• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fathead

"Halo 5’s campaign provides a huge variety of experiences: from giant battles amidst large-scale destruction to quieter moments spent exploring the ruins of alien civilizations or interacting with the habitants of a human colony beyond the reach of the UNSC."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-building-an-epic-campaign

Squeeee! Innies? Maybe some folks who just hauled ass away from UNSC space to avoid getting killed by the Covenant? Maybe one of those worlds we saw in the comics & K5 where humans & aliens just co-mingle on the fringe?

Month and a half to go!

First thought is we are gonna see where Preston Cole ended up.

Tyrus

Banned

Xytan 'Jar Wattinree The Imperial Admiral 11'6" monster.

My favourite Sanghelli character from Ghosts of Onyx. He sounded like an absolute beast, though I suspect the holograms played a part in his larger-than-life appearance to the others gathered there. I also always loved re-reading the description of his ornamental armour; sounded so unique and the artwork does it justice.

I wonder what would have happened had he gone up against Thel Vadum and Jul Mdama; he would pulled significant numbers from both sides as well as having the Combined Fleet of Righteous Purpose, and would have messed things up during the Great Schism.

Was Imperial Admiral the highest rank in the Covenant military for an Elite?

That would be pretty cool I just hope Red Team makes it through the game Douglas wasn't looking too good in that trailer.

I'm curious to find out what happened to "that" Red Team since 2531. Did the three Spartan-IIs make it back in time for Reach? Or are their numbers forever a discrepancy in the total count present there?

rrc1594

Reading through Halo lore. What a PoS race the Forerunners were. Everything that is a conflict in Halo was their fault. They went against the Precursors because they weren't the "chosen" one. Which made the flood, which cause Human-Forerunners war. They sent human back to the stone-age, they try use us as slave for their war against the flood. What a bunch of assholes.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So I watched the H5 cinematic trailers today (including the leaked one) and came up with a speculative sequence of events for that scene.
Locke's team looking around in a glowy red magma place. Buck points at something!

Blue Team approaching Locke in a glowy blue magma place, weapons holstered. Locke has his rifle trained on MC and looks pretty edgy.

MC and Locke engaged in fisticuffs: MC head-butts Locke and lands a straight to the body. They appear to be in front of a portal in a glowy blue magma place.

MC, in a glowy blue magma place, rises from one knee, his visor cracked. Because the leak is so blurry it's hard to tell if his visor cracked head-butting Locke or if it's from whatever sent him to his knees.

The Warden from the E3 Demo sends Locke's team flying off a platform in a glowy blue magma place.

MC (visor cracked) and Blue Team are in a lovely looking place with waterfalls and glowy blue things, the total opposite of their previous environment.

Fuchsdh

Reading through Halo lore. What a PoS race the Forerunners were. Everything that is a conflict in Halo was their fault. They went against the Precursors because they weren't the "chosen" one. Which made the flood, which cause Human-Forerunners war. They sent human back to the stone-age, they try use us as slave for their war against the flood. What a bunch of assholes.
To be fair to the Forerunners, the Precursors essentially considered the universe their science experiment. We wouldn't idly sit by if another alien race had the capability to wipe us off the map as soon as it's interest in us was exhausted.

To be fair to the Forerunners, the Precursors essentially considered the universe their science experiment. We wouldn't idly sit by if another alien race had the capability to wipe us off the map as soon as it's interest in us was exhausted.

This is true, but they're still space dicks :)

Stupid Amazon didn't do release day delivery for my book.. so I won't get it till tomorrow.. hope its good!

I really hope the big story parts of H5 don't leak early. I am SOOOO bad about not reading them (I'm looking at YOU MGSV).

Bsigg12

This is true, but they're still space dicks :)

Stupid Amazon didn't do release day delivery for my book.. so I won't get it till tomorrow.. hope its good!

I really hope the big story parts of H5 don't leak early. I am SOOOO bad about not reading them (I'm looking at YOU MGSV).

I may have read all but 40 pages of it last night. I looked at the clock and was like oh shit it's 2am.

Bsigg12

Yay? Nay? Hopefully the reading session was an indication that it's good..

Tick tock come on Amazon!

I personally have really enjoyed it. The Spartan IIIs in it are interesting and it gives Fred a lot of personality which has me really looking forward to how they portray him in 5.

Fathead

Another fairly self contained story. i liked it, not as much as some of the others.

I did like the concept of how it is connected to MD. A small thing in one story kicks off this otherwise unrelated story.

Finished Last Light, it was a pretty small, self contained story with little apparent relevance to the broader universe aside from giving Fred some characterization, but damn the quality of the writing was worlds apart from Hunters in the Dark. Just a much more enjoyable read, had me hooked from start to finish. I wasn't huge on the way the Gamma plotline was resolved... and more to the point wasn't really aware of any real need for resolution until it was brought up. It wasn't apparent that there were any survivors to tell the tale of what happens when they go off their 'smoothers,' so who exactly was Parangosky placating by 'disappearing' them? That being said, the concept of a Spartan III investigative team is pretty cool, whether or not Veta Lopis needed to be any part of it. Anyhow, an enjoyable read overall, and certainly furthered my already great excitement for Halo 5. I really hope the game delivers on the narrative front, it seems so well primed to do so.

Holy crap!

Just finished Last Light and I thought it was fantastic!

As Oblivionmancer mentioned, the writing was great. It felt almost Nylund-esque to me in a few spots, and it is a great blend of technical and easy reading. I blew threw the book in a day and a half (only because I had to do some house cleaning yesterday..).

SPOILERSSS!

So THAT'S why the Spartan-III's were KIA.. sneaky Catalog! Didn't think they'd be assigned to a new secret division.. came as a total surprised. I figured it was a slip up and we'd just see them die in the book. Bravo!

Highly recommend!

Bsigg12

Holy crap!

Just finished Last Light and I thought it was fantastic!

As Oblivionmancer mentioned, the writing was great. It felt almost Nylund-esque to me in a few spots, and it is a great blend of technical and easy reading. I blew threw the book in a day and a half (only because I had to do some house cleaning yesterday..).

SPOILERSSS!

So THAT'S why the Spartan-III's were KIA.. sneaky Catalog! Didn't think they'd be assigned to a new secret division.. came as a total surprised. I figured it was a slip up and we'd just see them die in the book. Bravo!

Highly recommend!

The
Forerunner spacetime thing
Fred stared at for 2 hours mist have been something amazing.

The
Forerunner spacetime thing
Fred stared at for 2 hours mist have been something amazing.

Absolutely!

Wonder if we'll visit this planet again..

Loved all the little ties to the K5 trilogy too.

I really enjoyed this book. Wish
Kelly and Linda
had more 'screen' time, but it would be hard to focus on so many different characters I imagine.

Bsigg12

Absolutely!

Wonder if we'll visit this planet again..

Loved all the little ties to the K5 trilogy too.

I really enjoyed this book. Wish
Kelly and Linda
had more 'screen' time, but it would be hard to focus on so many different characters I imagine.

Yep. Have we ever seen Veta anywhere else or is this her first official appearance?
That ferret squad seems like it would an interesting point of view for a Halo related espionage story.

Fuchsdh

Last Light was a breezy and enjoyable read. Almost wish they'd kept up the mystery angle for longer before it segued into Black Hawk Down but stil enjoyable, with a few intriguing plot hooks for the future.

So the gist I get is that New Blood is worth reading, Hunters In the Dark is not, and Last Light is great. Sound about right?

Saint's Testimony was excellent, just wondering how much time to commit to the rest.

shoreu

My favourite Sanghelli character from Ghosts of Onyx. He sounded like an absolute beast, though I suspect the holograms played a part in his larger-than-life appearance to the others gathered there. I also always loved re-reading the description of his ornamental armour; sounded so unique and the artwork does it justice.

I wonder what would have happened had he gone up against Thel Vadum and Jul Mdama; he would pulled significant numbers from both sides as well as having the Combined Fleet of Righteous Purpose, and would have messed things up during the Great Schism.

Was Imperial Admiral the highest rank in the Covenant military for an Elite?

I'm curious to find out what happened to "that" Red Team since 2531. Did the three Spartan-IIs make it back in time for Reach? Or are their numbers forever a discrepancy in the total count present there?

Xytan would have killed the prophets as soon as he learned the truth. He, Fal, and Thel are the most influential elites to ever grace their race IMO. They didn't even want him on the front lines because he'd win too much and gain even more power in the covenant.

Most of Spartan team Omega died IIRC. Only Alice, Douglas, and Jerome are still kicking i think. we also have Jai and his crew out there where ever they are.

So Ben returns, as does FERO and Petra plus Mark Hamill is involved too? Article says there won't be as many episodes however, each will be a little longer than season 1's and the story will pick up and be moving a lot quicker by the sounds of things. Really like to sound if all this.

Motherofgod.gif

Fuchsdh

So Ben returns, as does FERO and Petra plus Mark Hamill is involved too? Article says there won't be as many episodes however, each will be a little longer than season 1's and the story will pick up and be moving a lot quicker by the sounds of things. Really like to sound if all this.

Motherofgod.gif

Don't forget Bruce Thomas, who IIRC not only did the mocap for Chief in Halo 4, but provided the voice of Halsey's ONI interrogator :)

Ein Bear

I completely missed Hunt the Truth when it first came out, but I just listened to the first hour on my commute today and holy shit this is seriously great.

Bsigg12

So the gist I get is that New Blood is worth reading, Hunters In the Dark is not, and Last Light is great. Sound about right?

Saint's Testimony was excellent, just wondering how much time to commit to the rest.

Yea, that sounds good. Last Light really was a good read all around. I highly recommend it.

Hunters in the Dark wasn't BAD. I liked it, it just didn't feel as.. I don't know, impactiful? as it could have been? There are definitely seeds sewn in that book which will most likely be important down the road, so I wouldn't skip it.

And is swooningly handsome.

That goes without saying!

Smoolio

What order should I replay Halo 4, watch the spartan ops cinematics, watch the halo 2 Locke stuff, read the latest comics, watch Nightfall and listen to Hunt the Truth?

Did I miss anything haha?

Tzeentch

Halo 4, Spartan Ops cinematics,and Hunt the Truth are good narratives to brush up on. The rest is optional but interesting garnish.

Ein Bear

Can you just watch the cutscenes in Spartan Ops, or does stuff eventually happen during the gameplay? I've played through the first two episodes so far, but it's just such a slog to play through. Even knocking the difficulty down to easy to blow through things, I'm not enjoying it at all.

Tzeentch

There's nothing major you are missing from skipping the in-game story bits. Just watch the cutscenes, which can be done without playing the missions.

Akai__

Halo: Escalation is close to revealing what I think is the opening of Halo 5.

Either Jul M'dama or Halsey will release a new batch of Forerunners and thus awakening the Guardians, don't you think? Find it a little disappointing that they don't tell us how Halsey shut down that Forerunner AI.

Also, I believe one of those 2 Elites is this one:

Probably the imprisoned one (forgot his name), because Ayit has blue armor and gives him the red helmet.

Top Bottom