thrust, clamber, sprint etc? Just 110% movement speed on smaller maps?

I can see why they made the changes to Halo, but I feel like if they added in a classic playlist plus social modes, more people might find the game accessible?

I can see why they made the changes to Halo, but I feel like if they added in a classic playlist plus social modes, more people might find the game accessible?

Working on a classic H3 playlist atm I believe. Nok is currently grabbing maps for it and prepping them if I remember correctly. I know they were getting some feedback for it on beyond, but I don't believe the specifics have been detailed as of yet other than it's happening.

Edit: guess it may be some whole off if fahz is correct (which kind of stinks).

This is the only guarantee with each new Halo game.

The unfortunate truth. This is why I hope 343 can at least mend the community in some way by providing queues for both playstyles. Instead of using development time and resources on something new, like Breakout, they could have their enhanced mobility default, Warzone 2.0, and classic playlists with slayer and objective on properly designed maps.

I can't get people I know into it, even half the people I met in halo five itself were speaking over mic with such phrases such as this just isn't halo etc and complaints on map deign and such.

Maybe it is a solid playing game, but I just don't enjoy it the same as I do other halos or even siege. So it isn't just cause it has changes from the halo formula what it does just isn't as good to for me personally

I thought these kinds of discussions were relevant and meaningful to only people like us enthusiasts on game forums, but in my experience it definitely is not. I met a lot of people at my job who got into Halo at various times, but they all have mentioned in some capacity (without my initial input) that the new style of Halo just doesn't feel good to them. So they end up playing games like COD, Destiny, Overwatch, CSGO, or Rainbow Six Siege. One of those friends I tried to get into Halo 5 with me for Team Doubles, but it was just an infuriating experience because his expectations on how a Halo game should be played was solidified by Halo 3--which is a vastly different experience.

The current trajectory for the Halo 3 playlist is "months as opposed to weeks." So we don't know how soon we will get it. I jumped off Halo 5 in the mean time and I might jump back into play some new classic Halo...could end up being worth the hard drive space.

Also this thread is living proof of how much Bungie messed up making drastic changes with each sequel.

My preference is still Halo CE, but I still loved and appreciated 2 and 3. They had some changes, but the core experience was largely the similar. Bungie then set the course of the franchise into confusion with their Halo spin-off: Halo Reach. Unfortunately for 343, they made the decision to try to retain a lot of the added features of Halo Reach (besides firefight...) and the series has never been the same. You could see the writing on the wall that Bungie's Halo Reach was an experiment for what they desired to make next in Destiny.

jelly

To be honest they should've not made 4 and just done a reboot right off the bat.

That way it's clear they aren't trying to step on the older legacy, a visual overhaul would differentiate it so people aren't complaining about "that looked cooler in the older game",etc etc.. How it actually went is that they decided to iterate and jump off of Halo Reach, which was probably the all around worst Halo IMO. Halo CE birthed Halo 2/3. Halo 4/5 are the adopted kids of Halo Reach; granted I prefer both to Halo Reach in all regards.

If they chose H3 as their starting point or even just went with a reboot, I feel like over all, people would have been more receptive of those two stances.

I honestly don't see the connection with Bungie Reach and 343 Halo 4. Halo 3 already introduced equipment, Reach/4 were just a slick way of doing it. Reach is still a very good game, one of the best campaigns for sure and I played loads of multiplayer which had issues like the rest but it was fine when Bungie cut armour lock from playlists only fr 343 to start their run of awful playlist management and the DLC was pretty good while there was a playlist for it, again, 343 killed it.

343 just messed up Halo 4, they no doubt aimed high and it didn't work out, was a tough ask. Chief out there alone with Cortana fighting against an unknown foe, sign me up! What we got, hey Chief, the UNSC is here! You were lost, first I heard of it. Awful enemies, bad levels, bad art style, bad characters, bad multiplayer but solid gun play, 343 are pretty good at that, although on the boring side, Alien Human weapons. They could have ignored Chief in space for a few games as well and done something else to cut their teeth which would have been cool, maybe Blue Team.

The way you or devs make maps and how a game plays can't be changed so easily. The entire map design and how things work like nades and physics need to be designed around everything else. You can't just remove clamber and sprint and have the game function right on these maps.

The unfortunate truth. This is why I hope 343 can at least mend the community in some way by providing queues for both playstyles. Instead of using development time and resources on something new, like Breakout, they could have their enhanced mobility default, Warzone 2.0, and classic playlists with slayer and objective on properly designed maps.

I thought these kinds of discussions were relevant and meaningful to only people like us enthusiasts on game forums, but in my experience it definitely is not. I met a lot of people at my job who got into Halo at various times, but they all have mentioned in some capacity (without my initial input) that the new style of Halo just doesn't feel good to them. So they end up playing games like COD, Destiny, Overwatch, CSGO, or Rainbow Six Siege. One of those friends I tried to get into Halo 5 with me for Team Doubles, but it was just an infuriating experience because his expectations on how a Halo game should be played was solidified by Halo 3--which is a vastly different experience.

The current trajectory for the Halo 3 playlist is "months as opposed to weeks." So we don't know how soon we will get it. I jumped off Halo 5 in the mean time and I might jump back into play some new classic Halo...could end up being worth the hard drive space.

My preference is still Halo CE, but I still loved and appreciated 2 and 3. They had some changes, but the core experience was largely the similar. Bungie then and set the course of the franchise into confusion with their Halo spin-off: Halo Reach. Unfortunately for 343, they made the decision to try to retain a lot of the added features of Halo Reach (besides firefight...) and the series has never been the same. You could see the writing on the wall that Bungie's Halo Reach was an experiment for what they desired to make next in Destiny.
Most average halo players are far and away anyone that would ever visit gaf. They are sports addicts, guys who hardly play or know much about gaming on an enthusiast level. They are halo enthusiasts to be honest.

I honestly don't see the connection with Bungie Reach and 343 Halo 4. Halo 3 already introduced equipment, Reach/4 were just a slick way of doing it. Reach is still a very good game, one of the best campaigns for sure and I played loads of multiplayer which had issues like the rest but it was fine when Bungie cut armour lock from playlists only fr 343 to start their run of awful playlist management and the DLC was pretty good while there was a playlist for it, again, 343 killed it.

343 just messed up Halo 4, they no doubt aimed high and it didn't work out, was a tough ask. Chief out there alone with Cortana fighting against an unknown foe, sign me up! What we got, hey Chief, the UNSC is here! You were lost, first I heard of it. Awful enemies, bad levels, bad art style, bad characters, bad multiplayer but solid gun play, 343 are pretty good at that, although on the boring side, Alien Human weapons. They could have ignored Chief in space for a few games as well and done something else to cut their teeth which would have been cool, maybe Blue Team.
Grav lifts were not that bad. They also didn't mess with the core halo map, movement or gameplay at all. They were a simple additive that could add a lot in small doses. Just like lifting up to areas in flag or objective playlists. Still placed on the map and still optional.

I know many hated bubble shields but again, a basic additive to the core gameplay and no matter much someone may have hated bubble shields they likely used them and had fun with them at some point.

Adding in things like a grave lift is the inspiration 343 should have took, I'm definitely not saying it has to be a grav lift but expanding on this idea that is like an additive instead of a drastic change to the game is what should have happened.

You also get semi additive changes in map design. It's hard to imagine a halo without guardian or lockout but that kind of map design wasn't really in halo one. You can make new styles of halo maps that feel well and do new things with new possibilities without ripping at the core of halo. This is what happened in the trilogy and honestly halo teach was still near that line of thinking in map design.

Four is a her map design took a huge hit in that formula and five was better but still clearly went away from the formula for, the additives in sprint and especially clamber also just get too far away from the core.

You could even have a platform floating in the air with nothing connected to it...with lifts that launch you to it and as long as it actually plays like core halo it just sort of works out..

Here's an example of a control scheme from Halo: CE.

OG_Green_Thumb_xbox.jpg

Shit could not possibly be any simpler.

Here's an example of a control scheme from Halo 5.

That's why I despise Halo 5. The rules used to be simple. The games used to be accessible. The controls used to be designed around enabling UNCOMPROMISED GAMEPAD CONTROL.

If you're playing Halo 5 and you're not using an Elite Controller with all four paddles, you're compromised. And that's fucked.

Sprint is my biggest peeve along with the loadouts

I loathe Halo Reach and everything after it for it. I hate how people thought the game needed sprint to be modern

The irony of people criticizing halo for being outdated for NOT having sprint when Overwatch is now one of the biggest MP games...

Cranster

Banned
I do have to agree that Halo works best when it's simplified. I don't mind spartan abilities in Halo 5 either. But it needs lots of tweaking/refinements and the maps leave alot to be desired.

That's why I despise Halo 5. The rules used to be simple. The games used to be accessible. The controls used to be designed around enabling UNCOMPROMISED GAMEPAD CONTROL.

If you're playing Halo 5 and you're not using an Elite Controller with all four paddles, you're compromised.
Err... I'd argue against this. Play with Recon and the only thing that's a pain is switching nades but it's been like that since Reach.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

If you're playing Halo 5 and you're not using an Elite Controller with all four paddles, you're compromised.

Excluding the 4 optional paddles, which are duplicates of front-facing controls anyway, there is a grand total of 3 extra controls. And one of those is the opposite grenade cycle on the D-pad.

So really it's 2 extra buttons, including the largely unnecessary "issue orders" button.

I don't think those screenshots made the point I think you thought they'd make.

Sprint is my biggest peeve along with the loadouts

I loathe Halo Reach and everything after it for it. I hate how people thought the game needed sprint to be modern

The irony of people criticizing halo for being outdated for NOT having sprint when Overwatch is now one of the biggest MP games...
Don't forget CSGO - I don't think Halo needed sprint to be modern, but to make it faster. I always thought Halo would work really well as a Quake type game where your movement speed was faster - you move faster in CS then you do in Halo, you move about as fast as Roadhog in Overwatch in Halo 1-3, don't get me wrong, I enjoy classic Halo but I always thought one of the biggest issues was your top seed was too slow. Halo 5's implementation of it was really good, but honestly just increasing your overall top speed would have worked just as well.

Err... I'd argue against this. Play with Recon and the only thing that's a pain is switching nades but it's been like that since Reach.
There are a bevy of important things that I can do with the Elite Controller that I cannot do with Recon. The most important of which being that I never have to lift my thumb off the right analog stick. That enables me to track moving enemies while bunny-hopping. That enables me to thruster pack in any direction with incredible ease swiftness. That enables me to melee enemies and never miss. That enables me to keep my aim centered on an enemy while I switch weapons or grenades. And so on.

Excluding the 4 optional paddles, which are duplicates of front-facing controls anyway, there is a grand total of 3 extra controls. And one of those is the opposite grenade cycle on the D-pad.

So really it's 2 extra buttons, including the largely unnecessary "issue orders" button.

I don't think those screenshots made the point I think you thought they'd make.

There is no control scheme in Halo 5 as uncompromised as Bumper Jumper had been in previous Halo games. I still have to compromise my ability to aim in order to access a bevy of functions that are core to my moveset.

There are a bevy of important things that I can do with the Elite Controller that I cannot do with Recon. The most important of which being that I never have to lift my thumb off the right analog stick. That enables me to track moving enemies while bunny-hopping. That enables me to thruster pack in any direction with incredible ease swiftness. That enables me to melee enemies and never miss. That enables me to keep my aim centered on an enemy while I switch weapons or grenades. And so on.

There is no control scheme in Halo 5 as uncompromised as Bumper Jumper had been in previous Halo games. I still have to compromise my ability to aim in order to access a bevy of functions that are core to my moveset.
I mean you could argue you're at a disadvantage in any shooter without an Elite controller with that logic.

The game is less approachable for sure. But honestly I don't have a problem with that, I love the maneuverability options it's introduced even if it requires a lot more focus and reaction time. They've still kept the ttk long enough that it feels Halo to me, even if you get the drop on someone (which is now easier to do), a duel still takes place and the player in the defensive position has a chance to react and evade or attack.

More than anything, my gripes in Halo 5 arena were the maps. I just don't think they've figured out how to design them around the dynamic traversal that the new abilities offer.

But OP, while I get your concern I think your underlying argument is flawed. You seem to want the methodical nature of the older Halo's, but I think that Halo 5 still has that just with time crunched down to make it more of a factor. The gameplay offers more prospect for variability which I think is necessary for the evolution of shooters, and I think your gripes with that come from unwillingness to evolve with it matched with nostalgia and possibly changing gaming philosophies that come with age. There's not anything wrong with that, but I do believe in calling it what it is. The game has changed, maybe you've changed, and the two no longer match up the way you want it to.

I mean you could argue you're at a disadvantage in any shooter without an Elite controller with that logic.

You could, but I haven't played any other shooter on Xbox One where having paddles felt like such an advantage. I set my paddles to Jump, Thruster Jump, Switch Weapons, and Switch Grenades.

There'd be no reason for me to reserve two paddles for mobility functions like that in games like Call of Duty or Battlefield where they're not quite as relevant. Those games, I only use two paddles, one for weapon swap, one for a healing gadget or special ability.

In Halo, placing Jump and Thruster Jump on paddles lets me bunny-hop and dodge dudes like nobody's business. While shooting them all the while, mind you.

Pein

Banned
I'm with you dude, I can see why people like halo after halo 3 but I just don't like. It doesn't feel like halo anymore and I can only hope for a 3 remake. Done with the series until then.

jem0208

If you're playing Halo 5 and you're not using an Elite Controller with all four paddles, you're compromised. And that's fucked.
You really aren't compromised unless you're playing at the very top level. That's the only time when you might need paddles.

You can still be very competitive without them.

Halo is the worst shooter franchise that's currently alive, just so far behind every other game released last year that it's embarrassing - Doom, Titanfall, Battlefield, Destiny, Overwatch all better. Even Cod:IW did the military scifi thing so much better in its first attempt than 343's fourth. Halo 5 was a generation behind graphically, a complete lack of variety in missions, terrible bossfights, narrow campaign levels, vehicle corridors, weird pointless hubs, terrible incomprehensible story, bland forerunners, no interesting setpieces, less than 1-dimensional characters, terrible MP maps, shoddy netcode, the worst microtransaction system and launched incredibly buggy with loads of missing features and basically Early Access.

It's just sad how far the franchise has fallen.

Absolutely insanity lol. I'm sorry but you have god awful taste.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I used to enjoy Halo games primarily for the SP campaign. Each installment I've liked the campaigns less and less. CE and Halo 2 were by far my favorite campaigns in the series. Since then I find them all incredibly forgettable.

I used to play CE and 2's campaigns over and over again with friends.

I used to be really into PvP but not so much anymore. I stopped being into that after Halo 3. I don't really play FPS games online anymore.

You really aren't compromised unless you're playing at the very top level. That's the only time when you might need paddles.

You can still be very competitive without them.

You're not wrong, but I'm a stickler. I bought an Elite Controller two hours into Halo 5, for Halo 5.

opricnik

Banned
It has changes, just as halo 2 and 3 had changes that made the movement and small things much more refined. You didn't try hard and only stayed to the main point in your head.

A lot of people do say halo 2 is best but if you look at them more strongly halo 2 does have design issues that 3 doesn't. Lockout for example barely has any space to move around and shoot cross map. Yes you can shoot cross map and get use to it but the area of movement isn't very large, the width on this is just sort of wrong and something you notice on the remake. Map width and area just feels much better. Not saying the map is overall better cause of some other issues but this was advancement in tech and development experience into three.

What your saying doesn't really add up in my mind.

I don't see the need to make map design completly different in what four and five had.

You can still refine the game and overall experience while still keeping it in like with halo as one two and three did.

Do we suddenly make gran Turisomo into a burnout? Gran Turisomo has mostly been the same game with adding in better and more advanced technology. But bungie made more changes in halo than gt ever as honestly.

As you can see, your being a bit unfair in your assertion.

There is technically nothing wrong with making halo not halo in the case of four and five burning like halo for a reason. I like what it was, why would I want it to be drastically different. There are other games for that and was

Such as cod, I didn't want cod. I wanted halo, so if I want halo why would I not want it. Isnt that simple enough and don't see why you can't understand honestly.

More halo 3 maps woukd be simply amazing btw better than all of halo 5 for me.

So, if I like super mario three but I don't like new super mario. Which sequel do you feel id like more? Better to go with super mario 3 2 for me.

Cod is going back to something more people seem to like as well.

If all the halo five players hate a return to form well, they have choices to skip it just like I and millions of halo fans have had to ignore five.

This post literally touches all good points

You guys can literally go play Halo 3 RIGHT NOW with MCC. I don't want 343i to keep making Halo 3 ever 3 years for the rest of eternity. For those that do there is MCC.

Hey man, I actually kept playing for several reasons:
-I love you guys on HaloGAF and wanted to keep running games
-I love my friends IRL who kept trying to play it--recently an old Team Doubles/MLG buddy reconnected with me and we tried Halo 5
-I don't mind keeping an open mind and trying to learn something new, so I was just trying to give the game another chance.

There was a long time between this thread and my thread about network woes. I didn't play Halo 5 for nearly 6-8 months it seems. If you notice in this original OP, I mention that there is no casual playlists--a lot has changed since then so I wanted to give it a whirl again and see if I could adapt. I could "adapt", but I simply didn't enjoy it. I love talking about nerdy mechanics and design, which this thread was a better fit.
I hear ya, that's why at the end of the day I can't really blame you either because many of us have been where you are right now. You know how mind-numbing it was to read "Bungie nerf the BR!!!!!!" throughout Halo 3's life? I felt like a washing machine trapped in an endless cycle of "The BR isn't overpowered.. the rest of the sandbox is just really weak" lol.

Hopefully we get the Customs Browser at launch and matchmaking toggles to play what we want, when we want.

When I noticed what 343i was trying to do in Halo 4 my love for Halo greatly diminished. Not only the core mechanics but everything they did was pretty mediocre.

I miss Halo and I would buy an Xbox just to play it if we were in the Bungie era but with 343i on the helm? Nope nope nope.

jem0208

You guys can literally go play Halo 3 RIGHT NOW with MCC. I don't want 343i to keep making Halo 3 ever 3 years for the rest of eternity. For those that do there is MCC.
Had the MCC not launched as a broken mess and as such had a decent population still i might have agreed with you.

Those aren't changes to the core mechanics of the game tho. Halo 5 is barely even a halo game in regard to the mechanics.

The one thing I will give 343 is that Halo 4 had a GREAT campaign. Halo 5 tho? Lol

Head.spawn

This post literally touches all good points

I'd be okay with that. As much as I like the Halo 5 gameplay, that doesn't mean I'd be upset with them using Halo 2 with a dash of 3 as a basis for a new game, prequel or a spinoff. The Master Chief Collection proved that gameplay still holds up extremely well.

Honestly I can go either way; my only preference is that the game is done well.

shoreu

Absolutely insanity lol. I'm sorry but you have god awful taste.

This is what I mean man the hyperbole surrounding this game is ridiculous you its almost impossible to have a genuine conversation on the game. People are insane to say it's the worst shooter ever complete nonsense and not worth the time spent arguing

Lol. Sometimes these shitposts are really well done.

Pong only had two controls. Every game that has more than that is garbage.

When I noticed what 343i was trying to do in Halo 4 my love for Halo greatly diminished. Not only the core mechanics but everything they did was pretty mediocre.

I miss Halo and I would buy an Xbox just to play it if we were in the Bungie era but with 343i on the helm? Nope nope nope.

But Halo 4 was a continuation of what Bungie was doing with Reach.... So do you similarly hate Bungie Halo?

Lol. Sometimes these shitposts are really well done.

Pong only had two controls. Every game that has more than that is garbage.

How is that a shitpost? When you're designing maps for people to Sprint Thrust Slide Jump Stabilize and Clamber around and then require 6 different button presses for each, you're going to alienate people who don't play Street Fighter

But Halo 4 was a continuation of what Bungie was doing with Reach.... So do you similarly hate Bungie Halo?

I played it cause some were playing but overall I wasnt a huge fan, overall movement and aiming felt alright but the bloom effect and dmr just wasn't for me at all. It still mostly felt like Halo with a little too much changed at least and felt right but the added stuff just never felt right and I stuck to Halo 3 through most of reach's first year.

Top Bottom